• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Mary! :heart:
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,368 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Just did a reading marathon! Now I need to get up and do my daily Physio. Then I will work on my 10000 steps.
    Today is a rest day. Yesterday, I finished a fitnessblender 5 day workout programme to Burn Fat/Build Muscle, and boy do I feel the burn!

Becca My heart goes out to you. You have been through the mill, lately, but your positivity shines through.

Penny/Heather Lovely to see you finally meeting. Only sorry that our cruise in July does not go as far north as yours, Heather. I am looking forward to visiting some of those places in the midnight sun. Last time everything was covered in snow!

Pip Impressive stats! How's Kirby doing these days?

Barbie I love what you did for your dance teacher. Typical of your kind heart. You are a worthy successor to her!

Allie Enjoy your break away. And take care of yourself.

Hubby wants to go out, so will have to leave it there! Type to y'all later!

:heart: Healing thoughts and prayers to those who need them! :heart:

:star: Welcome! To all the Newbies! :star:

:star: Let your light shine out in the darkness :star:

:star: Each one of us is a vital cog in an infinite universe. :star:
    We may not know our purpose, but each cog needs to be oiled and tended.

80464089.png

:star::) Let your light shine in the darkness :):star:

Irish Terri hbmw22l1glcz.jpeg
  • Gloworm46
    Gloworm46 Posts: 96 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    HI to All-
    So glad we heard from Becca as I got home way too late to give her a call. I had a wonderful day at one of my grandson's high school graduation party. Since my daughter and son-in-law divorced a number of years ago I saw people that I had not seen in many years. Funny thing we all looked older. Even one of my granddaughters came from WAY up north which was probably a 3 hour drive. BTW this is my grandson who was the 1lb 11oz preemie. Such an awesome and loving boy <3 . He has decided not to go to college right away and would like to apprentice as a carpenter. I think he took Wood shop from middle school through high school.

About pre-planning your food diary. I do that by just putting in my morning coffee for a week ahead as I never know when I will have internet available.

Kat you have a good sense of humor. I have a KILLER look I give people when they say they never gain weight and can eat whatever they want. That keeps me out of a cell with bars and a stainless steel toilet. :)
    And then you had the comment where you said you'd rather eat the wrapper . . .lol been there!

Margaret your "planter" is awesome. I saw one like that on Pinterest as an herb garden. Hope you share pics as it grows.

Janetr Charrow is a cutie!

Joyce you are a wonderful wife and maybe since Charlie is feeling better he is better able to share how much he appreciates you.

Barbie what a wonderful going away party for your dance teacher!

Katla my insurance plan doesn't pay for regular checkups either but I get around it by having to go in for something else like pink eye, floaters, or whatever at which time they do all the stuff they would do at a regular check up and I only pay the deductible.

Michelle maybe you could have Katla come to your party and teach line dancing!

Carol I have not seen any mention of the guy you were dating. Did I miss something?

NYKaren HI! I like reading your posts and glad you found the site.

Penney & Heather you two meeting has me wanting to get in my car and drive from place place meeting all of You!

Love and HUGS to everyone

GLORIA IN WA - who is grateful for the lovely weather today and the wild flowers along the roads!

PS - who was it whose husband had the growth taken off of his forehead and then plastic surgery? I'm wondering how he's doing.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Water Intake If you weigh 200 lbs, it is recommended that you drink 100 ounces of water a day, more if you sweat a lot. If your recommended water intake is over 2 gallons, that would mean you weigh more than 500lbs. 2 gallons x 128 oz/gal =256 oz. If that is half of your body weight, it means you weigh over 512 lbs. I don't think any doctor would recommend 2 gallons of water a day usually. It can mess up your sodium level and make you confused if you drink too much water. A gallon a day (128 oz) is a great plenty...48 oz is more than adequate for metabolic needs. I try to drink 72 oz per day.

Lenora Interesting small town experience you had! The good-looking athletic popular boy I most remember from my tiny little high school turned out to be an extreme introvert. I thought he was arrogant but he was just shy.

