WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,764 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    at this point I really don't know what I am going to do...I have been up an running since early morning, and my brother and I, Kyle and Tracy basically unloaded the truck, I went up early and took my Ex down to the housing authority to sign papers and then down to his apartment to get his keys and stuff, then back up to my dads house. we both feel the same way about Kyle although he did apologize this morning when I saw him..
    Like I thought would happen his mom offered for them to live there ,but more confined quarters...and she truly is a nasty woman..
    I am totally exsausted and can barely move and almost passed out a couple of times..but got through it, it has been what a day that was a cluster pluck, insert correct word...just way to much stuff, lots of boxes ,and neither the futon or bed they brought would fit up the stairs to there bedroom, so I offered them mine...it is a full size and will fit up the stairs, well that didn't go over well with you know who... and I am not gonna let my daughter sleep on the floor... my dad has been watching Taliah and the dog while they run down to Rich's apartment,storage unit and back.. I came back after doing all that and swept and washed all the floors and took apart my bed...and got it out where they can just trot it out to the truck...
    I am in no mood to argue, nor am I in any mood to be happy.. I just pray that things settle down soon..
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,647 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,
    Lillian – congrats on the pending retirement

Miriam – thanks

Alison – I second what Miriam said about setting an example.

Marcelyn – it’s amazing, we could use a few of those inches…

Welcome all the june newbies – most of us would agree, I think, - keep it simple, log food honestly and consistently, and keep your goals reasonable. You are not on a diet, you are embarking on a new lifestyle – a new way to deal with food, and the addition of as much movement as you are able.

June Goals
    1 fun thing a week
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • Igilchrist
    Igilchrist Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    City Jane London - years ago after a trip for which we'd packed way too much, I created a list for our next sunny destination trips. I find it very helpful when my brain is on a million other things to do before leaving.

Irene
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    B)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,764 Member
    Options
    I have been a failure at so many things,and I dont want to fail on marriage again.. I messed up once, and dont want to go through it again...
    I want to be able to be free and easy and not kill myself , which lately I have been doing daily....but I will let things sit for awhile...
    Tom will be going down for another week to Florida, there is a leak at the back of the house and with rainy season coming up we dont want the house getting ruined.. right now he is looking at plane tickets, but they are astronomical.. so dont know what his plan is.. for me im drinking the rest of my ice water and I got close to 14,000 steps today and did 39 floors..
  • debbierichardson7186
    debbierichardson7186 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Need to plan meals better and do some pre-prepping. My husband does the cooking and is stressed getting meals everyday. He wants to do everything himself but I want to help relieve the stress without hurting his feelings. Clean eating is new and he likes to use prepackaged and boxed foods.

Debbie in TX
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    Welcome ... To the new ladies.

Hi Jane! ... Good to see you back!

Becca ... Continuing good thoughts for your husband...

Janetr ... Everyone is allowed to have down periods ... You've had a lot going on ...

Karen in NY ... Beautiful photo of you and your daughter! It would seem some of the drama must have ended as she is all smiles. Now explain to me what prom house is. And was her prom on a weeknight?

My son's prom is this Saturday followed by an after prom party from 12-3 :00 am in the school gym. Both events are highly monitored. He's not looking forward to any of it as the young lady he is taking (as friends) has been excluded from her friends from their plans ... Sigh. We have to pick up his suit from the tailor, buy shoes and figure out transportation details yet.

I failed miserably in my May efforts. I am putting on weight at an alarming rate and made an appointment with my doctor. Nothing more than eating too much. Stress is literally going to be the death of me.

So my June goals are to take care of my health by going back to what I know works... Tracking calories, water, strength training ...

I had to go shopping today because none of my summer clothes are comfortable.... This must not happen again. And, because I'm going away for 3 days with friends in Monday, I had to buy a new swimming suit. Talk about adding insult to injury! Is there anything more awful than trying on bathing suits when you not only feel fat but are 30 pounds heavier than you were a year ago. I so need you all to strap on your boots!

