Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    19,000 steps
    196 minutes of dog walking
    48 minutes garden puttering

:'( This was supposed to be my weight training day but I ran out of steam and my legs are bothering me so I decided to skip it

<3 Barbie
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    m7bnmhebj5bw.jpg
    Just sharing a view of one of our local apple orchards in full blossom!
    Betty ROC
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Such beauty in nature...the blossoms in an orchard, a rainbow in the sky.
    I'm going to sleep tonight thinking of a phrase from Alexander Pope's poem An Essay on Criticism "to err is human, to forgive divine"

GLo on the Morth Shore of Ma.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Barbie, my heart goes out to Jake with his back problems. (Been there, done that) Which vertebrae do they want to fuse? I had S1, L4 &5 fused. I hope it is in his upper spine because that was the most painful recuperation you can imagine. My quality of life has definitely improved but to be honest, I don’t know if I would go through it at this age. Just don’t tell him what I said if it’s lower spine, because sometimes ignorance is bliss. Sending good thoughts and healing prayers.

Katla, so glad you are getting to enjoy your riding lessons and how wonderful when you get in extra time.

Pip. OMG, Yogi was the cutest puppy!!!! All puppies are cute but there is nothing cuter than a lab pup.

Joyce, I know you are anxious about the surgery and wish we could be there with you. Please remember that you have all of these real live friends thinking about you both and wishing you well. group-hugging-smiley-emoticon.gif So sorry the girls are going to disappoint you again.

Lisa, the apartment is looking good. You have sure made progress. builder-smiley-emoticon.gif

Heather, that is terrible that the gift certificate didn’t work. Sometimes things just aren’t as easy as they should be. I hope you enjoyed your DB and DSIL.

Lillian, so glad you are getting some rain! singing-in-the-rain-smiley-emoticon.gif

Allie, who gave you hugs and kisses? Tom? two-worms-in-love-smiley-emoticon.gif See you need to get away more often. Just think if you let him fiend for himself on meals. Lol

Tamyena, welcome. You didn’t carry on too much at all. We love to learn about our new friends. Please sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific. You came in on an unusual day because the group of ladies rarely disagrees on anything. Please come often.

CarolGA, I totally agree with you and I don’t plan to go anywhere! I think it’s fine to voice an opinion if someone says something that offends us but I feel like this discussion has gotten a little out of hand. The poster didn’t call anyone a name or direct a comment towards anyone. I think the point has been made.

Betty, beautiful apple orchards. Look like some dandelions in full bloom too. messy-sneeze.gif

Today my line dance class had our Spring Fling (party). We all bring food, have music and dance and socialize. It was fun but my hips started bothering me so I didn’t dance too much. I’m looking forward to meeting with the trainer at the gym in the morning. We had just a slight touch of rain the past few days and otherwise beautiful weather.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. happy-in-the-sun-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,674 Member
    Options
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Whoo Hoo ... just found out that the 3 of us and our spouses/significant others are going to get together again this Fall ... can't wait. We have so much fun when we do. We'll have a busy summer and fall. Going to sit back and enjoy every minute of it. <3
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    19,000 steps
    196 minutes of dog walking
    48 minutes garden puttering

:'( This was supposed to be my weight training day but I ran out of steam and my legs are bothering me so I decided to skip it

<3 Barbie

We all have days like that occasionally. Hope your back up to par tomorrow. I know it's hard for you not to be your active self.

Janetr okc
  • anniespruce
    anniespruce Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Pip: I understand, that is a great memory. Having a buddy like that is something so special. I had a hiking buddy, Gracie, that I miss everyday. We would take off and go for hours. I figured Gracie went about 4 times further than I did since she would be off in a pasture, racing around hoping for a rabbit, back to check on me, and off again. Never caught one either. She's buried in my garden under some roses. When she died I said that Gracie had such an impact on all of us that it was like the end of an era, the Gracie era. I'm never going to have another dog like Gracie. Now our only dog is a chihuahua, Maggie. I joke that Maggie isn't a REAL dog, just to get a response from the kids. I think she maybe came from that pit in Arizona (the asteroid one). At thanksgiving, which the kids cooked last year, when they opened the oven to check the turkey for the last time, Maggie had had enough. She cried out loud standing and watching them. She was letting them know she just had to have some and right now. All day long, every time they opened the oven, she danced. I know she was thinking "This is it!" until she just couldn't take it anymore.
    Congratulations on your runs! Very impressive! When is the 10k run? I can't even imagine that! I think you might be blessed in a special way. I used to jog a little, about 2 miles, sometimes, but nothing like you do.
    (shhhh....I secretly love Maggie and she loves me and she sneaks up to my room and we share snacks sometimes, which is a no-no).

