Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • melaniemetoyer
    melaniemetoyer Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies....well......got another walk in this morning...3 miles this time!!!!!! Got on the scale this morning, no loss, no gain, BUT, again, I was unable to walk every morning last week. Hopefully that accounts for no loss. Trying not to get discouraged. I will stock up on the applesauce, and also take Karen's (Virginia) advice about saving calories for an evening shake. Almost sounds like a "treat" :) If you log your exercise in, and are "rewarded" extra calories but don't eat them back, why does MP say you haven't reached your caloric goal for the day if in fact you met the goal before entering the exercise...(am I saying that right)???

In any event, I'm off to North Louisiana to celebrate #1 Grandson's 18th Birthday!! ALL he wanted for his birthday was for his granny to come up to Shreveport celebrate with him at Buffalo Wild Wings. No problem...I STRONGLY DISLIKE Buffalo Wild Wings...no threat there :p It's a good three hour ride but soooo worth it <3

~Melanie~ BR LA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :)Barbara from Idaho, I am so glad to see you back...I've missed you

:)Joyce, how great to hear that you had no bag mishaps last night...you are my hero with all you are dealing with

:)Glo on the North Shore of MA if you are posting from your phone, things are different from posting on a computer....when I posted from my phone and tried to use the cute faces from my phone, it cut off my post from the point of the cute face,,,all I could use were the faces that MFP supplies. On my laptop computer I have other choices.

:) We had a fairly good night once I got home from the pharmacy and got all the other new meds sorted out and some of them dispensed to Jake. He needed to get up a few times during the night and needed me to get up and help him, but this morning , he was able to get out of bed by himself so things are improving. He said he didn't want to take the pain meds much and I told him that as long as he was whining and whimpering and grunting, I would conclude that he was in pain and give him the meds.

:'( There are no dogs to walk this morning but I'm hoping to go for a short walk alone before going out to get the pets.

:) Let's all cultivate an attitude of gratitude and have a super day.

<3 Barbie

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Lillian Congrats!!! t8308.gif
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Saturday! It feels like Sunday. Yesterday felt like Saturday because I had the day off, so I am all discombobulated. I like knowing that I have more time than less, though. It is a cool morning, in the 50's, but looks to warm up later. I ended up doing my grocery shopping and errand running yesterday afternoon. I got in a short walk to the beach to watch the sunset last night. Stayed up until midnight, too windy to have a fire in the fire pit, so maybe I will do that tonight. CRAWLED out of bed this morning. Midnight is too late for me! But if I sleep past 7am, I run the risk of that "off schedule hangover". This morning I biked down the road to the park and hiked the trails and rode home. So that's my first 6 miles of biking for July! Yea! On my to-do list for today- pulling weeds in the flower beds, replacing some edging, and repairing the wooden swing that my kiddos broke this week (*sigh). My son works a 1:30-10pm shift today, so I promised him that we would grill our lunch, rather than dinner, so he feels a little like he is having a "holiday weekend". He works through the fourth. Luckily, he will get out of work on Monday right before the fireworks go off, and his work is in a prime watching location!
    Re- Soup was one thing that surprised me, too, when I started logging! I love soups and usually have one in my fridge each week. I already knew that broth soups were healthier than the cream ones, but logging everything made me really conscious about what I put in my soups and the portion control. Now, I stick to a smaller portion of soup and usually eat it with some protein (if it's not in the soup) and lots of greens.
    Katie- For protein powders, I usually go with the GNC Amp line or Cellucor. They both come in a LOT of different flavors and I paid an extra $15 to get a GNC gold card which allows me half off/bogo deals every month. The gold card also gives me a free online subscription to a couple of different "Health" magazines. I was told by my doctor to limit the pro pow to just once a day. It is intended to be a supplement. Because I work at home and prep my meals in advance, it is pretty easy to have real sources of protein with my meals. Be careful with the protein bars. Along with the protein, they also are high in carbs and calories. Most protein bars have as many calories as a candy bar. Also, protein bars are meant as a meal replacement/extra fuel for very active people. I don't mean to sound preachy, but I was amazed to find out how many healthy things I was eating, but they were the wrong things for me and my activity level or body/health needs. Don't get me started on granola! LOL!
    Heather - So nice to see you smiling and getting back on your feet! It was upsetting to see you come home from a wonderful trip to chaos and disorder in your country. Not good for you when you are trying to relax and unwind. Wonderful pic of you with your friend's grandkids!
    Pip- Go girl! What is the name of your benefit ride? Can you post a link or tell us where to find you?

