WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,117 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Anyone interested in the Kettlebell swing read simple and sinister by Pavel Tsatsouline, watch his videos and StrongFirst videos. Strongfirst uses Pavel's program. There are full length workout videos on YouTube by him and StrongFirst as well as instructions.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Did 20 minutes of yoga, did 2 min 50 sec of bicycles, then the extremepump class. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Tracy Long Step Forward DVD

Exercised then had to leave early for the food pantry. See, they had these tables where people put their donations and I think they got confused. So there were A LOT of donations. Fortunately, we used Vince's SUV and were able to take them all. Then went to bowling, we have to leave early for ceramics since we need to buy gas and I get 10 cents a gallon off. Then mahjongg

Karen in VA - happy, happy birthday

Vince is talking about cutting the grass (weeds, really) tomorrow, so I doubt I'll get any weeds cut down then going to the movies to see "All About Pets". If we go Tues it's $5. Wednesday I may be able to get a few but then we have ceramics at night. We're supposed to Skype with Bryan on Thurs, I'm thinking that before we do I'll make this dessert to have when Jess comes here this weekend. Friday I can probably get more weeds cut.

Becca - I really like doing water aerobics in the deep end of the pool. No impact but you sure can get your heartrate up! I wear webbed gloves and water shoes when I do it

Got the ceramic wolves from ceramics tonight. I was afraid to take a picture of it on the outside chance that Jess would see it. Personally, I like the way the paint on the body came out. One lady gave me the suggestion and I think it came out pretty good. There were a few spots that I needed to use acrylics on, either there were "hot spots" or I neglected to paint them (can't see how I missed them three times)

I mentioned to Vince that he should find out the times of the movies. He told me he has something to do tomorrow, that I'm welcome to come with him. When I asked what, he wouldn't tell me. Don't know what's up with that.

Becca - hope your eye gets better real fast

CSSJ - congrats!

Sue - our YMCA makes you get out of the pool. Truthfully, I think it's pretty stupid, but that's their rule

Re - congrats on the wonderful loss

Joyce - bet Charlie watched the RNC tonight. I do have to say, Donald Trumps wife IS really pretty. Just think -- if he becomes president, we'll have the hottest first lady....lol

Michele in NC
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thanks again for birthday wishes! It was a perfect day! We picked up our granddaughter this afternoon and she stayed until an hour ago, playing with the dogs, then we watched So You Think You Can Dance. Well, I watched and she danced. She's a happy girl.

I watched an hour of the RNC this afternoon, and was wildly entertained. Beyond all expectations!

Healing thoughts to all who need them.

Karen in thunderstorming Virigini
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Michele- my DD and DSIL are coming up for Moondance Jam which starts on Thursday night. They are taking me to "All About Pets" on Friday! We all can hardly wait!!!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Cheri - I know it's already been answered but Daylilies do fine in Texas. I even have them growing in HOT Houston. :) I've seen some absolutely lovely ones around here. They will do great in your area.

Marcelyn
    in Houston
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    so just a quick comment on kettleball swings - I have been interested in the kettleball swings and the small amount of time to burn a lot of calories... so have watched the videos and with my dicey shoulder have waited and waited - well for a few weeks now I have been doing them in the Kim Modification system (LOL) so I started with 10, no weight, and with my arms crossed across my chest, when that got comfortable I did them with my arms in position but no weight, after a week or so of that I added a one pound weight, after just 5 I knew I had done too much, 3 days of icing and back to no weight - so am now up to 20 with no weight - and while it is not anything like the amazing work out that Mary does, I can feel it and am thinking I will try doing 1 with my 1 pound weight and 19 no weight for a few days, then maybe add one swing a week with weight.... I am sure if I go slow enough I can get stronger... This is NOT a race! I am related to a snail on this one...LOL

Kim in N. California
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rita: I'm pleased to her that you will have income and healthcare! This is excellent news. :bigsmile:

CSS: Congratulations on your new grandchild! :flowerforyou:

Kim: I appreciate your suggestions about ginger. The nearest Trader Joes is a long way from here with nasty traffic to get there, but I was able to find some locally. Today I got some ginger hard candy and also ginger capsules. I got the candy at Walgreens and the capsules at Walmart. The candy is marketed for morning sickness, not a problem for me, but I suspect it will do just fine with motion sickness. I hope. Your new job is starting out on a good note. I hope it continues to be just right for you. :smiley:

Sue: I've never lived in an area with frequent lightning storms but I took swimming lessons in an outdoor pool as a child. The water was COLD. One day we did have to get out of the water because of a lightning storm. I've never been asked to get out of an indoor pool because of weather. It seems odd to me that they made you get out of the water indoors. :ohwell:

Last weekend I ran into someone I knew several years ago who is a masseuse. She has another job now but is still giving massages to a few clients. She agreed to give me a massage, and today was the day. I feel so much better than I have since I slipped on the ice and broke my wrist last winter. I evidently did some damage to my neck in that fall, and she worked on it today. She's willing to give me another massage when we get back from our upcoming trip. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

July Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Kim - that is awesome! Your post and insight should be inspiration to everyone. Even with weight lifting women increase the weight by one chain link at a time. The key is to know your body and what it is capable of doing right now and slowly increase whether it may be steps, seconds on a plank, one more wall push up, peddling one more block...

