Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Hot topics! Sugar in fruit

Replies

• dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    dykask wrote: »
    If I were to eat a T of straight sugar I doubt it would make me hungry...

I cut more like 10 teaspoons of sugar from my diet. From about 50 grams/day to less than 10 grams/day.

I'll say it a third time, you did not just cut sugar...

I've been very clear, I initially cut deserts which was mainly ice cream. I stopped snacking then because I didn't need to but that would have been mainly nuts. Past that I then just started cutting added sugars. I really don't understand what your point or issue is.

I'm certain that for me it is the added sugar that was driving my hunger. Now I eat less and have less hunger. My diet is still reasonable sized at around 2200 kc/day.

Ok let's start with the ice cream. Ice cream is more then just sugar. Mainly, fat sugar and salt. So I will say it a 4th time, "You did NOT just cut out sugar!".

Honestly, what is the confusion here?

The only thing that is clear is you really don't know what drove your perceived hunger...

@dykask why do you keep ignoring this?

You are the ones ignoring facts. I stated many times when my hunger was improved I then did just cut sugar, only sugar and I have had further improvements. Frankly I didn't believe in sugar addiction but the absurd responses to my experience clearly indicates people are addicted to sugar. It reminds me of when my father stopped smoking in the 1960's.

Let me make it very clear. I know how my body feels, you don't. I've experimented with my diet, you haven't.

I didn't expect this result and I wasn't even trying for it. I didn't even know very much about added sugar in food when I started out. I found all of that out later when I was trying to figure out why I no longer had the crushing hunger. My only goal was to lose more weight after maintaining for a couple of years. There wasn't any agenda and I did my initial cuts more than a month before I even signed into this site. At the time I didn't even know what MFP was, it was just some box on the Garmin Connect site.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited July 2016
    Honestly, it sounds like you're conflating cravings for hyperpalatable foods (dessert) with real hunger. If I eat Cheez-Its, I crave more, even if I just had a filling meal.

^This...

No! I've dealt with the hunger for well over a decade. It has nothing to do with cravings. I didn't crave more ice cream or something else. My hunger want more real food. Hunger pains are not cravings. It is amazing to me that some people can't accept a simple fact. What makes you think you can understand the difference between hunger and cravings and I can't?

For me cutting way back on added sugar has greatly reduced my hunger between meals. Typically I don't eat until I'm completely full, so I'll feel like I could eat but don't need to. After 4 or maybe 5 hours normal type hunger starts. That is normal. What used to happen is within two hours of eating I would be feeling seriously hungry. That can't be normal but I sure many people experience it. That probably is why there is so much snacking. I no longer even have the desire to snack.

Once you've dieted down and then bulked and cut some you'll see what people are saying with this. Many of us have been through an adjustment period where we realized what we thought was hunger wasn't really hunger. It won't make sense until you experience it. It's not to knock you but to simply say it takes time to get in tune with your body when it's never really been through deprivation.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member
    edited July 2016
    Honestly, it sounds like you're conflating cravings for hyperpalatable foods (dessert) with real hunger. If I eat Cheez-Its, I crave more, even if I just had a filling meal.

^This...

No! I've dealt with the hunger for well over a decade. It has nothing to do with cravings. I didn't crave more ice cream or something else. My hunger want more real food. Hunger pains are not cravings. It is amazing to me that some people can't accept a simple fact. What makes you think you can understand the difference between hunger and cravings and I can't?

For me cutting way back on added sugar has greatly reduced my hunger between meals. Typically I don't eat until I'm completely full, so I'll feel like I could eat but don't need to. After 4 or maybe 5 hours normal type hunger starts. That is normal. What used to happen is within two hours of eating I would be feeling seriously hungry. That can't be normal but I sure many people experience it. That probably is why there is so much snacking. I no longer even have the desire to snack.

You are lost...

Just to point out, this back and forth is not to convince you. It is to protect the newbie who might come along and actually think they HAVE to eliminate sugar to succeed...
  • dykask

^This...

Once you've dieted down and then bulked and cut some you'll see what people are saying with this. Many of us have been through an adjustment period where we realized what we thought was hunger wasn't really hunger. It won't make sense until you experience it.

That is fine for you, but it isn't me. First my hunger is less than just when I maintaining. Second I know that adding sugar now causes the hunger to come back. I'm not claiming this would be the same for everyone, but it how it works for me.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member

I cut more like 10 teaspoons of sugar from my diet. From about 50 grams/day to less than 10 grams/day.

