Everyone told me coconut oil was good for me

Replies

• Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Have you tried frying them in water but using a bit of seasoning to give them some flavour?

Thats called steaming. I was going to suggest that too
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    You need to take the bad stigma away from "fat". SOME fats, like coconut oil are GOOD for you. I drink coconut milk and I eat a lot of nuts. ALL healthy fats, and my cholesterol is in GREAT shape.

Please research the difference between "good" and "bad" fats, and how they can impact your life. And enjoy your coconut oil in the process.

Yep...Fats are not created equally! I use coconut oil every day, drink coconut milk, eat avocado's and nuts!!

I thought Lincoln freed the fats???
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    bump.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    " I might as well be using butter or crisco vegetable oil. "

No. Coconut oil is much richer nutritionally than those things. And like the others said---it's a matter of "good" fats & "bad" fats. Also, 90 calories is a drop in a bucket of your overall calorie intake for the day. As long as you aren't globbing coconut oil on everything, it shouldn't be a calorie suck.

There are 0 calorie cooking sprays & whatever, if you REALLY are that scared of coconut oil, but those sprays are full of chemicals & don't have any nutritional value.

I don't need nutritional value, just something to fry my mushrooms in that is low fat and low calorie.

Yes I wont use the sprays, who knows what is in those.

You don't care about nutritional value, but won't use sprays? Get over the crap you've been told about fat. Coconut oil, and all healthy fats, are not the devil. I put coconut oil in my coffee, cook with it, get 60% of my calories from fat, and am losing about 3 pounds per week. Insulin. Insulin is what drives fat gain and loss.

Im insulin resistant so my doctor has me on a very low fat diet. I can get no more than 10% of my calories from fat.

I know of no doctor that will suggest a high carb, low fat way of eating for insulin resistance. I have been to tons and tons of doctors and know many people with insulin resistance and every doctor suggesting lowering carb intake at or below 25% and adjusting the fat intake higher.

Your doctor is going to make you full blown diabetic.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Yikes! Not a bit of common sense here. Anybody that thinks that the fat in coconut oil is a good fat is buying into some kind of crazy sh**. The fat in coconut oil is 92%, I'll say that again 92%, saturated. Anyone here want to say that saturated fat is good for you raise your hand. No one? That's what I thought. As a comparison the fat in beef is only 50% saturated. The fat in butter is 63% saturated. You would be better off stirring butter into your coffee that coconut oil. If you want to eat coconut oil go ahead. Like anything else, moderation is the key. But saying the fat in coconut oil is a "good fat" is just insane. There is not one single piece of medical or scientific evidence or research that proves coconut oil is beneficial in any way. On the other hand we have butt loads of medical evidence that proves that too much saturated fat is horrible for your heart, arteries and intenstine. By simply applying a little common sense one could figure out that a fat that is 92% saturated could not possibly be a "good fat".

There are plenty of people here saying that saturated fat in not unhealthy................

Get out of the 1980's and come to 2013. That evidence that Ancel Keys put out long ago is very incorrect.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Coconut Oil is a healthy fat. Though I can't stand the taste for some reason for cooking.

I normally go with this.

Olive Oil = Salads and anything that uses low heat.
    Grape Seed Oil = Cooking with high heat since it has a high Smoke Point and tastes much better then Coconut Oil.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Also, I was a movie theater manager when the whole major chain made the change from coconut to canola oil. Coconut just didn't fit in California's calorie guidelines like canola did... not that movie theaters have the healthiest reputation (just forego the fake butter, people! It's not hard! Tastes like cleaning products, imo), but I still can't wrap my head around coconut oil being put on the same tier as olive...

I also had a bad coconut oil experience while travelling in Southern India. The food was amazing, but everything has coconut oil. For a month I ate very small portions, virtually no meat or dairy, and walked everywhere with a big backpack... and still gained weight!

Just my two cents. Seriously, the coconut oil obsession is beyond me.

Actually, here in Southern California, 2 of the largest theater chains switched to using coconut oil back in 2010.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    I think the OP is trapped by verb choice.

There are many ways to cook mushrooms. There's roasting. There's grilling. There's steaming. There's (God only knows why one would choose it) boiling them. Any of those choices can be done with minimal fat.

If, however, the question is frying... Well there is no fat free fry oil and if there were, it would be some unnatural mutant concoction of chemicals.

