Options
123457»

Replies

• veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    healthy491 wrote: »
    Do diet sodas make you gain weight or gain fat/reduce muscle? As I drink A LOT of diet pepsi.

Just curious OP, as to why you think this might be the case? Diet soda has less than 10 calories. How could it make you gain weight/gain fat/reduce muscle? Since you are already drinking diet pepsi, you wouldn't likely see any impact from continued consumption, but for people who are drinking calorific beverages then switching to diet soda can make a big difference in HELPING weight loss, as long as you aren't replacing those calories elsewhere.

Based on some of OP's previous posts, I'm not certain that she fully understands CICO given that she has posted concerning threads about the potential to gain weight when she is clearly still in at least a weekly deficit.

OP, I do not mean this as a judgment at all. I think you should probably read all the stickies here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest

Those may help you with understanding CICO better so you have less anxiety about how much you're eating.
  • rokitkafamily
    rokitkafamily Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »
    Cchioles wrote: »
    If You Could Steer Clear Of Sodas, Youd Be Helping Yourself Out Immensely... With That's Said, It About Moderation.. One A Day Shouldn't Hurt You, It When Your Drinking Three, Four, Five A Day That It Might Become A Problem.. Water Is Your Best Friend :)

I hate water though :/ and why is soda bad ?

Have you tried adding MIO to your water? That helps me drink more, but I'm not sure if Mio is better or worse than diet soda.
  • jarablue
    jarablue Posts: 127 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I wonder how those MIO like water flavor enhancers are viewed? They have kool aid, MIO and a ton of different ones on the market. I don't think hardly any research has been done into those water flavor enhancers to see if there is any impact on the body.

Tell you what though. Carbonated water and grape kool aid water enhancer keeps me full throughout the day. It being 0 calories, I do wonder what the long term use of it is doing to me.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    jarablue wrote: »
    I wonder how those MIO like water flavor enhancers are viewed? They have kool aid, MIO and a ton of different ones on the market. I don't think hardly any research has been done into those water flavor enhancers to see if there is any impact on the body.

Tell you what though. Carbonated water and grape kool aid water enhancer keeps me full throughout the day. It being 0 calories, I do wonder what the long term use of it is doing to me.

Oh that is genius. i may have to try that.. Also, sunkiss makes good water enhances too if you like orange, grape or strawberry soda.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    jarablue wrote: »

The water flavor enhancers usually use sucralose and acesulfame potassium as sweeteners, both of which have been studied in depth and determined safe. MiO has propylene glycol in it, which has been used in pharmaceutical applications for a very, very long time. People will claim it isn't safe because it's in antifreeze and whatnot, but there's different formulations. They're not putting industrial-grade propylene glycol in our food. It gives me wicked headaches though, so I don't use MiO.

If anyone is interested, here's a review of the common sweeteners. It explains how our bodies process them and details how they were determined safe. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1541-4337.2006.tb00081.x/epdf
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    It's neutral though and it's annoying how the anti diet soda people (not you but in general) ignore all science and act like it is a deadly toxin. Like most other things moderation is necessary.

I am not anti anything when it comes to foods and drinks. I think you took my comment as against soda, but I was referring to biggsterjackster's comment about why doctors, dentists, and nutritionists say diet soda is not the best choice simply because it is not. Water, by nature is what our body's need making it the best choice.

Yes, our body needs to be hydrated, but no, you do not have to drink plain water to get there.

You can be hydrated through other drinks, your right, but wouldn't you say plain water is the best choice to be hydrated?
    Doesn't that depend on what you're doing? If you're losing electrolytes out of your body from extreme exercise, does just drinking water trump a drink like Gatorade in this scenario?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    It's neutral though and it's annoying how the anti diet soda people (not you but in general) ignore all science and act like it is a deadly toxin. Like most other things moderation is necessary.

I am not anti anything when it comes to foods and drinks. I think you took my comment as against soda, but I was referring to biggsterjackster's comment about why doctors, dentists, and nutritionists say diet soda is not the best choice simply because it is not. Water, by nature is what our body's need making it the best choice.

Yes, our body needs to be hydrated, but no, you do not have to drink plain water to get there.

You can be hydrated through other drinks, your right, but wouldn't you say plain water is the best choice to be hydrated?
    Doesn't that depend on what you're doing? If you're losing electrolytes out of your body from extreme exercise, does just drinking water trump a drink like Gatorade in this scenario?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

To each their own when it comes to exercise, but I personally feel more refreshed drinking water after exercise.
    So in other words, it's YOUR preference that you're using as evidence?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Dude, you're arguing with someone that had to ask what would happen if someone were to have an all carb diet.

It was an honest question I asked though, I really didn't know what would happen to the body if all I ate was carbs.

Yes, which is pretty much exactly my point.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Milk is food.

Beautiful, delicious food.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Syrup shots? Challenge accepted.

tumblr_lltngr3C1L1qks2mco1_250.gif