I have since learned not to be quite so quick to judge and am constantly humbled by taking a closer look at a person and what drives his or her behavior. My grandson, who I keep alluding to, was listening to me talk about the second amendment the other day, and was clicking and moving a toy gun he had in his hands. My partner got annoyed because she thought he wasn't listening to me, but he was. Moving and clicking the toy was helping him process what I was saying, but it was very annoying and gave the appearance that he wasn't listening.

So we looked up metronomes on the internet and the rhythm made him smile in recognition because that is what he hears or needs to hear while processing. Then yesterday we saw a real metronome and he thought it was the bomb.

Janetr I like the EAS CarbAdventEdge Fudge and Dark Chocolate shakes. They actually taste good. I use the Premier Protein ready made shakes because they are conveniently in Costco and have 30g protein. So great that you are a gastric bypass success story. I always feel bad when I see someone who has gained a lot of weight back after going through a big surgery like that.

Happy Sunday, friends.

Karen in Virginia <3

• lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning all, and a peaceful Sunday to you, no matter what side of the pond you live on!

Out at the ranch this morning... I worked in the warehouse for 8-10 hours, and the hubby started working as soon as he got up. By the time we called it a day at 3 p.m. because it was more than a hundred degrees inside (38 c), he had:
    • replaced the breaker with a stronger one for the on-demand water heater, so now I can get truly hot water without blowing a breaker
    • put in an electric plug for my blow dryer--I've been using an extension cord
    • put a light switch in the bathroom (the lights in the bathroom were wired into the single switch for that whole side of the warehouse)
    • added another light so it's nice and bright in there
    • and put up a massive mirror that my sis brought in with the last load to sell, very baroque, old gold frame
    Love it, gives the bathroom that eclectic touch that makes me happy. If I remember, I'll take a photo.

I'm going to decide by the end of day today whether to have the sale next Saturday--and I'm leaning more and more toward doing it. Lots of work, but worth it to get the warehouse clean and empty again.

Sitting down with the local police chief, county sheriff, and my publisher Monday morning to see if we can get the communication process between them and us (and vice versa) straightened out. Wish me luck--it's been dysfunctional for a long time.

Got to get my opinion article done, something around Father's Day most likely, to publish on Thursday. Then it's back off to town. The DH is supposed to go on a fishing trip the day after his birthday with his boss, his bosses boss, the cattle boss and a couple of other guys. The hangover will be historic, most likely. Hope he really enjoys it, and could not BE more glad I'm not going. Daisy (the dog) will come into town to stay with me while he's gone for four days, which should be interesting.

Love y'all - the weight is staying off, but I think it's just because I'm at a dead run most of the time...
    Lisa in West Texas

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    Did 35 mins swimming this morning. If I swim diagonally across the pool and don't push off from the side, I can make it last seven strokes. All that was going well and then someone else got in the pool, so I was back to lengths. Never mind.
    Then I went to the jewellery making class and made a super necklace with pearls and stones. I was by far the quickest, even though I am a beginner.
    Then I listened to a lecture on the Sami people, who are reindeer herders in northern Norway. Excellent and very political. Good job.
    Off to lunch in a minute. The maitre d keeps our favourite two seat table for us, even though they are only meant to do that for dinner. It makes all the difference to our pleasure.
    Love Heather
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    Morning all-
    Had a good time last but staying awake till midnight is not part of my plan and of course your body clock gets you up,so less than 6 hrs sleep...
    We will go down and feed DFIL then home...then I'm sure there is a list of stuff that I will need to do...
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I have been lurking, not feeling good with a summer cold. But there are two things I want to say.

Please be VERY careful about drinking TOO MUCH WATER! You can actually kill yourself with too much water. It puts all of your electrolytes out of balance. You start to feel weak, confused, and then can die. Drink water if you are thirsty. Drink a glass if you feel hungry. Don't force yourself to drink massive amounts of water. You can die.

