WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello all: Went to water exercise at the YM this morning and just when the class was supposed to start they made everyone get out of the pool because someone saw lightning. We had to stay out of the water for 30 minutes then the instructor did a shortened 30 minute class before she had to teach another class. I know there is controversy about getting out of the water in an indoor pool in a thunder storm but statistics say no one ever has been struck by lightning in an indoor pool. The YW I worked at never got people out in a storm and the hospital pools I worked at did not get people out either. The only time we made everyone get out for a weather occurrence was when we had a tornado warning.

Karen in VA - Happy, happy birthday!!!! Enjoy.

Re - SW = 213
    CW =212
    Total lost this week -1
    Total lost all weeks -1
    GW = 190
    Total #s from goal = 22

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in WA
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Becca - When my boys were 7 and 9; because the DYS changed clothes 3 or 4 times a day; for appearances - had to impress the girls, even at that age. He'd then would deposit them into the dirty clothes basket. So I taught them how to wash and dry and fold and put away their own clothes. I was not going to be "The Help". Shortly thereafter I taught them how to cook. They had to plan a meal, make sure we had everything he needed, cook, set up the table, clean up. They needed to know all this for when they 'left home'. DYS makes coffee so strong, I swear it has 'legs'. When we go out there, I boil a pot of water to water it down. He likes that coffee they make out there, not so much with the chicory; but, strong, nonetheless. I think their wives have appreciated them knowing how to cook and clean (not making them "The Help" either). DOS grills out 3 or 4 times a week. Can't wait to get out there to find out what he is going to cook this time. Yummy in my tummy!

DH was the one who taught them how to drive, starting about that young age. They are good drivers, too.

I sometimes go back to sleep after having my coffee in the AM; but, usually I will wake up again about an hour later,

I 'hide' money from myself in my checkbook (to pay for things that I might use the money for, for something other than intended). It can be a little daunting when I need to add it back to my account and then try to 'balance it'. I usually want to balance it down to the penny. Since the first of the month I had not been able to do so. Come to find out a check that had been sent in to pay a bill, got posted; but, the cancelled check never made it back to my bank. So I had nearly $100 that I was 'off' every month. GGGrrrrr - but, at least it ended up being 'in my favor'. Bank told me that since it had not come back, they would not honor it after 6 months.

Got a big surprise today from car insurance company that sent us a check (after my wreck) for the amount of money that it 'lost in value' due to the wreck. I was surprised! But, that will make our vacation with the girls a lot better (and it will also pay for gas for our trip to Louisiana.

Lenora
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,121 Member
    Options
    GLo- Kettlebell swing is a high calorie burn like HIIT and has the after burn of weight training. About 20 calories/minute plus the after burn. Twenty minute workout burns 400 calories plus tightens your whole body especially abs and glutes.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Question for the gardeners out there-my husband wants to try and transport some of his favorite daylilies that we have here at our Ohio home. Will they survive and grow in Texas?!

Thanks!

Cheri
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,931 Member
    Options
    :) I forget who recommended "Big Magic'' by Elizabeth Gilbert, but I got it as an audio book and have been listening and I love it. I highly recommend it to all of you especially anyone who is a writer or painter or creator in any genre.

<3 Barbie
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hello Hot Honeys;

Another glorious week has passed and I am down another pound. So stoked. I am having a hard time deciding what to say, here, because I want to just babble about how excited I am... lol. I will restrain myself.

I will tell you that I tried my first Plank the other day... *snorts* yeah... about 15 seconds. I am thinking that is going to take some working up to.

As for the whole Spinster thing - my point is this - 100 yrs. ago, when a woman's whole goal in life was to be married to a great guy - Spinster might have been a worthy insult - but today? Really? I hardly think anyone's marital status merits comment. There is a lot more going on in the lives of women than just getting married.

I am just still so flabbergasted that Kim's Mom was so mean... and all the rest of the Moms that were vindictive old cows... Heck, I guess I was lucky - my Mom is actually HAPPY for me.

GLo - that salad sounds yummy. I might have to try making my own version.

Rita - so happy that you have less money woes. Worrying about keeping the electricity on is always a bummer.

Becca - lol. Guess you think twice about that glass of wine among strangers, huh? I have a similar problem. Every time I yawn, my eyes water. It looks like I am crying... I often have to explain to people that there is nothing wrong, I am just sleepy. Have fun with the water aerobics.

Katla - good luck with the Ginger.

Debbie - Rock on, Sister! But definitely take care of yourself. Perhaps a physician might be able to give you a second opinion on the dietician's advice... especially if you are exhausted by simple exercise.

Pip - wow. Glad to hear you aren't going to kill yourself just to beat that other gal. Bragging rights are nice - but, really, you have worked very hard. No need to make yourself crazy over it.

Janet - the flat stomach is all I want out of life...I am exercising it like crazy, but I expect I will have to do what Mia did... because I am going to have A LOT of excess skin, particularly in the lower abdomen. I swear, you would think I had 12 kids.

Allie - there is a little icon that looks like a sheet of paper at the top of the posting box... click on it and browse for your pics. Please do post. We would love to see your GD looking like a Princess.

Karen - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Kim - you rock that outfit - strut, Sister.

Michele - keep on taming the wilds... it's great exercise, too.

Heather - Bea is precious. There is nothing better than a happy baby.

Joyce - I hope the sleep helps. ((hugs!))

Cheri - Day Lillies do all right here...you have to water them, of course - but not more than anything else. I think you should try it. And your afghan is lovely.

