Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,701 Member
    Options
    P
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Linda/IA – If you get too far behind with reading posts; you are just about better off to jump in to the next to the last page (or the one before that) and pick up reading. We are so back-and-forth among us that it is like picking up on a (excuse my example) ‘soap opera’ … in the few days you will almost know where you left off. If you have a question about someone in particular … just ask; we don’t mind repeating. This site is so huge and world-wide that it is difficult, well … impossible to know everybody on here. Some have been posting for years, others are newbies, and still others have come back from a long period of not posting. Don’t ‘fret’ over trying to ‘keep up’.

Carey – Northern Alberta – MFP can also reset your days so that you won’t be starting over, if you miss a couple of days for not having internet service. I’ve written down what I have eaten when we go to DYS’s house because he no longer has internet service at the lake house.

Kim from N. California – I did not mean for it to sound like it was just grandparents; just using it as an example. Could be a neighbor. Just mean that all children ought to have someone that they can go to and feel like what they are being told is the truth. Little ones learn what they live. I have rules at my house that are not necessarily the same they have at home. Making their bed, for example. I want them made up; I don’t want to hear, ‘but, we’ll be getting back in them tonight’. It just makes Nana’s house look straightened up.

Kat02092015 – I think the closer you get to your goal, the more you tend to ‘yo-yo’. I’m on that last stretch and it has been difficult. You find us, you need to ‘bookmark’ it; to do that look for the outline of a star in the upper right-hand corner of the page and click on it, it will turn yellow. The next time you open up MFP, you will click on the gray star between the gray bell and gear. Barbiecat will post a new link every last day of the month for the next month. You’ll have to ‘bookmark’ the page again when that happens. Sometimes you will see a few posts in the previous month … you can click on that month and see what has been posted in the time from when she posts it and when you come back in. This will come down as a dropdown screen. Also, you have an hour to ‘edit’ your post; go to the upper right-hand corner of your post and there will appear a black gear which will drop down with the number of minutes you have to do so.

Debarella – IF you happen to go ‘back’ a page, without first saving your post, you will lose it. Some of us open up our word processing program; and answer posts, then go to the last page and copy it from the WPP and then cut and paste it. That way we can answer as many posts as we want to without running the risk of losing our posts.

Janetr – Charro is so cute hiding her eyes. Whenever we ‘get on to Cracker’ she will stick her nose down into the corner of her bed and hide that way.

Karen in Virginia – I grew up in a small town; and, I always seemed to gravitate to the ‘new’ kids to try to make friends with them. When I got to HS, the school counselor decided to make me the one-girl ‘welcoming committee’ so that I could hang out with the ‘new’ kid(s) and try to determine who they might become friends with. Whether they rode the bus, or lived ‘in town’. The most difficult one was the ‘good-looking’ boy that moved in right at the first couple of days of our Senior year. Hard to get to know him. The girls in school basically threw themselves at him. Got him into band and chorus. I thought he was sort of ‘stuck up’. YEARS later, he told me that until he moved to our town, he had never started and finished school at the same school. His Dad got transferred all the time. Finally, when he became a Senior he agreed not to take another transfer until after he graduated. He turned out to be a really nice guy; long after we graduated from school. He still lives there. I used to think it would be ‘so neat’ to be the ‘new kid’ in town; but, found out that being so, really wasn’t as much fun as it seemed. New kids in our school got pretty popular, pretty quick.

Debbie in TX – I was told by my dietician that since I have ‘upped’ my exercise I need to ‘up’ my protein. A piece of meat, a boiled egg, etc. Seems to help with the ‘drag @$$’ feeling I had.

Kat – You comment about the woman who said she had stayed within 10 lbs her entire life; I’d be ‘in jail’ too … or I would have stuck my big foot in my mouth.

Becca – We are all praying for you and your DH. One reason that I’ll never be ‘in-patient’ without someone staying WITH me. Too many ‘mistakes’ by people who are not keeping up with what they are supposed to do.

Lee – You can enter a ‘chain restaurant’ and find just about anything on the menu. Sometimes I just have to pick something that is as close to what I am eating as I can find. I’m pretty convinced that I am pretty close calorie-wise.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    <3
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Becca ... Breathe and recharge this weekend. Will be praying for you both ...

