What is/was your major in college?

Options

Replies

• lizamichelle1
    lizamichelle1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I majored in Business Administration - the New High School Diploma - after first trying Accounting and Info Tech.

Now I find myself interested in HR as more of a paper-pusher than I go out and shake hands HR person. Problem: I didn't go to school for it, my experience is 5 years old (thanks recession), I don't have any "hook ups" and I refuse to give the rest of my life to Sallie Mae.

So I suffer...
  • andreabrabham
    andreabrabham Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My major is Nutritional Science
  • trinitylyons01
    trinitylyons01 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Originally I majored in Long Term Health Care because growing up my grandmother watched soap operas and the hospital administrator jobs looked so interesting. But I dropped out after one year.

I went back MANY years later and changed my major. I now have an AA in Psychology, a BS in Psychology with a concentration in Applied Behavioral Analysis and am currently working on a MS in Psychology with a concentration in Health Psychology, which I will complete next year.

I would love to actually get a Ph.D. in the field but the thought of continuing my education past my master's degree for another 4-7 years literally makes me homicidal!
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Finished a journeymen in Electronics Assembly and then went back for a major in English with a minor in sociology... and never finished.
  • lizamichelle1
    lizamichelle1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have a Bachelor of Science in Human Resource Management and a Masters in Social Work. But now I do neither. I am a fitness coach because that is really my passion :)

I would love to put my name on your degrees lol.
  • BV1980
    BV1980 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    B.S. in electrical & computer engineering. I worked for 4 years as a process automation engineer in the steelmaking industry. I now am a senior software developer for a financial services company and have been there for 3 years.
  • romanticRECK
    Options
    Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems with a concentration in Network Security. Graduating next spring and then I'll be pursuing a master's degree. :)
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Toxicology
  • xMelGetsFit
    xMelGetsFit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    B.S. in Elementary Education minor in English
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I have a BA Hons French degree, an MA in Translation and a PGCE (postgrad certificate in education). I teach French at secondary school.
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I went to college knowing I wanted to be an English major, because I love reading and writing papers, and thats all I really wanted to do. Unfortunately, I didnt know what I would do with such a degree, so I started out taking education classes also. Decided I wanted nothing to do with teaching and decided to go to law school instead. Then during law school I decided I would join the military!

B.A. in English, with minors in pre-law and philosophy
    J.D. (law degree)

Now on active duty with the US Air Force serving as a JAG lawyer. :)

One day I want to go back to school and get a PhD in English, though. Glad I will have the GI Bill in the future because I am still paying back my massive law school loans. :(
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    • Did 4 semesters (including early entry summer) as Electrical Engineering with Physics minor...
    • Hated it, so switched to Liberal Arts and Sciences (LASC), which was a combo of 3 minors: Computer Science, Statistics, and Business
    • My full-ride scholarship was tied to Engineering, so that one semester of LASC was fully out-of-pocket *OUCH*. Since my college choice was based on Engineering, figured might as well go home and attend college locally.
    • Started working full-time and attending local community college part-time for Information Systems. Slow going because I had limited credit transfer and couldn't test/place out of mandatory courses that were "beneath" my level at the time.
    • Got a job in IT based on self-taught skills; dropped out of college completely and haven't looked back.

Currently in year 20 of an IT career making 6-figures... so I think that's not bad for a (non-entrepreneurial) college dropout who refuses to go into managerial roles. However, I readily admit that luck played a role and I likely wouldn't have had the same success in today's world.
  • _Xtine
    _Xtine Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Interior Design... worked in banking for 12-years. Go figure. ;)
  • MommaRoseFitness
    MommaRoseFitness Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Sociology (children and sports), Criminology, and Mass Media Communications (Radio mostly)
    I have three bachelors degrees.
  • IRollC30
    IRollC30 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    BS in Information Technology
    Currently working on my MS in Information Technology as well. It's much harder this time around (also because I'm going to a much better school for my masters than I did for my BS.)
  • Naywifey07
    Naywifey07 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    1st 2 years in college was studying nursing but took a break and earned my BA in Criminal Justice :bigsmile:
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Interior Design... worked in banking for 12-years. Go figure. ;)

Lol... mine is just as useful. I have a degree in Sociology with a emphasis in Social Welfare. I have been in banking for 11 years now. :-)
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I got my BA in English knowing it's a broad field and I could go into a few different areas. I'm going back for my Master's this spring but still haven't settled on a program... either Public Relations, Mass Comm, or Student Affairs in Higher Ed.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Web Applications --> Psychology --> Human Resources Management.
    |
    v
    Web Master

I took a round-about way.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    When I look at the peripheral costs (books and such) and see the outrageous prices charged to these kids, it makes me sick. Charging a student $200+ for a book is unconscionable. It's a scam.

Yes, it is.....