WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

My name is Karen, and I live in Virginia. I saw in an earlier post that you already have someone named Karen in VA, so call me KarenE. I'd love to join your group, you all seem so supportive and you're dealing with things that resonate with me.

So, a little intro. I'm 56 years old, have kids and grandkids. I like to garden (bet you guessed that!), but can't for a couple more months while I heal from surgery. I also like hiking, swimming and being active. I also like to cook...and eat.

I currently weigh 230 lbs, would like to lose 50 more. My goals for July are to walk more than 6500 steps everyday, log everyday, and stay under my net calorie goals 25/31 days. We're going on vacation, so I'm giving myself a little room... I'll certainly make my goals today, so that's a start!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @ilikegardens KarenE Where in Virginia do you live? I am from Richmond. Welcome to a really supportive group!

Karen in Virginia
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    Z
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    barbie getting there mile by mile.... You go!! before you know it you will be home surrounded by all you love and you can marvel at how strong you are!

Welcome KarenE another Karen is always a good thing. Stick with this great group of strong women. It works!
    NYKAREN
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Barbie, thank you so much for getting us going again, especially since you have other things going on in your life. You are amazing. How is Jake? Is he still in lots of pain? I know I was at this point after my surgery and I was actually afraid of going home, as much as I wanted out of the hospital. Sending the best thoughts your way. (((Hugs)))

Katla, that was a good one about a “fat bomb”. I don’t know what it is either but I do admit I put yummy cinnamon rolls in that classification. sheepish-smile-smiley-emoticon.gif

Irish Terri, it is wonderful that you have reached your goal and gone on maintenance!!! I want to be where you are!!!!! I’m so happy for you. Life is good. Have a wonderful holiday!!!

Heather, glad you had a good time with the grands, oh and their parents, too. Hope you enjoy your meeting with friends and have a pleasant trip home.

Lisa, I know it was sad leaving Daisy at the ranch but like you said, it’s probably best for her. You’re a good “Mommy” to put your girl’s needs first. Congrats on weighing less. Way to go. I’d be a little pi##ed at the folks at the ranch too but nothing surprised me any longer.

Expiggy, welcome. Yes, the diets only work on the short term but this lifestyle change is for the rest of our lives. This is a great place for support and information so come often. Please sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific.

Kay, you know we are all with you and thinking of you during your surgery. ((((Hugs))))

CarolGA, I am so proud of you for doing all that painting. It’s not easy when we get a little older.

Katla, your concert sounds like fun. Did you have a beer in the beet garden? I sure would have.

Pip, congrats on a great month!!! You are the bomb!!!

Tracie, you enjoy that well-earned vacation!! I do hope your DH will take you fishing. We lived in Milwaukee for 10 years and never made it to northern Wisconsin. All our vacations were spent going South to visit family. I always heard it was beautiful.
    Heather, so sorry your DS has not been able to close on his house. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for them. good-luck-smiley-emoticon.gif

Kay, my problems is I love my meat and my carbs. I just love food which makes this journey a bit more challenging. Sorry your body fat hadn’t gone down.

Re, have you entered your crock pot recipes to get the calories for each? They sound good but not so low calorie. Lol And OMG that potato soup!!!! Did you not ever think it might be high in calories??? ROFLMAO

Heather, what a lovely picture of the beautiful you and two cute kids. Glad you got to meet up with them.

Barbie, so glad Jake was discharged and you are headed home. Safe travels.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I had terrible leg cramps most of the night last night. My “Leg Cramp” pills have always worked for me but not this time. Needless to say I didn’t get a good night’s rest. That happened last week after line dancing also. I wonder if we are doing a specific dance (or steps) that cause it? Who knows, but it hurts!!! This afternoon I made my bran muffins that I eat for breakfast each day. I’ve been tweaking them with oatmeal rather than oat bran for part of it and some sour cream thrown in. I also baked a couple of chicken breasts to have on my salads at lunch. I had planned to go to the gym today but didn’t go after such a fitful night’s sleep. I’ll go tomorrow instead. I hope you all have a fantastic July this year. Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day! rainbow-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    KetoneKaren, do you use the shakes as meal replacement, snack, part of a meal?

