Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    :)
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

KarenE, Welcome. Thanks for the introduction. This is a great place for support and information so come often. Please sign each post with the name you want to be called to help us remember who you are.

Glo, glad you were able to post a full post. I agree it’s weird if emoji’s are your problem but computers are strange sometimes. impatient-smiley-emoticon.gif (later) sorry to hear about the gout. Thank goodness that is one thing I’ve not had a problem with. Hope you are better soon!

Sue, it’s great that you are going to meet Rori. Ya’ll give each other a hug for me. We really aren’t ever on our toes in line dancing so don’t think that is the reason for the leg cramps. There is one move that we did in a dance that could be the cause so I’ll take a look at that and talk to the dance instructor about it. You got me thinking about it. Thanks.

Barbara, welcome back. I wish my instructor taught line dancing twice a week. I feel like it is some of the best exercise I get. Have fun.

Mary, you are doing great after being so sick. Are you considered well? Just glad you are back and feeling better!!!! (((Hugs)))

Becca, so glad things are finally looking up. Now you can take a breath! (((Hugs))) to whole “fam damily”. 4226.gif

MicheleNC, I agree that being addicted to exercise is a good one to have. Too bad others of us don’t have the problem..

Barbie, so glad you made it home safely and so proud of you for being able to do it!!! But I knew you could do anything you set your mind to. I wish Jake a quick and easy recovery.

OK ALREADY!! Enough talk about Elephant Ears. If ya’ll keep it up your going to have me going out looking for some or making them at home. And we sure don’t want that. I don’t know why, but just about any kind of pastry with cinnamon is so hard for me to resist. I mean, I love, love, love it! I keep thinking I’ll get over it but so far no luck. Oh I can almost taste it!.. I mean when I’m in Costco and see those little baby Cinnabons I just want to open it up and eat a couple of dozen right in the store. *sigh* Ok, rant over. Thanks my friends. t1913.gif

Cheri, I have come to the conclusion that the people who live like slobs in a rental probably live the same way in their own homes. It’s sad. But I hear ya on the bleach.

Amatullaah, welcome. Please tell us about yourself to help us get to know you. This is a wonderful place for support so come often. We also appreciate if you would sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific.

KarenE, Mary has been an inspiration to many of us on weights and other things. As have some of the other ladies here. The thing is to start slow and build up, but I’m sure you know that. Good luck.

Lillian, congrats on the new “grand” what ever it is? LOL You know we want pictures as soon as you can.

Barbie, wow for Jake to be getting up by himself already!!! And I understand the body can heal faster if we aren’t in a lot of pain so shove those meds down his throat. p12020.gif

Pip, we already know you are super human but for pete’s sake woman, why don’t you rest for a day or two and give your poor body a break. It’s a holiday weekend, ya know!! Then you can run, jump and hop all you want. It’s no wonder you’ve been tired.

Allie, so glad you are both enjoying being there. Have a ball.

Debbie, so glad you had a great vacation. Sorry for the problems you and others are having with posting.

Kay, so sorry you got stung and so many times!!! I’m not allergic either but really don’t like being stung by a yellow jacket, bee or wasp. Ewwwww I know you’ll do a good job getting your protein. You have really stepped up to the plate on your eating and exercise. Woo Hoo on the size L top!!! See, it’s paying off.

Joyce, so happy the “bag is still on”. Those are words we love to hear. Keep it up!!!

Barbie, I enjoyed your picture message. Glad Jake is resting.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

It’s 9:00 p m here and I hear fireworks outside. They are not allowed in the neighborhoods but that doesn’t slow anyone down. I just hate it for the poor dogs. It drives them crazy, including mine. I guess we will have two or three more days of it. They have wonderful fireworks over the ocean on the Fourth. I do hope you all have a wonderful weekend and a safe holiday. …6624.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    We were out and we had our first official blow out. Charlie had mowed half the lawn so I knew that I was really crossing my fingers that this bag would stay on while his body got hot. So we were checking out this new place Michelle had heard of and when we were done, I noticed Charlie had stuff on his shirt. Now normally that is not abnormal at all. He is a messy eater and usually wears his food. But then we noticed it was on his trousers. So it was a big mess. But this time we changed his bag when he was standing up and i hope it stays on better.

Barbie, love your emojies. You are busy as usual doing laundry and it looks like Jake is resting.

JOyce, Indiana

i admire you.. {{{{{hugs}}}}
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,344 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr Patrick Goudeau Lean Hot Body DVD, The plan for tomorrow is to do a body by Bethany DVD. I belive it is a yoga DVD

Barbara - welcome back!