I've been very clear, I initially cut deserts which was mainly ice cream. I stopped snacking then because I didn't need to but that would have been mainly nuts. Past that I then just started cutting added sugars. I really don't understand what your point or issue is.

I'm certain that for me it is the added sugar that was driving my hunger. Now I eat less and have less hunger. My diet is still reasonable sized at around 2200 kc/day.

Ok let's start with the ice cream. Ice cream is more then just sugar. Mainly, fat sugar and salt. So I will say it a 4th time, "You did NOT just cut out sugar!".

The only thing that is clear is you really don't know what drove your perceived hunger...

You are the ones ignoring facts. I stated many times when my hunger was improved I then did just cut sugar, only sugar and I have had further improvements. Frankly I didn't believe in sugar addiction but the absurd responses to my experience clearly indicates people are addicted to sugar. It reminds me of when my father stopped smoking in the 1960's.

Let me make it very clear. I know how my body feels, you don't. I've experimented with my diet, you haven't.

I didn't expect this result and I wasn't even trying for it. I didn't even know very much about added sugar in food when I started out. I found all of that out later when I was trying to figure out why I no longer had the crushing hunger. My only goal was to lose more weight after maintaining for a couple of years. There wasn't any agenda and I did my initial cuts more than a month before I even signed into this site. At the time I didn't even know what MFP was, it was just some box on the Garmin Connect site.

Everything you cut contains fat and salt as well.
  • J72FIT

^This...

Once you've dieted down and then bulked and cut some you'll see what people are saying with this. Many of us have been through an adjustment period where we realized what we thought was hunger wasn't really hunger. It won't make sense until you experience it.

That is fine for you, but it isn't me. First my hunger is less than just when I maintaining. Second I know that adding sugar now causes the hunger to come back. I'm not claiming this would be the same for everyone, but it how it works for me.

Because of ice cream...
  • sunnybeaches105

^This...

Because of ice cream...

Because ice cream is pure sugar
  • J72FIT

^This...

You are not a special snowflake...
  • dykask

Sugar doesn't have fat and salt in it. I started by cutting desert, but when it worked so well I just cut added sugar. To do this you just leave the sugar out of the food, throw the sugar spoon away. To cut more I'll have to do food substitutions and that could involve changing other things.

Anyway explain this then, why would cutting fat reduce hunger?
  • J72FIT

^This...

Because of ice cream...

Because ice cream is pure sugar

I've been doing it wrong all this time...
  • J72FIT

Sugar doesn't have fat and salt in it. I started by cutting desert, but when it worked so well I just cut added sugar. To do this you just leave the sugar out of the food, throw the sugar spoon away. To cut more I'll have to do food substitutions and that could involve changing other things.

OMG!!! The FOODS you cut are NOT JUST SUGAR!!!!!
  • dykask

^This...

I'm not a snowflake at all. However I'm realizing there is a lot of fruitcake floating around here.
  • J72FIT

You don't get it. It's not necessarily fat, or sugar, or salt in isolation. When you combine the three the food can become hyper-palatable, hence why desserts taste so good. When you add sugar to a meal, you can make the meal hyper-palatable. You will not get the same effect eating straight sugar. It is not the sugar but the combination. Seriously, understanding this is very important...
  • sunnybeaches105

Yup. I'd draw a Venn diagram but what's the point . . .
  • dykask

You have a serious reading problem. After good results with cutting desert I then just cut sugar, only sugar. You do that by not adding sugar into the food. In my case I made oatmeal without sugar. Just sugar. Got it?
  • J72FIT

^This...

I'm not a snowflake at all. However I'm realizing there is a lot of fruitcake floating around here.

Perfect, resort to name calling. Way to further your hopeless argument...
  • sunnybeaches105

You have a serious reading problem. After good results with cutting desert I then just cut sugar, only sugar. You do that by not adding sugar into the food. In my case I made oatmeal without sugar. Just sugar. Got it?

Just added sugar . . . because it's completely different
  • J72FIT

It's not worth repeating, you are hopeless...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    On an aside, I eat Tootsie Pops to curb my hunger. If I want a snack and don't have the calories planned in, a tootsie pop lasts 15-20 minutes for 60 cals and 10gr of sugar.
  • dykask

^This...

Perfect, resort to name calling. Way to further your hopeless argument...

Read a little ... the attacks on me are pretty nutty.