I'll get some and try them. Thanks for the recommendation.
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you all for the welcome!
    Karen in Virginia, I live outside of Charlottesville.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) We are on the ferry :) The decision to discharge Jake was sudden. I thought nothing would happen till after lunch so I was off on a walk away from the hospital when Jake called to say we could leave. I had to move really fast to get us packed and out of the hotel room in time to not get charged for another night. The driving in Seattle wasn't bad and I-5 wasn't bad till I missed the exit and had to use GPS to get us to the ferry. The wait at the ferry wasn't too long but I'm parked too close to the wall and Jake can't get out to use the bathroom. I'll stop at a Gas Station when we get off the ferry. I'll pick up the pets in the morning

Thank you for all your love and support

<3 Barbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington

Great job Barbie! We all knew you could do it! Hope the rest of the recuperation goes well!

Cheri
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Lenora thanks for reminder but that was MFP staff posting for me trying to figure out why I can't post more than a few lines.

MFP says it's the emojis that's been my problem...how can that be when so many of you use action emojis with no problem?

I'm going to try your collective patience one more time and see if I can post my complete goals and then I'll read all the new posts.

June Goals
    Hatha Yoga...25 min 6/wk
    Stretch ...15 min 1/wk
    Free weights...15 min 6/wk
    Core...5 min 6/wk...upped to 15 min
    Meditation....5 min 3/wk... Still not
    Continue logging all food
    Drink at least 4 glasses of water/day
    Keep increasing steps
    Weight loss goal...1#/wk...lost 7#s
    Be mindful of sodium...

July Goals

Same goals as June: meditate, meditate, core increased to 15 min/6/wk
    Weight loss 1#/wk
    Plus daily Duolingo Italian each day, sleep more!

Yea it worked!!!!

GLo on the North Shore of Ma where it is very dry but I'm happy I can post once again.

• pipcd34
    Options
    Y
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    *giggles*

Lenora - I will always use your name, Dear... I can't quite get behind calling such a lovely person "Grits." :]

I was just shocked by how I had previously slurped down that soup two, sometimes even three bowls at a time without even thinking about it.

Kim - the recipe could certainly be tweaked... I could use powdered non-fat milk and various other things - heaven knows if I get down to a much lower weight and have to reduce my caloric intake, dramatically, I may resort to that... but for now, I am just going to limit myself to one bowl, with the works - and some pre-planning so I don't go over my admittedly generous calorie allotment. If anything, I would drop the bread & butter, first... then the extra cheese... only in desperation would I ever change the soup recipe.

I find that I am MUCH more satisfied if I eat a smaller portion of the thing that I am hungry for. If I try to substitute, I just end up later looking for something else to eat to fill the original craving. I think that, barring some massive change in my personality, I would prefer to just eat one cup of the Cheesy, cream-rich original soup, than two bowls of some alternative, low fat, low cal version. If there is nothing else I have learned in 40 yrs of dieting, I have learned that sometimes less - of the real thing - is far better than more of something else, at least for me. I was just lamenting the years that I ate bowl after bowl, oblivious to how very bad for me it was.

I thought I had already sent those recipe's to you - but, check your MFP inbox. I will go ahead and send them now... Fair warning, though, you will probably want to tweak them all, since I am not overly concerned with fat or sodium, right now. We will see what my blood work says in another couple of weeks... I may sing a different tune, then.

Pip - so glad I could give you a chuckle. :]

Michele - I already have the Goodwill pile building... I just have to finish going through my clothes so I can get rid of a bunch of them. I may see if anyone I know round these parts could use them... after all, I am wearing clothes I got from a friend... I guess I should pay it forward.

Marcelyn - I love a good Mexican casserole too. I do not look forward to finding out what the calorie count on a serving of that looks like, either. :/

KJ - ((hugs)) - can't wait to hear if your Daughter is preggers... I hope you get some quality time with your Sis.

Katla - riding and boating in one weekend... I am jealous! Enjoy it.

Rori - no worries on trying the ice cream... just so long as you didn't try a quart of the stuff, you are probably all right. Enjoy it - and log, log log...

