Have you ever tried clean eating?

Options

Replies

• ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I quoted your post because I was responding specifically to you and what you wrote.

It's good to know that me being knowledgeable about pronouncing words makes all that I eat "clean". Thanks Sesame Street!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chHz3bo3f1U

Well no, you actually weren't. Your response made about zero sense regarding what I wrote.
    Way to go at being able to pronounce <<slow clap>>
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    Bollocks! I forgot about cheese... I eat a lot of that too. That's a process, and cream. I eat a lot of processed food.

This is the thing right here. There is nothing inherently wrong with processed foods. If you have a qualm about an ingredient that you aren't familiar with, then look it up and find out what it is and what it does. If you still would rather not ingest it, then at least you have a solid reason for it instead of a silly blanket rule about not eating things based on how hard it is to pronounce. Blanket rules are for people who cannot reason for themselves.

I didn't say there was.
    I don't have qualms about ingredients.
    Way to state the obvious.
    I see what you mean, because where some would struggle with Sodium chloride another May have no issues reading, pronouncing or eating sodium hexametaphosphate.
    A blanket rule is a simple method for people wishing to not ingest added chemicals.
    Most whole foods will have less additives to make it edible.

I'm not sure why folk appear to think I need advice, I was only sharing what I thought. My opinion - not fact or a request for help.
    • I didn't say you did.
    • General "you" [Edit: but wait, you appear to have a qualm about MSG]
    • You'd be surprised.
    • Yay! We agree!
    • Disagree. Salt is a chemical. The advice is too vague to be practical.
    • True.

I have no problem with anyone who is trying to improve their diet the best way they know how, lest I give the impression that I think it's ok to eat only cookies and beer. But you and I are not the only ones reading this. I have in mind newbies, lurkers, and future readers. I, too, am only sharing what I think.
      *you implied *Choosing not to eat MSG does not make it a qualm. I understand it, I don't need it, I don't weep in a corner when I see it in an ingredients list. *I really wouldn't *I'm not trying to disagree, why is it such a big deal that folk have to agree or not? You may not agree with the weather, will it change it? No. *Very clever, think of it this way; sodium chloride is usually listed as salt in an ingredients list. Sodium hexametaphosphate's common name is...
    That's the point, provoking thought into what people buy in the shop. Take coleslaw: you buy the stuff in the shop and there's a chemical shitstorm on the ingredients list. Make it at home from scratch, mayo included, and I'd say one has a better food source. Yeah, it may spoil quicker, but you learn to make the right amount so it won't get wasted.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    The only thing I eat that is processed is bacon, tomato purée and tinned tomatoes. I buy raw ingredients to make everything from scratch. Oh, and kippers, love those bad boys.

See, this is exactly what I don't get. You consider tinned tomatoes to be "processed" when all that's been done to them is skinning, cooking and sealing in a tin, but you don't consider your own home cooking to  be "processing", even though you have done much more processing to make your meal than the factory ever did to the tomatoes.

It's like people are acting on this idea of what is or isn't "processed" based on some completely arbitrary definition, which is OK, I guess, except that people act as if it's totally obvious that their home made pizza is acceptable when an identical frozen one isn't, and expect it to be obvious to everyone else as well.

If tinned tomatoes are processed, what about flour? What about olive oil or butter or maple syrup? What about honey, even? The bees put A LOT of processing into that!

It frustrates me, not because it doesn't make sense, but because people keep acting as if it does.

Tinned tomatoes have gone through a process to get them into a tin can.
    Second point. Home cooking is cooking, not processing for sale.
    I have to add things to my processed list... Coconut oil, olive oil and minced meat oh and pork rinds.

I think the point is that there are more odd chemicals in a bought, frozen pizza than there would be in a home made pizza. Not that I eat them anymore, but whenever I made pizza I didn't put MSG or a *kitten* load of sugar in the dough.

I'd say, if you can't pronounce the ingredients on the packet, or have to google them, you shouldn't be eating them unless they're prescribed.

Good thing I have graduate degrees and am well spoken.
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    edited July 2016
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

If people can't pronounce hexametaphosphate, even slowly, they clearly should invest in Hooked on Phonics. I hear there's an app for that.

People can make blanket statements all they want but it doesn't change the fact that just because they can't pronounce something that it's bad for them.

It was just an example.

Maybe it's not bad for them, maybe it is. How would they know if they don't know what it is? This is all I'm trying to convey.
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    Options
    [

Excellent contribution, you must be so proud.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Bollocks! I forgot about cheese... I eat a lot of that too. That's a process, and cream. I eat a lot of processed food.

This is the thing right here. There is nothing inherently wrong with processed foods. If you have a qualm about an ingredient that you aren't familiar with, then look it up and find out what it is and what it does. If you still would rather not ingest it, then at least you have a solid reason for it instead of a silly blanket rule about not eating things based on how hard it is to pronounce. Blanket rules are for people who cannot reason for themselves.

I didn't say there was.
    I see what you mean, because where some would struggle with Sodium chloride another May have no issues reading, pronouncing or eating sodium hexametaphosphate.
    A blanket rule is a simple method for people wishing to not ingest added chemicals.

I'm not sure why folk appear to think I need advice, I was only sharing what I thought. My opinion - not fact or a request for help.
    • I didn't say you did.
    • You'd be surprised.
    • Yay! We agree!
    • True.

