Everyone told me coconut oil was good for me

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• JDySart777
    JDySart777 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    It just doesn't fit my macros. If your not going to answer the question, move along please.

whoa....

aVZgT.gif
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    The fact remains that coconut oil is high in calories--over 100 calories per tablespoon--and is 92 percent saturated fat. Keri Gans, a registered dietitian and spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association says, "In moderation, that's OK, but in large amounts, we know that saturated fats can lead to high cholesterol and heart disease. Moderation is key."

And, how about a little sanity from the Mayo Clinic:

According to the Mayo Clinic, coconut oil is a source of saturated fats, which many clinical studies have shown to raise total blood cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, the "bad" cholesterol. These elevated cholesterol levels increase the risk of coronary heart disease. In an online article on dietary fats, the Mayo Clinic recommends replacing coconut and other tropical oils with food sources of unsaturated fats such as olive oil and canola oil, fatty, cold water fish such as salmon and mackerel, as well as nuts and seeds.

I never said fat makes you fat, duh. I also know that just about anything in moderation is generally harmless, including saturated fat laden coconut oil. Just trying to point out the faddish nature of coconut oil. If the Mayo clinic is suggesting the use of other oils, there is probably a pretty good reason. They are the experts, not me. Hell, if you like cocnut oil just say so. But don't tell people it is "great" ,"awesome" and has tremendous health benefits when it clearly does not.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    The fact remains that coconut oil is high in calories--over 100 calories per tablespoon--and is 92 percent saturated fat. Keri Gans, a registered dietitian and spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association says, "In moderation, that's OK, but in large amounts, we know that saturated fats can lead to high cholesterol and heart disease. Moderation is key."

According to the Mayo Clinic, coconut oil is a source of saturated fats, which many clinical studies have shown to raise total blood cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, the "bad" cholesterol. These elevated cholesterol levels increase the risk of coronary heart disease. In an online article on dietary fats, the Mayo Clinic recommends replacing coconut and other tropical oils with food sources of unsaturated fats such as olive oil and canola oil, fatty, cold water fish such as salmon and mackerel, as well as nuts and seeds.

I never said fat makes you fat, duh. I also know that just about anything in moderation is generally harmless, including saturated fat laden coconut oil. Just trying to point out the faddish nature of coconut oil. If the Mayo clinic is suggesting the use of other oils, there is probably a pretty good reason. They are the experts, not me. Hell, if you like cocnut oil just say so. But don't tell people it is "great" ,"awesome" and has tremendous health benefits when it clearly does not.

The Mayo Clinic, like most official channels, are full of **** when it comes to nutrition.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

The Mayo Clinic, like most official channels, are full of **** when it comes to nutrition.

:laugh: I agree with TRex....lately when searching out info, when MedMD and Mayo Clinic pops up, I just keep it moving.
    MedMD always thinks I have cancer & trust me....it's not a tum-ah.
  • fadedflower79
    fadedflower79 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    So you want to be able to fry your mushrooms with something low fat and low calorie without too many chemicals? May I suggest unicorn oil? You can find it in the magical fantasy aisle of any grocery store. Either make it fit in your macros by dropping something else or give up the notion that your mushrooms *have* to be fried.

This ^ lol
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You may want to take some time off, and read up on healthy eating and fat.

In the meantime, I will be cooking my vegetables in butter, and sometimes coconut oil, eating high fat, medium protein and low carb, while keeping my insulin LOW.

Also, get a new doctor.

Good luck!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Okay. Thanks to some of you for your helpful replies. I think I will try grilling them like one poster said. Have a nice day everyone.

fyi you're sauteing the mushrooms not frying them. big difference. have you thought about using a 1/2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil to saute them? use a napkin or paper towel to grease the pan.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    " I might as well be using butter or crisco vegetable oil. "

No. Coconut oil is much richer nutritionally than those things. And like the others said---it's a matter of "good" fats & "bad" fats. Also, 90 calories is a drop in a bucket of your overall calorie intake for the day. As long as you aren't globbing coconut oil on everything, it shouldn't be a calorie suck.

There are 0 calorie cooking sprays & whatever, if you REALLY are that scared of coconut oil, but those sprays are full of chemicals & don't have any nutritional value.

I don't need nutritional value, just something to fry my mushrooms in that is low fat and low calorie.

Yes I wont use the sprays, who knows what is in those.

You don't care about nutritional value, but won't use sprays? Get over the crap you've been told about fat. Coconut oil, and all healthy fats, are not the devil. I put coconut oil in my coffee, cook with it, get 60% of my calories from fat, and am losing about 3 pounds per week. Insulin. Insulin is what drives fat gain and loss.

Im insulin resistant so my doctor has me on a very low fat diet. I can get no more than 10% of my calories from fat.

You need a new doctor. I'm insulin resistant with PCOS and a 60% fat and low carb diet is the only thing that will help you lose weight. You are sabotaging any efforts at weight loss since you are continually flooding your body with insulin and excess sugar. PLEASE. I am not a troll or lying to you. Research High fat low carb diet for insulin resistance.

This. I've also been diagnosed with PCOS and IR. I have to eat a low to very low carb diet in order to control my blood sugar. My insulin resistance is improving since I've lost 70 lbs in the last year and have been keeping a lid on the carbs and exercising. I eat higher protein and fat, but have kept carbs low-- anywhere from 50g/day up to 120-150g/day (where I'm at now).
  • JSA17
    JSA17 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    " I might as well be using butter or crisco vegetable oil. "

No. Coconut oil is much richer nutritionally than those things. And like the others said---it's a matter of "good" fats & "bad" fats. Also, 90 calories is a drop in a bucket of your overall calorie intake for the day. As long as you aren't globbing coconut oil on everything, it shouldn't be a calorie suck.