DJ - the crockpot recipe's aren't TOO bad - most of them aren't cream based and you use lean meats in all of them, so, they are fairly "ok" for calories. Remember - each pot is two meals at my house. And I really have to give myself a big ol' forehead smack on the soup... *sighs* Clearly, I wasn't thinking, was I?

Melonie - way to go on the walking - and definitely a good idea to skip the fast food. That stuff makes my soup look like health food! :]

Kay - all I can say on the protein is to go into the pharmacy section of any store and start reading labels... Fat and protein often do go together, alas - so, you may need to just accept the fact that if you are eating more protein, there will be a bit more fat... and too funny about having them move your surgery to the afternoon... you go, Girl!

Heather - hope your binge is over... I know sometimes certain places, or people we know are triggers for bad behavior... I quit smoking a lot of years ago... but, I still can't walk into a bar without wanting a cigarette... you may have just experienced something like that today. You will get past it... and you look FABULOUS.

Joyce - I knew it wasn't exactly diet food, I just had no idea how very NOT diet it was... lol. Sorry the nurse is AWOL.

Barbie - it will be nice to have Jake home... Have a marvelous weekend! Is he doing well? Hope so!

KarenE - Flowers? Vegetables? Or all of the above? Welcome! You have found a great place for support.

Linda - my MIL was a much nicer person once she got dementia. I hope you enjoy your visit and safe travels home.

Irish Terri - GRATZ on being normal... I was so excited to see that my BMI had dropped out of "morbidly" obese and just into Obese... I can hardly even imagine "Normal." You rock!

Lisa - sorry you have to leave your dog at the ranch - but it probably will be best. And my bad word quota would be used up, too... I don't think they can SAY he was terminated on the 30th if he worked for them until the 5th. I am FAIRLY sure that is... er... illegal in most states. I do hope that after that, he won't actually consider the contract work. Honestly - they don't deserve him.

Expiggy - I am going with Lauren, too. Welcome!

Allie - 4am walking? I suppose you have to get it done whenever you have the time - but, I am so much a night person... the only time I am ever up at 4 or anywhere near it, is if I haven't been to sleep, yet.

Carol - hard work indeed... have you thought about selling it, once you get it all spruced up? Or are you going to rent it out, again?

Rose - hi! Welcome back.

GLo. - YAY - glad you are able to post.

Frieda - Thanks, Sugar. I did feel a little like Miss America in those pants.

Margaret - now your monthly goal I can get behind... perhaps I will make one, after all...

Tracie - enjoy your vacation. Those are the kind I love the very best... the sheer freedom... Hope you get to go fishing. Do you eat what you catch? Fly fishing? or good old fashioned worms?

*Waves to Betty, Janet, Charleen, Karen in VA, NYKaren, Mary, LilyMay, RWalker, Cheri,

You Ladies will be happy to know... I did bag up the Almond M&M's into 1.5 oz servings. Well, except for the last odd .9 oz - which I threw in with my treat last night... I logged every delicious tenth of an oz of the chocolaty, nutty goodness - and while I did eat half of my exercise calories - I did not eat them all.

A lot of this whole "eating like a normal person" experience is greatly eased by some preparation. Bagging up those M&M's means I am much more likely to stop at one serving. It's not guaranteed, of course - but it is a whole lot more likely than me stopping with an open bag sitting next to me on the couch where I have previously had the experience of eating "just one more" until the bag was empty. Had to log that one... it wasn't pretty. Thank goodness I had exercised that day, is all I can say about it.

You are all so good - setting monthly goals for yourself. I suppose my only real goal for the month is to keep logging, and to try to keep the calories in below the calories burned. But, I am trying not to put too much pressure on myself.

I am not going to put any number of pounds to lose down - as I am just going to log, move and have faith that doing the right thing will take me in the right direction. Heck, if I lost a pants size (plus) after only 11 pounds, I hardly know what might happen at 25... but, I can't wait to find out.

Hugs all round!

