Have you ever tried clean eating?

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    But why is it a bad example? What is it about being an "ingredient" that makes something bad, as opposed to exactly the same substance that is not an "ingredient"?

Genuinely confused.

It has nothing to with bad or good. One person was talking about ingredients listed on a package and the example was the chemical makeup of such an ingredient. Apples and oranges, my friend. Or perhaps I should say apples and the chemical makeup of apples.

This doesn't make any sense. If something is not safe to eat, it's not safe to eat (taking account of dosage, of course). Whether it's artificially added to something, or grows in it naturally, makes no difference at all.

The cyanide that grows in apricot stones is exactly the same as the cyanide added to someone's champagne in an Agatha Christie novel.

The curcumin added to the yellow food colouring in my baking cupboard is exactly the same as the curcumin naturally occurring in turmeric.

The ascorbic acid added to my apple juice is exactly the same as the vitamin C in the oranges in my fruit bowl.

You cannot find out if something is good or bad based on whether it has "chemicals" or "additives" (or "ingredients"). Everything is made of chemicals. Everything in the universe. If you are worried about a specific ingredient, research it. Starting with rules made up based on nothing in particular is not a good approach to healthy eating.
    Actually, there can be a difference between natural and synthetic versions of things such as ascorbic acid. http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/beware-of-ascorbic-acid-synthetic/

Useless...
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Totally clean. No processed stuff. Like they say, when you read the ingredients. "If you can't read it, don't eat it".

63A10o7.png
    I think it's pretty clear that this is an extremely poor example of what the poster meant. Nobody picks up a banana at the store and sees the individual components listed as ingredients that were added to it.

It's actually an excellent example of why saying "If you can't read it, don't eat it" is so asinine. If a consumer were to see phenylalanine listed as an ingredient in a packaged food, they would avoid if if they were following that mantra...but they'd eat it willingly, happily, and unknowingly in a banana. How does that make any sense?

It actually makes some sense. It's not as if adding any random chemical that might happen to be in a food naturally to another food that doesn't naturally contain it has no potential for problems.

I'd like to see how that happens if it's added but not if you eat a thing that has that chemical additionally to the other thing.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Totally clean. No processed stuff. Like they say, when you read the ingredients. "If you can't read it, don't eat it".

63A10o7.png
    I think it's pretty clear that this is an extremely poor example of what the poster meant. Nobody picks up a banana at the store and sees the individual components listed as ingredients that were added to it.

It's actually an excellent example of why saying "If you can't read it, don't eat it" is so asinine. If a consumer were to see phenylalanine listed as an ingredient in a packaged food, they would avoid if if they were following that mantra...but they'd eat it willingly, happily, and unknowingly in a banana. How does that make any sense?

It actually makes some sense. It's not as if adding any random chemical that might happen to be in a food naturally to another food that doesn't naturally contain it has no potential for problems.

I'd like to see how that happens if it's added but not if you eat a thing that has that chemical additionally to the other thing.

You'd like to see how what happens?
  • stevencloser
    Options
    Potential problems happening from adding a chemical to a food vs. eating a food that naturally contains it together with the other food not having that chemical.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Potential problems happening from adding a chemical to a food vs. eating a food that naturally contains it together with the other food not having that chemical.

Is it your contention then that if a chemical is safe it is always safe no matter what other chemicals it is mixed with? Or do you mean that food laws being what they are chemicals would never be added unless they were safe? Or something else?
  • stevencloser
    Options
    My contention is that I'd like to see a scenario in which a food with an additive causes "potential problems" because of interactions of the chemicals, which does not cause any "potential problems" if you eat that same food without the additive but also eat another food that naturally contains that additive.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    My contention is that I'd like to see a scenario in which a food with an additive causes "potential problems" because of interactions of the chemicals, which does not cause any "potential problems" if you eat that same food without the additive but also eat another food that naturally contains that additive.

Can we see potential problems? If we see them, wouldn't they cease to be potential?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Tam9271 wrote: »
    If I can't pronounce it on the label, then I don't eat it. Mainly stay to outside perimeter of the store now. I have however been known to breakdown and have a spaghetti and homemade meatballs

>_> Pasta...weakness is strong with this one it is.

I always find that such a weird thing to say. So... the greater the level of education, the more variety you can eat? People who have studied chemistry can eat far more things than someone who studied, say, arts? Does it mean you can't eat foreign food?

Yes, I wondered about foreign food. I have a bit of trouble getting the pronunciation of the Indian and Thai food I like just right. It would make me very sad if I couldn't eat that food until I learned to pronounce everything correctly.

Not to mention that means all blind people would starve to death. They can't read anything (assuming that like my food, yours also doesn't come with braille).

And I guess we can all eat trans fat since it's so easy to pronounce.

Probably never see "trans fat" listed as an ingredient though.

Splitting hairs...

Aren't we all?

If you think that encouraging people to become informed consumers is splitting hairs, then yes, I'll confess to splitting hairs.

How is saying trans fats are okay because it's easy to pronounce encouraging people to become informed customers?

That kind of logic is what happens when you live by the idea that if you can pronounce it, you can eat it. It's what I'm arguing against. But I think you are simply being disingenuous.

Don't let her wind you up. She's admitted in other threads that she's just here to have a good time. She's not interested in understanding, educating, or seeing anyone else's viewpoints. You'll note she only responds to people likely to engage back, ignores ridiculous stances from newer members, and often falls back to a "just asking questions"-type reasoning.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    If I can't pronounce it on the label, then I don't eat it. Mainly stay to outside perimeter of the store now. I have however been known to breakdown and have a spaghetti and homemade meatballs

I always find that such a weird thing to say. So... the greater the level of education, the more variety you can eat? People who have studied chemistry can eat far more things than someone who studied, say, arts? Does it mean you can't eat foreign food?

