Have you ever tried clean eating?

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    I think @tamyena typifies the typical misunderstanding with 'clean' eating.

Fudgicles? Peanut butter and Jam? Protein powders? Ground turkey breasts and store breads?

This is what we call eating normally but within your calorie goal (some mistakenly call CICO, which is really just an equation)

(I feel bad because I don't share my diary 'cause of all the haters who just did what I did. But it proves that no one knows what 'clean' eating is....)

You are correct there because there are others who claimed it too...and have hotdogs in their diary

eat whole nutrient dense foods 80% of the time...eat other foods you like/want 20% of the time, stay in goal and don't fall for hooey.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    I think @tamyena typifies the typical misunderstanding with 'clean' eating.

Fudgicles? Peanut butter and Jam? Protein powders? Ground turkey breasts and store breads?

This is what we call eating normally but within your calorie goal (some mistakenly call CICO, which is really just an equation)

(I feel bad because I don't share my diary 'cause of all the haters who just did what I did. But it proves that no one knows what 'clean' eating is....)

I absolutely LOVE this post!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I eat clean. I quit eating processed foods completely at the beginning of this year. I don't eat raw though. But I cook everything I eat. It's all fresh or frozen veggies...steamed, baked, broiled or grilled.

I am also weaning myself off of the microwave. Hope to get that out by the end of this year.

You have a Weight Watchers frozen dinner, Cheetos, jam, low cal bread, Subway sandwich, Weight Watchers frozen ice cream, Laughing Cow cheese in your diary from the past few days.
    Not that I think there is anything wrong with that but it is contradictory to your post.

Not to mention it is going to be a lot harder to cook the WW meal without a microwave... They do have instructions for preparing in a conventional oven but I always wonder who would wait 50 minutes for one of those to cook...
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I see this thread has gone the same way every other clean eating discussion goes... A lot of people claiming to eat clean when on further examination, eat many of the same processed foods as those claiming to be flexible dieters... The obligatory definitions of "only shop the perimeter" and "don't eat anything you can't pronounce", the "banana/Apple/blueberry scary ingredient" infographic, and people who just need 2 argue no matter what.

The only difference in this thread compared to all the others is the appearance of the ritz mock Apple pie recipe. I'm pretty sure I have some ritz crackers at home and my husband is always asking me to bake him a pie, maybe I will see if he can tell the difference!

If I can find my cream of tartar, I'm making it this weekend.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Report back!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    OK, on the mock apple pie front, I found this:
    http://www.culinarylore.com/food-history:did-nabisco-invent-mock-apple-pie

Excerpt:
    Is is certainly true that Nabisco popularized the notion of a mock apple pie. However, the company did not invent the recipe. Although Nabisco Ritz crackers were introduced during the Depression, in 1934, and became very popular, it wasn't until the Second World War that the company began printing the Ritz mock apple pie recipe on the packages. Cookbooks had been printing mock apple pie recipes long before then.

The fact is that Ritz mock apple pie is derived from earlier recipes for mock apple pie, dating back to the 19th century, that used soda crackers or saltines in place of apples. Mock mince pies were made with similar ingredients: crackers, sugar, and spices. Indeed, the Ritz Cracker Mock Apple Pie was not the only such recipe that Nabisco printed on its boxes. There was also a "Mystery Torte" recipe on its boxes of Premium saltine crackers.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Now I want to know more about mystery torte!

Anyone else ever hear about vinegar pie?

http://www.annarbor.com/entertainment/food-drink/vinegar-pie---not-just-weird-its-actually-good-really/

vinegar_pie_slice-thumb-646x430-133202.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,685 Member
    Options
    Mandygring wrote: »
    unprocessed, whole foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, and no artificial ingredients, preservatives, sugars, saturated fat, and trans fat.
    Meat has saturated fat regardless of how lean you get it and fruits and vegetables have sugar. Salt is a preservative.

These are reasons why there is no definition for "clean" eating.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I have cream of tartar in the house, and really, what else is it useful for?

Absolutely intrigued by the vinegar pie, but utterly baffled by the revelation that mock apple pie predates Ritz crackers. The only explanation for that recipe that ever came close to making an ounce of sense was that it was invented to sell Ritz crackers. Now nothing about it makes any sense at all.

Have to say I'm not comfortable with people being called out about the contents of their diary. I understand the motivation, but it's not what open diaries are for and undermines the community support aspect, imo. I don't have an open diary and I am very reluctant to accept people as friends because I'm not comfortable with the idea that someone I don't know could criticise or shame what I chose to have for breakfast - and that's exactly what I see happening here.

to the bolded, snicker doodles is what cream of tartar is used for! Brown butter snicker doodles, even better!

To the bottom paragraph, I don't know that it is so much shaming of a food diary as it is pointing out the uselessness of a term like "clean eating" if people who claim they eat that way are eating processed foods like many of the rest of us.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Cream of tartar is used in peanut brittle.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have cream of tartar in the house, and really, what else is it useful for?

Absolutely intrigued by the vinegar pie, but utterly baffled by the revelation that mock apple pie predates Ritz crackers. The only explanation for that recipe that ever came close to making an ounce of sense was that it was invented to sell Ritz crackers. Now nothing about it makes any sense at all.

