Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    its is,, for smearing it all over your body and well, you know,,,,,,,,
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Yikes! Not a bit of common sense here. Anybody that thinks that the fat in coconut oil is a good fat is buying into some kind of crazy sh**. The fat in coconut oil is 92%, I'll say that again 92%, saturated. Anyone here want to say that saturated fat is good for you raise your hand. No one? That's what I thought. As a comparison the fat in beef is only 50% saturated. The fat in butter is 63% saturated. You would be better off stirring butter into your coffee that coconut oil. If you want to eat coconut oil go ahead. Like anything else, moderation is the key. But saying the fat in coconut oil is a "good fat" is just insane. There is not one single piece of medical or scientific evidence or research that proves coconut oil is beneficial in any way. On the other hand we have butt loads of medical evidence that proves that too much saturated fat is horrible for your heart, arteries and intenstine. By simply applying a little common sense one could figure out that a fat that is 92% saturated could not possibly be a "good fat".

*raises hand*

I put both butter AND coconut oil in my coffee. It's amazing. :drinker:

I'll see your butter and coconut oil and raise you heavy 40% cream! :D

LOL, full disclosure: I use heavy cream during the week, and make bulletproof coffee on the weekends. :drinker:

LOL you win THIS time... :laugh:

I use heavy cream in my eggs every day and also some ghee or red palm oil. Whatever I'm in the mood to go with. :)

Mmmm... I love putting heavy cream in my coffee... :heart: I've heard a great deal about this coconut oil in coffee and I'm intrigued. I know coconut oil won't have any difficulty "melting" in coffee, but do I need to blend it or something? I've put coconut oil in my bath before, but unless I really swish the water around, it would tend to stick to itself and sit on top. I can't help but think the safe effect would be at play in coffee. Thoughts?
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yikes! Not a bit of common sense here. Anybody that thinks that the fat in coconut oil is a good fat is buying into some kind of crazy sh**. The fat in coconut oil is 92%, I'll say that again 92%, saturated. Anyone here want to say that saturated fat is good for you raise your hand. No one? That's what I thought. As a comparison the fat in beef is only 50% saturated. The fat in butter is 63% saturated. You would be better off stirring butter into your coffee that coconut oil. If you want to eat coconut oil go ahead. Like anything else, moderation is the key. But saying the fat in coconut oil is a "good fat" is just insane. There is not one single piece of medical or scientific evidence or research that proves coconut oil is beneficial in any way. On the other hand we have butt loads of medical evidence that proves that too much saturated fat is horrible for your heart, arteries and intenstine. By simply applying a little common sense one could figure out that a fat that is 92% saturated could not possibly be a "good fat".

*raises hand*

LOL, full disclosure: I use heavy cream during the week, and make bulletproof coffee on the weekends. :drinker:

I use heavy cream in my eggs every day and also some ghee or red palm oil. Whatever I'm in the mood to go with. :)

Mmmm... I love putting heavy cream in my coffee... :heart: I've heard a great deal about this coconut oil in coffee and I'm intrigued. I know coconut oil won't have any difficulty "melting" in coffee, but do I need to blend it or something? I've put coconut oil in my bath before, but unless I really swish the water around, it would tend to stick to itself and sit on top. I can't help but think the safe effect would be at play in coffee. Thoughts?
    Yep ... I use my immersion/stick blender, but you can use a regular blender too. Makes it latte-like. Mmmm!
  • msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You need to take the bad stigma away from "fat". SOME fats, like coconut oil are GOOD for you. I drink coconut milk and I eat a lot of nuts. ALL healthy fats, and my cholesterol is in GREAT shape.

Please research the difference between "good" and "bad" fats, and how they can impact your life. And enjoy your coconut oil in the process.
    This^

YES, THIS >>>>>> coconut oil is amazingly good for you!! just use a teaspoon.
    cut out added sugar in your daily life, instead of good fats, for better handle on things :-)
  • RivenV
    Options

*raises hand*

Yep ... I use my immersion/stick blender, but you can use a regular blender too. Makes it latte-like. Mmmm!
    You have no idea how excited I am to try this--especially because I love my stick blender. I use it all the time in the kitchen. So perfect!
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    You need to take the bad stigma away from "fat". SOME fats, like coconut oil are GOOD for you. I drink coconut milk and I eat a lot of nuts. ALL healthy fats, and my cholesterol is in GREAT shape.