Thank you ladies for all of the kind words. Thank you for letting me hash things out here. My dh and dys are having a tough time with emotional me and I am sure it is just bc they are/feel helpless to do anything. They don't understand that they don't really need to DO anything, just let me talk, cry, sit and chew on my thoughts. You ladies get it. I do know that dys is very worried about my health. He is urging me to go have a genetic test done to look for cancers/tumors etc. I talked to him and told him that there is no common link between my sisters brain tumor and my mother's non-hodgkins lymphoma. I think a test would be inconclusive and I hate to say a waste of money, but a waste of money. I know he is scared of losing his mama. He has done the math and knows that I was a couple of years older than him when I lost my mom. Coming to terms with mortality can be scary.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Lillian- Congrats on the new baby!
    Melanie- Hang in there! Not gaining when you couldn't get all of your walks in, is a great victory! I bet you will lose a little (either in weight or inches) this week. Are you tracking your measurements too? If not, you may want to try it! There is a section where you can put your measurements in and then measure weekly. I have found, on the weeks I am not losing weight, I am building lean muscle and losing fat.
    ELEPHANT EARS- Festival food! LOL! Those are my DH's favorite fair/festival food! We do stand in line for those. He gets the elephant ears and I can never pass up the lemonade stands! Yummmm! Nice pic Katla!
    Barbie- So glad Jake is feeling better! I had to giggle at your words to him in regards to the whining and complaining. I tell my DH the same thing. They get so grumpy when we are only trying to help. I have to admit, sometimes the pain meds are more for my sanity than his pain!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Katla, thanks for he pic, I could probably eat three of them :p . Its rather like our funnel cakes here but they have powdered sugar, I would prefer the cinnamon and sugar. It's over and done now, so onward and downward. Have so much fun on your sailing excursion.

Janetr okc
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Barbie thanks for that info...I use my iPad so same as phone really.

I've just gotten thru an attack of gout! We were at Tanglewood in Lennox, Ma w/DYS, DiL & DYGD to see Garrison Keillor/Prairie Home Companion nxt to last show before he retires. Got back to resort where we were staying & bang swollen, painful foot etc. so instead of going on to NY to see my 97 YO dad back home. Took meds saw my rheumatologist yesterday...no answer to why really. I gave up all alcohol in January because of the calories, stopped smoking last August, have lost 39. #s & am more mindful of sodium, fat etc than I ever was...when BTW I didn't have a gout attack. Doc doesn't think foods are triggers unless one ate tremendous amounts of some that are high in purines. I don't eat any red to speak of meat mainly organic chicken, fish and beans lots of fruits, veggies & salad...in my genes but not my 97 YO father's!
    Interested if there is anyone dealing with this?

My thoughts are with so many of you going thru much tougher issues than mine.

GLo on the North Shore of Ma where it's going to be a grand a glorious 4th wknd but we do need rain.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

kjlamore - here is the link for the ride i did. i found they are still accepting donations thru the end of the month and entering in rides that people may not have logged thru the end of the month so my status may change. i did notice that it's accepting my rides that i did yesterday (july 1) maybe they may remove them manually later, i don't know.

https://greatcyclechallenge.com/Riders/IzzySchlotterback

ATTN: ALL - I want to thank you all for your moral support, words of encouragement and pats on the back. it meant the world to me. it was funny, the last few days i was so tired, i was starting to fall asleep at work. i've always noticed tho, once i get on the bike and the music goes on, all that feeling goes away and the auto-pilot kicks in.

my headphones were starting to peter out and kirby found that it was the chord. he called the bose store to ask for an extra chord, they said that will be $60, he said HELL NO. i may as well buy new headphones. these are under warranty and could get replacement ones for $90 (i think they were like $175 new). then they put him on hold and said, we could ship them to you and waive the shipping cost, once again, hell no! came back and they are going to ship him the chord for free at no cost. right now i'm using his chord until it comes. he wanted to buy me some bangin olsen head phones, $500! i said HELL NO!

kirby set an appointment to get the airstream repaired and polished and to install the backup camera.

gotta go to the gym. yesterday i ran 4 miles, it was still under a 10 min. mi but probably wasn't the best thing to do, we'll see than i do when i get there.

thanks again for the contrast my peeps! AND for the donations, drkatiebug and ketonekaren!!!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies-
    Here over at the house again.. Not chaotic yet but it will get there..
    We got back last night to the hotel and I threw up, must have eaten something bad.. But after I threw up felt better and went to sleep..woke up around 6.. And dad got up and we had a nice conversation over breakfast and we are out to the house.. They have rehersal dinner this afternoon, so we might leave early or stay out here..
    Dad is having a great time and that makes me so happy.. Right now he is napping in a chair lol took a picture.
    The landscape is just beautiful down here, and do very glad we came.. Haven't had a minute to real read and catch up with you all but will try tomorrow..
  • debbierichardson7186
    debbierichardson7186 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Just caught up on reading posts. Vacation with family was great. Enjoyed every minute. Stayed with my eating plan. Resisted homemade ice cream and cookies.
  • debbierichardson7186
    Options
    Not everything posted
  • debbierichardson7186
    Options
    Still having problems. Will post goals later.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Pip, congrats on the successful ride. Please let me know when you do the MS ride, too. I'll make another donation. The United Methodist Book of Discipline says that lay speakers are to serve without compensation when we do pulpit supply. Some churches insist on paying us anyway. I always donate whatever I get. I can't think of two more worthy causes than childhood cancer and MS.

