Have you ever tried clean eating?

Options

Replies

• ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options

Not an ill-informed opinion, no. Not on a discussion board focused on nutrition and exercise. Many of us actually benefit from scientific development in these

ETA: Not at all surprised you didn't read.

Many of us? 'Us' being the elite that can legitimately have ill informed opinions such as not being surprised I didn't read the link?
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    A blanket rule is a simple method for people wishing to not ingest added chemicals.

Troll?

Just challenging your pretty silly statement about chemicals, trying to make you actually think!

You seriously seem to be all over the place. Processed is ok at home but not in a factory, chemicals are bad if added but not if already in the food you eat.

Is vitamin C good if it's already there but bad if added as an added ingredient called ascorbic acid?

Yes, you will die a thousand deaths if you eat vit c as ascorbic acid.
  • Ty_Floyd
    Ty_Floyd Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I'll do it for a period of time as a metabolic reset.

Ok I'll play along. What is a "metabolic reset"?

Reverse dieting.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

Not an ill-informed opinion, no. Not on a discussion board focused on nutrition and exercise. Many of us actually benefit from scientific development in these

ETA: Not at all surprised you didn't read.

Many of us? 'Us' being the elite that can legitimately have ill informed opinions such as not being surprised I didn't read the link?

The ones who can and do read informed studies performed, and opinions written, by those with PhDs and applicable experience. The ones who know better than to believe uneducated idiots like The Food Babe.
  • Ty_Floyd
    Options
    Clean eater here with Organic and non GMO foods. Including my protein supp.
    Great results, I feel good all the time and I am hardly sick.
    My recovery is so much quicker and with lots of energy and strength in work-outs.
    I find that lean muscle growth is slower though, so be warned. I think its due to growth hormones they put in foods today. I could be wrong.

I think you are incorrect there. Growth hormone has no effect when ingested as it cannot survive the digestion process.
  • Ty_Floyd
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Totally clean. No processed stuff. Like they say, when you read the ingredients. "If you can't read it, don't eat it".

63A10o7.png
    I think it's pretty clear that this is an extremely poor example of what the poster meant. Nobody picks up a banana at the store and sees the individual components listed as ingredients that were added to it.

It's actually an excellent example of why saying "If you can't read it, don't eat it" is so asinine. If a consumer were to see phenylalanine listed as an ingredient in a packaged food, they would avoid if if they were following that mantra...but they'd eat it willingly, happily, and unknowingly in a banana. How does that make any sense?

Because nature put it inside the banana?
  • Ty_Floyd
    Options
    But why is it a bad example? What is it about being an "ingredient" that makes something bad, as opposed to exactly the same substance that is not an "ingredient"?

Genuinely confused.

It has nothing to with bad or good. One person was talking about ingredients listed on a package and the example was the chemical makeup of such an ingredient. Apples and oranges, my friend. Or perhaps I should say apples and the chemical makeup of apples.

This doesn't make any sense. If something is not safe to eat, it's not safe to eat (taking account of dosage, of course). Whether it's artificially added to something, or grows in it naturally, makes no difference at all.

The cyanide that grows in apricot stones is exactly the same as the cyanide added to someone's champagne in an Agatha Christie novel.

The curcumin added to the yellow food colouring in my baking cupboard is exactly the same as the curcumin naturally occurring in turmeric.

The ascorbic acid added to my apple juice is exactly the same as the vitamin C in the oranges in my fruit bowl.

You cannot find out if something is good or bad based on whether it has "chemicals" or "additives" (or "ingredients"). Everything is made of chemicals. Everything in the universe. If you are worried about a specific ingredient, research it. Starting with rules made up based on nothing in particular is not a good approach to healthy eating.

Apple seeds contain arsenic, yet I have been happily eating them my entire life. But that doesn't mean the arsenic extracted from apple seeds would be safe to eat if it were 'artificially' mixed into another food.
    Over thousands of years our species has learned which foods from nature are safe/good for us. We have no such knowledge about the Frankenstein foods of today.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    Ty_Floyd wrote: »
    But why is it a bad example? What is it about being an "ingredient" that makes something bad, as opposed to exactly the same substance that is not an "ingredient"?

Genuinely confused.

It has nothing to with bad or good. One person was talking about ingredients listed on a package and the example was the chemical makeup of such an ingredient. Apples and oranges, my friend. Or perhaps I should say apples and the chemical makeup of apples.

This doesn't make any sense. If something is not safe to eat, it's not safe to eat (taking account of dosage, of course). Whether it's artificially added to something, or grows in it naturally, makes no difference at all.

The cyanide that grows in apricot stones is exactly the same as the cyanide added to someone's champagne in an Agatha Christie novel.

The curcumin added to the yellow food colouring in my baking cupboard is exactly the same as the curcumin naturally occurring in turmeric.

The ascorbic acid added to my apple juice is exactly the same as the vitamin C in the oranges in my fruit bowl.

You cannot find out if something is good or bad based on whether it has "chemicals" or "additives" (or "ingredients"). Everything is made of chemicals. Everything in the universe. If you are worried about a specific ingredient, research it. Starting with rules made up based on nothing in particular is not a good approach to healthy eating.

Apple seeds contain arsenic, yet I have been happily eating them my entire life. But that doesn't mean the arsenic extracted from apple seeds would be safe to eat if it were 'artificially' mixed into another food.
    Over thousands of years our species has learned which foods from nature are safe/good for us. We have no such knowledge about the Frankenstein foods of today.

