WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options

Replies

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Karen, your daughter looks so beautiful and you do too.

Debbie, welcome. If you can walk you are doing great. If you only get up and walk for 5 or 10 minutes at a time just do it more often. We are with you.

Allie, I know it has to hurt your heart to see Kyle treat your DD that way. *sigh*

CarolGA, I hope your mom is up to a good visit after you do that drive to see her.

Barb, 10 days of camping sounds like hell to me but I hope you enjoy it.

Pip, you go girl! exercise-bike-smiley-emoticon.gif

Barbie, you know we don’t care if you all whine about driving in traffic. We love you.

Heather, sorry you had to hear the “garbage” from your irritating friend. Sounds like the packing is right around the corner. Such fun and excitement!!! captain-smiley-emoticon.gif

Tracie, good to see you so don’t be a stranger.

Jane, I like your goal. We’ve miss you too.

Allie, I just want to cry for you. I swear I don’t know where you get the energy to do all that you do. You are such a saint and deserve so much more than you get. ((((Hugs))))

Karen, sorry you got dragged into the mess your co-worker created for herself. I’m sure you’ll do the right thing.

Carey, that is a good quote. Thanks for sharing.

Joyce, I hope each day will get better and easier for both of you.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I worked on getting ready for the neighborhood garage sale today. It was hot out in the garage and will be in the mid 90’s on Saturday. The worst part is the humidity. DH and I were going to put out signs this afternoon and of course it rained. Now the plan is for early in the morning. I’m sending hugs and love to all of you and only the best wishes for good things.

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Gloworm46
    Gloworm46 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Lenora thanks for the tips but what happened last night is I was really sleepy and I hit the wrong button.

Becca I had to laugh at the blow dryer tip for itching as I could just picture your DH sucking on the blow dryer trying to get relief! I sincerely hope they pin down the problem tonight. (((((Hugs)))))

They moved my mom to a rehab facility I'm assuming for physical therapy etc. When one of my sister's was there she had a seizure which had been suspected before. They had upped her seizure meds prior to the l test episode which obviously did not work.Neurologist seeing her today. Sister will update me later. She does seem to be doing better so I am no longer in panic mode.

Completing my Food Diary even if I go over. In June 2011 when I retired I weighed 350. For quite s one-time I have been maintaining at 272. My body seems to like it here but it's in for a Big surprise as I get back into losing mode!

Love and HUGS to all!

Gloria in cloudy humid drizzly WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,678 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Miriam, I think you could charge for psychiatric counseling for each of us in private chat. I could listen to you all the time. I feel so blessed with the combination of personalities that we have here and how willing each one is to give of what their strengths are. This isn't just a forum, it is a loving, nurturing home.

I forgot to put down a goal I have for just the next week. As you probably realize by now, I don't usually put down goals. But this past week in the hospital I have been drinking hot chocolate or sometimes a combination of Pepsi/Diet Pepsi. I don't like the taste of diet drinks but if I gradually increase the amount of the diet into the full soda I can drink it. But 3 years ago I gave it all up. Sometimes but rare I do drink unsweet tea with, shocker, Sweet n low. So I have to get off the soda. Have to!

Our first evening home is done and I am done. Like I mentioned earlier, he has been sitting in my office chair, no reclining and a very sore butt. Well actually it's no butt since it was removed surgically. So i finally convinced him to take some Lortab, he got sleepy and said he was ready to head to bed. So when Michelle gets off work, her room mate who lives with her are going to come over. We are going to move the TV/cabinet probably over most of the window, love seat next to it, then a recliner that is in the family room into the living room with our bummer recliner next to it. Charlie's Dad worked for Lazy Boy repairing and upholstering so he got us a big boy recliner and also a more petite one. He got these because Lazy Boy were throwing them away. Well he took them and put them in his shop and remade them for us as a surprise. The big boy reclines but doesn't lock in place. The smaller one is very easy to take apart. So Michelle and Kevin will rearrange our living room, It will look crowded but it will help him immensely. Her roommate is this little teeny tiny Asian guy. He is divorced, works same shift as Michelle and needed a place to stay. She charges him $50/week and has a bedroom too himself and the use of the rest of the house. Michelle's dogs love him and he takes care of them when Michelle goes on vacation. So they both have quite a deal.

Joyce, all done out in Indiana
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    Did an express dumb DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do Gilad's 45/45 Split DVD

Debbie - welcome! Walking is a great start to your exercise program. Don't get real focused on losing 10 pounds in June. If you don't make it but you feel good, that's the important thing -- feeling good.