Hello new ladies!

Beth near Buffalo
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Debbie –
    MFP has picked your calorie count with calories already set to have you lose the amount you picked (1 or 2 lbs a week) so you are cutting out 250 calories additional per day, and drinking an awful lot of water, I am not sure where you got your water guideline but it seems high. I would add back in some of the 250 calorie (with good stuff, not wine or sweets LOL) and cut the water by just a bit…. Are you hitting your protein numbers? And keeping the Sugar numbers at or below what MFP says?

Becca – so glad you were there with DH and that you have all the kids in the loop

Joyce – happy for the positive changes.

All others - thinking of you.

June Goals
    1 fun thing a week, graduation, visiting with vickie
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Becca- (((Hugs))) I'm sorry to hear it all the trouble your DH is going through. I will keep your family in my prayers.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,387 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Leslie Sansone's 5 day Walk DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a pilates super Sculpt DVD

Made these brookies. I think I'll refrigerate them and then cut them up, see how that goes. Of course, I had tohave some of the raw dough. But I did limit myself this time. Actually, it doesn't make a lot of cookie dough so one thing I kept thinking "make sure there's enough to spread on the bottom", doing that helped. The other day I made icing and it was sitting in the refrigerator in a clear container. I kept being tempted so I put it into a container that you can't see thru.

Vince wants to cut the grass and I need to lector at the church then we'll go to Bi-Lo. Have dinner ready so I'll just need to microwave it when we get home.

They brought Jess' car back yesterday (remember it was being fixed), neither Vince nor I can drive a standard so the Hyundai place brought it back. They parked it in front of one garage door that only had Vince's musical equipment in it. Vince said "what a pain when I get the Outlook out". What's the big deal? I tell you, lately he's gotten to be a grumpy guy, he swears at the people on the road. I just say things like "well, maybe they're afraid to pass, just go around them". Oh well....it could be worse.

Glo - I've always found OG's things to be high in sodium. Not sure why they put so much salt in their things. Maybe they want you to purchase more drinks (higher profit for them)

For the first time that I can recall, Vince actually put sunscreen on! Getting a routine down, I guess it only took us 2 or 3 hours to cut the grass. Vince uses the tractor while I use the self-propelled mower, then I get out the weed wacker and extension cords, start weed wacking, have to put the weed wacker (and extension cords) down back while Vince sweeps some, he rolls up the extension cords while I sweep down below. And we're done! Afterwards, I came in and took a little shower then went in the pool. Oh..."another one's down, and another one's down, and another one bites the dust".....a tube of sunscreen that is. My timer doesn't seem to like when it's hot. Yesterday it worked fine if I put it in the shade. Today it just stopped. We think that maybe the heat on the concrete (even tho it's white) expands the battery. Maybe tomorrow I'll take it down with me but put it not only in the shade but on a freeze-thing wrapped in a towel. Update: Vince says that just taking a towel wil be enough

Kathy - welcome! You joined by posting

Larisa - have you ever seen one of those exercise balls? Usually they're around 55cm or 65cm big. Well, this is like half of it. Bosu stand for "Both Sides Up" Here's a link so you can see exactly what it is: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&amp;field-keywords=bosu It's good for core work and also balance. The one I have is this handle in front of mine. My balance isn't that great (that's an understatement!) so many times I need to hold on. But it is good for balance and core work

CJ - Mexican Train is a dominoes game. Newcomers is going to have an ice cream social this year

Linda/IA - our yoga teacher sometimes would do the yoga outside and I really liked it. But they've discontinued all the yoga class (not sure why). Yea for big pants!

kat - you're doing wonderful!

Just rinsing out the clothes we wear when we're working outside

Heather - sounds like you and Penny had a wonderful time. I'm so jealous

pip - Mexican Train has absolutely nothing to do with Mexicans. Have no idea why it's called "Mexican" Train

Penny - what a wonderful pic of you and Heather on the couch. You both look so happy. It's really neat when MFP'ers from different countries can get together.

Re - when I first did HIIT and that was only for 15 minutes, I thought for sure I was going to die! Now I've worked myself up to 30 second sprint and 30 second recovery for 1/2 hour. My goal is to sprint for 20 seconds then recover for 10.