Please research the difference between "good" and "bad" fats, and how they can impact your life. And enjoy your coconut oil in the process.
    This^
    Yes this^^ The 90's idea that fat makes you fat is finally going away! (Thank God!) It is not the sat fat that clogs your arteries...its the white, super refined flour we chomp down by the pound! The fat would not hurt you if it wasn't combined with flour that your body can not properly use nor cleanse itself of. You may as well eat glue! About a year ago i stopped buying white flour as much as possible. I still use animal fats and coconut oils. I DO NOT use fake butter products or Crisco. If I MUST use a solid fat I use coconut oil or if it pie I use lard.
    My husband and I feel a TON better. We easily lost weight just doing this! His cholesterol is back to healthy. We feel amazing. So in the end I think it is processed foods that harm...not natural butter and oils.
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    It is healthy. It is a healthy fat. Just like peanut butter is a healthy fat .Don't focus on fat and calories as much as what TYPE of fat it is.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    They told you coconut oil was good for you......they lied.

It's GREAT for you.
  • GenF32
    GenF32 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    "So you want to be able to fry your mushrooms with something low fat and low calorie without too many chemicals? May I suggest unicorn oil? You can find it in the magical fantasy aisle of any grocery store. Either make it fit in your macros by dropping something else or give up the notion that your mushrooms *have* to be fried"

Sorry OP, but this was funny - and only because you rejected out of hand every suggestion you were given and essentially demanded some sort of magical answer.

You may want to take seriously the warnings about your Dr. and diet. Your "macros" could not be worse (okay, they could, but not much) for insulin resistance. Mushrooms fried in a heaping T of coconut oil, on the contrary, would actually be GOOD for you.

Yup, spot on.
  • amcgltdchix
    Options
    So you want to be able to fry your mushrooms with something low fat and low calorie without too many chemicals? May I suggest unicorn oil? You can find it in the magical fantasy aisle of any grocery store. Either make it fit in your macros by dropping something else or give up the notion that your mushrooms *have* to be fried.

I laughed.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    " I might as well be using butter or crisco vegetable oil. "

No. Coconut oil is much richer nutritionally than those things. And like the others said---it's a matter of "good" fats & "bad" fats. Also, 90 calories is a drop in a bucket of your overall calorie intake for the day. As long as you aren't globbing coconut oil on everything, it shouldn't be a calorie suck.

There are 0 calorie cooking sprays & whatever, if you REALLY are that scared of coconut oil, but those sprays are full of chemicals & don't have any nutritional value.

I don't need nutritional value, just something to fry my mushrooms in that is low fat and low calorie.

Yes I wont use the sprays, who knows what is in those.

You don't care about nutritional value, but won't use sprays? Get over the crap you've been told about fat. Coconut oil, and all healthy fats, are not the devil. I put coconut oil in my coffee, cook with it, get 60% of my calories from fat, and am losing about 3 pounds per week. Insulin. Insulin is what drives fat gain and loss.

Im insulin resistant so my doctor has me on a very low fat diet. I can get no more than 10% of my calories from fat.

If you're insulin resistant you should be worrying more about carbs than fats.
  • Lovlilyn
    Lovlilyn Posts: 79 Member
    Options

Have you looked at the Food Pyramid from the 90s? 6-11 servings of grains and potatoes a DAY. Good GOD.

The experts told us all to eat like cattle and we did. We replaced fat with grains (starch and sugar) to eat that ****ty low-fat diet.

Yeah, but do you realize what a serving size is? 1 slice of bread, 1/2 c of cereal, 1/2 a cup of pasta - the recommendation was 6, not 11, and it was for WAY less than we were consuming.
  • Lovlilyn
    Options

I must have missed something here. First you say that about 25-30% of your diet should be fat for overall health. Then you go on to say that it's not a "real food." Why is fat not a real food if it's a necessary and vital part of your diet, as you yourself have said?
    Additionally, you concede that fat is satiating, but wonder how anyone could feel full with a high fat diet.
    Either I'm confused by what you're saying here or you're confusing what you're trying to say. Thoughts?

What I mean is that eating tablespoons of fat just for consuming fat wouldn't be satisfying to me. I can consume 25% of my fat calories because they are part of my fruits, vegetables, grains, and proteins. I guess I'm picturing people eating spoonfuls of coconut oil, and maybe that's not correct.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Have you looked at the Food Pyramid from the 90s? 6-11 servings of grains and potatoes a DAY. Good GOD.

The experts told us all to eat like cattle and we did. We replaced fat with grains (starch and sugar) to eat that ****ty low-fat diet.

