Breastfeeding in Public....

Options

Replies

• x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Nothing is more disturbing than the article on the 13yr old kid still breastfeeding. I do not even want to know the weirdness level that scales at.

EDIT*in reply to the parental attachment thing*

In regards to OP, it's whatever, but I was a bottle baby and personally think breastfeeding is weird. Breasts are purely cosmetic to me, but once I have a child, I know that view will change, so I withhold judgment of those that actually do it publicly. My views apply only to me, so if a mother out there breastfeeds, GOOD for her and the kid.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    in Ontario it's no longer illegal for women to go topless in public......

That's a whole 'nuther interesting debate we might delve into..... :flowerforyou:

I call bs on that. I never heard of that.

How can you live in Ontario and not hear of it? It was a huge thing years ago. Women generally just don't go walking around topless but if I want to I could walk down the street topless and not get arrested. Yay.
    It is good for gay pride parades, the topless women no longer get arrested at the end of the march.
    The old naked dudes do though.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Yes, babies need to eat, mommies need to get the milk out of their breasts. It happens. It's also good for children and young people to see. It will help them later to nurse their own babies if they've seen it before and asked questions. I don't understand why people are against it.

OOO this is another soap box of mine. We've repressed the benefits of breastfeeding so much and have shamed it that now women dont even know how to breastfeed! They dont know how to be a mammal!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I just think it's funny; I bet it's those same parents worry about a strip club existing within city limits that say it's fine to breastfeed in public. Hmmm...

I travel a lot and unfortunately, see a lot of unwanted boob.

I travel a lot and hear a lot of unwanted baby crying. Stick a boob in it already.
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I see no problem with it. I breastfed my daughter for 8 months. I was descreet while I did it but if the woman doesn't want to cover up that is her choice. I get a little upset when I hear about women being kicked out of public places for breastfeeding.

Yes. This^
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

That's a whole 'nuther interesting debate we might delve into..... :flowerforyou:

Google Gwen Jacob and/or Topfreedom. Here's a Wiki article if you care: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topfreedom_in_Canada#Gwen_Jacob

OT: I don't care.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

It is legal in the entire state of NY. I'm proud of my home state!
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options

You can even go topless in cali and a few other states. Theres a whole site dedicated to women going topless in public and it lists the states that this is legally allowed. Google it.

Just read up on cali, it is not official and is pretty much in testing. You can be still charged depending on the situation.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding doesn't work if you try to do it on a schedule (it's a supply/demand system and both change at will and without notice) and a lot of babies hate being covered up. I breastfed both of my kids for about 2 years, it's really no big deal, most of the time people didn't even know what I was doing.

If it makes anyone feel awkward or uncomfortable, I suggest checking in with yourself on what that is all about. Not slamming formula feeding moms at all (I had my share of trouble getting things to work right with my first) but it has life-long health benefits for kids, including a reduced risk of obesity later in life. If you think it's a shameful thing that should not be done in public you are essentially saying "F your child's health, b00bs are only for the entertainment of adult males."
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Yes, babies need to eat, mommies need to get the milk out of their breasts. It happens. It's also good for children and young people to see. It will help them later to nurse their own babies if they've seen it before and asked questions. I don't understand why people are against it.

OOO this is another soap box of mine. We've repressed the benefits of breastfeeding so much and have shamed it that now women dont even know how to breastfeed! They dont know how to be a mammal!

Yep!

And people that are against it probably didn't see enough of it when they were little.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I don't get why boobs are so taboo on women.

I used to get mine out, and although they would scare small children, it was not illegal.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Yay. It is all good. I did it a few times rather awkwardly. I envy the women who can pop the kid on like it is nothing and even walk around feeding the little one.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Of course. The prudes who are so against it are positively ridiculous. It's a breast. It isn't a sexual organ. Sexually-repressed puritans need to get a life. And frow the guck up.

There are some interesting studies out there that suggest that female breasts are somewhat sexual from a evolutionary standpoint, some reasoning related to the fact that humans tend to copulate face to face and breasts being... available.

This in no way means I think breast feeding in public is somehow wrong, I don't. I just mentioned it because, well, it was interesting. Gotta keep an open mind.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Give me one good reason to be topless in public if you are a woman?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Breasts are multitaskers.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Breastfeeding doesn't work if you try to do it on a schedule (it's a supply/demand system and both change at will and without notice) and a lot of babies hate being covered up. I breastfed both of my kids for about 2 years, it's really no big deal, most of the time people didn't even know what I was doing.

If it makes anyone feel awkward or uncomfortable, I suggest checking in with yourself on what that is all about. Not slamming formula feeding moms at all (I had my share of trouble getting things to work right with my first) but it has life-long health benefits for kids, including a reduced risk of obesity later in life. If you think it's a shameful thing that should not be done in public you are essentially saying "F your child's health, b00bs are only for the entertainment of adult males."

speaking of obesity I was a bottle fed baby and my brother was breastfed. I am the obese one he is the thin one. Coincidence who knows.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    "F your child's health, b00bs are only for the entertainment of adult males."

couldn't agree more! here here!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Yes, babies need to eat, mommies need to get the milk out of their breasts. It happens. It's also good for children and young people to see. It will help them later to nurse their own babies if they've seen it before and asked questions. I don't understand why people are against it. People that are against it probably didn't see enough of it when they were little.

I think it's interesting that there are people in this world that cling to the sexualization of breasts so badly that they can no longer view them for their intended purposes.

Breasts are made for feeding babies. We should be using them thusly.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Give me one good reason to be topless in public if you are a woman?

its hot
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Nothing is more disturbing than the article on the 13yr old kid still breastfeeding. I do not even want to know the weirdness level that scales at.

EDIT*in reply to the parental attachment thing*

In regards to OP, it's whatever, but I was a bottle baby and personally think breastfeeding is weird. Breasts are purely cosmetic to me, but once I have a child, I know that view will change, so I withhold judgment of those that actually do it publicly. My views apply only to me, so if a mother out there breastfeeds, GOOD for her and the kid.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=13yr+old+breastfeeds&src=IE-TopResult&FORM=IE10TR
    AND LET THE CREEPY CONTINUE! This whole search is just... BAAAHH there was an article on this woman who thinks it's totally normal that he kid is 13! anyway, I can't find it, but 'll just leave this here.
This discussion has been closed.