Have you ever tried clean eating?

Options

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I feel I should add that I am completely in favour of home cooking, but that's because home cooked meals often have more fruit and veg, more meat, and less cheap filler tarted up with salt and sugar - so that's more protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals, and so home cooked meals TEND to be higher quality, more nutritious and taste better - but it doesn't always follow.

Some premade food is as good as you can make at home or better, but tends to be far more expensive than the home made version. So home cooking gives you higher quality food for a lower cost. It's not because of some magic quality of being "unprocessed". My home made bolognese sauce has had a lot of processing by the time it gets onto the plate.

There are also, of course, some premade foods (crisps, biscuits, instant noodles) that are processed on a specific way so as to give max calories for minimum nutrition. But I can make this kind of thing at home, too, and the fact it's made from scratch doesn't make it any less trashy!
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    The only thing I eat that is processed is bacon, tomato purée and tinned tomatoes. I buy raw ingredients to make everything from scratch. Oh, and kippers, love those bad boys.

See, this is exactly what I don't get. You consider tinned tomatoes to be "processed" when all that's been done to them is skinning, cooking and sealing in a tin, but you don't consider your own home cooking to  be "processing", even though you have done much more processing to make your meal than the factory ever did to the tomatoes.

It's like people are acting on this idea of what is or isn't "processed" based on some completely arbitrary definition, which is OK, I guess, except that people act as if it's totally obvious that their home made pizza is acceptable when an identical frozen one isn't, and expect it to be obvious to everyone else as well.

If tinned tomatoes are processed, what about flour? What about olive oil or butter or maple syrup? What about honey, even? The bees put A LOT of processing into that!

It frustrates me, not because it doesn't make sense, but because people keep acting as if it does.

Tinned tomatoes have gone through a process to get them into a tin can.
    Second point. Home cooking is cooking, not processing for sale.
    I have to add things to my processed list... Coconut oil, olive oil and minced meat oh and pork rinds.

I think the point is that there are more odd chemicals in a bought, frozen pizza than there would be in a home made pizza. Not that I eat them anymore, but whenever I made pizza I didn't put MSG or a *kitten* load of sugar in the dough.

I'd say, if you can't pronounce the ingredients on the packet, or have to google them, you shouldn't be eating them unless they're prescribed.
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I agree and I think many of the people commenting in this thread would too. The other pet peeve of mine is that "eating clean" often has a tinge of moral superiority, as if those who do not claim to eat this way are "eating dirty" and it is often implied that we don't care about nutrition or health, that people who don't "eat clean" are eating nothing but donuts and Doritos...

It is perplexing to say the least...

People think I eat dirty because I invest a shed load of fat a day - and we all know how bad for you that is! Weird that I have the lowest BMI in the house and I'm not the youngest.
  • Taylorgo90
    Taylorgo90 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    not yet
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I think we are getting closer to reaching a definition. Basically, if you change something (via chopping, cooking, baking, pickling..etc) then slap a price tag on it, it becomes processed. If you do the same thing at home but don't sell the stuff, it's not processed.

I need to find that pizza which has a *kitten* load of sugar in the dough. Probably a sweet pizza, like a fruit pizza or something? (a small amount of sugar is used for proofing in most types of dough), or do you mean.. this?
    The_Roly-Poly_Pudding_Tom_Kitten.jpg

You know, I just thought of something. When I lived in Iowa, you could drive out to the Amish communities and buy their preserves, pies, cookies, bread, etc.. I don't know anybody who would consider the Amish "processed", but since I've bought food from them, that would make it "processed" and therefore "unclean".
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    @zyxst oh I needed that laugh this morning LOL

I have never tried the "clean" diet as written about in books but I'm currently on a high fat lower carb diet. I don't eat grains except maybe the rare serving of white rice when I get sushi (less than 1 time a month). I have gerd/ibs and a swallowing problem. This is helping me :) it's not the diet for everyone though.

At the end of the day you eat the diet that makes you feel good and you can sustain long term and keep the weight off. Very simple. (and trust me I've done them all from SAD to raw vegan to paleo and everything in the middle.)
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    Options
    I'm sorry, why have you quoted my post in your post? Baffled.

I made a post earlier, I listed the things I eat which are processed. Olive oil is a process wherever it's done, is it not? I eat it, a lot of it.

IMO, if you make things from scratch it's not going to have unpronounceable chemicals in it.

I had a quick google:
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/processed-food-definition-2074.html
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It would be nice if we could one day move beyond the silly "eat what you can pronounce" test (I don't find chemicals hard to pronounce) and actually focus on things like nutrition.