So dosage matters. Pretty sure we all agree on that.
  • Ty_Floyd
    edited July 2016
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Mandygring wrote: »
    I'm still wanting to know if people have tried it(whatever their definition is)...not recipes for a pie I'm not gonna make hahahaha

Tried it? You don't need to eat clean(whatever that means to you) to lose weight. That is the point.

But that was not the question the OP asked. In fact she made specific reference to the fact that she feels better. And that, surely, *is* the point. There was no mention in her question of losing weight.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Mandygring wrote: »
    I'm still wanting to know if people have tried it(whatever their definition is)...not recipes for a pie I'm not gonna make hahahaha

Tried it? You don't need to eat clean(whatever that means to you) to lose weight. That is the point.

But that was not the question the OP asked. In fact she made specific reference to the fact that she feels better. And that, surely, *is* the point. There was no mention in her question of losing weight.

How do you know though? She asked for results. Quite vague, don't you think?
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

LOL I know. I was also kinda of thinking about lazy readers who will see a long word and just not bother.

Also, the internet can be pretty helpful in looking up information. So if someone is trying to stay away from added "bad" chemicals and they see something on a list that they have no idea what it is, isn't it better to educate themselves instead of assuming it's bad because they can't sound a word out?

Well, yes of course. I'd agree with that.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Genuinely confused.

Arsenic is arsenic, regardless if it's in an apple seed or used in an Agatha Christie style murder. The difference being that there's not enough arsenic in a normally ingested amount of apple seeds to harm you.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Totally clean. No processed stuff. Like they say, when you read the ingredients. "If you can't read it, don't eat it".

63A10o7.png
    I think it's pretty clear that this is an extremely poor example of what the poster meant. Nobody picks up a banana at the store and sees the individual components listed as ingredients that were added to it.

It's actually an excellent example of why saying "If you can't read it, don't eat it" is so asinine. If a consumer were to see phenylalanine listed as an ingredient in a packaged food, they would avoid if if they were following that mantra...but they'd eat it willingly, happily, and unknowingly in a banana. How does that make any sense?

Because nature put it inside the banana?

With that type of logic we wouldn't eat olive oil. Since nature put it inside olives, that must be the only safe way to eat it.

• ivanfawcettgibson
    Options

It is, you're right.
    As far as I can see it's on the lines of what I'm saying. I eat plenty of processed foods, bacon, olive oil, coconut oil, cream, milk, cheese. I just think it's better to make your own coleslaw than to eat a chemical shitstorm shop bought product. For some reason, I'm wrong and it doesn't make sense.
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    Options
    https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Morrisons-Classic-Coleslaw/210784011?from=search&tags=|105651&param=coleslaw&parentContainer=SEARCHcoleslaw

That's a lot of ingredients for Mayo, cabbage and carrots.

Here's the Mayo...
    https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Morrisons-Mayonnaise/122307011?from=search&tags=|105651&param=mayonnaise&parentContainer=SEARCHmayonnaise

I'm speculating that they're using their own Mayo for the coleslaw. Ingredients are down the page.

What's the love canal?
    And, who is the food babe sunnybeaches mentioned?
  • SaliDale
    SaliDale Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have been eating clean for years. I so eat the odd processed food like product now and then. And yes I am healthier for it.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Morrisons-Classic-Coleslaw/210784011?from=search&tags=|105651&param=coleslaw&parentContainer=SEARCHcoleslaw

That's a lot of ingredients for Mayo, cabbage and carrots.

Here's the Mayo...
    https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Morrisons-Mayonnaise/122307011?from=search&tags=|105651&param=mayonnaise&parentContainer=SEARCHmayonnaise

I'm speculating that they're using their own Mayo for the coleslaw. Ingredients are down the page.

What's the love canal?
    And, who is the food babe sunnybeaches mentioned?

I looked at the ingredients list. Nothing scary there, not sure what you'd think would make it bad for you.

The Love Canal was a toxic waste dumping scandal back in the '70s in the US.

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    That depends on the definition. Several years ago, I suffered from a long undiagnosed/misdiagnosed immune disorder related to my digestive system, and that made me miserable. A doctor finally put me on an elimination diet to find out who the culprits were. At the beginning, before I was able to add a bunch of stuff back, I could eat hardly anything, and what little I could eat was all fresh, unprocessed food. I'd say that's the closest I got. So yes, clean eating worked for me. It solved my problem - most processed foods and fast foods contain the ingredients that make me sick, so I "eat clean" and stay happy and healthy. But my problem is a specific, health related one. Not sure if it would make a difference for the average person. I'm so lazy that I would never limit myself to clean eating if I didn't have to... :)
  • sunnybeaches105
    edited July 2016
    Options

It is, you're right.
    As far as I can see it's on the lines of what I'm saying. I eat plenty of processed foods, bacon, olive oil, coconut oil, cream, milk, cheese. I just think it's better to make your own coleslaw than to eat a chemical shitstorm shop bought product. For some reason, I'm wrong and it doesn't make sense.

There is a balance, you're right. The issue is that it's not saying you shouldn't eat what you can't pronounce. The focus is on macro and micro nutrients. Not sure what chemicals you're concerned with. If you're thinking artificial trans fats then ok, but most of those unpronounceable chemicals are fine in foods as made available.