Sorry if I missed you - I have to get back to the huge pile of my desk.

Stay Strong!

Re in TX
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    Afternoon everyone.
    Went to dietitian today and have lost 2 lbs in 10 days! I have been eating between 1200 & 1500 cal per day. She says to eat at least 1800 cal, including, 200g of carbs. She is concerned because I am exhausted after 30 min of walking. It feels like I will have to ignore low calorie vegetables to get in the calories. I think I am also afraid I will not keep losing if I eat that much. Having a hard time deciding how to proceed.
    Thanks for all the support you have given me.
    Good wishes to all!
    DebbieTX

:) Debbie, I upped my calories on the days I exercised harder because I was lightheaded. Peanut butter was a good way for me to up calories in a protein filled way (and I loved peanut butter as a reward for being more active)

<3 Barbie
    Barbie, you always have such good sensible advice! I learn a lot from you!

Taking a break from the bike today..it might be hard to get my rides in for the next couple of weeks due to traveling etc. but I will try some because it seems the scale is ever so slowly starting to go down after creeping up in the winter.

Planning on an emotional week so hope I can stay the path...

Betty
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    B)
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,633 Member
    Options
    B)
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Margaret- beautiful flowers!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    csofled wrote: »
    Question for the gardeners out there-my husband wants to try and transport some of his favorite daylilies that we have here at our Ohio home. Will they survive and grow in Texas?!

Thanks!

Cheri

Cheri, I'm not really a gardener, but I believe day lillies will do great in TX. I have some here in Oklahoma City and I also had them in Dallas.

Janetr okc
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,563 Member
    Options
    stats of the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 9.36min, 16amph, 136mhr, 2.5mi = 79c
    SPIN- 45.15min, 97r, 40w, 5sp, 131mhr, 8mi = 240c
    ride gym 2 dome- 4.54min, 12.8amph, 118mhr, 1mi = 41c
    ride round parking lot- 23.27min, 9.7amph, 110mhr, 3.8mi = 90c
    ride dome 2 hm- 20.06min, 7.8amph, 149mhr, 2.6mi = 163c
    total cal 613
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Those flowers are so pretty. The purple ones look so soft.

I think it was Katla who asked about surgery and his temperature. That was why our family doctor was kind of pushing the surgeon in doing it. I'm not sure if that is why he put it 'on call' or not. Maybe if the temp goes down he won't do surgery???? I am just speculating. Came home and had leftover sloppy joes. Since i am having them on half a bun and they are made with ground turkey and all that it in it is a 6 oz can of tomato paste I'm not worried about it. I should have given the left over potato chips to Christina to take home with her. The nine year old is a character. She is always the one who has money, Trinity spends hers at a store. Ellie goes to yard sales. She got this V tech learning game. You can put cartridges in it but of course for 50 cents you don't get those. She got it for the key board. She wants to learn how to type and it has a times typing test. So she was doing that all weekend. She also bought a chocolate fountain that she wants to try to make it into a fountain for their small pond on the yard. She also bought a pair of house shoes that look like a dog for Michelle who has 3 dogs. She did not look at the size. They are a medium and and Michelle is 5'11" and wears a size 11 womens.

Charlie's favorite TV station of all time is Fox news. And the Republican Ntional convention. Sometimes he is sound asleep and snoring and then he will wake up and make quite an appropriate comment to what is being said. He likes the curtains closed, the temp 74 and he either sleeps or watches Fox news. Fun time time for me.

Joyce, Indiana
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,563 Member
    Options
    PURDY FLOWERS!!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies for the daylily advice.

I will let him know that it is a go to try and transplant them. He will transport them in the current container we have them in. We purchased them end of season last year from a farm here and planted them in large containers knowing we were going to be moving and didn't want to have to dig out of the ground. He will be happy about this.

So another thing in the mini van (along with all my houseplants, suitcases, important papers, liquids the transport truck won't take, Pokey's crate and food, food cooler....hope there's room for me!

Cheri
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Karen happy birthday.

The flower pictures are beautiful.

Katla I have a friend who has used the ginger for motion sickness and she swears by it. Hope it works.

Re babble on. Nice job. It's is a reason to celebrate.

Joyce you and your DH are in my thoughts.

Hugs to those who may need them.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Mary/Janet what weight kettlebell should one start with? Do you just do the swing that was on the video? I use 6# dumb bells for all my arm exercises except curls which I can do 10# so with that in mind what weight bell should I start with? Im thinking it would be nice to alternate kettlebell & dumbbell routines.

Margaret love the flowers don't know the Prairie Flower.

Cheri going to be quite a ride south I don't think I could get my DH to transport the plants of course when we left Ohio we had a large dog & a cat, two station wagons full not an inch to spare.

GLo North Shore Ma
  • fanncy0626
    edited July 2016
    Options
    GLo- you start with what is heavy for you. Possibly go lighter at first like I did to ensure no issues. There are other swings but I only do GobletSquats and Russian Kettlebell swings, because I also weightlift and do the bench press and overhead press with that. Here is the 5 week program I do.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/5-week-whole-body-single-kettlebell-workout

Here are some of the other moves for program. The press and swing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l5qB0nILpko

GobletSquats

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cMxmJkhxNDg

Mary from Minnesota
  • debbierichardson7186
    debbierichardson7186 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Barbie, Thanks for the advice. I love bananas and peanut butter so will use that as a treat.