Everyone told me coconut oil was good for me

Options

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I was actually expecting to hear how coconut oil actually damaged your health.

You're going to have to cut fat from somewhere else in order to fit fried mushrooms in with your macros if you want to fry with fat, because all fat and oils have the same fat content per tablespoon.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Okay. Thanks to some of you for your helpful replies. I think I will try grilling them like one poster said. Have a nice day everyone.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    " I might as well be using butter or crisco vegetable oil. "

No. Coconut oil is much richer nutritionally than those things. And like the others said---it's a matter of "good" fats & "bad" fats. Also, 90 calories is a drop in a bucket of your overall calorie intake for the day. As long as you aren't globbing coconut oil on everything, it shouldn't be a calorie suck.

There are 0 calorie cooking sprays & whatever, if you REALLY are that scared of coconut oil, but those sprays are full of chemicals & don't have any nutritional value.

I don't need nutritional value, just something to fry my mushrooms in that is low fat and low calorie.

Yes I wont use the sprays, who knows what is in those.

You don't care about nutritional value, but won't use sprays? Get over the crap you've been told about fat. Coconut oil, and all healthy fats, are not the devil. I put coconut oil in my coffee, cook with it, get 60% of my calories from fat, and am losing about 3 pounds per week. Insulin. Insulin is what drives fat gain and loss.

Im insulin resistant so my doctor has me on a very low fat diet. I can get no more than 10% of my calories from fat.

Yup... gonna say troll... pretty sure you don't need to consume 60% of your diet from carbs if you are insulin resistant.
  • thegoodner
    thegoodner Posts: 113 Member
    Options

No. Coconut oil is much richer nutritionally than those things. And like the others said---it's a matter of "good" fats & "bad" fats. Also, 90 calories is a drop in a bucket of your overall calorie intake for the day. As long as you aren't globbing coconut oil on everything, it shouldn't be a calorie suck.

There are 0 calorie cooking sprays & whatever, if you REALLY are that scared of coconut oil, but those sprays are full of chemicals & don't have any nutritional value.

I don't need nutritional value, just something to fry my mushrooms in that is low fat and low calorie.

You don't care about nutritional value, but won't use sprays? Get over the crap you've been told about fat. Coconut oil, and all healthy fats, are not the devil. I put coconut oil in my coffee, cook with it, get 60% of my calories from fat, and am losing about 3 pounds per week. Insulin. Insulin is what drives fat gain and loss.

Im insulin resistant so my doctor has me on a very low fat diet. I can get no more than 10% of my calories from fat.

You need a new doctor. I'm insulin resistant with PCOS and a 60% fat and low carb diet is the only thing that will help you lose weight. You are sabotaging any efforts at weight loss since you are continually flooding your body with insulin and excess sugar. PLEASE. I am not a troll or lying to you. Research High fat low carb diet for insulin resistance.
  • inspirem
    inspirem Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Fried mushrooms taste great... Try combining your oil with a little broth, allows you to use less oil but leaves just enough liquid so you can fry larger portions. I find the key to frying mushrooms is to use a medium heat, cook them flat in the pan and only turn them once, which gives that perfect brown crisp!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Your doctor is a complete lunatic to have you on a 60% carbohydrate diet if you're insulin resistant.
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options

Um, insulin resistance isn't going to be helped by a diet that consists of SIXTY percent carbs. You might want to get a second opinion about that.

Also, take a major chill pill.

Finally, you're not making much sense. Too many contradictory statements and restrictions are going to make you miserable. Have a nice day!
  • samanthasimps0n
    samanthasimps0n Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You need to take the bad stigma away from "fat". SOME fats, like coconut oil are GOOD for you. I drink coconut milk and I eat a lot of nuts. ALL healthy fats, and my cholesterol is in GREAT shape.

Please research the difference between "good" and "bad" fats, and how they can impact your life. And enjoy your coconut oil in the process.

^I agree!! Coconut oil is a healthy fat and has way fewer ingredients that crisco. If you look at the label, crisco probably has tons of ingredients most of which you can't pronounce. If you get organic coconut oil, there will only be 1-2 ingredients - both of which you can pronounce :) My mom always says - if you can't pronounce it, don't eat it!
  • db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I just got my recommended daily allowance of SASS from this thread alone!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I just got my recommended daily allowance of SASS from this thread alone!

Right! :drinker:
  • GG70
    GG70 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    RAW organic cold pressed coconut oil IS good for you and is also healing. It has MANY health benefits and is great for your bod and beauty too. My doctor decreases my thyroid medication whenever I have been using coconut oil on a regular basis. When I don't use it, my meds get increased. That must mean it is good for us!! It helps heal thyroid function and increases metabolism and suppresses appetite. Look up the health benefits.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Im insulin resistant so my doctor has me on a very low fat diet.

Say what now?
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options

Yup... gonna say troll... pretty sure you don't need to consume 60% of your diet from carbs if you are insulin resistant.

Maybe she's a troll. But I do know many doctors push a low-fat, high carb diet onto diabetic patients, including my own, so it's possible she's a real person who has been told she MUST eat this way or else, and that's causing the extreme, irrational fear of cooking some damn mushrooms.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options

Your doctor is a complete lunatic to have you on a 60% carbohydrate diet if you're insulin resistant.

Yes. Please find a new doctor or make really good use of google.com.
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is a great way to lower your cholesterol, but I can imagine the flavors do not mesh well with mushrooms. I would use a little extra virgin olive oil and some low sodium chicken broth instead.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    Grill those babies! Mmmm, Mmm. Put them in a foil packet with some onions and grill them until they are the desired tenderness you like. Boom.
    num num num
  • cbumbalough
    cbumbalough Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Have you tried baking mushrooms? I've not tried it. Just a thought. You could just lightly salt and pepper them.
  • katinachaos
    katinachaos Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I use Land o Lakes light butter, 1T, and then add all my veggies. I get that you are frustrated that oils of any kind have so many calories, but you don't really have many choices, especially if you're wary about chemicals. I use just enough butter to brown up the veggies then I cook them down in some tomatoes, but again, you hit issues with sodium there since I use canned stuff.

Basically, you have to either give up frying them, or determine where you are willing and able to take hits on your macros.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    It just doesn't fit my macros.
    It's totally up to you, but if you're going by MFP you can change those if you want.

I personally think it's sacriledge to cook mushrooms in anything but butter, but Coconut oil works great as a sub in for canola/vegetable oil (which I am not using anymore). It has a higher smoke point and although it smells like the beach when you open the jar (I use organic, virgin, btw), it doesn't flavor the food strongly imo.