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Mary, going to spend some time learning then start slow

GLo
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Kim also thanks for sharing your experience...no weights/low weights sounds like the way to start for me...now to watch the videos

GLo
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    CJ - Many, many, many CONGRATULATIONS! ! !

Karen - Your granddaughter sounds like so much fun!

Yoga today. My weight is up a bit. Going to cut calories for a while.

Love Heather
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Crazy busy week, the boss is out with a truly horrible case of shingles, bless her heart, and I'm trying to be me and her both. It's on her neck, in her hair, and truly scary looking. And she's only 38. Rethinking getting that shingles vaccine..

Thinking about y'all, Lisa in West Texas
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,706 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    Lisa~Tom had Shingles about 6 yrs ago in his 50s in his hair,in his ear and in his mouth and on his face near his eye.. they kept him overnight in the hospital and he was on meds for a long time..took over year for the nerve pain to go away..
    I am just sooo ashamed of myself.. pictures of me at the wedding are just horrible.. I look like a tropical elephant..
    I have let myself go and have to get back into a healthy eating habit and exercising..
    I am going up after work to stay with Faith so starts my week with her up there after work, leave there in the morning and come to the house and get my work done here before work..
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Here is something I do to stop my motion sickness on a boat, sounds silly but it works for me every time on a very choppy 2 hour ferry ride. ICE CUBES on my wrist and back of neck. Don't know why, but it worked. I will absolutely try the ginger next time.

Barbie I heard an interview with Elizabeth Gilbert about "Big Magic" and just got from the library to enjoy. I am currently reading "Valiant Ambition" about Benedict Arnold and George Washington which is so great I have only glanced at big magic but here is my quote for my pocket today:

"We must risk delight. We must have the stubbornness to accept our gladness in the ruthless furnace of this world"

Allie I know the feeling when you see a photo and can't believe what you see. I can only say, don't hurt yourself about it, motivate! take one step at a time to make better food choices, move a little more and stick with us! Who always says this at the end of her posts? Rori? Together we can do this!
    NYKAREN
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Okay, Re, here are my stats: I was freaked and disappointed when I hopped on the scale, but I have added more exercise, and I do tend to have one week each month where I gain. So, hopefully the weight gain is due mainly to it being my "heavy week" plus the added muscle from working out...right? We will see how this week goes. Down would be better!

STARTING WEIGHT: 205
    CURRENT WEIGHT: 209
    TOTAL LBS LOST OR GAINED (THIS WEEK): +4
    TOTAL LBS LOST OR GAINED (ALL WEEKS): +4
    GOAL WEIGHT: 180
    TOTAL LBS AWAY FROM GOAL: 29
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,921 Member
    Options
    <3Allie, the weight loss journey that Jake I are on, started the day he looked at himself in the mirror and said he looked like a beached walrus....it got him going on healthy eating and exercise and inspired me to do the same. Be thankful for those photos and the nudge you've gotten from them and begin your journey this minute.

:)NYKaren, thanks for the quote...the downside of listening to audio books while walking the dogs is that I can't copy and share the words that are meaningful...I have to enjoy them all by myself.

:)Lisa, my mother had shingles and it was horrible...when our doctor told us about the vaccine, we drove immediately to the place where the shots were being given....our insurance didn't cover the cost but we felt that it was money well spent...I know my mother would have paid ten times that amount to avoid the misery she experienced.

:) Jake was feeling good enough yesterday to go to the grocery store and walk through the whole store with me. He had trouble sleeping last night so he's awake already and sitting next to me which throws my concentration off. We have things to do together this morning after dog walking but he'll be able to nap in the afternoon.

:'( I have put weight training on hold lately because my legs are hurting more (I'll see the doctor on Monday) and because of all the unexpected things I'm doing to support Jake in his recovery from surgery. I don't have a kettle bell for the swings so I've used a dumbbell.

<3 Barbie from overcast NW Washington
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies. I felt the need to throw in a disclaimer here. I am NOT at all in the same league as Mary, Barbie and many others here. I don't do heavy weights at all. I'm doing weight resistance strength training. The heaviest weights I use at once is twenty pounds. My kettle bell is only 15#, however it does need upped at this point. Yesterday Jack decided he needed to replace the wax ring in the toilet in our master bathroom. I helped him sit the toilet in the shower and then move it back into place. He said wow you were a great help. I'm definitely stronger and feel better and that is my purpose. NSV!!

Janetr okc
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Janetr - 15 pounds is a good starting weight with the kettle bell. And if you are ready to move up you are doing fantastic!

Allie- you are here with us that is a great beginning! Do one thing every day to improve your health and fitness level.

Barbie- I am glad that Jake is getting better. Sorry to hear about your legs giving you problems. The dumbbell makes a great kettle bell!

Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    >:)

It's a Simple & Sinister kind of day

Karen in Virginia