Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Parents- HPV vaccine for girls......yes or no?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Does anyone know. After reading this I am wondering if I could get the vaccine. They say you have to get it before age 26 or something. But, I have only had sex with my husband since age 20 (I had sex with other people before that). So, what's the difference if I got it at age 25 or I get it now at 38? I guess I have to ask my doctor. Also, thanks to everyone that provided helpful info. I understand why parents worry about this one because of bad reports. Also if they don't know how prevalent cervical cancer is. My heart goes out to everyone that has gone through that. My daughter hasn't gotten it yet. But, I will have her get it sometime in these next couple years. My younger daughter also when she is older. The only thing is that I have a neurological injury from medical injury, and one of my Neurologists said I have hypersensitivity to meds. So, maybe it wouldn't be good for me. I guess I can ask my Rheumatologist (and Neurologist).

Australia pushes for women up to age 45 to be vaccinated. The age limit in the US has more to do with the likelihood of the vaccine being fully effective and what insurance companies are willing to pay for. If you've never had chlamydia and have a history of normal pap smears, the vaccine would probably offer full protection. Number of sexual partners can also be a consideration; the risk is minimized if you've had 3 or less. Doctors can assess vaccination in women above 26 on a case-by-case basis. In the US, you'd probably have to pay out of pocket. I don't have a good handle on how all of this works in Canada.
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    NO.
    When one looks at the actual data on CC rates vs adverse reaction reports, those receiving the vaccine are more likely to harmed by the vaccine than ever getting cancer.
    Look up Gardisil related deaths. There are a lot.

Also, a study that came out years before this found a direct correlation between rates of cervical cancer that could be linked to HPV and sexual activity before the age of 18. The study found that the immune system in adult women can defend against HPV quite well, while the adolescent cannot.

As to the safety of the vaccine, I'd really like to see some peer-reviewed studies backing up these claims that it isn't safe, because all I've encountered so far is a bunch of fearmongering on anti-vaxxer blogs. Here's a link to a data sheet published by the CDC with a long list of studies that support it is safe. Some of these studies involved 1 million participants. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/pdf/data-summary-hpv-gardasil-vaccine-is-safe.pdf
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know. After reading this I am wondering if I could get the vaccine. They say you have to get it before age 26 or something. But, I have only had sex with my husband since age 20 (I had sex with other people before that). So, what's the difference if I got it at age 25 or I get it now at 38? I guess I have to ask my doctor. Also, thanks to everyone that provided helpful info. I understand why parents worry about this one because of bad reports. Also if they don't know how prevalent cervical cancer is. My heart goes out to everyone that has gone through that. My daughter hasn't gotten it yet. But, I will have her get it sometime in these next couple years. My younger daughter also when she is older. The only thing is that I have a neurological injury from medical injury, and one of my Neurologists said I have hypersensitivity to meds. So, maybe it wouldn't be good for me. I guess I can ask my Rheumatologist (and Neurologist).

fda.gov/ForConsumers/ByAudience/ForWomen/ucm118530.htm

This talks about how one get this STD and who is at a low/high risk of getting it. The risk/reward ratio can be different from person to person.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    NO.
    When one looks at the actual data on CC rates vs adverse reaction reports, those receiving the vaccine are more likely to harmed by the vaccine than ever getting cancer.
    Look up Gardisil related deaths. There are a lot.

Can you back up this information from a credible source - FDA, NIH, etc?

43501 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    nahmm83 wrote: »
    My daughters receive vaccines, but I'm still undecided regarding the HPV vaccine.....I've done my research and their doctor is also adamant about them receiving the vaccine. However, I wanted to ask for your opinions on why you had (or didn't have) your daughter receive the HPV vaccine.

I didn't get it/sign up when it was being offered by my high school and I kinda regret it. I already have HPV in my system (very, very common among swimmers who pick it up around public pools and in shower blocs) and I don't know how much I'd benefit/what would happen if I got the vaccine.

In general, vaccinate when and where you can.
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Just seen a news report that the FDA have a approved a 2-dose regimen instead of the previous 3 doses, for pre-teenages