Joyce - Vince constantly has Fox network on. If it's not Fox, it's CNN. I am with you, after a while it gets so so boring

Is anyone else having trouble with MFP? It seems to constantly be freezing up on me

Went to go see Dixie Swim Club at the Green Room tonight. It was REAL funny. Let's see, volunteered at the Green Room (can't get over how the tickets for Dixie Swim Club are selling! They added two more shows and one of them is already sold out), then went to WalMart. Vince can't understand why we need to go again, we were (as he feels) just there. Well, we went to the one that he wanted to go to. I needed to go to this one since they carry some things that I needed. Stopped at CVS to get Loki's medicine, home for dinner then back to the Green Room. I really wanted to see Dixie Swim Club, Vince had no desire to see it, I tried to ask another gal and she didn't care to see it, so I went to the IDR (Invitational Dress Rehearsal) by myself, and I'm glad I did. Just got home. They have a volunteer meeting before the IDR, I'd forgotten about that. The lady had strawberries and whipped cream. I just had some strawberries. Other times she's had cakes and things, I've just never had any.

Vince saw the snake again, thank goodness I didn't see it. He's sent an email to someone who comes and evidentally takes it away.

Kim - I'm finding that when I have food that is high in fat, I feel so "yukky"

Pat - lovely flowers

pip - wow! 7th in the state. Congrats

Lynn - welcome! I'm so sorry about your daughter. But it's great that you're supporting your other daughter.

Beth - welcome! Don't get discouraged. See how your measurements are. Sometimes the scale doesn't show a loss but your clothes do

B - welcome to you, too. So sorry to hear about your dad. I think maybe one of your goals should be not to feel so downtrodden

traci - happy birthday to your hubby

APreciousF - welcome! Love your goals

Becca - keeping you and hubby in my prayers. Please keep us updated -- we care very much

Miriam - it seem like just yesterday that you were adopting those girls! Are you SURE it's been 3 years?

Debbie - Vince likes his prepackaged food, too. So does Jess. That's (sadly) a problem

Beth - my kids' high school put on an after prom party, too. They would be basically locked into the gym until 5a.m. The parents went all out decorating, tho. The only way a kid could leave is if they had a note from their parents saying that they could leave. Hope your son has a great time

Alison - I agree with what marian said about you and Tom. Should the marriage fail, it's his fault, this is a learning experience for you

Joyce - how wonderful that you got those recliners!

Michele in NC
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    Sleepless in Hampshire! Oh well. This too shall pass. I did sleep the esrly part of the night. :)

I would like to add one more thing to Miriam's helpful comments. BE MORE SELFISH. Sounds strange I know, but, unless we assert ourselves and have firm boundaries over how we are to be treated and how we treat ourselves, we are setting ourselves up for stress and more stress. It is fine to help others from a position of loving strength, but unreasonable demands and shabby treatment are not acceptable. Iit is always a balance and the dividing line is not clear cut, but if something is making you unhappy, change it. If you can't change it, do your best to develop acceptance. Above all, ASK FOR HELP. Be clear about what you can and cannot do and make sure everyone knows those limits.
    In order to be a productive, happy human being we must respect ourselves. We must say NO. We must say YES to the things that we want. We all have to make compromises in this life, but we shouldn't make ourselves ill doing it.

Sermon over! I like to hear myself speak speak sometimes so that I will listen. :laugh:

Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,789 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies~
    thank you all so very very much for all the love, its warms my heart..
    It is amazing what a good nights sleep can do.. and yes I gave them my bed, but have a nice thick futon with frame that will work nicely if needed..
    you are right Tom is a grumpy old man, but he is having some issues with his hip and leg and hobbling like crazy.. he is also very stubborn, I asked him when he might call a Dr about it and he said when I need to I will. so I let it be.. he stopped taking glucosamine and condroitene (sp) about 3 months ago, and he says he will pick up some more and start on that first.
    I got a text from Tracy after I had shut my phone off last night saying they need a new shower head and curtains for there bedroom and bathroom, I am hoping that she doesn't expect me to go out and buy those.. I have done more than enough and they can get those, probably for under 50 bucks
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Ladies, I'm off to drive DD and "friends" (please let them still be her friends, how I hate girl drama :/ ) to a beach house in Rhode Island, about a 3 hour drive give or take. Should be fun and I am treating myself to some shop therapy at the outlet mall on the way back. I don't do shop therapy much but what the hey! I need to wear clothes with a little more color to them, and a bright shirt or snazzier skirt will lift my spirits, I think

Getting off soda, diet drinks and sugar substitutes was one of the best things I did for myself. Can't stand the taste of any of that anymore, but it did take some time to withdraw from it. Good luck with that Joyce it is worth the adjustment. I've heard that dri nking diet drinks actually increase your appetite, so who knows, getting off them may have other benefits.

The rain is headed east, let's hope it finally leaves Texas and all its residents alone!
    TGIF
    Karen from NY
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    Options
    Karen NY - One thing my cleaner told me, while we were sorting out clothes, is that I need to wear brighter colours. I do wear bright tops a lot, but long habit from my fat days means I always go for black/dark trousers/pants. :laugh:

Just about to start putting things in the suitcases. :sad:

Love you all. You keep me sane. :D

Heather UK
  • kritney
    kritney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday ladies!
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Michele, the adoption was final in December 2015, but the girls came to my house on June 8, 2013. Actually, I picked them up in Kansas City, midway between Tyler Texas where my sister worked and lived during the week, and Iowa. A days drive for both of us. I was shocked that after meeting me and spending the night with Grandma and me in a hotel room that they willingly got in to my car with NO TEARS and chatted all the way here! The more I have learned about what they went through, the more I understand their relief at getting away from their parents.

