Zimmerman vs. Martin

Options

Replies

• RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    What I've learned from this thread is how easily people forget what it was like to be 17.

That is very sad.

I wasn't committing battery on people getting back into their cars at 17.

That's only if you believe the truly silly story of the defense, the guy who is trying to save his own butt. His story is a fabrication, a stretching of truth and facts. I'm pretty sure if the kid wasn't murdered we would hear a completely different witness testimony. I really hope the jury sees through it.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I'm sure several people have echoed my thoughts so I'll just say:

I hope Zimmerman walks.

me2
    & he will.

I'm just worried about what will happen to him...and the riots that are will be started when he is found not guilty.

Zimmerman's attorney stated two nights ago while interviewing that his client will never be safe. He also stated that he will never live a normal life. He will fall off the face of the earth just like Casey.

He won't be. And he can thank the media, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and Obama for that.

^^ this is Obama's fault too ? Oy
    No it's Bushes fault, everything is his fault, at least for the past 12 or so years hasn't anyone learned that yet.....SHEESH! :laugh:
  • ddxm
    ddxm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    so it's completely acceptable to stalk a kid, force a confrontation, then resort to deadly force?
    In Florida it is.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    What I've learned from this thread is how easily people forget what it was like to be 17.

That is very sad.

Being 17 doesn't make it OK to commit crimes and attack people
  • kiwidrop
    kiwidrop Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've been keeping up on the news, trial, and commentary, and there was no way to avoid ignorant people from going negative on this post. I always discouraged to see the blatant racism that still exists. Off my pedestal and on to my actual point.

We are 20 years past the riots after Rodney King! I just don't think that is going to happen if Zimmerman is found innocent. Granted, people will be mad, but I don't think we'll be reduced to rioting and destroying our own neighborhoods again. I'm just so tired of seeing these comments saying black people are going to riot. Saying all that, I hope this jury can see through the trash and find Zimmerman guilty....at least of manslaughter, if not 2nd degree.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I have a 18 year old son. If someone was following him and approached him I would expect him to defend himself. I also know if it was my son he shot there would be no safe place on the planet for him. I wouldn't need the courts to solve this issue. It is a simple blood feud. Blood for blood.

YES Mercutio! Loose the hounds and sharpen thy blades for TONIGHT THERE WILL BE BLOOD!

Please join us in the 21st Century...
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Tighter gun laws will not affect the thugs that carry guns, only citizens trying to protect their homes. Homeowners will be the first ones to give in, but a thug is NOT going to give up his guns.
  • kevinII
    kevinII Posts: 2
    Options
    in fact, the zimmerman supporters are praying for a race war, because they want to see more black kids shot down in the street. There, offensive enough for you? Get this crap off of this fitness website.
  • kelleygi
    kelleygi Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I'm just fascinated by how many people are ignoring the fact that it was Martin who attacked Zimmerman while he was getting BACK in his car and the growing amount of evidence and testimonies from the police and reports that support Zimmerman's story. :noway:
    Facts are facts.

This! I have been watching/listening to this case since it started. Facts are facts and people need to KNOW the facts before they go overboard with there opinions. It can only make you look ignorant when you start spouting off things that are not true! Like GZ being told to "stand down" by an officer. Never happened. Was talking to a civilian and was told, 'You don't have to do that"

I must be the only one who hasn't heard GZ was getting back in his car. Like I said in another post, I haven't been following closely and only read bits and pieces here and there. The last thing I heard was that he followed TM, but that was some time ago.

Honestly though, why does it matter whether GZ was told "you don't have to do that" by the 911 operator or law enforcement? I understand it's not a direct order from a person of authority and all that but I just don't understand the rationale of saying it was just a civiian or it wasn't a cop or whatever... especially in a situation such as this (one that could escalate). 911 operators tell people what to do all the time in an effort to keep parties involved safe. They are trained to do so, so why is their "authority" or advice any less valid in this situation?

I am in a VOLUNTEER emergency response team. I am very observant will CERTAINLY follow someone I feel is suspicous. And NORMALLY a 911 operator IS going to be asking you tons of questions about what this person looks like, is wearing, where he/she is going, etc.... AND I have an 18 year old boy who if being followed by someone, I would tell to CALL THE POLICE!!! NOT ATTACK!!! Granted, I believe if more talking and less wrestling and fighting had been going on this whole tragedy could have been avoided. And I DO believe it is a tragedy ALL THE WAY AROUND. But the media RACE BAITING everything is REALLY GETTING OLD AND VERY DANGEROUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    No it's Bushes fault, everything is his fault, at least for the past 12 or so years hasn't anyone learned that yet.....SHEESH! :laugh:

both sides of the political fence are extremely and equally hypocritical.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    What really bugs me out about passionate Zimmerman supporters is that they are so quick to label a child as a thug, someone who was doing drugs etc etc... Because when they were children themselves they were ANGELS.. they never experimented with drugs, got straight A's in school, never fought anyone, never stole anything.. just complete Angels.

I never did any of the above that you mentioned and I am sure there are a lot of people out there who haven't either.

I don't see it being about race. Maybe it is, I really don't know because I have NO opinion on the case or the trial as I stated a bunch of pages back because I couldn't care less.

Honestly who cares? The media has made this into one of the top stories out there but . . . who cares? I certainly don't. There are a lot more pressing things out there to worry about and report on.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Third, this was a 6', 17 year old young man. Martin was hardly a 'child'. He was the one who came at Zimmerman first. He was beating the crap out of Zimmerman, the police photos and medical documents prove that.

Fourth, sorry but it was self-defense.

Size isn't the issue. Age is. Seventeen is a child. How mature were you at that age? I am the mother of an 18-year-old college student. I know her friends. They are still children.

