What is/was your major in college?

Options

Replies

• Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Started off Comp Sci but switched to Psych thanks to Calculus 2. Graduated w/ a BS in Psych (Cognitive studies), minors in Spanish, Archaeology, and Alcohol. Got a job in computer operations & programming about 23 years ago, been there ever since... So yeah, all over the place. :laugh: Just goes to show life doesn't always follow the plan! :wink:
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    I have a Bachelor of Science in Human Resource Management and a Masters in Social Work. But now I do neither. I am a fitness coach because that is really my passion :)
  • jtobenchain
    jtobenchain Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Electrical Engineering with a Specialization in Military Intel and a Minor in Mathematics.

Its a fun major!
  • kaylurzz
    kaylurzz Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Almost done(maybe a year and a half) with a BBA in Management and a minor in commercial music.
  • SRB8710
    SRB8710 Posts: 90
    Options
    I have an AA in Criminal Justice. I am getting my BA in Psychology: Child and family development and then one day want a Masters in Social Work. :)
  • knityoupants
    knityoupants Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Creative Writing and Philosophy double-major, and couldn't be happier :) Don't take any of the s*** people give you for doing what you love.
  • DistantJ
    DistantJ Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have a BA in Business Education which allows me to teach business classes to grades 7 - 12 (or 5 or 6 - 12 depending on the state). I chose it because I loved all of my business classes, loved working in the business world, and wanted to give my students some useful skills so they could get better jobs post-high school. Because of my business classes in high school, I was able to work in banks and other such nice jobs to put myself through college while the rest of my friends were working harder/longer hours slinging hash for less money.

ANYWAY. That was in 1993, and my job has kind of evolved over the years so now I teach mainly computer-related courses such as web design, computer tech, etc. I still teach marketing and entrepreneurship.

I digress. I received a full-ride scholarship to receive my masters degree a few years back, so that is in Instructional Technology and Learning Sciences with an emphasis in Distance Education. I think online schooling is the wave of the future, and I'm riding that wave, baby! In fact, I teach from home right now for an online charter school. I love it!

Best of luck! Speech and Language people are ALWAYS needed, so if you go that route, you will be able to get a job. But really, anything in education isn't a waste of time if you have a love of learning and young people.

:happy:
  • 65svtfastback
    65svtfastback Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Never did the college thing....completed an apprenticeship as a sheet metal worker, then moved onto a business degree from the school of hard knocks lol....working out pretty well!! Been at it 15 years now!!
  • LilBritGettinFit
    LilBritGettinFit Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    B.S. in Exercise Science minor in Liberal Health. Not using it, I work for Enbridge. Will be going back to school for Mechanical Engineering. :)
  • eautrey124
    eautrey124 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Electrical & Computer Engineering with minors in Computer Science and Mathematics! ONE MORE YEAR!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I'm going for my AA in Sociology at the moment. Hope to one day work with military veterans once I graduate with my BA.
  • kelseymaccombs
    kelseymaccombs Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have a B.A. in Advertising and a B.A. in Spanish Language & Linguistics

Going back for an M.B.A. in Brand Management in a couple of years (that's the plan, at least). Happy to be successfully working in my field and paying back my loans (slowly).
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Majored in English with a Minor in Asian studies.

Yep, high demand field.....totally worth the 200k I invested in it. Woohoo, private liberal arts colleges!

I feel your pain!

I did history because I like it and wanted to be a researcher, conservator, curator or something fancy like that.

Also, 6-12 teaching because my parents are educators and I was almost done with college, realized I couldn't afford my masters for about 2 decades and then thought, well what in the world does one do with a bachelors in history? Of course I live in Illinois with the $100 billion pension crisis so there are less than no teaching jobs.

It is truly a useless degree. Damn my useless interests.

I currently work in an office making barely enough to pay my bills and those damn loans.

I have bad decision making skills.
  • saeede83
    saeede83 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    BS in Computer Engineering
    MS in Information Technology
    PhD in Computer Science (ongoing)
  • kelseymaccombs
    kelseymaccombs Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Oh! And my roommate through all of college was a Speech Language Pathology major :)
    She is starting grad school in the fall.
    Best of luck to you! I was always interested in that stuff when she talked about it!
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    2 year Business Management Diploma from Canadore College in North Bay, Ontario.

Now: Full Time at Laurentian University for Accounting.... 10 years later.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    BS in Journalism. I've never used it. What a waste of money that was. Wish I'd never gone to college because I could have done what I do now without it.
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    BS - Electrical Engineering
    MS - Project Management
    Future MS - MBA
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    It was going to be microbiology, or something with genetics, maybe.
    I got married and had 3 kids with only 2 yrs of college.
    My boys are older, I am 41 and think I want to get certified as a medical interpreter for the Deaf.
  • aweiser03
    aweiser03 Posts: 21
    Options
    Im a physical therapist assistant. Love the job and hours I have. Helping people get better without the responsibility of medicines and all the nursing stuff.