Joyce, I found that flavoring my water with lemon helped transition off soda. It also cuts your thirst better than just plain water. I also taught myself to drink my iced tea without sugar before I moved south at age 20 so I wasn't drinking sugar all day. I rarely drink any soda now- maybe one diet Dew while I am watching the girls do TKD (since I am getting really tired and sitting makes me moreso!).

I think about you ladies all the time and hold you in my heart, even if I don't respond individually to you.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Good Morning!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,678 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 11.24min, 13.5amph, 130mhr, 2.5mi = 91c
    OTHER- PHYSICAL THERAPY @ gym- 40min, 8 stretches, 1-2sets of 15 some w/5lb weights, 3sets of planks = 199c
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.23min, 10.2amph, 140mhr, 1mi = 58c
    ride dome 2 hm- 16.57min, 9.6amph, 155mhr, 125ahr, 2.7mi = 183c
    total cal 530
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, all... working in the warehouse since 3 a.m., but have a lot more to do before I can have another sale. Not killing myself for this one, like I did the last one. I found in the treasures that my sister hauled over for me a marble etching of Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg. It's not been cared for well, have to figure out how to clean the edges of the marble. Thinking about making a side table of it, with glass to protect the etching. Also found a printer's drawer, and have seen a lot of them done as tables with glass tops, building a frame so you can change out the bits and bobs in the drawer. Lots of them store jewelry, as the divisions are quite small. Love all the potential but have to rein the creativity back to what I can accomplish.

Allie - we do love you, and I totally agree with Miriam and with Heather. Your marriage is not a failure, it's an experience. One person cannot make a marriage work forever. A little selfishness would also benefit all of us. We were raised to be all things to all people. My flight attendant days taught me that you have to put your own oxygen mask on before helping those around you. If you don't help yourself, you won't be able to help anyone else.

I beat myself up for quite a long time about my first marriage being my "failure." It was not. It was two people who shouldn't have been together. I was stubborn enough to keep it going for 27 years--but it should have been over in 10. Even those 17 years weren't wasted, they made me who I am now, and put me in the right place to find Corey. But until I looked at him and thought "I'd rather die alone than live with you," I wasn't able to go. I hope you can see it when you finally reach your own breaking point...

Off my soapbox and into the shower!
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,975 Member
    Options
    :)Heather, packing is challenging for me, too. I'm going to a line dance workshop tomorrow (Saturday) and staying over until Sunday. I have a list of what I'll wear, what I'll put in my backpack to have available during the workshop, and what I'll have in my suitcase. I think I've listed everything and then in the middle of it all, Jake starts talking about what we'll bring at the end of the month when we go to Seattle for three days for his surgery---he got me confused about what I was packing and then made it worse by suggesting that the suitcase I was taking for me for one night would be adequate for the the two of us for three nights. I told him firmly that I didn't want to talk about the other trip until I came home from this one.

<3 Barbie
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Barbie makes sense. When things get in a whirl I just have to stop and make a simple list one step at a time. I can't juggle too many things at once myself. I pack way too lite but I like it that way!
    Writing out the plan, sticking with a plan. Sounds like MFP ;) Karen NY
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

I didn't get to read yesterday so I just caught up. I can't remember a lot of stuff to post individually on, but here are the things I DO remember...

Alison - Other folks beat me to it, but I agree with them--You didn't fail at your marriage. Tom is/did. It took me a little while to get that after my divorce. I wasn't perfect but my ex refused to change in anything and I nearly lost myself completely in trying to change to please him. It took me about 7 years after the divorce to realize that and I'm still working on ridding myself of others' expectations so as to find who I really am. Oh, and Miriam's right even though I know it's a hard thing to swallow. I often wonder how much damage I did to my daughter by sticking it out in my marriage when it should have been over years earlier.

JaneMartin - So wonderful to see your post! I have been thinking about you and wondering how you were getting along. I'm glad your knee surgery is finally scheduled. Please be sure to let us know how it goes!

Jan from Fuquay - Welcome from Burlington! An old high school boyfriend who I found on Facebook now lives in Fuquay-Varina. I grew up in Marion, NC and he moved there at some point--his dad taught NJROTC at our high school.

I'm off for my tip to my parents' after work. I have to stop and buy gas on the way out but then should be able to hit the road. In addition to taking my now nine-year-old grandniece out to dinner and to the Livermush Festival, I have had three confirmations from high school/childhood friends who plan to be there. We will need to figure out where to meet up. I'm thinking seriously about stopping off in Hickory to pop in to see another guy I went to school with. He has to work today so can't go to Marion tonight, but he invited me to stop by his workplace on my way by. I talked to Makaela yesterday afternoon and she sounded really excited about going out with me by herself.

Becca, Joyce, and Barbie, you are all in my thoughts as you deal with your respective husband's health issues.

Off to work I go....

:heart: Carol in NC