Becca - so glad to hear from you! Were they doing repairs to the parking garage and that's why they towed the car? I'd be upset, too

Welcome everyone new!

Leslie - glad things worked out for you

Michele in NC
  • kat02092015
    kat02092015 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I need some help. Am exhausted after only 30 minutes of very slow walking, even taking a shower and getting dressed is hard to accomplish. Am eating 1200-1500 calories a day and getting enough macros. I have cut out sugars, bread, pasta and processed food. Am seeing Dr Tuesday and dietitian on Friday. Has anyone else had this problem? I thought my body was just adjusting but it has been over 6 weeks. I refuse to give up heathy eating but I need energy!

Debbie in TX

Could you be anemic? That would make you feel tired and worn out.

Kat in Illinois

Could you be anemic?
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Someone recommended Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar and a teaspoon of honey in warm water to combat acid reflux. I can't find the post and don't remember who suggested it. I bought the ingredients and wonder how much vinegar to use with the teaspoon of honey, and how much warm water. I'd like to try it out in the morning instead of the ranitidine and see how well it works for me.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Katla -http://homeremediesforlife.com/apple-cider-vinegar-for-acid-reflux/
    I didn't post it but I use it every day to counteract my carb intake to reduce sugar spikes and reduce excess carbs from turning into fat!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • kat02092015
    Options
    Ok Lenora, I have to ask....
    Where did the GRITSandSLUTS name come from? I'll say it's unique! LOL

Kat in Illinois
  • kat02092015
    Options
    Anybody have any ideas on what to eat when you are a hot bread lover? There has to be something out there that tastes good and is healthy. I'm talking hot loaves or crusty rolls... not sliced sandwich bread.

Kat in Illinois
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new and didn't read all thirty pages, but it have a question for ladies about menopause and am wondering if that's appropriate or not. Thanks!
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Catching up with everyone and I hope that I do not leave out too many people. I worked at a town festival today that had its ups (our group looked fantastic in the parade, had a wonderful set of demonstrations and a great set-up) and downs. A friend loaned his jeep for the parade and came back to find the top had been completely removed instead of just taken down. The icing on the cake for me was getting back to the shuttle lot after dinner and finding that someone had broken into my car. Forced the window open, and messed up papers. Nothing was taken but it has really unnerved me. However, instead of reporting this since nothing is missing, all I could think about was getting home to read the latest installments from each of you.

Becca You are one of the bravest people. I know just how much driving can present challenges, especially when we are stressed. You are handling this beautifully.
    Do you think that we could be come the next Bill Gate$ if we manufacture hospital kilts?http://columbiamusic.homestead.com/bagpipe_animation.gifa754pspdazey.png

Sylvia I hope that you are very busy showing and selling your ceramics and running the new coop shop. Come back to us after your vacation. We miss you.

Larissa A long overdue congratulations. For the mathematically inclined, Larissa has the perfect combination of job, home and gym. http://tanopah.jo.free.fr/seconde/transfo208.gif

Marcelyn What sad news about your sister. So many mission and aid workers come back with horrible diseases. I hope she gets better soon with no after-effects.

Barbie What a lovely, thoughtful tribute to your dancing teacher. It reflects the kind of person you are.

Dr. Katie 5K. Yippee!!!WTG.

BethHow awful that some mean girls ruined your son's prom. At least he will be able to get away from these girls in college. I found that the "popular" mean girls have to change their behavior in college since others are far less likely to tolerate their shenanigans.

Karen in NY It is so nice that you were able to go to the party, despite the attendance of the problem co-worker. Even better that you were able to share your MFP experience and be a positive model for someone else.

Janet OKCDo horrible about the third goat. Can you do anything about the dog owners? It just does not seem fair for them to get away with murder. And I mean that,

Katla I heard that AARP has the best Medicare Advantage and gap plans nation-wide. Does USAA also offer this?

Karen VA I had a special child who also encountered problems with a no tolerance/punish first, ask questions later private school. I sincerely hope that you are able to find the right educational setting for your GS.

Carol NCInstead of the difficult and unsatisfying church job, have you considered computer program tutoring or consulting? Understanding how to work with commercial software packages is difficult for may people. I think that businesses would welcome your teaching skills.