Went to the farmer's market. The guy with the corn didn't have any Silver Queen but he thinks he'll have more next week. Then went to Hamricks (who didn't have the shoes that I wanted), stopped at the Crowne Plaza to leave a deposit for our Christmas party, then to Aldi. Had to stop at Food Lion to get flank steak. If Vince ever knew that I got laughing Cow also (that's the only store that sells the cheddar), he'd have a fit. He kept saying "now you're only going in for one item, right", so I didn't tell him that I got it.

Karen in VA - Now I love shirataki noodles instead of spaghetti. As a matter of fact, Jess one time was making chicken parm for us and I asked her if I could have shirataki noodles instead of the spaghetti. I admit, at first they did take some getting used to. I think I was expecting the same texture of regular spaghetti. Thy're more "rubbery". But now I love them. Would you believe I've never tried spiralized zucchini, etc? But I do love spaghetti squash with a bit of spaghetti sauce on it.

amatullaah - what an interesting name! Welcome! You'll get lots lots of good ideas and support here. To me, a good place to start is to log EVERYTHING, no matter how bad it may be. Trust me, that's an eye opener.

Lillian - congratulations!

Melanie - I usually add in some of the tofu and unsweetened chocolate. There are days when I don't have it so before I close out my diary for the day, I just delete that. But it's good to have it in there, for me anyway.

Lectored at the church. The mass got out early so I was standing outside the church waiting for Vince. One more month to go......... Assuming all goes well, august 2 is the day, and I can't wait.

Vince was saying how he hasn't lost the weight that he put on at Thanksgiving. I just told him that part of that was my fault. If he weren't so wonderful about taking me to exercise classes (he usually goes to Waffle House or McDonald's while I exercise), he'd be having a much smaller breakfast. Well....one more month to go!

Glo - OUCH!!! I've never had gout (thank goodness) but Vince did. He said the pain was so excruciating that he thought he'd broken his toe. He now takes Uloric to ward off gout attacks

katie - ouch on those stings. Are they itchy? Great NSV

Joyce - I use this stuff called "ground clear" on the weeds. Yea Charlie's bag is staying on!

Alison - so glad you're having such a good time, but sad about your aunt.

DJ - I used to be a constant fan of this site where you can download different videos. Now I'm a fan of this site where you can swap videos. It's just so funny. the other day when we went to SC, the second you cross into SC from NC, there were all these fireworks places. I bet this weekend the police are really looking at cars that come over from SC.

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Barbie: I like the notion of cultivating an attitude of gratitude. Thanks for the suggestion. It can be all too easy to focus on the worries and ignore the good things all around us. :heart:

Becca: I am so glad your DH is home and things are going better. :flowerforyou:

Winquaat: It is nice to have another Oregonian here. Welcome! I live quite a bit downriver from you, several miles on the other side of Portland. :smiley:

Miriam: It was nice of you and the girls to clean up the downtown pocket park, and what a lovely lesson in civic pride for them. WTG! :star:

Dr. Katiebug: Smaller clothes are the very best NSV's in my opinion. Congratulations on a major testament to your success. :star::bigsmile: :star:

Kim: I love that you've made a fun goal and are increasing it. WTG!!! :heart:

Joyce: I agree with Pip. I admire you. too. You've been faced with a lot of health issues between yourself and Charlie and you're always doing what needs to be done. That takes courage and strength of character. :heart: :heart: :heart:

I had a wretched time trying to sleep last night. People were setting off firecrackers and the dog was freaking out. I finally put him downstairs in the garage. The plan was to leave for a boating adventure today but DH isn't feeling well enough to go. Maybe tomorrow. We gave the dog half a tranquilizer this afternoon and put him in his Thundercoat. It has been working pretty well so far. Some firecrackers were set off this afternoon, and he seemed wary, but he didn't freak out. So far the day has been better than yesterday for the dog. We planned to take our boat out today and head down to a quiet anchorage, but DH hasn't been up to it. Tomorrow is another day. Maybe we'll be able to go, and maybe not.

I went to my riding lesson today but didn't get to ride. The horse I ride had a sore foot and he needed a day off. I spent some time with another horse there, as a meet and greet. I'm considering him for a partial lease, but my teacher has reservations about his suitability. He behaved well enough during the meet & greet, but I haven't tried to groom, saddle or ride him yet. I don't plan to make any decisions or real changes until later in August at the earliest. We'll be traveling part of the time between now and then, so starting something new seems to be a good idea for later.

Happy July 2! This is my DD's birthday! :star::heart: :star: I sent her a card and a gift, but I won't get to see her anytime soon. :ohwell:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,114 Member
    Options
    DJ- I'm not considered well yet. The Lymes and Anaplasmosis can go dormant so I will be treated until August then on the 19th I will be reassessed. I feel great though! The medicine really has helped. I hope you enjoy your 4th of July Celebration over the ocean.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Monster ears at our festival is coated, rather dipped and drenched in syrup. The bees follow you all the way to your car. This Fall Festival is the second largest street festival second to the Mardi Gras. It goes from Sunday through Saturday and some people go two meals a day and eat there. I'm not really sure if there is any food that is good for you. The hospitals are trying to give alerts on the food booths if there is healthy food. We are a large German and Catholic community and we like to eat. The whole festival is all for fund raising.