Re in TX

• melaniemetoyer
    melaniemetoyer Posts: 50 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Ha ha, Re in Tx-That's funny you should mention soup...I sometimes enjoy a "cream" of chicken soup, my problem is the tbsp. of butter I have to add to it, mention the 7-8 crackers. It's 7:30PM here in Baton Rouge (about an hour before bedtime) and I've met my caloric allotment for the day, BUT, of course I'm still hungry. While I have enough willpower NOT to eat anything else (just grab a bottle of water, (it certainly can't hurt, or can it) ;) ) I'm finding more often than not, that I'm still hungry. Since I'm relatively new the MFP, it appears a thorough analysis
    of WHAT I'm eating is needed. I am logging everything, so perhaps I'm not eating the "right'" stuff. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

~Melanie~
    Baton Rouge
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    Happy July ladies: Went to see wellness coach this morning. She is pleased with progress I have made since doing PT for my knee. My last PT appointment for the knee was yesterday. Back now to water exercise twice a week and gym once a week. We changed the exercises in the gym to duplicate what I was doing at PT. I think this will be good. I see her again in four weeks.

We got two barn kitties last week but one escaped from our enclosure after just three days. We still have Lucy the girl kitty. However I think we may still have Linus too but he is hiding out someplace on the property. We have been putting food out for him and it has disappeared the last two nights and we have had dead rats left in the horse shelter for the last two days. Can't say I am real fond of the rat presents but it seems to be an indication he is still around.

I am looking forward to meeting Rori tomorrow in Woodinville.

Barbie - Glad you were able to get out of Seattle without too many problems. I am sure you will really enjoy being home. Thanks for getting us started even though you were at the hospital.

DJ - Do you stay on your toes alot when you are dancing? That can cause leg cramps.

Lisa - Sounds like your DH is well out of there.

KJL - Glad things have worked out so you have more time with your sis.

Katla - Yeah for you getting in a horseback ride before sailing. Sounds like an awesome weekend.

"The key is to keep company with people who uplift you, whose presence calls forth your best." - Epictetus
    You ladies all qualify!!! Sue in WA
  • pipcd34
    Options
    back to normal - stats for the day:
    riide hm 2 gym- 11.04min, 13.9amph, 140mhr, 2.5mi = 120c
    jog- 39.37min, 9.54ap, 6.0-6.2sp, 135ahr, 159mhr, 4mi = 385c
    ride gym 2 done- 5.45min, 11.3amph, 145mhr, 1mi = 61c
    ride dome 2 hm- 20.09min, 7.8amph, 153mhr, 2.6mi = 192c
    total cal 758

i felt guilty taking the train home, lololol AND it felt funny doing something else at the gym instead of spinning
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    My body fat percentage was the same when I got measured this morning. I was a little bummed. The guy who did it told me I had to up my protein. So, using his suggested numbers, I changed my MFP settings to 40-30-30. My one July goal is going to be to focus on protein and get close to my new percentages. Wish me luck. I won't go so far as to say I hate meat, but I will say I love my carbs. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Mine is 50 P, 30 F, 20 C. I try to keep as close to that as possible.

Oh, my! No way, no how. What does a typical day look like?

I am struggling with 30% protein. I have logged everything I plan to eat today, actually eaten it all except for supper and I have 40% carbs, 35% fat and 25% protein. I can tell this is going to be a learning curve for me. All of my protein choices also added fat! Part of my problem is that we are having our one night a week sirloin steak and my salad dressing is not low fat either. Also I had leftover rotisserie chicken and I made a salad out of it, grapes, pecans, celery, onions and low-fat mayo. It would have been a better choice to just eat a piece of the chicken, another piece of it for supper, skip the steak and find a different salad dressing, but I couldn't do it. I'm proud of myself for skipping the baked potato and not eating my exercise calories.

Thanks for the suggestions. I do eat Greek yogurt and Ezekiel bread (but never just half a piece).

I've known for a while that I needed to revamp my eating more than I already have. Ugh!

Edited to add: I'd also like suggestions on a good protein powder. I've been using Aria for women and I like it, but maybe I need more grams of protein. I thought I read somewhere that I should limit myself to one protein bar or shake per day. Is this true?