There are 0 calorie cooking sprays & whatever, if you REALLY are that scared of coconut oil, but those sprays are full of chemicals & don't have any nutritional value.

I don't need nutritional value, just something to fry my mushrooms in that is low fat and low calorie.

Yes I wont use the sprays, who knows what is in those.

In my opinion, coconut oil is disgusting. I know it's good for you, blah blah blah. I make my own oil spray. I bought a squirt bottle and a high quality extra virgin olive oil. I poured the olive oil into my brand new squirt bottle and VOILA!

I know what's in it, and I don't need a lot of it. Just spray to your hearts desire....
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options

Have you looked at the Food Pyramid from the 90s? 6-11 servings of grains and potatoes a DAY. Good GOD.

The experts told us all to eat like cattle and we did. We replaced fat with grains (starch and sugar) to eat that ****ty low-fat diet.

Yeah, but do you realize what a serving size is? 1 slice of bread, 1/2 c of cereal, 1/2 a cup of pasta - the recommendation was 6, not 11, and it was for WAY less than we were consuming.

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/MyPyramid/OriginalFoodGuidePyramids/FGP/FGPPamphlet.pdf

It says 6 to 11 servings a day. That's crazy. The recommended actual gram amount of carbohydrate was around 300, which is far too high for anyone with a messed up metabolism, which is a significant minority.

6 for an 1800 calorie a day diet - 11 is for someone who is consuming 2800 calories. At my 1300-1500, it would be more like 4 servings, which seems pretty reasonable to me. Let's face it, people were/are still consuming way over the recommended amount of grains and pasta - and that's the issue, not the recommendations. The obesity is coming from not eating enough of the recommended servings of fruits and vegetables, eating too many starches/grains - especially in its high-fat form like french fries, crackers, cookies, and bread and pasta with butter and high fat sauces, and not from eating too little fat. I'm sure that 99% of people actually followed the pyramid per the guidelines/serving sizes, they would lose weight.

If you followed that logic then you'd only be having 1 serving or less of everything else on the pyramid.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    In my opinion, coconut oil is disgusting. I know it's good for you, blah blah blah. I make my own oil spray. I bought a squirt bottle and a high quality extra virgin olive oil. I poured the olive oil into my brand new squirt bottle and VOILA!

I know what's in it, and I don't need a lot of it. Just spray to your hearts desire....

If the desire is to fry, extra virgin olive oil is a bad choice.

Extra virgin olive oil is excellent for many applications, but extra virgin olive oil has a low smoke temp. The smoke temp is the temperature at which the oil converts to what is for all intents and purposes a trans fat (which everyone agrees is bad for you).
    The smoke point of oils and fats is the temperature when it breaks down and fails as a lubricant. When oil breaks down it forms a whole host of bad things, including stuff that can give you cancer. There are also things in that broken oil that will cause foods to stick and that taste very bad. Knowing how hot the oil you are using can get will help you avoid the Smoke Point.

You don't want to use an oil -- any oil -- at a temperature above its smoke temp. And, unfortunately, the better the extra virgin olive oil, the lower the smoke temp.

If you want to use olive oil for pan frying, use lite. Because it is more refined (iow has more removed from it) it actually has a higher smoke temp than extra virgin.

It's a matter of choosing the correct oil for the correct application.

Relative smoke temps of oils:

Avocado Oil: 520 degrees
    Clarified Butter/Ghee: 480 degrees
    Canola Oil: 470 degrees
    Extra Lite Olive Oil: 460 degrees
    Peanut Oil: 425
    Almond Oil: 420 degrees
    Grapeseed Oil: 395 degrees
    Lard: 370 degrees
    Butter: 350 degrees
    Coconut Oil: 350 degrees
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil: 320 degrees (basically, the lowest of all the common cooking oils)
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Simmering mushrooms in broth is really yummy. Beef or veggie broth with garlic and some other seasonings. Like mushroom soup :happy:
  • Dmkolls
    Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Yes they have to be fried. The spray has too many chemicals in it.
    [/quote]

You state in your OP that you're better off using Crisco - you do know that isn't the most natural thing, right?

If you don't care about nutritional value or benefits, then why bother asking? Just use your butter or crisco.,
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

Wow. See, I'm the opposite. My macros are 60 carbs, 30 protein, 10 fat. so I don't allow very much. Mostly just from meats.

Then maybe you need to just stop frying things if your fats are set that low and you don't want to 'dry fry' or grill them.. Sacrifice those fried mushrooms to fit your macros.
    Sometimes you just can't have your cake and eat it too. ... Or so times you just can't have your mushrooms and eat them fried, too.
  • 2delicio
    2delicio Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You sound just like me. that's exactly what I say . . . "I could eat them on a shoe" . . . LOL I love them on everything too. They cook down to nothing though, so you can eat a lot. I try to use 1 TB of olive oil only, but they do taste better with a little more of some butter. I haven't tried the coconut oil yet, but I have some. I will have to give it a try. OH, and try adding a pinch of sugar to the pan, not much, just a pinch. It helps to camelize the onions and mushrooms, but watch so they don't burn
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It just doesn't fit my macros. If your not going to answer the question, move along please.

You might double check your macro ratio if you can't fit in a spoonful of oil for your mushroom fix. You need a minimum of 0.35g of fats per pound of body weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets