Have you ever tried clean eating?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Thanks, but I'm trying to discuss this with people who claim there's something wrong or unhealthy about "processed" foods in general. I already know that not all processed food is a bad choice.
  • ChihuahuaMeme
    ChihuahuaMeme Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The soul of eating clean is consuming food the way nature delivered it, or as close to it as possible. It is not a diet; it’s a lifestyle approach to food and its preparation, leading to an improved life – one meal at a time.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    So eating clean means not cooking? I don't think so. That's not the usual definition.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    The soul of eating clean is consuming food the way nature delivered it, or as close to it as possible. It is not a diet; it’s a lifestyle approach to food and its preparation, leading to an improved life – one meal at a time.

Citation needed.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'm heading out camping. Pretty sure there will be bugs and dirt. Am I doing it right?
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I'm heading out camping. Pretty sure there will be bugs and dirt. Am I doing it right?

Yes. And if you cook it over a campfire, it's paleo.
  • Ty_Floyd
    Ty_Floyd Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Eating bugs won't hurt you. I believe they contain a lot of protein.
  • Ty_Floyd
    Ty_Floyd Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    So eating clean means not cooking? I don't think so. That's not the usual definition.

Well, raw vegetables in most cases are nutritionally superior to cooked vegetables... apart from the starchy ones. I'm not sure about those.
    I will guarantee you will feel best if at least 2/3 of your lunch and dinner plate is raw vegetables.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Ty_Floyd wrote: »

Well, raw vegetables in most cases are nutritionally superior to cooked vegetables... apart from the starchy ones. I'm not sure about those.
    I will guarantee you will feel best if at least 2/3 of your lunch and dinner plate is raw vegetables.

Not me. That would rip apart my intestines eek.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Not me. That would rip apart my intestines eek.

I'm with you and I don't have issues like you do! Cooked food is comforting to me.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Not actually on topic -- we were discussing clean eating.

However, I will indulge you. What I've read is to the contrary, that a number of vegetables are easier to digest the nutrients from or better in some ways when cooked. As a result, I eat a mix of cooked and not (mostly based on whether I prefer the vegetables I have, which I am currently mostly getting from a CSA, cooked or not).

In any case, I tend to eat lots of raw vegetables in the summer and mostly cooked vegetables in the winter and have not found that it makes one whit of difference to how I feel. So I'm going to continue to focus on having a good variety and what I personally enjoy.
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Morrisons-Classic-Coleslaw/210784011?from=search&tags=|105651&param=coleslaw&parentContainer=SEARCHcoleslaw

That's a lot of ingredients for Mayo, cabbage and carrots.

Here's the Mayo...
    https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Morrisons-Mayonnaise/122307011?from=search&tags=|105651&param=mayonnaise&parentContainer=SEARCHmayonnaise

I'm speculating that they're using their own Mayo for the coleslaw. Ingredients are down the page.

What's the love canal?
    And, who is the food babe sunnybeaches mentioned?

? That coleslaw you linked is one of the most tame ingredient lists I've seen linked by a "clean eater". I'm gonna go with what bpetrosky said and ask you what you think is in there is bad. The things in parentheses are what the thing in front of it is made of, fyi. There's only 5 things in there: cabbage, mayonaise dresssing (in parentheses what's in the mayonaise, nothing special, oil, water, egg, spices and something to keep it all together), carrots, single cream (in parentheses what's in it, again nothing special, milk, spices, extra lactic acid which is already found in milk and potassium sorbate also found in plants for preservation), colour (beta carotene which is extracted out of carrots).

The least "natural!" thing in it is xanthan gum which is produced by bacteria out of sugars. Everything else is either straight up a whole food or made with natural ingredients, if you're into that.

Of course you'd only know that if you took the 5 minutes to check, or knew beforehand. But fear mongering is so much more productive.

Quick heads up: I've not said I'm a 'clean eater', at any stage anywhere.
    I was using coleslaw as an example. Of course there are far more impressive ingredients lists than a bit of crappy coleslaw. I suppose it's the preservatives I'd rather not eat, just my choice.
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    Options

You can buy coleslaw that is essentially the same as something you'd make at home. That's why it's wrong to generalize about store-bought or "processed" products, IMO. (Which is my issue with clean eating, among other things. Yes, I know you aren't a clean eater.)

Yeah, you can. I was looking for a quick example. There are other products with some fantastic ingredients I just didn't have the inclination to find them.
    Thanks for realising I'm not trying to eat clean.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Morrisons-Classic-Coleslaw/210784011?from=search&tags=|105651&param=coleslaw&parentContainer=SEARCHcoleslaw

Here's the Mayo...
    https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Morrisons-Mayonnaise/122307011?from=search&tags=|105651&param=mayonnaise&parentContainer=SEARCHmayonnaise

I'm speculating that they're using their own Mayo for the coleslaw. Ingredients are down the page.

What's the love canal?

? That coleslaw you linked is one of the most tame ingredient lists I've seen linked by a "clean eater". I'm gonna go with what bpetrosky said and ask you what you think is in there is bad. The things in parentheses are what the thing in front of it is made of, fyi. There's only 5 things in there: cabbage, mayonaise dresssing (in parentheses what's in the mayonaise, nothing special, oil, water, egg, spices and something to keep it all together), carrots, single cream (in parentheses what's in it, again nothing special, milk, spices, extra lactic acid which is already found in milk and potassium sorbate also found in plants for preservation), colour (beta carotene which is extracted out of carrots).

The least "natural!" thing in it is xanthan gum which is produced by bacteria out of sugars. Everything else is either straight up a whole food or made with natural ingredients, if you're into that.

Of course you'd only know that if you took the 5 minutes to check, or knew beforehand. But fear mongering is so much more productive.

I was using coleslaw as an example. Of course there are far more impressive ingredients lists than a bit of crappy coleslaw. I suppose it's the preservatives I'd rather not eat, just my choice.

See and with something like coleslaw (which I'm not a big fan of anyway b/c I don't care for mayo but it's your example) I'd probably prefer it be storebought with preservatives in it than eat some sketchy homemade coleslaw at a potluck!

It's interesting you keep saying how you don't identify as a clean eater and you have a list of some processed foods you do eat but then with the coleslaw example you are incensed at this egregious list of ingredients, most of which are common additives that have been used for decades. What specifically is your concern about those ingredients? It certainly is your choice, I'm just intrigued at why single these out. Did you read some study that gave you cause for concern?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Here's the Mayo...

What's the love canal?

See and with something like coleslaw (which I'm not a big fan of anyway b/c I don't care for mayo but it's your example) I'd probably prefer it be storebought with preservatives in it than eat some sketchy homemade coleslaw at a potluck!

It's interesting you keep saying how you don't identify as a clean eater and you have a list of some processed foods you do eat but then with the coleslaw example you are incensed at this egregious list of ingredients, most of which are common additives that have been used for decades. What specifically is your concern about those ingredients? It certainly is your choice, I'm just intrigued at why single these out. Did you read some study that gave you cause for concern?

I like coleslaw as long as it is made by a store etc...but yes I am with you prefer that over homemade cause you know people might not wash hands...or how old their ingredients are...*note to self no more potlucks*
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    Options
    I'm not incensed, I was looking for a quick example of a product with more ingredients than it needed.
    As previously stated, the extra ingredients are there to stabilise the product and extend its shelf life.