WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies!

For those that are taking part, informally, in the 24 week Christmas Challenge - today is the 2nd weigh in... My stats are shown below.

Show me what you have, Ladies!

STARTING WEIGHT: 244
    CURRENT WEIGHT: 243
    TOTAL LBS LOST OR GAINED (THIS WEEK): -1
    TOTAL LBS LOST OR GAINED (ALL WEEKS): -1
    GOAL WEIGHT: 220
    TOTAL LBS AWAY FROM GOAL: 23

I am currently trying to catch up on my reading between that pesky work business - I will check in later.

Hugs all round!

Re in TX
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Pat - Those lilies are such a gorgeous color. So different from the yellow and orange lilies I usually see.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Afternoon Ladies,

Melanie, I went to the gym and turned on the TV while I was riding the bike and saw the terrible events in Baton Rouge. I immediately thought of you and you saying that things had calmed down. It’s just so sad.

Charleen, what a wonderful NSV to get full well before eating all the food you put on your plate. I want that one!!!

Heather, so glad the event went well. I do hate that your DH’s sister has to keep bringing up the unpleasant subject and getting him upset. Love the picture of the Aunt.

Joyce, I do believe you or Charlie are related to my DH, who his family nicknamed “PoorDevil” because any and everything bad that can happen happens to him. I am so so sorry that ya’ll (I guess it’s actually just Charlie) are having so many problems. Sending love and support, my friend.

Kay, OMG, I can’t believe your mother said that to you. What the H@!! is wrong with these women??? Now I really know what a wonderful mother I had. She would have never said such things to me.

Heather, thanks for the Bea fix. That did cheer me up!!! What a doll.
    Pip, that was the longest post I’ve ever seen from you and I loved it. You are the bomb! bomb.gif

KarenVA, happy-birthday.gif
    Allie, glad the wedding was a success. As always, you are an angel for taking Faith and your dad. angel-3-smiley-emoticon.gif

Barbie, I hope you and Jake have a nice outing. It sounds like he is doing well. Does he still use his walker when you go out?

Glo, you are doing GREAT!!! Keep it up.

Mia, good for you on getting back to your work-outs. I would definitely take it easy until that tummy line is healed well. Ya don’t want to pop it open and have your innards spilling out!

Joyce, maybe getting the gall bladder out is the best move. I hate his bag goes so close to the belly button. Maybe they could move it while they are there? Lol Sending prayers and good thoughts for you both. ((((Hugs))))
    Janetr, I think you are doing so well. I’m just constantly amazed at you and others here. weight-lifting-emoticon.gif

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I have a meeting at the Moose tonight. I love going there but the chairs don’t do my back any favors. If the meeting runs long I often get up and stand against the back wall. So much to keep up with on the news these days and trying to keep up with everything else too. I do always think of you ladies.
    Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day! rainbow-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • debbierichardson7186
    debbierichardson7186 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Afternoon everyone.
    Went to dietitian today and have lost 2 lbs in 10 days! I have been eating between 1200 & 1500 cal per day. She says to eat at least 1800 cal, including, 200g of carbs. She is concerned because I am exhausted after 30 min of walking. It feels like I will have to ignore low calorie vegetables to get in the calories. I think I am also afraid I will not keep losing if I eat that much. Having a hard time deciding how to proceed.
    Thanks for all the support you have given me.
    Good wishes to all!
    DebbieTX
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    Janetr- I first started I did the single arm swing with a 10 pound plate from my weight lifting set. My brother told me that for our age group we should only do the double arm swing to avoid issues. I have only done the Russian kettle bell swing which is what was in the video. I may not have labeled it that at first but wanted people to know that is the one that I do. Some people that have videos out on how to do the kettle bell swing go way over threir head with it and that is not appropriate and can cause injury. At my age I definitely do not want to pull any muscles or caluse any injuries.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Joyce: I can attest that gallbladder attacks are very painful. I had my gallbladder out a number of years ago. I hope Charlie is as pleased with the outcome as I've been. I have a barely visible scar that starts an inch or so above and to the left side of my bellybutton and goes down to the bottom of my bellybutton. I was glued and taped back together without any stitches. I have been quite happy without my gallbladder. I know that Charlie's situation is medically complicated compared to mine from the past, but I hope surgery solves the problems he's been having so he can get on with enjoying life. (((HUGS)))

I just went out and bought ginger capsules and ginger candies for my upcoming air flights. I hope they work to prevent motion sickness for me! If I'm sick, oh well. I will never willingly take Dramamine again!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Pat love the lilies!