I took my girls to the local pool- small town Iowa- and made an observation as I watched all the people there. There are very few people who appear to have a good relationship with food. There were huge numbers of people who were obese, like me, and there were some that were anorexic (yes, there is such a thing as being TOO thin!). But there were very few who were even close to a good body weight. Our culture has a huge problem with food! I was also amazed at how many young boys have boobs. It made me wonder about the hormones in meat- when my kids were young, fat boys didn't develop boobs like that!

Anyway, glad Becca and DH are okay. Loving the photos of Penny and Heather. Love to you all. I am crawling back in bed to hack and cough some more.
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Linda in Iowa... I live in Springfield, Illinois. I grew up in a rural area very
    close to the Mississippi. The old stomping ground was Burlington which I have relation there. My brother lives in Muscatine. You're a fellow midwestern girl for sure!

Kat in Illinois

I currently live in southeaster Wisconsin but was originally from Burlington IA.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • Gloworm46
    Gloworm46 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Just read this: "it doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you do not stop." Confucius
  • auroranae
    auroranae Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Been MIA for a while with Xander's high school graduation and getting him off to beach week and working and grandma duties...its been busy. My goals for May did not happen, so I am frustrated. I log my food and activity and every day it says if everyday was like today you would weigh 205 or 200 or 209 in 5 weeks. Its been 2 months and I have lost 7.5 pounds and gained back 20. I go from 222 to 217 and back to 220 then down to 218.... But everyday it say in 5 weeks I'll be 205-ish.
    So...pitty party over for now.

My June goal is to get from 220 today down to 215 and stay there without the bouncing up and down.

Also I will make an appointment with my GP this week to get this checked out as it just makes no sense to eat well and exercise and not lose anything for months. I started MFP 2 months ago but started my actual diet and exercise back in January so you can imagine my distress after 6 months with no real results. So perhaps there is an underlying health issue that needs addressed.
    I'll try to get caught up on everyone's posts...

Dawn in very sunny and hot and humid and wonderfully summery weather in
    Maryland

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Karen in VA wrote "Janetr I like the EAS CarbAdventEdge Fudge and Dark Chocolate shakes. They actually taste good. I use the Premier Protein ready made shakes because they are conveniently in Costco and have 30g protein. So great that you are a gastric bypass success story. I always feel bad when I see someone who has gained a lot of weight back after going through a big surgery like that."

Yes, the EAS 100% Whey Protein shakes I drink have 30g protein are ready made also, so convenient, I think they are pretty new. For sure gastric bypass is a tool for weight loss, not so much keeping it off. I always say no surgery removes the bad habits nor the addiction to food. I'm working hard at keeping it off. I tell everybody I've lost 1500# in my lifetime. :). Thanks for your kind words.

Janetr okc
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    good morning! Happy Sunday! Quick note to
    Zipp- religion and politics is off limits. Menopause questions are welcome! In fact; dealing with menopause and my changing body is why I went looking for a group of women my age for support. What worked for us when we were younger (pre-menopausal) isn't working anymore! Ask away!
    Water intake- I, too, have had to increase my water intake. Not hard during the warmer months, but difficult in the winter when I don't feel as thirsty. I drink about 80-100oz per day. You can count tea, but not coffee. Skim milk also counts. It took me about two weeks to get used to all of that water. I spent a LOT of time in the bathroom until my bladder got used to the extra water. What works for me is this; I keep a 20oz water bottle filled, I put five blue plastic bands (those rubber kid bracelets work well) around the middle of the bottle. As I drink 20oz, I move a band down the bottle and then refill the bottle. At the end of the day (usually by 5pm) all five bands are at the bottom of the bottle. I used to wear the bracelets on my left wrist then switch them to the right wrist as I drank each bottle, but keeping them on the bottle is just easier.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    auroranae: Are you measuring your food portions or estimating them? I found that I had very inflated ideas of portion size and I needed to weigh or measure everything. If you haven't tried it, I recommend it as a great place to start. Even with measuring the weight came off slowly, but it has stayed off. :flowerforyou:
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. Been busy trying to catch up on all the posts.