Beth near Buffalo
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    allison moving is one of the biggest stressors. Give yourself some recovery time. No decisions--just time to regroup.

The problem with my colleague at work is ramping up :# I am being called in as a part of the investigation into her misconduct. Yikes I am not jumping into that without the support of professionals. Can't get into details but it is a sad chapter in my career that is for sure, I am not in danger of losing my job but she most certainly could. In this case I am calling on a higher power to carry me through. Karen from my
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Karen from NY :s
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Janetr OKC - :'( for the poor goats and llamas and guinea
    Beth near Buffalo I completely empathize. Not comfortable in your own skin. ((Hug))
    Alison You may have failed at some things. (I have failed at marriage twice. And a bunch of other stuff I won't go into right now.) On the other hand, you can run circles around most of us on this forum. And you are a good friend to the women here. And you are loyal to your family. None of that is too shabby.
    Karen from NY Ugh. How uncomfortable. Glad you are consulting with professionals. It makes me squirm just to think about it.
    Becca and Joyce You are in my thoughts daily as you support your seriously ill husbands.
    Everyone else <3

Karen in Virginia
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »

Janetr ... Everyone is allowed to have down periods ... You've had a lot going on ...

Stress is literally going to be the death of me.

So my June goals are to take care of my health by going back to what I know works... Tracking calories, water, strength training ...

Beth near Buffalo

Thanks, Beth. I better get a grip myself now too. We can both do this, we both know what we need to do. Unfortunately stress will always be here to deal with as life continues to unfold around us. I think we are adding to our own stress level when we over eat and then beat ourselves up over it. :(. Consider yourself "booted" as will I. Big (((hugs)))

Janetr okc
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Newbies: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. :smiley:

Heather: It sounds like you are ramping up for your cruise. I am so pleased that you'll be sharing your journey with us when you can. :heart:

Tracie: A loss of 17 pounds in two months is amazing. I averaged a couple of pounds a month, but I'm not complaining. I learned new habits on the way and the weight is still off. Welcome back. :flowerforyou:

Becca: I agree with you about Seattle traffic. I drove to my son's home in Auburn several times. Traffic gets crazy at Fort Lewis/McCord and stays that way. Tacoma is mind-boggling and the boggle gets even worse. I did my best to time it when there was little chance of running into a shift change rush hour and managed to stay sane. I think Washington needs to diversify its commuting options. It won't be easy. :noway: Unfortunately Portland seems heading into similar problems because of the intense dependence on two bridges between Oregon and Washington, I-5 being the busiest, and then I-405. :ohwell:

Miriam: I love what you are doing for your daughters. You are one of the rare & special people who act on their convictions. (((HUGS)))

Jane: I've missed your posts. I'll look forward to seeing more of you. :bigsmile:

Janetr & Pip: There is a reason Pitbulls have a bad reputation, and it is the fault of owners. My daughter lost a cat to neighborhood dogs a couple of years ago. They killed it on DD's front steps. :tear: I'm a dog lover, but I've no patience with people who let dangerous animals roam free. :noway: :mad:

Alison: If Tom is a physical danger to you, get out. I haven't sensed that to be the case from what you've said. He mostly seems to be an unhappy, grumpy old man. If you want to stay with him, find joy in other friends and family members and accept him as he is. You have a very tender heart & you'll have to find a way to let grumpiness slide right on by without causing heartache. :heart:

Carey: I love this quotation:
    “Some days are better, some days are worse.
    Look for the blessing instead of the curse.
    Be positive, stay strong, and get enough rest.
    You can’t do it all, but you can do your best.” ~ Author Unknown

Thanks for sharing! :heart:

Tonight is the first of 13 concerts in a park that is near us. It is simply called 13 Nights on the River, and has been an ongoing tradition for the last several years. Tonight's band is called "Hit Parade." We're likely to stop by for a while. It is walking distance from here.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Hugs to all who need them and unfortunately that seems like a lot of us!
    My DD1 is going through a rough patch job wise that is affecting her mental health so if there are pray-ers or well-wishers here feel free to add another person. Also I am being driven crazy myself by DD2 and her poor communication skills. Trying to figure out what to do and how to handle it if my heart gets broken again. So I guess I could use a hug too.
    Allison I wish I had a good crystal ball to peer into to help you. I think you are a candidate for sainthood. You take care of your husband's father, right? DH should be treating you like a queen.
    Heading to the Upper Midwest next weekend and wondering what kind of weather you are having up there. Is it still kind of spring like or have you gone straight into humid continental summer mode? Lived there a long time ago and seem to remember June could be either rainy and cool or hot and humid.
    Betty
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Allison, if your marriage does end at some point, it will not be our failure. It will be Tom's failure. You also did ALL you could and even more for your family. You don't need to give up your precious bed. All of you have told me so many times that I need to rest, take care of myself, etc. You can't be a caregiver if you don't care for yourself. I am saying that to you now.

I don't think I could ever grow a clemantis. It sounds like a, uhmmmm, well a disease.

I have said before 'what a difference a day makes'. Well I say that again today. He feels awful. His butt hurts more, he is more gassy, etc. But he is home. In our living room we have a couch, loveseat and because the living room is small we chose the recliner that the the reclining mechanism doesn't work. It will recline but doesn't lock. So there really isn't anywhere for him to put both arms on something to help him get in or out of wherever he is sitting. So I wheeled my office chair that has plenty of padding into the living room. But it has no locks! It's going to be a long day and night, day and night, day and night. Do you get my drift. Sees the surgeon next Monday and I hope all stitches come out then.

Did go to the dentist to start my partial plate!!!!

Joyce, Indiana
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn My only thought regarding all the rain/flooding you are having comes from the movie Finding Nemo. Dory has a short little song she sings over and over whenever she is in trouble - 'Just keep swimming, swimming. Just keep swimming swimming.'
    bpvejhstnx87.jpg

Annr I love your flowers. I have been afraid to try and grow them as I don't want vines popping up everywhere and I don't know if these are those kind of vines. Think honeysuckle - I love it but it will take over your yard in a heartbeat.

I'm between contractors now on my fireplace replace. So my job is to get in there and do drywall repair, texture and repaint the sections of wall that will not be covered in stone. Stonemason arrives mid-June to hang the mantel and begin setting stone around the fireplace. I know, it's summer and I am having a fireplace installed...color me crazy but happy.

Charleen in Colorado (Summer is here - Trail Ridge Road is open to the west side of the mountains!)
    amg0ckeemdev.jpg
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,966 Member
    Options
    The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

Strategy is stronger than willpower.

t115001.gifI don't have nearly the amount of "stuff" going on in my life as many of you do, but even so, I've had to "stay in the moment" to avoid feeling frantic and overwhelmed by things. That has been my front line defense to most of life's challenges and it continues to work for me.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    21,000 steps
    185 minutes of dog walking
    two line dance classes

<3 Barbie from humid drizzling NW Washington
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Charleen I took all my grandkids over Trailridge on opening day several years ago. They were thrilled with the snow piled so high. They still talk about it. Thanks for the sharing the pic. Brought smiles and fun memories.

Katla I totally agree with you on dogs and their owners behaving responsibly. We had a huge pit bull that was the most well behaved, loving dog I've ever had. We lost him 5 years ago to lymphoma. These were not pits, unfortunately just dogs probably abandoned by their humans. :(

Barbie - big (((hugs))) to you. You have a lot on your plate and yet decided not to feel sorry for yourself. So following your example, I added my grandson to my gratitude list today. He is safe, has a bed to sleep in, food to eat and is off of drugs. Thank you for helping me put it all in perspective.

Janetr okc
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,966 Member
    Options
    Janetra gratitude list is one the best tools for a happy and productive life

Miriam,I learn so much from you