If you want a low-fat way of cooking mushrooms, try roasting or grilling. It's delicious.

If you want to/have to fry it, you're going to have to use a fat that has actual fat in it.

As far as the part of a fat being 9 calories per gram...

So?

Fats (like carbs, like proteins) are a natural part of the diet. There are fat soluble vitamins. Fat is satiating. Fat serves its purpose. Just calculate it in your overall calorie counts.

I'm going to resort to cut and paste here because it's late and I probably cannot state it as well as a doctor, so quoting Peter Attia:
    By formal definition a calorie is the amount of heat energy required to raise one gram of water from 14.5 to 15.5 degrees Celsius at atmospheric pressure. {...} the important thing to remember is that a calorie (or kcal) tells you how much energy you get by burning the food. Literally. In the “old days” this is how folks figured out the energy content of food using a device called a calorimeter. In fact, to this day this is how caloric content is measured when doing very precise measurements of food intake for rigorous scientific studies. As a general rule carbohydrates contain between 3 and 4 kcal per gram; proteins are about the same; fats contain approximately 9 kcal per gram. [If you’re wondering why fats contain more heat energy than carbohydrates or proteins, it has to do with the number of high energy bonds they contain. Fats are primarily made up of carbon-hydrogen and carbon-carbon bonds, which have the most stored energy. Carbs and proteins have these bonds also but “dilute” their heat energy with less energy-dense bonds involving oxygen and nitrogen.]

{...}olive oil has about 8.9 kcal/g; starch with about 4.1 kcal/g; protein with about 4.0 kcal/g; and gunpowder 0.7 {...} everything on this list is an organic molecule largely composed of the following four atoms: carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and nitrogen. Not to bore everyone with a lesson on organic chemistry, but it’s the actual bonds between these atoms that are responsible for their energy densities...
    But I bet you aren't going to eat gun powder, even though it does have fewer calories per gram because, as he further explains:
    .Energy density (calories) of food matter, but what matters much more is what that food does in and to our bodies. {...}These are the choices we make every time we put something in our mouth.
    If not, you could have a low cal diet of gunpowder. So sure, carbs and protein may have few fewer kcal/g, but you choose what you eat based on more than mathematical ranking of kcal/g. If you really 'have' to fry mushrooms...

What 'fries' food? Fat (because, unfortunately, unicorn oil isn't commercially available these days.)

If you 'have' to have it fried, you're saying that you 'have' to have those 9 kcal/g. You just said you 'have' to have it, right? Budget it into your overall food caloric breakdown by cutting out a slice of bread or something. You can end with the exact same number of calories and you got your 'fried' mushrooms.

(Also agreeing with others, though, a high carb diet seems counterintuitive if the problem in question is insulin resistance.)
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    So you want to be able to fry your mushrooms with something low fat and low calorie without too many chemicals? May I suggest unicorn oil? You can find it in the magical fantasy aisle of any grocery store. Either make it fit in your macros by dropping something else or give up the notion that your mushrooms *have* to be fried.

mmm unicorn
  • texanintokyo
    texanintokyo Posts: 278 Member
    Try an olive oil mister. I love mine! It really cuts back on the amount of oil. You fill it half way with olive oil and then pump the can with air and it comes out as a fine mist. No scary additives. If I have time I slightly steam the mushrooms first then spritz the pan and the mushrooms with the olive oil mist and give them a quick sauté. If I don’t have time I just spray the pan and mushrooms and throw them in.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    And, I don't agree that there's any "good" fat - just because it's vegetable based doesn't mean it's good.

Your brain would disagree. Fats are *essential* to brain function. Ever heard of EFAs? Essential fatty acids are named so because they are ESSENTIAL. So avoiding them is BAD. Eating these fats are GOOD.
  • Ditto with what a lot of other people said. A couple things to add..

1. Coconut oil is actually healither than other oils when cooked because olive oil loses a lot of benefits and some even say turns "rancid" when cooked.

2. I personally have the best scale results when I eat a lot of good fats and reduce carbs - things like avocado, almond butter, coconut oil, etc..
  • plm209
    plm209 Posts: 222 Member
    So you want to be able to fry your mushrooms with something low fat and low calorie without too many chemicals? May I suggest unicorn oil? You can find it in the magical fantasy aisle of any grocery store. Either make it fit in your macros by dropping something else or give up the notion that your mushrooms *have* to be fried.

