Marriage Proposal and Being Fat

Options

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    If you losing weight/getting in shape is something you want to do for yourself, then go for it. But there is absolutely no reason to postpone an engagement or wedding for that. Just be excited about making that commitment with someone you love.
  • cherrypeach1
    cherrypeach1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    If there is a photographer involved I would hope my hair is brushed at least.

Nope...no photographers involved (at least not that I know of). Just the two of us and the ring.
  • getfit_fritch26
    getfit_fritch26 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    No...when my husband proposed I was at a weight I hated.

But at that moment, no matter your weight, you are going to feel your absolute best. At the moment my husband asked me to be his wife I felt amazing, bc the love of my life just asked me to spend mine with him!

Don't worry about how you look, or your weight, or anything else. Just soak everything in and remember every moment of it!
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    i previously told my boyfriend of almost 3 years not to propose to me until i felt confident about myself again... we are in no rush and i want to be able to look back at all the pictures and memories that go along with a proposal down the road and not be depressed about how i looked/felt about myself then. sure it may seem petty, but i know that i will be happier this way.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    No, of course not.

Much better to be loved for who you are, then work on your body to get it how you want, right? And to work together to keep in shape for each other. Not to have some peak of fitness right at the beginning, then go downhill. Be good for each other, better together.

I would go so far as to say any guy waiting for you to hit some perfect weight before he proposes is probably not someone you want to marry.
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    To me, it would be far more important to feel good on my wedding day about my weight.
  • cherrypeach1
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    No, of course not.

Much better to be loved for who you are, then work on your body to get it how you want, right? And to work together to keep in shape for each other. Not to have some peak of fitness right at the beginning, then go downhill. Be good for each other, better together.

I would go so far as to say any guy waiting for you to hit some perfect weight before he proposes is probably not someone you want to marry.

Thanks for this...and I totally agree. I know he loves me for who I am and that my weight has no bearing on his love for me. I just want to feel like I'm at my best because I truly feel that he deserves it. We both deserve it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Do you feels it's important to look and feel your best when your significant other proposes marriage to you?

At the time of the proposal? No.

At the time of wedding pictures? Yes. In fact, that's why I'm here.
  • cherrypeach1
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Do you feels it's important to look and feel your best when your significant other proposes marriage to you?

At the time of the proposal? No.

At the time of wedding pictures? Yes. In fact, that's why I'm here.

Oh wow! Congrats! :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Well I wouldn't want to do it while standing in a vat of raw sewage but the fact that somebody was asking me to marry him would make me feel pretty good on its own. Of course, I think that out-of-the-blue proposals are silly and that people should discuss getting married before actually getting engaged.

Are you talking about waiting to lose weight/get in shape before getting engaged or are you talking about being dressed up or what? This is a vague question.

I mean ... Do you often stand in vats of raw sewage?
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I cant say that how I look would be the first thing on my mind when getting proposed to, but I'd for sure prefer to look back on the moment and feel good about all of it (including how I looked). Though, I think its all very personal, some people are most comfortable in sweats and make-up free lounging around with their partners. I, on the other hand, enjoy throwing on a nice sundress and maybe some lip stain even if we wont be leaving the house...
  • alyssa_rest
    alyssa_rest Posts: 276 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I was less worried about the proposal and now am more worried about my actual wedding day. Is it important to me? Yes, but I value my health and want to look and feel my best. Is it important to him? Absolutely not. I wouldn't be marrying him if my weight dictated getting married or not. He loves me for me.

Edited for spelling error.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Is your boyfriend planning on popping the question soon or is this just a long off thought that popped into your head?