Everyone told me coconut oil was good for me

Options

Replies

• My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    So you want to be able to fry your mushrooms with something low fat and low calorie without too many chemicals? May I suggest unicorn oil? You can find it in the magical fantasy aisle of any grocery store. Either make it fit in your macros by dropping something else or give up the notion that your mushrooms *have* to be fried.

LOVE this!
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

Yikes! Not a bit of common sense here. Anybody that thinks that the fat in coconut oil is a good fat is buying into some kind of crazy sh**. The fat in coconut oil is 92%, I'll say that again 92%, saturated. Anyone here want to say that saturated fat is good for you raise your hand. No one? That's what I thought. As a comparison the fat in beef is only 50% saturated. The fat in butter is 63% saturated. You would be better off stirring butter into your coffee that coconut oil. If you want to eat coconut oil go ahead. Like anything else, moderation is the key. But saying the fat in coconut oil is a "good fat" is just insane. There is not one single piece of medical or scientific evidence or research that proves coconut oil is beneficial in any way. On the other hand we have butt loads of medical evidence that proves that too much saturated fat is horrible for your heart, arteries and intenstine. By simply applying a little common sense one could figure out that a fat that is 92% saturated could not possibly be a "good fat".

*raises hands*

*also raises hand*

Directly from my textbook (I'm currently studying to become a nutritionist):

Short Chain Fatty Acids, Medium Chain Fatty Acids, and Long Chain Fatty Acids are ways of classifying fatty acids according to their length. Our bodies need all three kinds of fatty acids to remain healthy. There is another equally important feature that must be determined for all fatty acids, regardless of how long they are: their degree of saturation. Just like a sponge can be saturated with water, fatty acids can also be saturated, not with water but with hydrogen. Just like a saturated sponge is holding all the water it can possibly hold, a saturated fatty acid is holding all of the hydrogen it can possibly hold. If it isn’t, it is called unsaturated. **To remain healthy, our bodies need fatty acids not only of all three lengths, but also of both types.**

When a fatty acid is fully saturated, it interacts the least with other molecules in the body, and it provides the most stable structure. Saturated fats are helpful structurally because they help stabilize cell membranes, and they are not very susceptible to damage because they are primarily inert and non-interactive. Unsaturated fatty acids are much more interactive and susceptible to damage, but they are critical in the body because they provide flexibility to cell membranes and allow the cells to stay in dynamic communication with their surroundings.

Point being, saturated fats ARE good for you, like everything else, in moderation.

Really?
    Medical, heart-health, and governmental authorities, such as the World Health Organization, the American Dietetic Association, the Dietitians of Canada, the British Dietetic Association, American Heart Association, the British Heart Foundation, the World Heart Federation, the British National Health Service, the United States Food and Drug Administration, and the European Food Safety Authority advise that saturated fat is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease (CVD). So, in what way is risking CVD a good thing? Point being, there are plenty of other oils much better for you than coconut oil. Other oils such as olive, walnut, and avocado have "proven" health benefits were as coconut oil as no proven health benefits.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Anyone here want to say that saturated fat is good for you raise your hand.
    Absofreakinglutely! It beats the hell out of canola oil/soybean oil/etc.. Olive oil is ok, but can go rancid at high temps. Saturated fats have gotten a bad wrap with little evidence and coconut oil has some interestin properties compared to traditional animal (saturated) fats.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Anyone here want to say that saturated fat is good for you raise your hand.
    Absofreakinglutely! It beats the hell out of canola oil/soybean oil/etc.. Olive oil is ok, but can go rancid at high temps. Saturated fats have gotten a bad wrap with little evidence and coconut oil has some interestin properties compared to traditional animal (saturated) fats.

OO OOoo mee! ME!!!! :drinker:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Trader joes makes a coconut oil spray that is 0 Caloires and pan fries stuff just like oil. its a cooking spray!! check it out

You know that this is serving size dependant, right? A tablespoon of coconut oil coming out of a spray bottle has the same amount of calories as a tablespoon of cocunut oil coming out of a jar. I've never met anyone with the reflexes to hold down a nozzle for .04 seconds . . . just saying.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options

Really?
    Medical, heart-health, and governmental authorities, such as the World Health Organization, the American Dietetic Association, the Dietitians of Canada, the British Dietetic Association, American Heart Association, the British Heart Foundation, the World Heart Federation, the British National Health Service, the United States Food and Drug Administration, and the European Food Safety Authority advise that saturated fat is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease (CVD). So, in what way is risking CVD a good thing? Point being, there are plenty of other oils much better for you than coconut oil. Other oils such as olive, walnut, and avocado have "proven" health benefits were as coconut oil as no proven health benefits.

Not to cherry-pick and disregard all the other sources that you've listed, I'm at work so don't have time to look into all of them, but you can't seriously be holding up the FDA as a reliable source for determining what's healthy for us and what isn't? I would assume that all of those sources are just as potentially corrupt, and the reason this whole "low-fat yay sugar" craze started in the first place was that it was the most profitable for all involved, without any regard for what was actually better for us. Again I'm not currently able to find and cite a bunch of sources, but I'm sure there's at least a few people here that would agree?

That said, I'm not trying to hold up coconut oil as a wonder food, I've never even tried it, I was just responding to the assertion that saturated fats are never good for us, which I feel is not true.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Yikes! Not a bit of common sense here. Anybody that thinks that the fat in coconut oil is a good fat is buying into some kind of crazy sh**. The fat in coconut oil is 92%, I'll say that again 92%, saturated. Anyone here want to say that saturated fat is good for you raise your hand. No one? That's what I thought. As a comparison the fat in beef is only 50% saturated. The fat in butter is 63% saturated. You would be better off stirring butter into your coffee that coconut oil. If you want to eat coconut oil go ahead. Like anything else, moderation is the key. But saying the fat in coconut oil is a "good fat" is just insane. There is not one single piece of medical or scientific evidence or research that proves coconut oil is beneficial in any way. On the other hand we have butt loads of medical evidence that proves that too much saturated fat is horrible for your heart, arteries and intenstine. By simply applying a little common sense one could figure out that a fat that is 92% saturated could not possibly be a "good fat".

The Tokelau (with their 50% dietary saturated fat intake), the Masai (with their diet of meat, blood, and milk), and the Inuit (with their ancestral diet of high-blubber animals) people all have superior CV health to most Americans.

But maybe you just want to be stubborn and disregard these people as outliers.

The maligning of saturated fat started with Ancel Keys, who did a study he called the Seven Countries study, many moons ago, named for the seven countries that saw an increase in heart disease cases correspond with increased fat consumption. However, he omitted data from twenty-two other countries that showed a very weak correlation between saturated fat intake and heart disease.

core_zpscb98b309.jpg

The red dots are the countries that had 'correlation' between sat fat and cv disease. Good luck drawing a line through the rest of those dots.

This is as much work as I'm going to put into convincing people to eat healthy fats and fuel their bodies properly. It's your job to do your own research properly. It's your own choice what you eat, and cheers to that. I'm going to keep being awesome and eating grass-fed meat, butter, avos, coconuts, yum, yum, yum.

PS- hand permanently raised.
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    This post has become way to serious.

First: Check your macros. If it fits, you can eat it. If it doesn't then you shouldn't.

Second: Make sure your getting a couple servings of fruits and vegatables a day.

I've done the whole eating perfect healthy foods (paleo, primal...w/e) thing, and this is far more sustainable. What you lose in nutritional value, you'll probably gain in lack of stress. The amount everyone freaks out about what they eat is going to give them the same heart attack that all the carbs...saturated fat...sodium...etc... was going to give you in the first place.

Step back, chill out, and enjoy. Its not complicated unless you make it that way.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

this is the most misinformed post in this entire thread. The lipid hypothesis is bull**** and I have the blood panel to prove it. Consuming saturated fat from healthy sourced (coconut oil, BUTTER, grass fed RIBEYES) I have increased my HDL cholesterol ny unheard of amounts, my LDL remained the same, tryglycerides were off the chart low, BG was perfect also. Much different than 6 months before when I was eating a lower fat diet of refined carbohydrates. Your whole post is 100% wrong.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Whoops, duplicate post for some reason
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    It just doesn't fit my macros. If your not going to answer the question, move along please.

First off...... *RuDE*

Second Off.... If it doesn't work for you then as you suggested why don't you just try butter or crisco.... Or *WOW* they make this stuff called Pam.... It's really low in calories. Try that.

Third off... *you're

If you're gonna be rude, at least do so with proper spelling. Unless, of course, that doesn't fit your macros either. :flowerforyou:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    This post has become way to serious.

First: Check your macros. If it fits, you can eat it. If it doesn't then you shouldn't.