Have to say I'm not comfortable with people being called out about the contents of their diary. I understand the motivation, but it's not what open diaries are for and undermines the community support aspect, imo. I don't have an open diary and I am very reluctant to accept people as friends because I'm not comfortable with the idea that someone I don't know could criticise or shame what I chose to have for breakfast - and that's exactly what I see happening here.

I don't see any shaming. No one cares what people eat but if you're going to make claims about how you eat and your open diary completely belies that claim, i think it would be expected that it would be pointed out.

This.

I was one of the people who mentioned what was in diaries. I made it *very clear* I was not criticizing them for what they were eating. My whole point is they shouldn't feel shame for what they are eating even though it doesn't fit what most would consider "clean eating" or even their own definition of "clean eating".

I would never have looked at someone's diary if they hadn't made the claim. I *never* comment one someone's diary, not even people on my friend's list, unless they open it up for discussion, whether asking for advice on not losing weight, macros, or even volunteering the info on the contents of their diary.

I'm a fact checker. Make a claim, if I can verify it I will.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Cream of tartar is used in peanut brittle.

And meringue.
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'm still wanting to know if people have tried it(whatever their definition is)...not recipes for a pie I'm not gonna make hahahaha
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I'm still wanting to know if people have tried it(whatever their definition is)...not recipes for a pie I'm not gonna make hahahaha

Tried it? You don't need to eat clean(whatever that means to you) to lose weight. That is the point.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,157 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    rsleighty wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    rsleighty wrote: »
    I eat lots of fresh, one ingredient things. Cook from scratch as much as is practical . Whole grains as much as possible. But "clean" no. I enjoy an occasional diet soda, icecream when it fits into my calorie/saturated fat goals, chocolate, etc. Life should be lived, not endured. And, while I agree with the concept, I detest the term "clean eating ".

I'm always curious about statements like the bolded. They seem to be in opposition to each other, as I can't think of a single thing that I cook that only has one ingredient. Even roasted veggies, I add olive oil, salt, pepper and other seasonings. Most things that I cook have lots of ingredients, and though I don't consider myself a clean eater, I can't imagine a life without soups, stews, sauces, etc... Or how eliminating them based on the fact that they have multiple components makes me healthier...

What one ingredient things do you eat, other than maybe fruit?

Maybe I should have said "one ingredient ingredients ". Sounded too complicated

I always find this odd too, as when people ask for "clean eating" cookbooks (which if you mean just cooking from whole foods is basically every cookbook I have). When I cook from scratch, of course I typically use single ingredient, ingredients. I really don't think doing the semi-homemade (forget that woman's name, Sandra Lee?) is what most people think of re cooking. I think of roast veg with olive oil and salt (and maybe other seasonings), cook meat, cook starch side. If doing something more elaborate, it's still single ingredient ingredients for the most part (unless something like pasta which really is just flour and water and I could make at home but what difference does it make?). I'm always puzzled how it's assumed other people cook if not like this. Of course, I also don't think using something processed like pasta or flour or olive oil somehow makes my food less worth eating, so maybe we aren't on the same page.

Oh I have a bookshelf full of cookbooks purchased from schools, churches or charity organizations that are filled with recipes that include ingredients that are not single ingredient ingredients.

Casseroles that use frozen hashbrowns or corn flakes. Numerous recipes that call for Cheez Whiz or Velveeta, canned cream of <something> soup, or sausage. Desserts that use packaged cookies, cake mixes, pudding or Jell-O.

I know such cookbooks exist--I love weird cookbooks and have a few Iowa church cookbook from the '20s or some such, as well as a cookbook based on food in books by James Joyce, LOL and a ton of other weird things--but they aren't the main common cookbooks, IME. The idea that you have to seek out "clean eating" cookbooks is odd.

I don't know what is meant by "main common cookbooks" but my point was that a lot of people cook with ingredients that aren't single ingredient ingredients and wouldn't normally be considered clean. Cookbooks such as those from churches and schools are compiled from recipes parents, members and students regularly make.

Bittman, Julia Child, stuff like that.

Those product-based recipes are typically from the back of the product, not a standard cookbook.

Maybe I'm naive, but most people I know primarily cook using whole ingredients, not Ritz crackers. They will also use convenience foods on occasion (or even regularly for lunch), sure, but I find it odd that some seem to think that normal cooking, cooking from whole foods, is something special and different that needs a self-congratulatory name. I just think of it as cooking.

Speaking of that Ritz cracker thing ... there's a pie that is, apparently, made from Ritz crackers.

Evidently it is apple flavoured and I've heard you buy a pie shell, a package of the cheapest Ritz crackers (or look-alikes) that you can find, and the cheapest sugar laden apple beverage that you can find. You soak the Ritz crackers in the apple beverage, then plop the whole mess into the pie shell, and maybe add some more sugar and cinnamon and bake it.

It's supposed to taste just like apple pie ... without all the hassle of cutting up fresh apples.

Even though I've heard about this pie from several people, and I'm told it is a poor person's alternative to buying fresh produce, I can't get the word "WHY???" out of my head.

Oh yeah, that recipe used to be on every Ritz cracker box (maybe still is). I've never known anyone that actually made it though.

Sadly ... I did know some who made it. In fact, I know someone who made it in the last year or so!!

Did you taste it? I've always been curious. Seems like it would have to be salty since the crackers are fairly salty.

No, I've never tried it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,157 Member
    Options

Tried what?