Have you ever tried clean eating?

Options

Replies

• JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I have cream of tartar in the house, and really, what else is it useful for?

Absolutely intrigued by the vinegar pie, but utterly baffled by the revelation that mock apple pie predates Ritz crackers. The only explanation for that recipe that ever came close to making an ounce of sense was that it was invented to sell Ritz crackers. Now nothing about it makes any sense at all.

Cream of tartar adds a bit of acid to things that might benefit from it. For instance, it helps whipped egg whites hold their peak.

The link jruzer posted explains why mock apple pie became a thing.

http://www.culinarylore.com/food-history:did-nabisco-invent-mock-apple-pie

I thought it made a lot of sense. Two hundred years ago, apples weren't available year-round; plus, it makes the point that baked apples in themselves don't have a strong flavor. Apple pie is all about the spices, which is why a mock apple pie could have a similar flavor. I still can't imagine the texture being right, though. :s
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Mandygring wrote: »
    I'm still wanting to know if people have tried it(whatever their definition is)...not recipes for a pie I'm not gonna make hahahaha

I would like to try it but i already know I'd fail. I couldn't give up yogurt, cottage cheese, bacon, protein powder, peanut butter, cereal etc etc

To me, clean eating means consuming nothing but meat, veggies, fruit, nuts and seeds. And what about store bought milk, is this ok to drink if one is eating clean?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I'm still wanting to know if people have tried it(whatever their definition is)...not recipes for a pie I'm not gonna make hahahaha

there are those here who have indicated they are doing it now and those who have said yes but it didn't stick.
    I have cream of tartar in the house, and really, what else is it useful for?

Absolutely intrigued by the vinegar pie, but utterly baffled by the revelation that mock apple pie predates Ritz crackers. The only explanation for that recipe that ever came close to making an ounce of sense was that it was invented to sell Ritz crackers. Now nothing about it makes any sense at all.

Have to say I'm not comfortable with people being called out about the contents of their diary. I understand the motivation, but it's not what open diaries are for and undermines the community support aspect, imo. I don't have an open diary and I am very reluctant to accept people as friends because I'm not comfortable with the idea that someone I don't know could criticise or shame what I chose to have for breakfast - and that's exactly what I see happening here.

I don't see any shaming. No one cares what people eat but if you're going to make claims about how you eat and your open diary completely belies that claim, i think it would be expected that it would be pointed out.

and this...if someone claims to be eating clean and says "no processed foods" and there is a hotdog logged...yah it will get pointed out.

But this is why I don't believe anyone when they say they eat "clean"...you can't follow the definition given here ever...it's impossible...processed foods aren't just hotdogs...it's applesauce, it's breads, it's whole grain whatever.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of clean food, but I do enjoy processed food daily (peanut butter, yogurt, etc). But the vast majority could likely be "clean" at least by some definitions.

But, when people ask me how I eat to lose weight, I yell them I eat foods that I enjoy in portions that fill my daily calories.

I've never understood the need to label yourself as anything. Just eat your food, and eyes on your own plate.

Your food is not better than mine; mine isn't better than yours.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yes -- I gently questioned the poster too, and I was not judging at all. My intent was to point out that obviously there was some disconnect about the term "processed." I find it extremely confusing when people claim to not eat processed foods and 90% of their diary is processed foods (far more than I've ever eaten, and I don't eat clean, although once upon a time I did something similar without using the term). I think a problem with communication on MFP is that some people seem to think processed means something different than it does, but I don't quite get what, since in the latest example many of the foods were even highly or ultra processed.

This is relevant since if someone says "I don't eat processed food" meaning "I don't eat fast food" or "I don't eat premade meals that are unhealthy in my view, although I do eat the WW ones" or some such, no wonder they make weird assumptions about how the rest of us who admit to eating processed foods eat. It's helpful to clear up the misunderstandings.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

As I stated before, when there is a universal definition I will let you know. IMO there is no such thing so this thread is pointless...
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I eat a lot of clean food, but I do enjoy processed food daily (peanut butter, yogurt, etc). But the vast majority could likely be "clean" at least by some definitions.

But, when people ask me how I eat to lose weight, I yell them I eat foods that I enjoy in portions that fill my daily calories.

I've never understood the need to label yourself as anything. Just eat your food, and eyes on your own plate.

Giggle. Are they deaf?

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

really?! why?!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    ^^^This...
    ^^^This...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Giggle. Are they deaf?

Gah. Phone.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

MY peanut butter is better than YOUR peanut butter, it's ORGANIC.

:)

......so are my Oreos...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Tried clean eating? I have (said so a few pages back and provided my definition).

I still eat relatively clean but eating only clean foods was unsustainable for me, though it was fun for a while and helped change my tastes for the better I think. But eating 100% clean is unnecessary for health and that's what I really care about.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know if I have tried clean eating, as I still don't understand what it is. All I've read here are some vague rules that make no sense. If I did want to try it, I have no idea how I would go about it, or how I would even know if I was sticking to it or not. The truth behind the mocking is that I and others genuinely are not able to make sense of what this is all about.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I always eat clean, unless I'm having a cheat day. Even then, I don't eat past 7 PM, because then it all goes to fat.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    I always eat clean, unless I'm having a cheat day. Even then, I don't eat past 7 PM, because then it all goes to fat.

I always wondered how that works...so if I travel to the west and the time zones change for the better I can eat later, but if I travel east I'm screwed.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

What time zone? I mean it's 9.22am here but 7.22 pm in New York. So if i eat now, will it go to fat because i know what time it is somewhere else?

Is working night shift why i got fat?
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    The only thing I eat that is processed is bacon, tomato purée and tinned tomatoes. I buy raw ingredients to make everything from scratch. Oh, and kippers, love those bad boys.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Your sarcasm is lacking a winking emoji, right?