I think renters like to rent just so that they don't have to maintain their own home. I remember a time when we were potty training Christina. My brother lived close to where we were when she told us she had to go so we stopped by. I had never seen such a mess. Every dish in the house was dirty and they were on every surface, all over the kitchen, ironing board and bath tub. Now she has totally changed since she became a Grandma and you need to be organized when 3 grand babies all under 3 come over.

Joyce, Indiana
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Catching up… Just to the bottom of page 3.

Lisa – {{{hugs}}} I am sure that leaving Daisy was hard, but you did a good thing to let her live where she is comfortable and stress-free. That was a very unselfish act. On the insurance, I worked with COBRA insurance years ago. If my memory serves me correctly, you have an eligibility period for the COBRA so you can play the COBRA game. Just wait until the very end of the eligibility period. If you have a claim during that time, then you can sign up for the COBRA insurance and it is effective back to the date you lost coverage. If you have no claim, then let it pass and you’ve not paid the premiums. Not sure when your insurance kicks in, but if it kicks in about the time that eligibility period ends, then you are all good.

Joyce – Hoping you get this ostomy bag thing worked out soon as I know it is causing you stress.

Re – You are not alone. I’m sure there are many of us who have put recipes into MFP only to find out that they were much higher in calories that we ever thought. I’ve also pinned some recipes on Pinterest that I thought would be healthy, only to plug them into MFP and be surprised at the calories.

KJ - <3 Your story about your visit with your sister brought a tear to my eye.

DrKatie – The nutritionist I was taking a class from recommended Tera’s Whey Protein which I can find in the health market section of our local grocery store. She suggested going with a whey protein over a soy protein, but I don’t remember why. But if you are dairy sensitive, then there are also pea protein powders that are supposed to be good for you. I try not to do too much protein powder or protein shakes simply because I consider them to be processed foods and I have been trying to limit processed foods and eat more naturally. Instead, I will add hemp hearts which are a good natural source of protein to my morning smoothie.

Barbie – Congrats on your successful trip home!

Becca – So glad to hear that your hubby’s procedure went well. Yea!!!

Welcome to all the newbies!

Linda/IA
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    This is my youngest daughter and her family. Today was the first day they got to visit with my grandson that went into rehab several weeks ago. This is the one I told you that called me to come get him and take him to the bus depot the next day. He looks happy and was not complaining about anything there so that's a big plus. Still praying all goes well with him and he can get his life together. Oldest grandson is the one in the middle back, son in law is on the left and my daughter on the right. Her two younger kids are in front.

Janetr OKCffb6z8b0voag.jpg
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Janetr - what a nice looking family - your dgd has a great smile...
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I just had a bottle of Stella Artouis beer with my dinner, and wow...I'm such a light-weight! Flushed and numb lips...and grinning like a smiling zombie.... So.... now I am sipping coffee, and loving that too.

Joyce in Indiana~ Yep I agree with Pip, you are handling this bag business like a pro, and I admire you as well. Take each situation individually, and accept what happens, happens. You are doing the best you can do, with what you are given. Charlie seems to be taking this all in stride. When my husband was in his "depends" phase we dealt with so many accidents, and times when there seemed to never be enough wipes to deal with a situation. I kind of went into caregiver mode, and just took all the overwhelmed emotions I was feeling and just put them away somewhere. Now was not the time to take them out. It did help me to attend a "caregivers support group" and just vent about it. ((((((hugs)))) friend. You are never alone in this..just remember!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • NO_Excuses_515
    Options
    Well, by golly, I believe I have caught up for now.

Lisa – Congrats on getting everything moved. Hope things turn out will with the RV search.

Katla – Looks like those elephant ears may be a treat worth the calories. My hubby’s favorite fair treat are the funnel cakes. Similar to the elephant ears, they are basically fried dough. But typically covered in powdered sugar or icing.

AmatullaahA – Welcome! Tell us a little about yourself and please sign your posts with whatever name you want us to call you. As for getting started, a good thing is to start just by logging all your food into MFP. That will give you a good idea of how many calories you are eating daily. And if you look at the MFP macros, you can start to see how many of those calories come from protein versus fat versus carbs. Also, make sure you are logging your exercise or connect your fitness tracker to MFP if you have one. I think it’s important to know where you are starting and then make decisions from there.

Lillian – Congrats on the new grand baby! And happy belated Canada day to you and all our friends in Canada.

DrKatie – Congrats on the NSV. I think smaller clothes are even better than lost pounds on the scale!