Kay,
    I use Premier Protein Powder, it has 30 gr of protein per serving. I need to insert here that I've had gastric bypass surgery and therefore the strict percentages. I always have a protein shake for breakfast, then sometimes one for lunch along with a low fat cheese stick or something. I limit protein bars to one a day due to high sugar and fat content.I also will have left over chicken, fish, etc from dinner the night before. I'll put them on salad greens for a salad. For dinner I do have a lot of chicken, fish and lean pork. I probably have steak or other red meat once a week too. My dietician stresses keeping the carbs in range rather than the fats. The goal of couse is to keep it as close as possible to the range. I don't eat back exercise calories normally either and I do tend to go over the carb limit on my weight work out days. I do limit fruit to once a day, but normally don't even have it that often.

Again I stress I've had bariatric surgery. That much protein is definitely a challenge.

Janetr okc
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Barbie, so glad you are carefully on your way home. I know you will be glad to be in your own home with your fur family.

Pip, you are our champion on getting that amount of miles last month and I am sure that running 700 miles would not be your goal this month.

I tried calling the ostomy nurse again this afternoon just to make sure that maybe she wasn't able to answer the phone. I guess they are taking a 4 day weekend. Pretty nice for them. I have counted out our free bags and we have enough to last even if I have to change twice a day. But the bag I put on last night at midnight is still on. The adhesive around the thick barrier is loose but I took a q-tip and stuck it in and didn't find any poo so I guess it is on so I reinforced it with more tape.

Watching the Olympic trials. I can't remember us having that many trials on TV. I hope I am not insulting anyone but I am tired of Michael Phelps. I am glad that he finally decided to get into rehab and get his life together, his baby is precious but I am tired of the hype NBC has about him. OK, I'm done with that. I am sorry that the gymnastics trials are over, I really enjoyed them. Just remembered, the women (girls) have theirs this weekend. It was a competition they had this past weekend.

We are trying to decide whether or not to buy fireworks at Sam's. There is a lot of rain for this weekend and we may not be able to put them off. It is to busy downtown to try to go down there. We used to go to the hospital we used to work at. The parking lot has a wonderful viewpoint of thr fireworks but to many people found it out. After they were over, you were already home while some people downtown were still walking to their car. You just didn't get to see the finale.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thursdays' procedure went well!!! Both Gastroenterology and Interventional Radioology were able to work together and put a stent in the biliary tract. It was a rough night last night, fever, and stomach really hurting, but it was from all their internal poking and prodding. They will be checking in 4 wks and performing another ERCP where they put a wire down the throat. Now that the blasted blockage has the stent, it should be easier just getting down to that area. Drove home, and ate a huge @$$ burrito, (sorry for the swearing, but it was soo good). Nice to have husband home! Son and him are like chipmunks chattering in the living room. :-)
    Becca
    getting back to normal
    Paying bills in
    Oregon
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies!

Barbie ... Thanks for keeping us going. Glad to hear you and Jake are heading home.

Margaret ... Your goal is lovely and just right for you.

Lisa ... Sorry you had to leave Daisy ...

Expiggy ... Welcome "Lauren!"

Re ... Your potato soup story is too funny!

KJ ... Sad but interesting where the mind goes during tragic illness ... If you are spiritual and believe in eternity/afterlife ...Hard to say what she's "seeing." Hugs to you.

June goals were to be lighter. I lost 2 pounds.

July goals:
    Be lighter
    Use the pool every good weather day we have (finally have functioning heater and spa after two years of trouble)
    One bucket of weeds pulled each night.

Beth near Buffalo

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    Becca ... You asked about stress relievers .... Mowing the grass soothes me! As for going outside my comfort zone ... I'm generally anxious so just about everything!! :smiley:

Beth
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Oh, Beth, for me I would like to have a goal of NOT picking a bucket of weeds a day. I have done so much weeding already!!! Where do they all come from?
    And after spending most of our spare time working in the yard we went to visit a house that was professionally landscaped and it made us feel like we had done absolutely nothing with our yard in the years we have lived here...
    Glad the hubbies seem to be doing better!
    Went over on calories today--tried out a new taco joint and could not resist that Jarritos soda. I hardly ever drink soda but I guess it was calling me today. And why don't they sell it in single serving sizes instead of two servings per bottle?
    Oh well, in the words of Scarlett O'Hara, tomorrow is another day. Which reminds me---Olivia de Haviland is 100 years old today!!! She looks pretty darn good!
    Betty