I have no problem with anyone who is trying to improve their diet the best way they know how, lest I give the impression that I think it's ok to eat only cookies and beer. But you and I are not the only ones reading this. I have in mind newbies, lurkers, and future readers. I, too, am only sharing what I think.
      *you implied *Choosing not to eat MSG does not make it a qualm. I understand it, I don't need it, I don't weep in a corner when I see it in an ingredients list. *I really wouldn't *I'm not trying to disagree, why is it such a big deal that folk have to agree or not? You may not agree with the weather, will it change it? No. *Very clever, think of it this way; sodium chloride is usually listed as salt in an ingredients list. Sodium hexametaphosphate's common name is...
    That's the point, provoking thought into what people buy in the shop. Take coleslaw: you buy the stuff in the shop and there's a chemical shitstorm on the ingredients list. Make it at home from scratch, mayo included, and I'd say one has a better food source. Yeah, it may spoil quicker, but you learn to make the right amount so it won't get wasted.

We could go back and forth all day, I'm really not interested in that or in who is right or wrong. Maybe I misunderstood your other posts, but when your first one a page ago was about the only three processed foods you eat, it sounded like you avoid processed foods aside from a few exceptions. Then you realized that you do actually eat several processed foods, at which point I thought we were on the same page and so added my thoughts on why eating according to an oversimplified mantra is silly. Now we're mortal enemies.

Just kidding. :smiley:

Like I said, I have no problem with people trying to improve what they eat in the way they understand; but I think it's better to turn it into a learning process instead of sticking to a "rule" that leaves no room for one's own thinking ability.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    [

Excellent contribution, you must be so proud.

Spoken like a newbie with a head full of pseudoscience. You're too stubborn to listen to good advice so sarcasm was appropriate.

If you want to actually learn about nutrition check out what Eric Helms, Alan Aragon, Lyle McDonald and their peers have to say. Otherwise keep pretending like you know something.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,644 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

If people can't pronounce hexametaphosphate, even slowly, they clearly should invest in Hooked on Phonics. I hear there's an app for that.

People can make blanket statements all they want but it doesn't change the fact that just because they can't pronounce something that it's bad for them.

It was just an example.

Maybe it's not bad for them, maybe it is. How would they know if they don't know what it is? This is all I'm trying to convey.

LOL I know. I was also kinda of thinking about lazy readers who will see a long word and just not bother.

Also, the internet can be pretty helpful in looking up information. So if someone is trying to stay away from added "bad" chemicals and they see something on a list that they have no idea what it is, isn't it better to educate themselves instead of assuming it's bad because they can't sound a word out?

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

I didn't say there was.

Is there a distinction between added chemicals and chemicals that happen to be the building blocks of everything, including every food and including you and me?

Do you wish to avoid all these chemicals in a banana? Unprocessed, single ingredient, nothing added, nothing taken away......
    nz68br7hrzv7.jpg
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    Options

I didn't say there was.

• I didn't say you did.
    • You'd be surprised.
    • Yay! We agree!
    • True.

We could go back and forth all day, I'm really not interested in that or in who is right or wrong. Maybe I misunderstood your other posts, but when your first one a page ago was about the only three processed foods you eat, it sounded like you avoid processed foods aside from a few exceptions. Then you realized that you do actually eat several processed foods, at which point I thought we were on the same page and so added my thoughts on why eating according to an oversimplified mantra is silly. Now we're mortal enemies.

Just kidding. :smiley:

Like I said, I have no problem with people trying to improve what they eat in the way they understand; but I think it's better to turn it into a learning process instead of sticking to a "rule" that leaves no room for one's own thinking ability.
    No, it was a slightly tongue in cheek comment to say that while there are a lot of processed foods that I'd never eat, a lot of the foods I eat are processed. If that makes sense.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    Options

Spoken like a newbie with a head full of pseudoscience. You're too stubborn to listen to good advice so sarcasm was appropriate.

If you want to actually learn about nutrition check out what Eric Helms, Alan Aragon, Lyle McDonald and their peers have to say. Otherwise keep pretending like you know something.

Such a way of edifying and encouraging those beneath your magnificent intellect.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

Such a way of edifying and encouraging those beneath your magnificent intellect.

Did you read the link I posted? You would benefit by reading it. I'm actually trying to help you, but I can't do that if you won't read and refuse to get your ego out of the way.
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    Options

Did you read the link I posted? You would benefit by reading it. I'm actually trying to help you, but I can't do that if you won't read and refuse to get your ego out of the way.

No, I didn't. I don't know why you presume I need help.
    Can't someone have an opinion without being jumped upon? I'm not interested in clean eating. My first post, as I mentioned, was a little tongue in cheek. I eat lots of processed foods.
  • sunnybeaches105
    edited July 2016
    Options

No, I didn't. I don't know why you presume I need help.
    Can't someone have an opinion without being jumped upon? I'm not interested in clean eating. My first post, as I mentioned, was a little tongue in cheek. I eat lots of processed foods.

Not an ill-informed opinion, no. Not on a discussion board focused on nutrition and exercise. Many of us actually benefit from scientific development in these areas.

You're awfully sensitive to sarcasm for a guy trying to be "tongue in cheek."

ETA: Not at all surprised you didn't read.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

I didn't say there was.

Is there a distinction between added chemicals and chemicals that happen to be the building blocks of everything, including every food and including you and me?

Do you wish to avoid all these chemicals in a banana? Unprocessed, single ingredient, nothing added, nothing taken away......
    nz68br7hrzv7.jpg

Here we go. The trolls are out.

Troll?

Just challenging your pretty silly statement about chemicals, trying to make you actually think!

You seriously seem to be all over the place. Processed is ok at home but not in a factory, chemicals are bad if added but not if already in the food you eat.

Is vitamin C good if it's already there but bad if added as an added ingredient called ascorbic acid?

• ivanfawcettgibson
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    LOL.
    Have you read through the entire thread? Maybe instead of getting so defensive and resorting to name calling you should try going back through the entire thread. Many of the points you tried to make were discussed earlier.
    I tried going back, but I found it a struggle.