As for self-defense/stand your ground, considering that Zimmerman was following Trayvon, couldn't the prosecution make a case that TRAYVON was standing his ground? Zimmerman is responsible by his actions for what happened. Now someone is dead. Had he at the very least remained in his vehicle, this would not have happened.

No because you can't stand your ground against someone walking behind you. Someone walking isn't a threat to your life. Beating your head into the ground is. You should really read up on laws.
    He wasn't just "walking behind" Martin. He followed him first in a vehicle and then on foot.

That's called stalking. Clearly Martin felt threatened.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I've been keeping up on the news, trial, and commentary, and there was no way to avoid ignorant people from going negative on this post. I always discouraged to see the blatant racism that still exists. Off my pedestal and on to my actual point.

We are 20 years past the riots after Rodney King! I just don't think that is going to happen if Zimmerman is found innocent. Granted, people will be mad, but I don't think we'll be reduced to rioting and destroying our own neighborhoods again. I'm just so tired of seeing these comments saying black people are going to riot. Saying all that, I hope this jury can see through the trash and find Zimmerman guilty....at least of manslaughter, if not 2nd degree.

You're being VERY optimistic. I hope you're right, and everyone will behave better if he's found not guilty, but eh, I don't have much hope in man/womankind. I hate to say it, but I fear there will be rioting, both by black AND white people. Maybe even some purple people too
  • Stronger_Diva
    Stronger_Diva Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    From what I read, the gun shot wound was in his front, but he was found on his stomach, implying that he was shot while ON TOP of Zimmerman. So to me, that would seem like self-defense.

Ah, but that would never have been necessary at all had Zimmerman not been following Martin, would it? Why did he get out of the car?

Say you're a 17-year-old kid (and he WAS a kid!) minding your own business and some 30-something guy is following you around. What do you do? You're not at an age to be rational and call the police. And even if you do, how long before the police get there? He didn't know who Zimmerman was or why the guy was following him. Zimmerman acted stupidly. I don't believe he set out to kill anyone, which is why I think he's been overcharged. But he is responsible for what happened. His actions led directly to Martin's death.

Absolutely agree.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Zimmerman stalked a boy, had malice and hate in his heart, and shot him.

And you know this how? I never heard any evidence to support this...

The police tape is evidence. These bleeping punks. They always get away. He was told not to pursue. He got out and pursued.

It's pretty clear where his heart and mind were at the time. He had much hate for the kid. I'm not saying what kind of hate, people may assume which kind. But it was clear he had malice and hate in his heart.

That's a stretch to support your opinion. For you to assume to know someone else's heart & mind at any given moment is arrogant at best. No one knows anything going on in anybody else's mind.

It's not arrogance on my part, it's Zimmerman's words. Listen to his words and what he said that night. I'm not assuming anything, I'm listening to the tape objectively. I don't claim to know everything in his mind, I don't know if he's a racist or hates kids or what, but his language and actions said he had hate and malice aforethought.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options

That is very sad.

I wasn't committing battery on people getting back into their cars at 17.

That's only if you believe the truly silly story of the defense, the guy who is trying to save his own butt. His story is a fabrication, a stretching of truth and facts. I'm pretty sure if the kid wasn't murdered we would hear a completely different witness testimony. I really hope the jury sees through it.

Well that's true my friend. I guess we should all just accept TM's girlfriend's testimony as gospel seeing as she "heard wet grass"...
  • ohnstadk
    ohnstadk Posts: 143 Member
    Options

That is very sad.

At 22 I remember distinctly what it was like at 17 - I had already graduated high school, got full time job, and moved out of my parents house. I was paying for everything myself. 17 year olds are a lot smarter, older, and mature then you and many other people on this post are giving them credit for. I knew how to talk to people, and I can assure you that had I been confronted by neighborhood security I would have been as respectful as I am now at 22. At 17 I was not a legal adult, but I certainly was not a child. Everything I did was something you would expect an adult to do. Now obviously people mature differently, but at 17 you are a year (if even that) from having the option to make any and all decisions yourself without parental guidance. To me that suggests that you are probably ready at 17, and the last year is a grace period, a trial if you will before you are fully on your own.

Please don't act like someone is innocent just because they are 17.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    What really bugs me out about passionate Zimmerman supporters is that they are so quick to label a child as a thug, someone who was doing drugs etc etc... Because when they were children themselves they were ANGELS.. they never experimented with drugs, got straight A's in school, never fought anyone, never stole anything.. just complete Angels.

I never did any of the above that you mentioned and I am sure there are a lot of people out there who haven't either.

I don't see it being about race. Maybe it is, I really don't know because I have NO opinion on the case or the trial as I stated a bunch of pages back because I couldn't care less.

Honestly who cares? The media has made this into one of the top stories out there but . . . who cares? I certainly don't. There are a lot more pressing things out there to worry about and report on.

I never stole, tried drugs, and never got into a fight in high school. I didn't get straight A's either, but never did any of those other things.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    in fact, the zimmerman supporters are praying for a race war, because they want to see more black kids shot down in the street. There, offensive enough for you? Get this crap off of this fitness website.

can you read? this is the chit chat section?

are you posting this in all the "lick the person above threads" too? i bet not.
  • UnwrappingCandy
    UnwrappingCandy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Zimmerman will be going home because he's not guilty of second degree murder. Had he been charged with involuntary manslaughter or maybe even voluntary manslaughter I believe he'd be convicted, but he's definitely going home after this.

I can only hope that the US stops having TV trials before legal ones. Had it not been for the media he may have been charged appropriately, but once everyone got their knickers twisted it was probably thought that anything less than a murder charge would cause civil unrest.