Everyone told me coconut oil was good for me

Options
Lochlyn_D
Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
But at 90 calories and 10 grams of Sat Fat per 2 tsp, I might as well be using butter or crisco vegetable oil.

Does anyone have any ideas for something to replace these that is low low fat and lower calorie?

The thing is, I like mushrooms. I eat about a half pound a day, sliced and pan fried. I can fry them in water but They just don't turn out as good.

Replies

• CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    You need to take the bad stigma away from "fat". SOME fats, like coconut oil are GOOD for you. I drink coconut milk and I eat a lot of nuts. ALL healthy fats, and my cholesterol is in GREAT shape.

Please research the difference between "good" and "bad" fats, and how they can impact your life. And enjoy your coconut oil in the process.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    You need to take the bad stigma away from "fat". SOME fats, like coconut oil are GOOD for you. I drink coconut milk and I eat a lot of nuts. ALL healthy fats, and my cholesterol is in GREAT shape.

Please research the difference between "good" and "bad" fats, and how they can impact your life. And enjoy your coconut oil in the process.
    This^
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is a medium-chain fat and has tons of benefits. Do a search to find out.

Do you have to pan-fry your mushrooms? Have you tried just adding them to a salad or just eat them right out of the container. Also, you can use canola or olive oil spray instead of butter, olive oil, or coconut oil if you eat so much.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is very good for you. High calorie =/= bad. Paleo/primal followers eat this stuff by the spoonful.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried cooking mushrooms in coconut oil before; does the taste change at all?

Could you use vegetable broth instead of water?
  • Lochlyn_D
    Options
    It just doesn't fit my macros. If your not going to answer the question, move along please.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Options
    I haven't tried cooking mushrooms in coconut oil before; does the taste change at all?

Could you use vegetable broth instead of water?

It does change the taste, and not for the better in my opinion.

As for veg broth, even the low sodium has too much sodium.
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    " I might as well be using butter or crisco vegetable oil. "

No. Coconut oil is much richer nutritionally than those things. And like the others said---it's a matter of "good" fats & "bad" fats. Also, 90 calories is a drop in a bucket of your overall calorie intake for the day. As long as you aren't globbing coconut oil on everything, it shouldn't be a calorie suck.

There are 0 calorie cooking sprays & whatever, if you REALLY are that scared of coconut oil, but those sprays are full of chemicals & don't have any nutritional value.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Options
    Coconut oil is a medium-chain fat and has tons of benefits. Do a search to find out.

Do you have to pan-fry your mushrooms? Have you tried just adding them to a salad or just eat them right out of the container. Also, you can use canola or olive oil spray instead of butter, olive oil, or coconut oil if you eat so much.

Yes they have to be fried. The spray has too many chemicals in it.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options

Ditto!
  • lois4468
    lois4468 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have to have fried mushrooms with my steaks. Difference now is that I barely use any butter to do it compared to before I started watching my cals. Just a little bit of butter does wonders and I won't give it up. Just count it in and eat less of something else or move more. Some things are just not worth giving up. Good luck!
  • Lochlyn_D
    Options

No. Coconut oil is much richer nutritionally than those things. And like the others said---it's a matter of "good" fats & "bad" fats. Also, 90 calories is a drop in a bucket of your overall calorie intake for the day. As long as you aren't globbing coconut oil on everything, it shouldn't be a calorie suck.

There are 0 calorie cooking sprays & whatever, if you REALLY are that scared of coconut oil, but those sprays are full of chemicals & don't have any nutritional value.

I don't need nutritional value, just something to fry my mushrooms in that is low fat and low calorie.

Yes I wont use the sprays, who knows what is in those.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I thought that coconut fat was controversial and that there was not enough research on it to tell if it was good for us or not.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Options

I don't need nutritional value, just something to fry my mushrooms in that is low fat and low calorie.

Yes I wont use the sprays, who knows what is in those.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Options
    I thought that coconut oil was controversial and that there was not enough research on it to tell if it was good for us or not.

I love your picture.
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If your really worried dry fry on a non stick pan. I don't add anything to them sometime. Add some montreal steak spice....
  • LizAnn925
    LizAnn925 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It is both good and bad. A doctor would not necessarily recommend it because of its high saturated fat content. However, when you eat regular food, your body uses about 10% of those calories to digest the food. However, when you eat coconut oil with your food, your body uses about 20% of the calories to digest. So, if you are going to use oil anyway, it is best to use coconut oil in place of all other oils. If you're not going to use oil though, you can certainly gain weight from it just like any other butter or oil. But at least coconut oil has nutrients and helps you burn calories on the way.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Options
    If your really worried dry fry on a non stick pan. I don't add anything to them sometime. Add some montreal steak spice....

There is more sodium in a tsp of that than I allow for the whole day. :) but thanks for the tips.
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    fat is fat is fat. Fat is 9 calories a gram. be that butter, margarine, oil, olive oil, coconut oil, whatever.

some fats are healthier than others, for example, olive oil or coconut oil.

Used in moderation, fat is an ok part of your diet. If you use a little fat to cook something to make it more pleasant to eat, then use it. Allow for it in your diet, and its ok.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as low fat fat/oil.

You can actually cook mushrooms without water or fat though, since they contain a high amount of water. Just cook them covered and they will put out a lot of mushroom flavored water. Once they are almost done, remove the lid and let the water evaporate and add just a little oil at this time to coat and brown them.