annie from wy
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    9/10th rain.....ore forecast for tomorrow!! Awesome = the grass is even singing.... :)

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine running at all. Last night we were watching a Hallmark movie I had on the DVR and at this one point the couple had gotten a phone call and they had to rush to the hospital. They were smooching on the football field. So it showed them racing down this football field. Charlie and I just looked at each other like when was the last time we could do that. Heck, I can't even write anymore. The sermon today was on a passage of scripture that a previous pastor had used. I always take notes in my Bible. At that time I was writing cursive. now I print and after a few sentences the printing is bad. The only thing I write is my signature.

When our girls were little we had gerbles and all other sorts of little creatures. This was back in the days when McDonalds sandwiches were in styrafoam containers. So anytime a little creature died, I had to mummify it in paper towels and we had this one space that we had this little cemetary. I would hate to think what it looks like now if anyone would dig that place up. But to your children it is a terrible loss and it needs to be taken care of. I think there were also some dead fish in there. I wish we had a special burial for that one special dog we had, Buddy a sheltie. But I had thought I had asked the vet to do an autopsy on him but the vet didn't get it that we wanted it so it was never done and he was just put with all the other animals that they put down. But he will never be forgotten.

Do you guys remember a couple of Sundays ago when I had a Sunday school lesson and it was on forgiveness and it bothered me so much that I had not forgiven my sister in law during and after my MIL died? Well I thought that his siblings needed to know that their brother was having major surgery so I put a note on face book to them. I set the privacy up to where it was them only. This sister responded and wanted to know what time and where. So I shall see where it goes.

As far as this weekend goes, my oldest daughter is trying to get off her duties at church. She asked me if I needed the whole family to come or just her. She knows how much it means to me to get my Ellie hugs in. This 9 year old is just the most loving thing and so free with her hugs and just bringing me something as simple as taking a block of wood with a heart on it.But I also know how hard it is for children to be visitors. Christina has not told them what kind of surgery he is having and it might be a bit shocking to them with all the tubes and drains. The 14 year old is old enough to understand but why not keep her innocence a little while longer. Now I am speaking as a nurse and a person who loved everything regarding the human body when I was a kid. I think I did an autopsy on every dead animal I could find or the neighbor kids would bring to me. So it would be interesting for her as summer project to look up ulcerative colitis, medical and surgical treatment. Kids have their electronic stuff to much especially summer. And Michelle will stay with us and be there when her Dad goes into surgery. Her room mate/coworker rides to work with her since someone totaled his car. So she would be leaving for work around that time and knowing her she will be texting real often. I hope Christina can get here Friday evening and stay through Sunday afternoon. I joked with Charlie that the first thing I do when I get home friday night is to open the drapes in his bedroom and open his bathroom blinds. He said in just the way he can, leave my room alone. I want sunshine, he likes the living room curtain open.

Joyce, Indiana
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    <3
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Saw ortho @ New England Baptist last Friday re: my left knee. Had cortisone shots & now feel like a new person...worked hours in yard, planted numerous containers with more to do and upped my step count considerably. Wow, what a difference being pain free makes. When discussing knee replacement, Dr. was very matter of fact...2 days in hospital, 4 wks on crutches, 2 months of physical therapy and 2 yrs before complete recovery. He is world renowned and perhaps wants to manage expectations but his bluntness put me off a little. Seems to me some of you here have had knees done...I know everyone is different but I'd be interested in your experience if you wouldn't mind sharing?
    GLo on the North Shore of Ma. looking forward to another day of having fun in the dirt
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies -
    I am home and getting stuff ready for the day.. Will make my lunch and Toms get his dinner together and take a shower and get the dogs out for a walk...then up to Faith after work and get her pills and dinner into her..
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Joyce, Yep, there is a living area (well, a couch and a TV) right in the kitchen area... We're essentially building it as an eat-in kitchen, or the tiniest greatroom you've ever seen. :) We don't have guests the vast majority of the time. My DH and I tend to live quiet (ok, busy, quiet) lives, and just enjoy each other's company.