ReWhat courage and honesty. Welcome.

Allie Please, please, please take care of yourself. Don't get hurt, physically, emotionally or financially.

Michele How is the turtle coming along? Pictures?

Heather and Penny Great pictures. I loved the problem about taking pictures of both of you at the same time. Selfies don't quite make it. Penny- I think that cooking for Penny shows what a great friendship the two of you have developed. Blowing kisses. Heather- there are abandoned factories and homes all though the former Soviet Union and Soviet Bloc countries. They prove what a waste that system was.

A few NSVs. I can remove several pairs of pants without opening buttons or zippers and must wear belts with them unless I want to be arrested for indecent exposure. I am not ready to be a nudist yet... My current riding pants are baggy but they will have to do. The fancy FITS show pants that I bought on sale with the hope that I would squeeze into them a few years ago are now too big. To the consignment shop they go, original tags never removed. On Wednesday, just as soon as I got on the horse, it began to thunder and lighting. The rule at this barn is, no riding in severe storms, even in the arena. So my lesson had to be postponed until Thursday. No straddle injury problem this time. In fact, the instructor said that it was as if I had not missed a month at all. I was riding pretty fast and had to half halt several times to keep at a slower pace. I am beginning to feel in much better shape.

Everyone Let's support Pip's Great Cycling challenge to raise money to fight cancer, something too many of us or our loved ones are facing. She is pedaling so very hard. Together, our small contributions will add up.

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    CJ - as the dogs were not caught, we have no idea where they belong nor to whom. Unfortunately I would guess they are strays that roam the wooded areas around here. Thanks for the kind words.

Also, a great big HOORAY for your NSV's. How exciting and feeling in much better shape is what it's all about, way to go!!!

Janetr OKC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Not enough hours in the day today..... cleaned house, cleaned vegetables for the week...went to the greenhouse.. .. after supper I didn't think I had enough steps for the day so took my dog for a walk and then figured there was time for some yard work ... so, push mowed the grass around the fire pit... the mowed the rest of the yard with the riding mower!!

When I retire I will do all this during the week and then do nothing on the weekends .... ha ha ...ya right!!! ( and I made 5.8 miles today,,, yippie!!)

I have been reading about Thyroid diseases. My naturapath says I have hypo thyroadism. and she prescribed Kelp. She said it is not bad enough for Synthroid . All connected to the adrenal gland ... stressed !!

I have to go to bed ... DH says we are going fishing tomorrow... yippie !!! (not really my favourite thing to do!!)

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Heather & Penny – Love your pictures. You both look so happy. Glad that you enjoyed your day together. :)

Barbie – I’m sure your dance teacher really appreciated the party. Sounds like everyone had a great time!

Kat in Illinois – I live in Urbandale, IA which is a suburb on Des Moines. What part of Illinois do you live in?

Becca – So glad to hear from you. I know everyone on the thread has been thinking about you and DH. Sorry to hear that things have not gone easily, but I will be praying that the procedure on Monday/Tuesday does the trick and makes him feel better. I am glad to hear that you are taking care of yourself through this ordeal. Hope you are able to get some rest and enjoy some time with your son this weekend. <3

Did yoga in the park this morning with my oldest daughter. I wanted to go for a walk, but our 90+ degree weather prevented that from happening. Instead, I went to visit my daughter while she was lifeguarding and walked several laps in the pool. Tomorrow we are planning to go on a bike ride if the weather is not too hot.

I’ve been working out at a gym where I received a free membership as part of a 12-week wellness program that I did. That free membership runs out at the end of this month, so I’ve got to start researching new gyms. I love the one I am at, but it is really expensive and I think I can find one that is less expensive and closer to my home.

I’m looking for some more Fitbit friends to help keep me motivated to meet my 10K steps per day goal. If anyone wants another Fitbit friend, please message me your ID.

Linda in hot and muggy Iowa
  • kat02092015
    Options
    Linda in Iowa... I live in Springfield, Illinois. I grew up in a rural area very
    close to the Mississippi. The old stomping ground was Burlington which I have relation there. My brother lives in Muscatine. You're a fellow midwestern girl for sure!

Kat in Illinois
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    ✔️