Everyone told me coconut oil was good for me

Options

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    " I might as well be using butter or crisco vegetable oil. "

No. Coconut oil is much richer nutritionally than those things. And like the others said---it's a matter of "good" fats & "bad" fats. Also, 90 calories is a drop in a bucket of your overall calorie intake for the day. As long as you aren't globbing coconut oil on everything, it shouldn't be a calorie suck.

There are 0 calorie cooking sprays & whatever, if you REALLY are that scared of coconut oil, but those sprays are full of chemicals & don't have any nutritional value.

I don't need nutritional value, just something to fry my mushrooms in that is low fat and low calorie.

Yes I wont use the sprays, who knows what is in those.

You don't care about nutritional value, but won't use sprays? Get over the crap you've been told about fat. Coconut oil, and all healthy fats, are not the devil. I put coconut oil in my coffee, cook with it, get 60% of my calories from fat, and am losing about 3 pounds per week. Insulin. Insulin is what drives fat gain and loss.

Im insulin resistant so my doctor has me on a very low fat diet. I can get no more than 10% of my calories from fat.

Yup... gonna say troll... pretty sure you don't need to consume 60% of your diet from carbs if you are insulin resistant.

Maybe she's a troll. But I do know many doctors push a low-fat, high carb diet onto diabetic patients, including my own, so it's possible she's a real person who has been told she MUST eat this way or else, and that's causing the extreme, irrational fear of cooking some damn mushrooms.

:noway: Say what?! IF that is the case the OP is telling the truth, then I'm with others... Get a new doctor ASAP. My mother is prediabetic and we are having diabetes education pushed on us hardcore at work via our wellness program.... and I have not heard anyone say to consume a high carb low fat diet ever. Hell, I haven't ever read that in fluff articles on the interwebz. In fact, they all advocate and drill into everyone to limit carbs. Not to mention that good fats are essential for keeping things running and feeling satiated.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    The best thing to fry your mushrooms in is butter, because it is by far the best tasting combination. Barring that, olive oil.

Yup on second thought for taste...butter
  • myfitnesslife75
    myfitnesslife75 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil! Crisco is nasty stuff and I would be very careful about consuming that.
  • thegoodner
    thegoodner Posts: 113 Member
    Options

Give 20/60/20 c/f/p a try for 3 days. It won't harm you, if you choose healthy fats. Take a look at my diary if you need ideas, and feel free to add me. You seem like a spunky person, and I KNOW you will have so much more energy and enjoyment from giving this a go.

Take a minute and think about your typical day. Do you feel ready to go when you wake up? How are your hunger and energy levels throughout the day? When I was eating mostly carbs, I would be STARVING and HANGRY by 10:00. No longer an issue. Do you feel energized and excited to be home when you're off work? How are you sleeping? Now I eat as many veggies and fruits as I please, but no grains.

It really does make a world of a difference.

This +1,000

I'll even go farther than this. Calculate your BMR and TDEE. Also calculate your body fat and determine your lean mass. Personally, I eat at least my BMR in calories daily + exercise calories if I'm hungry, but ultimately above BMR and Less than TDEE...of these calories, I eat 1 g of protein for every pound of lean body mass. Then, I make sure to eat less than 50g of carbs a day. I fill in the rest of my calories with fat from olive, coconut, avocado, seeds, nuts, fish, chicken, pork, turkey, and meat. You are on your way to full blow diabetes if you can't reverse your insulin resistance. The only way to do this is to reduce your carb intake and start burning body fat. Don't worry about crazy cardio sessions, just walk a lot & lift heavy weights. Fuel your body with fat and protein to support your metabolism and lean mass, and watch the weight drop off once you allow your body to take a break from trying to store all of those excess carbs.

Good luck to you!
  • hfox9707
    hfox9707 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I thought that coconut fat was controversial and that there was not enough research on it to tell if it was good for us or not.

That was because they used refined coconut oil for the studies. It's different when you are using virgin coconut oil since that is not processed.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil *is* good for you, so is butter. Eat the fats. (in appropriate quantities) Your brain will thank you.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I want to know more about this "unicorn oil" stuff! Does it come in colors? Can I add edible glitter to it? Oooooh, I wants me some!

Yes. I sell a 3 oz package along with edible glitter in 2 colors. If you send me $18,000,000 cash, I'll send you 2 packages.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If you "have to" fry the mushrooms, and you won't do a chemical spray, then you're left using an actual fat, and you are asking an impossible question. Use the coconut oil, or any other oil, or even butter. The fat and calorie content is going to be the same, it comes down to personal preference on taste and other qualities of the particular oil you use. I prefer olive oil, I don't know what the benefit of coconut oil is, but I think it smells disgusting in the pan and it's overpriced.
  • alpha_andy
    alpha_andy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    What nobody has told you so far in the thread is that coconut oil can be thought of as a carbohydrate - not as a fat.

I understand you're trying to cut down on your fat macros - but you may as well subtract these from your fat total.

Take a look:

==========
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/coconut_oil.htm

Medium-Chain Triglycerides (MCT)

Coconut oil contains ~ 64% MCT (Dayrit, 2003; Fife, 2004). This is more than any other food in existence. Research has clearly shown that MCT's are thermogenic (Scalfi et al., 1991) and that less is stored away as body fat (Papamandjaris et al., 2000; St-Onge & Jones, 2002; St-Onge & Jones, 2003).