Karen Happy Birthday! :flowerforyou:

:heart: Margaret
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the birthday wishes! Had a little dinner party at my son & daughter-in-law's last night. My son mada a nostalgia meal for me, the same meal my mother made every year for me - BBQ chicken on a charcoal grill, fresh pickles, marinated potato salad, and fresh sliced ripe tomatoes.

I got my favorite organic peppermint soap and the real prize: "Kettlebell Simple & Sinister" by Pavel.

I know, I know, I'm a little strange.

B)

Karen in Virginia
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Mary, very good to know. I won't be doing any more over head swings. I for sure do not want any injuries at my age, which is a bout 10 years older than you. LOL

DJ thank you so much, I'd never have believed this myself a few years ago. :)

Janetr okc
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Joyce – Hopefully Charlie will start feeling better very soon. So are they going to operate even though he is running a temperature?

Becca – Our pool doesn’t have a deep end; but, I am constantly moving in it for a minimum of 90 minutes a day. Love hot weather because I can exercise in the pool. Over winter I have to resort to my treadmill; on sunny days will walk around the paths that DH makes for me about 1 hour and 45 minutes.
    DH is my alarm clock as well; I want ‘fresh coffee’ and if he leaves … it will either burn or turn cold and gets bitter if you put it in the microwave. At that point, I am too impatient to let it heat up slowly on the top of the stove. Otherwise, my ‘inner clock’ wakes me up at 8:15AM every time.

Pat and Mia – There is a couple in the next county that raise and sale day lilies. I could go crazy if I had enough money to buy as many fans as I could. Beautiful and some extremely expensive. I’ve got some that look exactly like those in your picture.

I'm not looking forward to either the Republican or Democrat conventions. So much 'drama' ... why can't they leave it with their "Mama"?

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Thank you for the birthday wishes! Had a little dinner party at my son & daughter-in-law's last night. My son mada a nostalgia meal for me, the same meal my mother made every year for me - BBQ chicken on a charcoal grill, fresh pickles, marinated potato salad, and fresh sliced ripe tomatoes.

I got my favorite organic peppermint soap and the real prize: "Kettlebell Simple & Sinister" by Pavel.

I know, I know, I'm a little strange.

B)

Karen in Virginia

happyyyyyyy bdayyyyyyyyyyy
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    csofled wrote: »
    Good Morning!

Posting progress on my #temperatureafghan2016

clji60k4p2gh.jpg

Quiet day here. Break from the packing for now.

From me to all of you t4624.gif!

Cheri

This is absolutely beautiful! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Katla in beautiful (and overcast) NW Oregon

purrrdddyyyyyyyy
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Lenora~ My "inner alarm clock" is about 7:30am, but it's so nice to wake up and know I can fall back asleep. Then I am up at 8:30am with a drool spot.... We mentally withdraw $46.00 a month and every quarter pay the pool fee. It definitely makes me exercise knowing that we need to get our money's worth!

I have taught my teenager to make coffee. It was that or see a kids face up in mine in the dark while he whispers, "Moooom can you make a pot of coffee for meeeee". Pretty scary to wake up to a kid staring atcha! So know he asks if he can make a pot. Our maker has an auto shut off so after an hr, it turns itself off. I don't mind microwaving it, but I know what you mean about the strange taste the microwave gives it. My first cup I usually gulp anyways!

Today I got my hair trimmed, and I am happy with it. There is a certain comfort when your hair starts looking like what your mom's hair color used to be. So I look in the mirror and see my mother. "hello there"......

I woke up the other morning with a clogged pore on my eyelid. So now my eyelid is really sore. Looks a bit like husband socked me.... It was more of a little hard bubble under the skin. Strange. I also get clear bubbles on the inside of my lower eyelid. Feels like grains of sand, and mostly go away on their own. I had surgery on my left eyeball for a pterygium. It's when your eye has a covering of tissue from the tear duct to the color of your eye. My surgery involved cutting a circle from another part of my eye (way up) and sewing it between the color of my eye and the pterygium growth. Pretty amazing things what they do. But anyway, that still gives me an itchy eye some days. And if I drink any alcohol the pterygium growth turns red, like an indicator beacon! "No I am not bleeding from my eye, I have just had a glass of wine, don't freak out".

(((hugs))))
    Becca
    Oregon
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,826 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, I skipped a bunch of posts. Got behind trying to do this on my phone. Everytime I try to post using my phone, it gets cut off.

Some good news today. I was approved for disability a couple of years ago but stopped it because I was trying to work. Since I have been terminated again, I re-applied. Today I found out that the Social Security Department has a rule that lets me re-instate disability right away. I have an appointment to fill out the paperwork next Monday and should receive my first check in August. I am eligible for Medicare as well. This takes a huge load off my mind!

