Diet soda

Options

Replies

• JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    It's neutral though and it's annoying how the anti diet soda people (not you but in general) ignore all science and act like it is a deadly toxin. Like most other things moderation is necessary.

I am not anti anything when it comes to foods and drinks. I think you took my comment as against soda, but I was referring to biggsterjackster's comment about why doctors, dentists, and nutritionists say diet soda is not the best choice simply because it is not. Water, by nature is what our body's need making it the best choice.

Yes, our body needs to be hydrated, but no, you do not have to drink plain water to get there.

You can be hydrated through other drinks, your right, but wouldn't you say plain water is the best choice to be hydrated?
    Doesn't that depend on what you're doing? If you're losing electrolytes out of your body from extreme exercise, does just drinking water trump a drink like Gatorade in this scenario?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    It's neutral though and it's annoying how the anti diet soda people (not you but in general) ignore all science and act like it is a deadly toxin. Like most other things moderation is necessary.

I am not anti anything when it comes to foods and drinks. I think you took my comment as against soda, but I was referring to biggsterjackster's comment about why doctors, dentists, and nutritionists say diet soda is not the best choice simply because it is not. Water, by nature is what our body's need making it the best choice.

Yes, our body needs to be hydrated, but no, you do not have to drink plain water to get there.

You can be hydrated through other drinks, your right, but wouldn't you say plain water is the best choice to be hydrated?
    Doesn't that depend on what you're doing? If you're losing electrolytes out of your body from extreme exercise, does just drinking water trump a drink like Gatorade in this scenario?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

To each their own when it comes to exercise, but I personally feel more refreshed drinking water after exercise.

This is how threads get derailed.

The OP was about if diet sodas cause weight gain or muscle loss. Period.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Or what about the fact that it is like 95% water or that my drs and RDs have never said to avoid them.

95% per serving probably. That 5% of artificial sweeteners add up though, depending on how much diet soda you drink. While your doctors and registered dieticians never said to avoid them, I guarantee they will never recommend them either.
    Link some actual evidence for that. I've been drinking diet soda for over 25+ years and haven't experienced that so called health issues claimed by many a "natural" site.
    How many coroners attribute death to an artificial sweetener?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Health issues are dependent on how often a person drinks it. You said you been drinking diet soda for over 25+ years, but how often do you drink it?
    2 cans a day on average. Sometimes 3.
    As for evidence, well...are you looking for health related evidence or death related evidence?
    How about something that not correlated, but an actual evidence based linked study DIRECTLY showing that artificial sweeteners create health issues and death issues in HUMANS?
    I read an interesting article from the Harvard Health Blog that explains artificial sweeteners and their cause and affect: http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/artificial-sweeteners-sugar-free-but-at-what-cost-201207165030
    A blog is not a study though. It's opinion. And it's from an editor, not an actual scientist. Even so, the article is based on MAYBE's. If I ride my bike more than John, I MAYBE have a higher risk of getting hit by a car than him. However if I ride my bike in the middle of the road into oncoming traffic, I'll LIKELY get hit by a car. See the difference?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

To each their own when it comes to exercise, but I personally feel more refreshed drinking water after exercise.

There is a time and place for all drinks. I have a soda in the morning and in the afternoon because i like the taste. And drink 150 oz a water throughout the day (of that 96oz contain MIOs for flavor). So like all things diet and nutrient, its about context.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So in other words, it's YOUR preference that you're using as evidence?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff , I said I like your style, and I still hold to that. :)
  • ElJefePerron
    ElJefePerron Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    http://www.m.webmd.com/diet/features/diet-sodas-and-weight-gain-not-so-fast

Several links to the available studies out there. Personally, I believe moderation is key, and a person's genetic makeup. I find that, when I am eating well, cravings for sugary foods are less.

In terms of CICO, diet sodas don't affect.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Syrup shots? Challenge accepted.

I'll take my syrup in the form of Jagermeister, please.
  • AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Or what about the fact that it is like 95% water or that my drs and RDs have never said to avoid them.

95% per serving probably. That 5% of artificial sweeteners add up though, depending on how much diet soda you drink. While your doctors and registered dieticians never said to avoid them, I guarantee they will never recommend them either.
    Link some actual evidence for that. I've been drinking diet soda for over 25+ years and haven't experienced that so called health issues claimed by many a "natural" site.
    How many coroners attribute death to an artificial sweetener?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Health issues are dependent on how often a person drinks it. You said you been drinking diet soda for over 25+ years, but how often do you drink it?
    2 cans a day on average. Sometimes 3.
    As for evidence, well...are you looking for health related evidence or death related evidence?
    How about something that not correlated, but an actual evidence based linked study DIRECTLY showing that artificial sweeteners create health issues and death issues in HUMANS?
    I read an interesting article from the Harvard Health Blog that explains artificial sweeteners and their cause and affect: http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/artificial-sweeteners-sugar-free-but-at-what-cost-201207165030
    A blog is not a study though. It's opinion. And it's from an editor, not an actual scientist. Even so, the article is based on MAYBE's. If I ride my bike more than John, I MAYBE have a higher risk of getting hit by a car than him. However if I ride my bike in the middle of the road into oncoming traffic, I'll LIKELY get hit by a car. See the difference?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I really don't want to turn this in to a debate thread, especially after the original poster's answer has been concluded. I just want you to know that I am not against soda and I do believe in moderation is key to success when it comes to a diet/lifestyle change. It's unlikely that whatever link I post will persuade you to discontinue drinking soda if you having been drinking 2 cans (sometimes 3) a day for the past 25 years. You like drinking diet soda simply because you like the taste, I understand. Just so you know, that link I sent wasn't supposed to be evidence I just wanted to show you what I read about artificial sweeteners.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Dude, you're arguing with someone that had to ask what would happen if someone were to have an all carb diet.
  • AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Dude, you're arguing with someone that had to ask what would happen if someone were to have an all carb diet.

It was an honest question I asked though, I really didn't know what would happen to the body if all I ate was carbs.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My actual evidence is that I have bad side effects when I eat or drink anything with artificial sweeteners like aspartame etc. But that probably doesn't count as health issues.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    My actual evidence is that I have bad side effects when I eat or drink anything with artificial sweeteners like aspartame etc. But that probably doesn't count as health issues.

So you should avoid it but there are tons and tons that don't so they don't need to avoid it
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    @biggsterjackster I have very bad side effects from foods with more than 2g of fiber so I guess it's horrible for everyone (no it's not, it's bad for me. Like artificial sweeteners fiber is fine for most people)
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    @biggsterjackster I have very bad side effects from foods with more than 2g of fiber so I guess it's horrible for everyone (no it's not, it's bad for me. Like artificial sweeteners fiber is fine for most people)

Absolutely agree, it's only bad for me, not for everyone.
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda and my weight loss has been just fine
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I dont drink it in moderation tho. I drink it all the time and i only drink water during workouts.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »
    I dont drink it in moderation tho. I drink it all the time and i only drink water during workouts.

I do pretty much the same here (I'll occasionally drink flavored water when not working out) and I've lost over 80 lbs since July. It does not prevent fat or weight loss and does not cause muscle loss. If you have zero medical issues with it, like the fact that it seems to cause migraines for some people, feel free to continue drinking it. It won't prevent you from losing weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »

As long as you dont get dehydrated or anything, i am not sure there would be an issue. Adequate protein is what is needed to maintain muscle mass. And a deficit is needed for weight loss. Just account for the calories. At 20oz they have 10 calories.