Second: Make sure your getting a couple servings of fruits and vegatables a day.

I've done the whole eating perfect healthy foods (paleo, primal...w/e) thing, and this is far more sustainable. What you lose in nutritional value, you'll probably gain in lack of stress. The amount everyone freaks out about what they eat is going to give them the same heart attack that all the carbs...saturated fat...sodium...etc... was going to give you in the first place.

Step back, chill out, and enjoy. Its not complicated unless you make it that way.

You might need to read through the posts. The OP is upset at coconut oil and any other suggestions (minus zero calorie sprays) because they won't fit into her fat macro...which she custom set to 10%. -.-
  • GRUNO
    GRUNO Posts: 98
    Options
    I use the Misto brand oil sprayer ten bucks and no chemicals.
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I thought that coconut fat was controversial and that there was not enough research on it to tell if it was good for us or not.

This....

Just because the vegetarians/vegans say it's good, doesn't always mean it is...

I would use butter/lard because it's more available to me. If you can find fresh butter from a local farmer, that's even better.

I don't believe that animal fat is bad for you, but everything can be if you eat a lot of it :)
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I get pretty annoyed by the fact that all fats have 9 calories per gram too, and that I have to somehow cram 60 grams of it into my calorie budget, which means if I get all the protein I want to get I end up having to cut almost all dry carbs. Which sucks for me because I know that I feel best and perform best when I have one or two portions four times a day.

Y'all, I wonder if somehow the message got garbled in transmission and her doctor wanted her to eat 60/30/10 fat/protein/carb. That would make a hell of a lot more sense to me. I personally would hate that diet and would be telling doc to blow it out his gasket, but it would make more sense in light of insulin resistance!
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    In for the fats.

About 50% of my diet is delicious, tasty fat. How could I live without cashews, peanut butter, kipper snacks, and cheese? Let's not even get started on amazing foods like bacon and eggs.

... Guess I'm having brinner tonight!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    It just doesn't fit my macros. If your not going to answer the question, move along please.

First off...... *RuDE*

Second Off.... If it doesn't work for you then as you suggested why don't you just try butter or crisco.... Or *WOW* they make this stuff called Pam.... It's really low in calories. Try that.

Third off... *you're

If you're gonna be rude, at least do so with proper spelling. Unless, of course, that doesn't fit your macros either. :flowerforyou:

Great minds think alike. If you're going to be rude, at least be your own spelling Nazi. Gee whiz.
    Olive oil is good for a quick stir fry, but if you're going to nickel and dime your macros, I'm afraid nothing will help you other than plain water.
  • nomesw84
    nomesw84 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Have you tried frying them in water but using a bit of seasoning to give them some flavour?
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    The amount everyone freaks out about what they eat is going to give them the same heart attack that all the carbs...saturated fat...sodium...etc... was going to give you in the first place.
    LOL, I find primalish the most relaxed way of eating ever. It’s so easy and tasty. Some meat, some veggies, a little fat, a little cheese, a little potato... It's not that complicated and it is very low stress to me. Maybe if you naturally freak out over everything that's not 'perfect' or 'clean', but if you are not naturally obsessive then it's very easy.

I tried the eat 6 times a day in tiny meals and THAT was way stressful to me.
    Just because the vegetarians/vegans say it's good
    Also, the IEatTonsOfMeaters like it. So what does it say that both these groups are fond? You don’t have to use coconut oil, but I find it more useful than butter for some things. I’m a little more leery of the lard sources. I don’t have a problem with the idea of lard, but I don’t know where to get good stuff while coconut oil is everywhere. So grass fed butter, coconut oil and olive oil, all used for different things, works perfectly for me.
  • _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'd say most health organizations are pretty adament that you should seriously limit the amount of saturated fat you eat each day.

I wouldn't say that the apparently misinformed notion that saturated fat is bad for you is a reason to yell at the OP or anyone who was also misinformed. I, myself, am still pretty skeptical and am fairly certain that saturated fat may be necessary for health but only in the smallest (5 g or less/ day) amounts.

Note, I'm saying saturated fat not all fats. I think people aren't understanding that the conversation hasn't been about fats in general, just saturated fat. Most people who are informed about their health are aware that low-fat isn't healthful, although again I don't think that's something someone can be chewed out for that because it was "common fact" for a long time.

But that's just me. I don't like implying that people are stupid for not knowing that general health myths are incorrect. Most people are misinformed about nutrition and weight loss. It's a learning process.