Everyone told me coconut oil was good for me

Options

Replies

• VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    You need to take the bad stigma away from "fat". SOME fats, like coconut oil are GOOD for you. I drink coconut milk and I eat a lot of nuts. ALL healthy fats, and my cholesterol is in GREAT shape.

Please research the difference between "good" and "bad" fats, and how they can impact your life. And enjoy your coconut oil in the process.

I will go ahead and reinforce this one more time.

Also, your doctor's an idiot, and crisco had trans-fats the last time I looked. Gimme saturated over trans-fats any day, and twice on Mondays.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    "So you want to be able to fry your mushrooms with something low fat and low calorie without too many chemicals? May I suggest unicorn oil? You can find it in the magical fantasy aisle of any grocery store. Either make it fit in your macros by dropping something else or give up the notion that your mushrooms *have* to be fried"

Sorry OP, but this was funny - and only because you rejected out of hand every suggestion you were given and essentially demanded some sort of magical answer.

You may want to take seriously the warnings about your Dr. and diet. Your "macros" could not be worse (okay, they could, but not much) for insulin resistance. Mushrooms fried in a heaping T of coconut oil, on the contrary, would actually be GOOD for you.
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Another thought. Have you tried roasting your vegetables instead? I roast mine in the oven on a sheet of non-stick reynolds foil so I don't have to use much oil. I just lightly mist the vegetables with EVOO from my "misto" oil spray can and sprinkle the vegetables with a few fresh herbs or salt and pepper.
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I blew past "insulin resistant" and into full-on type-2 diabetes by eating a higher-carb diet. You need a new doctor, seriously.

http://www.healio.com/endocrinology/diabetes/news/online/{B279D740-D2E3-4494-B4B6-DD47AC500F29}/Low-carbohydrate-diet-improved-HbA1c-weight-loss-in-diabetes
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Maybe she's a troll. But I do know many doctors push a low-fat, high carb diet onto diabetic patients, including my own, so it's possible she's a real person who has been told she MUST eat this way or else, and that's causing the extreme, irrational fear of cooking some damn mushrooms.

I don't think she's a troll to be honest and I think you're probably right.

Yes, there is a view that the traditional method of treating insulin resistance by the controlling of sugars and starches may be wrong and so a low fat diet is recommended. However, that is not very common and runs contrary to the accepted advice. 10 % from fat sounds particularly low depending on how many calories per day she is eating...
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    So whatever about all the 'tudes up in this piece, if you want a helpful piece of advice for how to fry your mushrooms with low calories but you don't want to use a canned spray, get yourself an oil mister. They're not very expensive, you get to decide exactly what goes into your spray (so you could choose the best olive oil, cold pressed by 70 virgins or whatevs makes it "pure" enough for ya), and you get a little workout pumping up the mister.

I used one when I was doing low-carb (I know there are no carbs in oil, but I also didn't have the calorie budget to be glug-glugging oil all over everything!).

I also think that if you don't like coconut oil you shouldn't use it. Me? I think it's delicious, so if I had the calorie budget for it I'd be eating coconut oil "chocolate bars" every got-dang day!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if you are worried about chemicals, I would recommend the 'clean eating olive oil" brand; go to the unicorn section and follow the rainbow to the end...
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I want to know more about this "unicorn oil" stuff! Does it come in colors? Can I add edible glitter to it? Oooooh, I wants me some!
  • Brallen1969
    Options
    I fry mine in chicken stock, although I love coconut oil....all my sauteeing is done with some kind of stock.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 60% of my calories as healthy fats from coconut oil, evoo, avocados, etc for the past two weeks, and I am steadily losing fat and feel great.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/high-fat-diet-healthy-safe/#axzz2YSgp6VKg

Whatever you do, try and avoid the Crisco, the coconut oil works much much much better with the biology of the human body.

Best wishes!

Wow. See, I'm the opposite. My macros are 60 carbs, 30 protein, 10 fat. so I don't allow very much. Mostly just from meats.

Took a quick look at your profile, and it looks like you've got a long way to go to your goal, so I'm going to offer up some heartfelt, kind advice, and hopefully it hits home..

Give 20/60/20 c/f/p a try for 3 days. It won't harm you, if you choose healthy fats. Take a look at my diary if you need ideas, and feel free to add me. You seem like a spunky person, and I KNOW you will have so much more energy and enjoyment from giving this a go.

Take a minute and think about your typical day. Do you feel ready to go when you wake up? How are your hunger and energy levels throughout the day? When I was eating mostly carbs, I would be STARVING and HANGRY by 10:00. No longer an issue. Do you feel energized and excited to be home when you're off work? How are you sleeping? Now I eat as many veggies and fruits as I please, but no grains.

It really does make a world of a difference.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    If you dont like coconut oil then have some lard it actually has a small amount of omega 3 especially if the animal was grass fed. It's also lower in saturated fat and higher in poly and mono fats. Goose and duck fat have even better profiles. Although lower in medium chain they make a nice alternative if you are trying to improve the 6/3 ratio.

Oh and dont forget good old butter! Contains both short and medium chain triglycerides like butryic acid which is antimicrobial.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    You need to take the bad stigma away from "fat". SOME fats, like coconut oil are GOOD for you. I drink coconut milk and I eat a lot of nuts. ALL healthy fats, and my cholesterol is in GREAT shape.

Please research the difference between "good" and "bad" fats, and how they can impact your life. And enjoy your coconut oil in the process.

^^This is absolutely true =) Well said!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    THE SMELL ALONE IS SOOTHING TO YOUR SOUL IN THE MIDST OF A HUSTLE A DAY.
  • rachelklewis3
    rachelklewis3 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't use coconut oil, but I do use olive oil in moderation. I have a kitchen spritzer from pampered chef- no chemicals, just add the oil of your choice, pump and spray. Also saw your comment about vegetable broth- have you ever made your own vegetable stock?
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I just got my recommended daily allowance of SASS from this thread alone!

Ghetto-Monalisa.gif
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I thought that coconut fat was controversial and that there was not enough research on it to tell if it was good for us or not.

this too...it's not the poultice of definite health. It fits into a diet with variety, but it's not the be all to end all fat. Mix up those fats! The body loves to utilize different fats from polyunsaturated, monounsatureted, long chain, medium chain, short chains, and saturated.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    The best thing to fry your mushrooms in is butter, because it is by far the best tasting combination. Barring that, olive oil.

Stay away from hydrogenated products (like Crisco) but other than that, just learn to use small amounts and figure it into your overall calorie math for the day. You need fat. You will feel much less hungry and your skin and hair will thank you.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Why not buy an oil sprayer (you can find them at any kitchen store) and fill it with olive oil? That way you have a spray without all the chemicals.