Best response I've ever read.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Finally, I am trying to figure out how anyone can eat 60% of their calories from fat and not be starving. I know that fat is satiating, but I have a total of 1300 calories to eat, that's 780 in fat, which only leaves me 520 in real food - that seems like it would be difficult to get in all the nutrients you need for good health, not to mention that I'd be starving.

I am so much more satisfied eating 60% fat than I ever was eating a "normal" balanced diet (I actually have my ratios set at 5%Carbs/25% protein/70% fat). I don't really know what you mean by "real food". I get to eat full fat cheese, sour cream, heavy cream in my coffee, butter, nuts, any meat imaginable as long as it isn't sugar cured, bacon, sausage, eggs. I mean all of that is real food and it is delicious. Its not like you are eating spoonfuls of coconut oil (though some people put it in their coffee) to get 780 cal of fat. It is in great foods!
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Yikes! Not a bit of common sense here. Anybody that thinks that the fat in coconut oil is a good fat is buying into some kind of crazy sh**. The fat in coconut oil is 92%, I'll say that again 92%, saturated. Anyone here want to say that saturated fat is good for you raise your hand. No one? That's what I thought. As a comparison the fat in beef is only 50% saturated. The fat in butter is 63% saturated. You would be better off stirring butter into your coffee that coconut oil. If you want to eat coconut oil go ahead. Like anything else, moderation is the key. But saying the fat in coconut oil is a "good fat" is just insane. There is not one single piece of medical or scientific evidence or research that proves coconut oil is beneficial in any way. On the other hand we have butt loads of medical evidence that proves that too much saturated fat is horrible for your heart, arteries and intenstine. By simply applying a little common sense one could figure out that a fat that is 92% saturated could not possibly be a "good fat".

The Tokelau (with their 50% dietary saturated fat intake), the Masai (with their diet of meat, blood, and milk), and the Inuit (with their ancestral diet of high-blubber animals) people all have superior CV health to most Americans.

But maybe you just want to be stubborn and disregard these people as outliers.

The maligning of saturated fat started with Ancel Keys, who did a study he called the Seven Countries study, many moons ago, named for the seven countries that saw an increase in heart disease cases correspond with increased fat consumption. However, he omitted data from twenty-two other countries that showed a very weak correlation between saturated fat intake and heart disease.

core_zpscb98b309.jpg

The red dots are the countries that had 'correlation' between sat fat and cv disease. Good luck drawing a line through the rest of those dots.

This is as much work as I'm going to put into convincing people to eat healthy fats and fuel their bodies properly. It's your job to do your own research properly. It's your own choice what you eat, and cheers to that. I'm going to keep being awesome and eating grass-fed meat, butter, avos, coconuts, yum, yum, yum.

PS- hand permanently raised.

This.

The "buttloads" of "evidence" is none. No evidence. They all took Ancel Keys at his word and now "saturated fat causes heart disease" is right up there with "we have to drink 4 litres of water a day" and "coffee is a diuretic" for complete nonsense.

Now, OP, I could google "saturated fat is good for you" and post the thousands of links for you, OR I could let you educate yourself. I suspect the problem is you already think you know it all.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    This post has become way to serious.

First: Check your macros. If it fits, you can eat it. If it doesn't then you shouldn't.

Second: Make sure your getting a couple servings of fruits and vegatables a day.

I've done the whole eating perfect healthy foods (paleo, primal...w/e) thing, and this is far more sustainable. What you lose in nutritional value, you'll probably gain in lack of stress. The amount everyone freaks out about what they eat is going to give them the same heart attack that all the carbs...saturated fat...sodium...etc... was going to give you in the first place.

Step back, chill out, and enjoy. Its not complicated unless you make it that way.

I think I love you :flowerforyou:
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member

*raises hand*

I put both butter AND coconut oil in my coffee. It's amazing. :drinker:
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member

*raises hand*

I'll see your butter and coconut oil and raise you heavy 40% cream! :D
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member

*raises hand*

LOL, full disclosure: I use heavy cream during the week, and make bulletproof coffee on the weekends. :drinker:
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member

*raises hand*

LOL, full disclosure: I use heavy cream during the week, and make bulletproof coffee on the weekends. :drinker:

LOL you win THIS time... :laugh:

I use heavy cream in my eggs every day and also some ghee or red palm oil. Whatever I'm in the mood to go with. :)