I bought some processed stuff at the green market, this morning. Pickled vegetables and some cheese. Delicious, and much easier than having to make it myself. I'm not sure what the benefit would be from worrying about the fact that those foods are processed by someone other than me.
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    Options
    Bollocks! I forgot about cheese... I eat a lot of that too. That's a process, and cream. I eat a lot of processed food.
  • mturnerfit
    mturnerfit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Mandygring wrote: »
    I'm curious if anyone has tried clean eating and saw results. I have been doing it for a while now and feel so much better.

Hey everybody! I'm sort of new to my fitness pal and wanted to ask y'all about fast food. I have a 1500 calorie allowance per day to lose 2 pounds a week and I was wondering if I can count fast food in my calorie allowance and still lose weight? Any weight loss experiences with this? And when I say fast food I mean like a chik fil a sandwich here and there or a moes burrito bowl. I haven't tried my fitness pal long enough to know if I would still have results, even if I stayed within my calories. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Bollocks! I forgot about cheese... I eat a lot of that too. That's a process, and cream. I eat a lot of processed food.

This is the thing right here. There is nothing inherently wrong with processed foods. If you have a qualm about an ingredient that you aren't familiar with, then look it up and find out what it is and what it does. If you still would rather not ingest it, then at least you have a solid reason for it instead of a silly blanket rule about not eating things based on how hard it is to pronounce. Blanket rules are for people who cannot reason for themselves.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I'm curious if anyone has tried clean eating and saw results. I have been doing it for a while now and feel so much better.

Hey everybody! I'm sort of new to my fitness pal and wanted to ask y'all about fast food. I have a 1500 calorie allowance per day to lose 2 pounds a week and I was wondering if I can count fast food in my calorie allowance and still lose weight? Any weight loss experiences with this? And when I say fast food I mean like a chik fil a sandwich here and there or a moes burrito bowl. I haven't tried my fitness pal long enough to know if I would still have results, even if I stayed within my calories. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I eat fast food all the time, it hasn't stalled my progress one iota!
  • JaneSnowe
    Options

A quick answer for you is Yes, but you'll be better off starting your own thread so as not to hijack this one. :)
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »

This is the thing right here. There is nothing inherently wrong with processed foods. If you have a qualm about an ingredient that you aren't familiar with, then look it up and find out what it is and what it does. If you still would rather not ingest it, then at least you have a solid reason for it instead of a silly blanket rule about not eating things based on how hard it is to pronounce. Blanket rules are for people who cannot reason for themselves.

I didn't say there was.
    I don't have qualms about ingredients.
    Way to state the obvious.
    I see what you mean, because where some would struggle with Sodium chloride another May have no issues reading, pronouncing or eating sodium hexametaphosphate.
    A blanket rule is a simple method for people wishing to not ingest added chemicals.
    Most whole foods will have less additives to make it edible.

I'm not sure why folk appear to think I need advice, I was only sharing what I thought. My opinion - not fact or a request for help.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, why have you quoted my post in your post? Baffled.

I made a post earlier, I listed the things I eat which are processed. Olive oil is a process wherever it's done, is it not? I eat it, a lot of it.

IMO, if you make things from scratch it's not going to have unpronounceable chemicals in it.

I had a quick google:
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/processed-food-definition-2074.html

I quoted your post because I was responding specifically to you and what you wrote.

It's good to know that me being knowledgeable about pronouncing words makes all that I eat "clean". Thanks Sesame Street!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chHz3bo3f1U
  • JaneSnowe
    edited July 2016
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »

I didn't say there was.
    I don't have qualms about ingredients.
    Way to state the obvious.
    I see what you mean, because where some would struggle with Sodium chloride another May have no issues reading, pronouncing or eating sodium hexametaphosphate.
    A blanket rule is a simple method for people wishing to not ingest added chemicals.
    Most whole foods will have less additives to make it edible.

I'm not sure why folk appear to think I need advice, I was only sharing what I thought. My opinion - not fact or a request for help.
    • I didn't say you did.
    • General "you" [Edit: but wait, you appear to have a qualm about MSG]
    • You'd be surprised.
    • Yay! We agree!
    • Disagree. Salt is a chemical. The advice is too vague to be practical.
    • True.

I have no problem with anyone who is trying to improve their diet the best way they know how, lest I give the impression that I think it's ok to eat only cookies and beer. But you and I are not the only ones reading this. I have in mind newbies, lurkers, and future readers. I, too, am only sharing what I think.