The reason for this phenomenon is that the MCT's are rapidly absorbed from the intestines directly into the portal system and sent to the liver instead of through the lymphatic system like all other fats; they also do not require carnitine for transport and they are quickly oxidized and used for energy much like carbohydrates (Amarasiri & Dissanayake, 2006; Aoyama et al., 2007; Bach & Babayan, 1982; Hashim, 1967; Manore et al., 1993; Pehowich et al., 2000).
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    So you want to be able to fry your mushrooms with something low fat and low calorie without too many chemicals? May I suggest unicorn oil? You can find it in the magical fantasy aisle of any grocery store. Either make it fit in your macros by dropping something else or give up the notion that your mushrooms *have* to be fried.

^this
  • artsycella
    artsycella Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Several people mentioned using broth, and you brought up concerns about sodium. Packaged broth can be high in sodium and if that's a concern for you, I completely understand.

There is a way around that, though--make your own chicken stock. I do this every month or two. There are as many recipes as there are cooks, but usually I use cooked or uncooked leftover chicken bones (I freeze them when cooking a meal so they're ready when I am for making stock), some carrots, celery, a few peppercorns, maybe a bay leaf, an onion cut in half or some unpeeled garlic cloves. Fill the pot with water with water and cook at a simmer for a few hours, then drain. It's hard to mess up. Freeze the remainder in small portions to use later.

It tastes waaaay better than what you buy in the store, makes great soup, risotto, braising liquid, etc. and has the value of no added sodium. And perfect for cooking mushrooms!
  • jenn26point2
    Options
    " I might as well be using butter or crisco vegetable oil. "

No. Coconut oil is much richer nutritionally than those things. And like the others said---it's a matter of "good" fats & "bad" fats. Also, 90 calories is a drop in a bucket of your overall calorie intake for the day. As long as you aren't globbing coconut oil on everything, it shouldn't be a calorie suck.

There are 0 calorie cooking sprays & whatever, if you REALLY are that scared of coconut oil, but those sprays are full of chemicals & don't have any nutritional value.

I don't need nutritional value, just something to fry my mushrooms in that is low fat and low calorie.

You don't care about nutritional value, but won't use sprays? Get over the crap you've been told about fat. Coconut oil, and all healthy fats, are not the devil. I put coconut oil in my coffee, cook with it, get 60% of my calories from fat, and am losing about 3 pounds per week. Insulin. Insulin is what drives fat gain and loss.

Im insulin resistant so my doctor has me on a very low fat diet. I can get no more than 10% of my calories from fat.

Yup... gonna say troll... pretty sure you don't need to consume 60% of your diet from carbs if you are insulin resistant.

I was just going to say that your doctor is a complete tool if he/she has you ditching fat and picking up carbs to fix insulin resistance... carbs = sugar = insulin response = insulin shoving glucose into overpacked cells = the liver taking over = glucose converting to fat.

If you want to fix metabolic syndrome (i.e. insulin resistance) cut carbs, increase saturated/mono-unsaturated fat, and keep protein moderate (30% is great). Reduce the insulin response so that when your body DOES push insulin, the body listens and does something with it. Liken insulin to a noisy kid... eventually you learn to tune the kid out and then you never hear what he or she is saying... if your body is pumping too much insulin, your body stops responding.

Fixing insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome is one of the key benefits of the Paleo diet.

Irregardless, avoid crisco like the plague... it's chock full of trans fats, which are terrible for you. Butter is far superior to any vegetable oils, contains 100 calories per tbsp, but coconut oil is even better for your heart with its mono-unsaturated medium chain fatty acids. You can get "refined" coconut oil which virtually eliminates the coconut flavor.
  • jenn26point2
    Options
    Double post.
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    The most abundant fatty acid in coconut oil is the 12-carbon Lauric Acid, which is broken down into a compound called monolaurin in the body.

Lauric acid and monolaurin are both very interesting due to the fact that they can kill microbes like bacteria, fungi and viruses.

For this reason, coconut oil can be protective against various infections.

You won't find these benefits in any other oil. Coconut oil is a very good fat.
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I cook with it all the time and I never notice a flavor with my recipes.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    The more processed coconut oil is STILL good for you and has less flavor, so better for cooking with according to some.

I don't mind the taste of it and actually enjoy it very much. But frying with coconut oil vs crisco.... c'mon :sick:
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options

Wow. See, I'm the opposite. My macros are 60 carbs, 30 protein, 10 fat. so I don't allow very much. Mostly just from meats.

Omg what???? NO WAY YOU ARE GOING TO SURVIVE LIKE THIS.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

oh, oh! I know!

Canola oil, a touch of soy lecithin, and water. Oh, and it is pressurized.

I just read the can. Pretty cool, huh?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The more processed coconut oil is STILL good for you and has less flavor, so better for cooking with according to some.

I don't mind the taste of it and actually enjoy it very much. But frying with coconut oil vs crisco.... c'mon :sick:

IKR? Everyone knows Crisco is the best for fried foods, outside of lard. Yum!
  • elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    So you want to be able to fry your mushrooms with something low fat and low calorie without too many chemicals? May I suggest unicorn oil? You can find it in the magical fantasy aisle of any grocery store. Either make it fit in your macros by dropping something else or give up the notion that your mushrooms *have* to be fried.

Why don't you go stick your unicorn horn up your *kitten* and try being helpful instead of an a-hole.

Whether the OP is a troll (really troll title at least... why not just "How to cook mushrooms low fat?" instead of obvious inflammatory flame war starter) or possibly just a jerk, I will add this here to maybe help anyone else looking for a way to cook mushrooms.

I don't know if this necessarily comes out low fat, but this made just about the most delicious mushrooms I've ever eaten.

http://cookingfortwo.about.com/od/techniques/tp/A-New-Way-To-Cook-Mushrooms.htm

You still add butter or oil to the pan (about 1 tbsp per 8 oz of mushrooms) but I think since that gets spread out among however many servings, it's not so bad.