For those of you who are interested, I included a view of the space as it stands right now. Feel free to skip if this isn't your bag. :) We did decide to make the tiny bedroom into a walk-thru closet. Just not enough airflow into and out of there to make it a comfortable bedroom, but having a dedicated space will resolve a lot of the storage issues now.

I'll probably move all the craft supply shelves in there, build blanket shelves, build shoe racks, etc. May try to convince the DH that it would also be the best place for the washer/dryer. Because, well, it would. But it would require more plumbing work on his part... I think. Might actually make it easier, I don't know. I don't do plumbing or electrical, but I'm a dab hand at handing tools and holding up drywall, and building small stuff, like shelves and storage.

Yesterday, we got the drywall completely up in the bathroom... Debating on whether to start the mudding/taping this morning or go work out. Still debating... :smiley:

Hope everyone has a great week...
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas

The apartment as it stands right now:

j2z6vzz0zvn5.jpg

The apartment we're in the process of building:

tj6dl9oesgdx.jpg
  • KetoneKaren
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Wise Women I love being able to come here for inspiration. What a blessing to have stumbled upon this thread! I wish I could read it from the beginning. (LOL!) What a rich tapestry you ladies have woven.

The Big Fat Wedding was wonderful. The groom didn't take his eyes off his bride from the moment she appeared looking like a fairy tale princess, on her father's arm. The entire ceremony he was engaged with her, it was lovely to see his obvious commitment and adoration. Wow!! Even though he was raised as a Unitarian, and she as a Catholic, a friend of the groom Rabbi David performed the ceremony. It was spectacular to listen to. It so happened that the best man was Jewish and he smiled through the whole ceremony especially when Rabbi was singing. Rabbi has a lovely voice.

Enough about that.

Five Wishes I wanted to clarify something as I see a lot of conversation about this document. It is recognized as a legal document in over 40 U.S. states and territories. That was not something I took into account when I filled it out. I have a will, a durable power of attorney, and an advanced medical directive. And I have Five Wishes. If I lived in Tasmania or Moscow I would have Five Wishes. If I lived in Indiana or Oregon I would have Five Wishes.

There are a lot of somewhat difficult issues that one can choose to address in the Five Wishes document. I revised mine a few times, because it is a process that really got me thinking about the details of my end of life experience, should it be anything other than sudden death. Of course it can be filled in quickly without a lot of detail, but that isn't what I chose.

I put things in there that I like and things that are agitating or annoying. Great fodder for someone who secretly despises me LOL!! And some of you may think it silly, but I am going to go out on a limb here and share 4 of the things I put in my Five Wishes document. I asked that my pillowcase be pulled smooth under my cheek if I am positioned on my side in bed so I don't have fabric folds/bunches under my cheek (which I can't stand). This is something I do for myself now that makes an enormous difference in how comfortable I am. I asked that my pillow not go under my shoulders, but support only my head and neck. And I asked that the bedsheets not be tucked in at the bottom of the bed, so my toes aren't bound and squished. I don't like the way Narcissus smells, but I do love daffodils and lilac and iris and poppies in case anyone wanted to bring flowers for my room. And so on.

I do not know if any of this will matter to me when I am unable to care for myself. It will matter to those who love me. It will empower them to do some little thing that they imagine will comfort me or that I would appreciate. It will help them not to feel helpless. And if I am so lucky as to have hired caretakers who have compassion, it will help them to do their jobs in a more meaningful way.

My mother used to say "Do everything you can do to get the outcome you want...then let go of the outcome, because you have done what you can."

Love to all who are hurting today.

Karen in Virginia
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    @Peach1948 Carol I know I am new to this thread and you don't know me yet, but let me just say congratulations on getting through a week without wine in the evening. That surely changes your entire dynamic and is taking some adjustment. It is inspiring. I am trying to limit screen time including TV & computer to 2 hours a day and finding that a bit difficult. I will think of you giving up your wine today and be motivated by it. <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    Carol - Well done! :flowerforyou: I find it hard enough having one or two alcohol free days a week. :ohwell: I will have one today in your honour. :D<3

Love to all, Heather UK
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    Beatty gorgeous tree.

Carol well done!