We got up early this morning and instead of walking I started cutting the grass. Ran over a yellow jacket nest and got stung about 8 times on the back of my legs. Luckily I am not allergic, but they still sting. The good news is that we got all the grass cut, the hedges trimmed, and the trimmings cleaned up by 9:30. I already have over 9,000 steps and the day is young.

Thanks to all the protein suggestions and the caution on the protein bars. I am going to work harder at eating real food - eggs, oatmeal with chia seeds, Greek yogurt, etc or the shake for breakfast rather than the bar and save the bar for an occasional afternoon snack. I'll keep you updated on my success (or lack thereof). I had gotten real fond of the ease of a quest bar with a cup of coffee for breakfast.

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    KJ - Those were our friends' children, not grandchildren. One of the joys of that relationship is that they are our childrens' ages, but it makes no difference. We only saw them for a few hours last summer and again yesterday, but it always seems like we have been together all year! The husband is a teacher colleague of DH's and the wife is Colombian. They have been living in Colombia for several years now.

Raining on and off all day today. Thunder. DH managed to get out and picked several pounds of gooseberries for the freezer. I have just read the newspaper. Chorizo and lentil stew for dinner with mashed rutabaga and green beans. Alcohol free day today. ;)

Love Heather
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Ok so we are out on front por h dad and I,because more relatives showed up with more babies there are 10 under 6 :o:open_mouth: I love children but Oy wayyyyyy to many for me.will check in later xoxo
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Katla, your drive into Portland sounds worse than my drive today... Congrats to you

:# I'm at the pharmacy waiting for the last of 7 prescriptions to be filled. It's way past my bedtime but I'm energized by successfully doing something that terrified me

:)Becca good to hear that things are moving in the right direction for your husband

Gotta go home now with my bag of drugs

I have a bagful as well! I am Pill Queen....don't dare touch my bag....
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Katla~ Congrats to you for driving into hellish Portland!!! Driving the Sunset home was bumper to bumper! At that was at 3 PM. Everyone heading to the beach!! I was nice and when there was the passing lane, I went right and let them zoom by me. Of course when I was in Seaside, and toward home, I REALLY did the speed limit. Let them all go crazy as I did 35 mph in my little cute town. I could just mentally hear them yelling "I NEED TO GET TO my hotel/camping area so I can relax and drink dangnabbit!!"
    Glad I don't play that driving game to Portland all the time.
    Becca
    Oregon
    being lazy at home with husband yakking blissfully.
  • Annr
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Becca, so glad it worked!!!!! Now the two of you can get back to living. Glad him and son were chatttering away. I think that shows that son was maybe a titch worried about Dad and was rather giddy when he got him home.

Katla, if your elephant ear is anything like we have at our annual Fall Festival, I can't blame you for wanting to at least eat some of it and then gaining some weight. I didn't know anyone else had elephant ears. Last year I was actually able to tell Michelle not to get me one. We usually go one time during the week and I get one right before we leave. But with Charlie and his ulcerative colitis we didn't go so Michelle knows how much I love them and was going to get one for me. But they aren't the same unless you eat them while they are really hot and they don't microwave well at all. So I stuck to my ground and said no.

That ileostomy bag I put on Charlie last night is still on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I put some extra tape around the adhesive this afternoon because the actual barrier seems to be int:open_mouth some of the adhesive loose.

It's going to rain several inches this weekend and we may not get any fireworks. But I guess I shouldn't complain since we still have our home, our town, our lives and not totally flooded.

Joyce, Indiana

Thanks friend! Yep we did a shopping run, with him in a motorized cart, being crazy. He likes to push my cart around (with his) when I let loose of it. Also I have to warn people that husband is behind me, so they need to keep hold of their child's hand. Of course any gorgeous ladies need to be careful too, because he has a tendency to drive down THEIR isles again. *sigh* It is really nice to have him home! :-) He might be a raunchy sailor, but he is MY sailor. hahaha..

Glad your Charlie's bag is working out well! My husbands' wound is smaller, and I don't need to replace the adhesive bandage for another 2 days. It was crazy when I watched the doctor remove the bile drain tube from his side. He must have pulled 3 ft of small white tubing out of him, and he looked at me saying, " didn't think it was that long huh"? Right now there is a stent, (small plastic tube) that is between where his liver connects to the bile duct. In 4 weeks they will do another ERCP (endoscopy with wire to check) to see if the stent is working. I was glad I was there in the hospital (had a sleeping chair) and could do and fetch whatever my husband needed. Rule #1 is never go to the hospital alone.

It's overcast here, and I am sure that all the tourists are whining, where is the sun?? It's the coast, need I explain more? lol
    (((hugs)))
    Becca
    Oregon