I have been posting solid for about a month here and stopped Weight Watchers because I have to watch my pennies. I am losing slower, but still going in the right direction so happy about my life-style changes so far. This is not a diet, it is a life style change for me. Started in March and still going strong!

Allergies really bad today and even had to take my inhaler which I haven't used since winter. Tired now so will write more tomorrow-- or at least I have intentions too! LOL

Rita from CT
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Re forgot this was the day for stats:
    24 Week Challenge
    SW: 218
    CW: 216.5
    GW: 194
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 175

I've been interested in the sleep/lack of discussion I think it was Janetr who said she's never slept well...nor do I Janet. I have never slept more than 5-6 hours even as a teen I might sleep till 10 AM but that was because I read half the night. I never thought of it as a problem just my way...not enough hours to do all I want to do...Fitbit has my weekly average about 5.5. I'm sure not going to take anything a vitamin & low dose aspirin is enough & so far my weight loss has been respectable I think. I know a plateau is in my future since I'm down 16% from my starting weight.
    Karen in Va Happy Birthday to a fellow Cancer...sounds like yummy comfort food just made for July. I'd have to add corn on the cob!

Mary & Janet you're getting me interested in kettle bell...

Must prep our Mediterranean salad with feta, tuna, capers, artichoke hearts & red onion on a bed of romaine with a light garlic & preserved lemon vinaigrette I like to make and I'm set...Add some pita & a hard boiled & my DH is too.

GLo swimming away but not as much as Larissa on the North Shore of Ma.
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Waaaay behind, but for a good reason. New grand baby arrived on Friday. I am now on sibling babysitter duty.
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options

Rori – How do you take a ‘cat’ on a walk?
    Lenora

Lenora: DH and I were adopted by a stray cat that had been homeless for about a year. I worked with the cat's natural tendency to be a wanderer and hunter. I first trained him to be comfortable in a kitty harness (you can find them at pet store), then to trust me as his hunting partner. Mars gets to "lead" the walks, and I never know if we might be on the sidewalk, grass, on a fence, under a bush or up a tree. He gets to do a lot of outdoor cat stuff like catching mice and snakes (yes, while on leash), eating grass and sharpening claws on tree bark. He's unfazed by people, cars, dogs or lawnmowers. But if another cat turns up, look out!

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Karen – what a great story! Such a bittersweet story about the picture of your sister… HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

Glo – thanks ! amazing what $60 an hour for years in a counselors office can do for you!

Lenora – I love that I have always wanted to learn to spin yarn – Ok I am adopting that “definition” of Spinster! Also I also have thought of Pip’s spinning bike! Ok my friends we can twist any word to a good definition !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it.

Katla – do you have a Trader Joe’s near you? They sell a ginger hard candy that solves the motion sickness thing for me and a few of my friends… I am allergic to Dramamine (makes me puke – which is gross but is in a twisted way rather funny as you take it to NOT puke)

Debbie in TX - you can do a mix of low and high to get what you need…. Just keep tweaking it a little at a time and you’ll find the “sweet” spot.

So today was my first day in the garden…. I am excited, scared and overwhelmed… there is a TON of work to keep up with, my new boss (Steve) is nice but has dreams of grandeur, which I could share but I have a business to run. I did hit a home run, I brought a snack for my meeting with him and the gal I was taking over from and brought squares of my polenta/tomato tart, and found out he was gluten free, which it was! What a hit! I think this is really a 20+ hour job per week, I shared my concerns and he was really good about it. He’s pretty relaxed, which I think I’ll like. I also met Jack, Jack is a resident Jack Rabbit, he wanders around munches a little and likes to sit and watch us weed – pretty funny! I will do pictures later….

July Goals:
    2 fun things a week, Lunch with Ben, visiting with mom, Cajun food with a friend, got the job!, watched the sunrise every morning,
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday – like to hit 160 miles for the month (as of july 18 I’m at 97.9 miles)

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    Afternoon everyone.
    Went to dietitian today and have lost 2 lbs in 10 days! I have been eating between 1200 & 1500 cal per day. She says to eat at least 1800 cal, including, 200g of carbs. She is concerned because I am exhausted after 30 min of walking. It feels like I will have to ignore low calorie vegetables to get in the calories. I think I am also afraid I will not keep losing if I eat that much. Having a hard time deciding how to proceed.
    Thanks for all the support you have given me.
    Good wishes to all!
    DebbieTX

:) Debbie, I upped my calories on the days I exercised harder because I was lightheaded. Peanut butter was a good way for me to up calories in a protein filled way (and I loved peanut butter as a reward for being more active)

<3 Barbie