Becca so happy you checked in. Have been thinking about you and Dh.

Miriam I know so many people who have a bad relationship with food. Some who don't eat enough (quilty of this myself during emotional stressful times) and those who eat to much during those same times. Food for many is comforting. When I was married his family was big on food everything revolved around food. Celebrations, death, love etc. None of it healthy either.

Lisa you are always on the go wish I had your energy.

Penny/Heather so glad you actually got to meet.

Yesterday went to a fundraiser had a good time. Nothing healthy to eat of course but still think with options available made the best choices I could. Did have several drinks though. Not going to feel bad about it though. Had a good time and not going to wreck that with guilt. Making steps to like myself more and focus on me part of that is to not negatively bash myself.

Well of to take care of the pool and some yard work. Ugh hate the yard work. Have a great day.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    <3 It's laundry day today....I love my washer and dryer..they are nothing special, just the ordinary ones that came with the house when we bought it, but they work...it has been 37 years since I bought my first house and finally had my own laundry room and I have not ceased being grateful for doing laundry at home and not having to go somewhere else to do it...
    .1295703o6czr8k8hf.gif
  • Jacquitheelder
    Jacquitheelder Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone
  • auroranae
    auroranae Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Karen VA-
    my 20 year old son was diagnosed with Aspergers when he was in 8th grade. He would read a book and chew straws in class to keep a "busy" activity going in one part of his brain so he could process what was going on in class. The teachers gave him, and me, a hard time until they realized that every time they called on him to answer a question he was right there with the answer. The only problem we had was with his algebra teacher who said, and yes she really said this with him sitting in front of her, he is too stupid to be in my class. It was an advanced math class and he was failing because she said he never paid attention and was too slow to be there. Well, the State Psychologist who had been called in by the school psychologist because the school psych had never seen such high evaluation results, looked at the math teacher and said- you're right, he doesn't belong in your class, he should be teaching your class and if it was possible we would just skip him from 8th grade to college. Well, that shut math ogre right up and he was allowed to keep reading his books and chewing his straws.
    High school was a challenge but thank God for AP classes that were close to his level and let him earn 12 college credits and for football. Without those he would have dropped out as soon as he was 16. He tried a year of college but as he has no idea what he wants to do he said getting up for an 8am literature or calculus class that may not be relevant to his ultimate career choice was stupid. He had a point as he had no goal that was directly related to his courses at that time so he had no real motivation to do well.
    For him everything must have some relevance to an anticipated outcome or he feels it is a useless expenditure of time and energy. Yes, he is trying at times but his brain works in mysterious ways and he is a genius so... We let him do his thing which is working as a landscaper during the week and a waiter at a large event venue on weekends.
    He and his girl friend are saving money to build a tiny house they have designed that is totally off grid and self sustaining. They are both genius kids which is scary in a good way. Maybe they will become famous for their innovations with home building?

it's been a long and hard road from the 6yo boy who was misdiagnosed with ADD to the brilliant young man he has become... And getting others to understand what helped him tune into his surroundings was the hardest part.

Sorry so long... But children that are different are just different and having a child who is different is hard but wonderful at the same time. Sky once said that his brain doesn't do what he tells it to, it does what it wants and he has to just let it. He was 6 at the time and I have recalled that many times over the years to remind myself that if I am having a hard time with his different-ness, then he must be having an even harder time trying to fit into everyone else's sameness.

Dawn -in still sunny and lovely sitting by the pool Maryland
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Dawn DS so lucky to heave a mom like you!

Miriam drinking too much water happened to my niece. She was helping someone move and just kept drinking water. She did end up in the emergency room. She is fine today. A good reminder. Thanks Miriam.

:heart: Margaet
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Dawn, the disability of autism is usually located in the environment, not the person. Most of the time, if our society was more accepting of people who are different, there would be no disability! Their brains work differently, but also work very well.