What is/was your major in college?

Options
15678911»

Replies

• Basia_and4345
    Basia_and4345 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    BS in Business Management.

I am hoping that before long I will be able to go to school to be a Dietitian and a Personal Trainer. Still in the process of mapping that out but first I have to have Cataracts taken care of so I can see ... I have an evaluation next week! :glasses:
  • Pollart77
    Pollart77 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    BA-Organization Development with a minor in Business
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    BFA Painting, BA Art History.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Anthropology undergrad and Graduate School.

And let me tell you it takes a lot of dedication to be an Archaeologist. I love Archaeology but it is very hard to make money doing it unless you are willing to live out of an SUV and follow the work. I miss being outside all day but I don't miss the poison ivy. I now work in the office of a major government contractor. Go figure.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Interesting topic!

Graduated May 2011 with a Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Law with an emphasis on Gangs and Women in Prison. My teacher for Gangs is actually an expert witness with the Los Angeles County Sheriff.

However, I now work at the telephone company as a dispatcher. Oh well!
  • TheRightWeigh
    TheRightWeigh Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I did sociology.
    I am not using it.
    I think I want to leave my current industry and be a teacher. I refuse to go to school again, though and will get alternative certification. I want to teach High School English or Social Studies.
  • jzrharv
    jzrharv Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Genetics. Though I work as a Senior Industrial Hygienist and have not used the genetics portion of my education. The chemistry, physics and biology on the other hand, lots and lots.
  • MissJacquelineN
    MissJacquelineN Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Mine was a Bachelors of Science in Business Administration with a focus on international business and marketing. Although I'm applying for law school so I don't know how much it'll do for me. :D
  • maycontainjane
    maycontainjane Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    About to start my second year of working towards my BS in Computer Engineering with a minor in math. I originally thought I'd be an English major since I'm typically more the artsy-fartsy type. Of course, programming is an art all its own.

Good to see other computer nerds getting fit here! Most of the ones I know just play Skyrim and practice programming. There's more to life, kids!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    BS in Geology with minor in Geography

(and beer went with all that... LOL)

:tongue:

'cause that's how earth scientists roll. :drinker:

For real! There is nothing like going out for beers with your professor/advisor/mentor.

lol so true :)

Sounds like the anthropology deprtmests i was a part of. I monored in Geography and Loved Geology!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Psychology. I waited until the latest possible time to decide on a major because I was interested in so many different things. I picked psychology based on really enjoying a psychopharmacology class (so basically, because drugs are interesting! :D). I went on to get my doctorate in neuroscience and have a job in my field today, so it worked out nicely.
  • cynthiapick
    cynthiapick Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My Degree was a BA Hons in :-
    major Social sciences
    Minor Women's Studies

Very enjoyable
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    BBA in Accounting from St Bonaventure University (class of 1999!) <--- hence my user name "Go Bona's '99" :wink:
    MBA with a concentration in Accounting from Oswego State University (class of 2000)

Full ride academic scholarship to SBU. Workstudy, grants and loans for OSU - had my student loans paid off within 7 years. :drinker:

I worked in public accounting for 2 years. Got my CPA license in 2003 (after I got out of public and had time to study LOL!). Beed working in the private sector for 12 years now. :smile: I love my job (most days haha) :laugh:
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have my BS in Nutritional Science, but I am in a totally different field now. And, alot of the girls in my major had various eating disorder behavior...
  • elanaknt
    elanaknt Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have a BA in both Spanish and French and an MA in Spanish.

I started undergrad as a biology major since I had graduated from a science and math charter high school, but quickly realized that I actually loved Spanish and was good at languages in general (I also took several courses in Mandarin Chinese, Italian, Japanese, German and Arabic). So I went with my interests.

I have been teaching college Spanish for three years and I hate it. I love the actual teaching, but hate the job--administration BS, university politics, being overworked and underpaid, having to teach lower-level required classes to students who have no desire to learn anything...which would only slightly improve if I shelled out big bucks and time for a PhD (not happening).

I am currently trying to get back into giving private lessons and tutoring (which I did all throughout undergrad and grad school--I loved it and got paid well) while simultaneously brainstorming options to do something else...
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    BA in Human Resources Mgt, BS in American Indian Studies with Minor in Business (2 different universities)

I am working on my Masters in Retirement. :happy:
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    elementary education, which opens doors for interviews with preschools/daycares all the time. however, hate to sound negative, but i want to see if others went through the same thing?

I went to the wrong university. BYU in Provo, UT, although a really good school, they were very discriminatory, and didn't like anyone who was different. I was unique and bold, and they had a target on me the whole time. they didn't allow me to finish up my student teaching (no serious reasons) and now moving from Utah to WA state I may have to go back to school all over again to finish up my certification, because of what they did. More money and time, and I am pretty upset. I am thinking of a lawsuit against them and speaking to the president! but they don't care about their students! meanwhile, I have had to take low paying jobs because I can't teach without a certification.

A degree doesn't really do much, especially in education!!!!
  • Asterie
    Asterie Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    BSc in Management and Systems Science, because I'm lame and love math, business, and programming! Initially I just wanted to major in business, but I found that it wasn't challenging enough and I stumbled upon this lovely major. Is it sad to say I love studying the topics of my current major? haha
  • sgtlittle
    sgtlittle Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Physics and math...actually using my degree as a health physicist.