Kim – Good luck with your mom/houseguest. I always stress about my mom’s visits because she always comes when it is convenient for her and not for me. But, I usually find that preparing for her visit is more stressful than her actual visit and we end up having a pleasant time.

JanetR – I remember you telling us about your grandson when he went into rehab. I’m so glad that things seem to be working and I hope they continue to go well.

Linda/IA
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Linda/IA - thank you. I'm praying that this time it will get thru to him that he is the only one who has control of his life and that he is able to take positive steps.

Kim, thanks :)

Janetr OKC
  • NO_Excuses_515
    Options
    Today, we went to visit my in-laws. Both suffer from dementia but my MIL’s is much more progressed. The doctor says she is near the end. It could be tomorrow or it could be a month or more from now. Her brain is simply no longer communicating with her body. She has not spoken for several months. A couple of months ago, they put her on a liquid diet because she could not chew her food any longer. Now, her brain just doesn’t tell her body that she is hungry so she barely eats anything. It is horrible to watch her waste away, but the doctor says that she is not suffering at all. During today’s trip, my husband and his two brothers actually met with the funeral home director to start pre-planning her funeral.

Anyway, we had a very nice visit today. My FIL was having a good day and sat and talked with us for a couple of hours. He remembered that yesterday, he had been taken to visit the replica of the Veteran’s Memorial that is currently in town. And he smiled and laughed with us several times. On the other hand, he told us he had not had a Pepsi to drink in over a year when we know the care center has a stash for him and he is offered one each afternoon. So, we made sure he had one during our visit. My MIL is unable to communicate but she sat and attentively listened to all that we were saying. We will never know how much she understands, but you can see in her eyes that she does still know us and that she enjoyed our visit. It is a 3-plus hour drive to visit them, so this will likely be our last visit with MIL.

Knowing that both of his parents suffer from dementia, I am concerned about my hubby. I’m going to do some research. Anyone here know about hereditary aspects of dementia?

Linda in IA
  • janetr7476
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Linda/IA - so sorry to hear of your MIL's decline. It is just so hard to watch them and to be helpless to do anything.

I am in the same situation with Jack. His mother started having problems several years ago. It was so scary. They finally got her on some meds that have settled down the really worst of it, but she still has good days and bad days. They have told us that this is just the "honey moon" period and that eventually that won't work. We can see indications of that now, she's 85. We are much older than you guys and Jack just does not remember so many things and it really concerns me sometimes. Let me know what you discover from your research.

Janetr OKC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,211 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    I've at last managed to download the little video my son made of their Portugal holiday. What fun! Music and everything. Special effects. :D<3 I shall have to learn how to do that. He is all on Apple though and did it on his phone and IPad. I know I could do it, but I am Android. It's lovely to have that little record of the great time they had.

I'm a bit flat today, but looking forward to seeing my friend tomorrow. I'm sure I would feel better if I got myself up and out at weekends, but time slips away. I must dig up our garlic crop this pm. The weeds are horrendous out there, but I seem to have lost my enthusiasm for gardening. The weather hasn't helped. We have had sooooooo much rain. Yesterday the council came to shovel away all the mud and gravel that had accumulated outside our drive in the road. It looked like a river bed, which it was, in effect.
    I feel as if I don't really want to be here at all :disappointed:
    Having my post holiday slump I guess.

Poor DH has a cold which has gone to his chest and he is wheezing and coughing a lot. He probably picked it up on the ship. He also took one on there at the start of the cruise, so he feels he has had his fair share of viruses. :cold_sweat:
    It doesn't make him want to do a lot though. ;):# We will watch the France v Iceland soccer match together tonight, which should be fun. I normally support France, but no one can resist an underdog. :D

Wan tun soup for lunch with lots of seaweed. :D

Love Heather
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    GLo That's about 2 lbs a week! Wow! Just wow!

Janetr OKC Your grandson looks so happy. Thanks for posting that picture of your handsome family.

Heather ...Penny lives in a million places & says she isn't even sure where home is...that seems to be sanity preserving...just a thought...I hate that you feel disenfranchised, but in fact, you really are in a way... :( Hope hubby feels better soon.

Everyone with ailments or ill family members...my best supportive vibes being sent your way.

Karen in Virginia United_States.gif
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Glo your fruit salad sounds so good I wanna jump in my car and join in!!! And congrats on such a great weight loss. That is something I love about MFP, it keeps all that data and you can reflect back on it, very inspirational.

Logging and keeping with it honestly, even when u slip up is really what this is all about. I am already thinking about this with my "working" vacation coming up. I know we will enjoy some wonderful dinners together (wine) but am planning my regular low calorie high protein breakfast, HEALTHY lunches and walking walking walking!

Enjoy the holiday weekend and I hope all the fur babies out there can get through it without too much fireworks anxiety. NYKAREN