Yes, I wondered about foreign food. I have a bit of trouble getting the pronunciation of the Indian and Thai food I like just right. It would make me very sad if I couldn't eat that food until I learned to pronounce everything correctly.

Not to mention that means all blind people would starve to death. They can't read anything (assuming that like my food, yours also doesn't come with braille).

Splitting hairs...

Aren't we all?

If you think that encouraging people to become informed consumers is splitting hairs, then yes, I'll confess to splitting hairs.

How is saying trans fats are okay because it's easy to pronounce encouraging people to become informed customers?

That kind of logic is what happens when you live by the idea that if you can pronounce it, you can eat it. It's what I'm arguing against. But I think you are simply being disingenuous.

Don't let her wind you up. She's admitted in other threads that she's just here to have a good time. She's not interested in understanding, educating, or seeing anyone else's viewpoints. You'll note she only responds to people likely to engage back, ignores ridiculous stances from newer members, and often falls back to a "just asking questions"-type reasoning.

Yes, it is quite frustrating to read the back and forth. Let it go newbie. LOL
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

Splitting hairs...

Aren't we all?

You've summed it up nicely. It's tiresome to interact with someone who answers questions with more questions; that's schoolyard stuff. It says a lot about a person's reasoning level and ability to form and defend a coherent argument. I've seen her do her circle dance in other threads and I've drawn my own conclusions. Sometimes it's nice to give people enough rope to hang themselves though. :wink:

Now, let's talk more about that mock apple pie! I can't believe the texture would be anything but soggy.

20111110mockapplepiepriu.jpg
  • JaneSnowe
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Splitting hairs...

Aren't we all?

Yes, it is quite frustrating to read the back and forth. Let it go newbie. LOL

No worries! I'm content to let her have the last word. :smile:
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If I can't pronounce it on the label, then I don't eat it.
    YES! Lol.
    Beer, wine, steak, soda, chocolate, ice cream, oreos!!!
    Sounds perfect to me. I know we're talking about not eating items with unpronounceable individual ingredients here...I was just being equally as silly as that.

But yeah, education is the huge factor in how pronounceable something is, not a factor of what should and shouldn't be avoided when it comes to eating.

However, arsenic can also be pronounced by almost everyone... ;)

How about shampoos? What if someone cannot pronounce 'sodium laureth sulfate' or 'Sodium lauroamphoacetate', does that mean they cannot use it?
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Damn, you made me look! I wish someone would plug this into the recipe calculator (sorry, too tired today to do it myself). I remember this recipe on the back of the Ritz box many years ago but never tried it.

Filling
    2 cups water
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    2 tsp. cream of tartar
    30 Ritz Crackers
    1 ready-to-use refrigerated pie crust (1/2 of 425-g pkg.)
    1 Tbsp. lemon juice
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon
    Topping
    25 Ritz Crackers, crushed (about 1 cup)
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/3 cup non-hydrogenated margarine, melted
    2 cups Cool Whip Whipped Topping

Heat oven to 400ºF.
    Filling: Mix water, granulated sugar and cream of tartar in large saucepan. Bring to boil on medium-high heat. Add crackers; simmer on medium-low heat 5 min., stirring occasionally.
    Line 9-inch pie plate with crust as directed on package; fill with cracker mixture. Sprinkle with lemon juice and cinnamon.
    Topping: Combine all remaining ingredients except Cool Whip; sprinkle over Filling.
    Bake 15 min. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F; bake 20 min. or until golden brown. Cool. Serve topped with Cool Whip.
  • JaneSnowe
    Options
    @diannethegeek @queenliz99

PS: thanks for the good advice :blush:

For everyone else, how about a photo of a real apple pie:

aae4ea5c-8fc6-4406-8db7-c5984661a216.jpg
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options

Splitting hairs...

Aren't we all?

You've summed it up nicely. It's tiresome to interact with someone who answers questions with more questions; that's schoolyard stuff. It says a lot about a person's reasoning level and ability to form and defend a coherent argument. I've seen her do her circle dance in other threads and I've drawn my own conclusions. Sometimes it's nice to give people enough rope to hang themselves though. :wink:

Now, let's talk more about that mock apple pie! I can't believe the texture would be anything but soggy.

20111110mockapplepiepriu.jpg

I'm not gonna lie. I wish I cooked/baked because that doesn't look half bad. Plus I love Ritz crackers. :)
  • stevencloser
    Options
    For the most part, I eat clean. I quit eating processed foods completely at the beginning of this year. I don't eat raw though. But I cook everything I eat. It's all fresh or frozen veggies...steamed, baked, broiled or grilled.

I am also weaning myself off of the microwave. Hope to get that out by the end of this year.

You have a Weight Watchers frozen dinner, Cheetos, jam, low cal bread, Subway sandwich, Weight Watchers frozen ice cream, Laughing Cow cheese in your diary from the past few days.
    Not that I think there is anything wrong with that but it is contradictory to your post.

If I had a dollar for every time that happens...
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Mandygring wrote: »
    unprocessed, whole foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, and no artificial ingredients, preservatives, sugars, saturated fat, and trans fat.

I eat very much like you, but like you there are a few exceptions (chocolate and ice cream in particular!) I've lost over 80 lbs eating like this in combination with CICO. After eating this way for the last two years, I don't find it restrictive at all, I actually feel many times better than I did before changing things. (And I choose to workout to achieve the CO part of the equation.) Bottom line to answer your question, I've had fabulous results eating mainly lean meats, veg and fruit, but with minimal grains.