Yeah, but do you realize what a serving size is? 1 slice of bread, 1/2 c of cereal, 1/2 a cup of pasta - the recommendation was 6, not 11, and it was for WAY less than we were consuming.

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/MyPyramid/OriginalFoodGuidePyramids/FGP/FGPPamphlet.pdf

It says 6 to 11 servings a day. That's crazy. The recommended actual gram amount of carbohydrate was around 300, which is far too high for anyone with a messed up metabolism, which is a significant minority.
  • Lovlilyn
    Options

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/MyPyramid/OriginalFoodGuidePyramids/FGP/FGPPamphlet.pdf

It says 6 to 11 servings a day. That's crazy. The recommended actual gram amount of carbohydrate was around 300, which is far too high for anyone with a messed up metabolism, which is a significant minority.

6 for an 1800 calorie a day diet - 11 is for someone who is consuming 2800 calories. At my 1300-1500, it would be more like 4 servings, which seems pretty reasonable to me. Let's face it, people were/are still consuming way over the recommended amount of grains and pasta - and that's the issue, not the recommendations. The obesity is coming from not eating enough of the recommended servings of fruits and vegetables, eating too many starches/grains - especially in its high-fat form like french fries, crackers, cookies, and bread and pasta with butter and high fat sauces, and not from eating too little fat. I'm sure that 99% of people actually followed the pyramid per the guidelines/serving sizes, they would lose weight.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Just 3 short months ago, I was in your camp.
    However, eating that 'reasonable' diet didn't work for me, it actually did the reverse.

Being part of that 1% that you mention, but the goofy thing is, that 1% seems to be an astonishing number of the population. Notice I do concede that not *everyone* reacts this way physically.

Had I
    Had I questioned the USDA's food pyramid recommendations sooner, I'd likely not have jeopardized my health and future quality of life the way I have, permanently.

Clearly this is just my personal point of view, I've read enough & know enough from the objective data that I am able to make a rational choice for myself and my family.

If the it works for you, by all means have at it :drinker:
    I wish you well in your journey.
    edited for typos =)
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    You can try making them in coconut milk curry. Overall, it is a low calorie way to make tasty veggies. I like to add eggplant to it -- because it is a veggie that would absorb a lot of oil if fried, but this way it just absorbs a lot of curry.
  • RivenV
    Options

I must have missed something here. First you say that about 25-30% of your diet should be fat for overall health. Then you go on to say that it's not a "real food." Why is fat not a real food if it's a necessary and vital part of your diet, as you yourself have said?
    Additionally, you concede that fat is satiating, but wonder how anyone could feel full with a high fat diet.
    Either I'm confused by what you're saying here or you're confusing what you're trying to say. Thoughts?

What I mean is that eating tablespoons of fat just for consuming fat wouldn't be satisfying to me. I can consume 25% of my fat calories because they are part of my fruits, vegetables, grains, and proteins. I guess I'm picturing people eating spoonfuls of coconut oil, and maybe that's not correct.

I can honestly say that, as a part of my regular diet, I don't simply sit down to eat a tablespoon of fat. However, I do specifically set out to eat foods that are high in fat--cheeses, cashews, peanut butter, bacon, avocados, eggs, almonds, whole milk, etc. Even when a reduced fat option is available, I'm considerably more likely to take the full fat option. As I said earlier, I'll put heavy cream in my coffee without batting an eye, and I feel good about that choice. I eat a couple tablespoons of peanut butter every evening for the simple reason that it's delicious--it helps that it fits into my macros and calorie count, too. I'm sure there are plenty of people who do the same with coconut oil for no more complex of a reason other than they find it tasty.
    I can appreciate how it might not appeal to you, though. I've never sat down with the specific intent of eating carrots or celery just because I thought they tasted good, but I'm open to the fact that there are (insane) people who actually enjoy eating raw vegetables in such a fashion. :tongue:
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

Yes this^^ The 90's idea that fat makes you fat is finally going away! (Thank God!) It is not the sat fat that clogs your arteries...its the white, super refined flour we chomp down by the pound! The fat would not hurt you if it wasn't combined with flour that your body can not properly use nor cleanse itself of.

IMO this is the exact same kind of flawed dogmatic thinking - just replacing fat with white flour.
  • jamiecrick3582
    jamiecrick3582 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yes they have to be fried. The spray has too many chemicals in it.
    [/quote]

Have you tried the Misto sprayer? You put whatever oil you want in it and spray away. No chemicals.