Serial Starters

Options

Replies

• LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

I am working more beans and lentils into my diet, for health and $$$ reasons.

I mixed up some rinsed canned black beans, roasted corn*, diced 3-color peppers*, and a bit of chopped onion. Drizzled on Kraft Zesty Lime vinaigrette, and had a yummy, pretty healthy little "salad". It's easy to make several servings worth and store in fridge.
    * Trader Joe's frozen section

Lana
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,348 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Back from groceries - Quiche is broccoli /canadian bacon/onion/bell pepper and swiss cheese.

Lana - join the club on projects that have to be ripped out - either in part or completely. You would never have been happy to keep it in - so short term loss long term gain. If you know you got all your stitches back on them NSV for you!!

Need to find a good small flashlight so that starting April 1 I can see all that I need to pick up on dog walks. Any suggestions?

BBL
  • tlsb2016
    tlsb2016 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain on the knitting, Lana. I’m impressed you were able to rip it out and get it all back on the needles. That’s where I fall apart- getting it back on correctly. Also, thanks the the idea about what to do with lots of yarn that alone won’t make up a full scarf. Hadn’t thought about a tubular scarf.....

Waves to all. BBL soon.

Tess
  • tlsb2016
    tlsb2016 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Sara, look for an LED flashlight. You can get small ones that fit in your bag or pocket, and the illumination is amazing.

Tess
  • LanaCabana537
    Options
    Hi there Tess~~

Hey Sara ~~

Regarding a flashlight, consider either getting a "normal" flashlight that has some sort of hole in the end so that you can attach it to a lanyard and wear around your neck OR
    consider getting a headlamp from REI or someplace that has climbing gear.

I imagine that your hands are already somewhat full with Miss Tillie's leash and the pickup bags and gloves in the winter, or an umbrella when it rains, that you don't need to have a loose flashlight to be dropping on the ground and breaking or getting all goobered up.

This is an address for REI. Most headlamps are a bit pricey, but they have a few with good reviews that are $20 or so. Also just because it's a headlamp doesn't mean you have to have it on your head: you could wear it around your neck and then turn it on just to check the area. Plus at home, they are good for sewing or extra light for various chores.

https://www.rei.com/c/led-headlamps?r=c&origin=web&ir=category:led-headlamps&page=1

Lana
    *wearing her headlamp to signal Cabana Boys for another refreshment*
  • Tilliesmommy1
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Quiche in oven had beans with wax paper to hold crust down - glad I was in kitchen - wax paper is a no no. Caught it before it got dangerous and set off alarm. Use parchment paper or foil next time. Have not made quiche in awhile and it has too much stuff in it. Oh well, will still be edible.

Nice idea with the head lamp, you are right last flashlight got dropped too much. Also something around my neck would work too.

Wishing all a good night.

• LanaCabana537
    Options

Sara - sorry about that kitchen adventure. You make your own quiches?

Good night all~~

Lana
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    MONDAY

Good morning, scale not a friend up more than 2 pounds. Will have to be better about walking and water.

Lana - in order for me to control ingredients and salt, I did not make pie crust though that should be on my "to do" list, I did make the rest. Canadian bacon/ broccoli and Swiss cheese. Will make 6 servings. Freezes well so I will pop a couple pieces in.

Coworker is pregnant with twins. One baby blanket takes long enough but 2? We will have to have a chat soon about colors.......

Hang on, hold on. Keep trying. Stay warm. Wave to all who follow.
  • LanaCabana537
    Options
    MONDAY

Good morning, scale not a friend up more than 2 pounds. Will have to be better about walking and water.

Lana - in order for me to control ingredients and salt, I did not make pie crust though that should be on my "to do" list, I did make the rest. Canadian bacon/ broccoli and Swiss cheese. Will make 6 servings.

Sara - Indeed the scale did not have a good number this morning. I am foggy this morning: did you have some of the quiche for dinner? Salt? Water retention?

Onward, ever onward.....

Lana
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Lana I went out to eat and had grilled cheese and soup - so that was enough salt. Quiches are for lunch the next couple of days
  • hickchic67
    hickchic67 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Working from home today. Had driven into work to find I was only one in the entire building. No one in parking lot. No one in offices. So I checked messages, made a couple calls, watered plants, then headed back to work from home. Its still snowing and temps dropping.

Had a lovely fun-filled colonoscopy last week. Everything was fine. The prep was miserable but not for what you would think. The prep actually shut things down for me. I was completely nauseous and miserable the entire time. There has to be a different way to do things.

Have been trying to stick to healthy options since then. Also trying to get back into the habit of tracking things all the time again.

Annie - Sorry to hear about the closing delay. Like Lana said, though it is a real inconvenience, eventually this will make an amusing story. Hang in there!

Sara - Glad to hear that you will be getting that new cubicle soon. The dog DNA stuff is rather crazy. Never heard of such a thing.

Saltine - I wish I could say it gets easier, but that hurt will always be there. Eventually though, it will not hurt as much. I have lost 2 brothers and a husband. Focus on the good memories to help you through. Do keep some mementos but try not to get bogged down by them. <<hugs>>

Lana - So what the heck is the Beck Book?

Dawn - I didn't get a private message. But cant check on my phone. Will check on computer.

• Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Good evening,

Move cubes tomorrow - celebrate and let me know what you did!!

Lady with dog showed me her flashlight/dog poop bag holder, $5 Walmart. Nice to know there are options.

Quiche turned out very well. Had 2 pie crusts in box, so you know another one is soon.

Kathryn, I work in insurance and the one place I HAD to call they had the day off....... Glad you could work from home.

Wishing all a good night. Stay warm out there.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    TUESDAY

Good morning,

Rained last night which means wet dog this morning.

Ordered 2 yarn colors for lady at work who is carrying twins - still early and she was not announcing.... robin's egg and baby sunshine. She said why not make 2 of the same?? Nope not doing that. Grew up with identical twins and will not do that - they are 2 people.

Did not plan dinners well. Will try and regroup tonight and see what I can make......

"Following a rule eliminates the struggle over what to eat or not eat". Judith Beck. The Beck Diet solution. forgot page. oops.

Wave to all who follow. Stay warm and dry.
  • LanaCabana537
    Options

Hi everybody~~

"Wet dog in the morning, Cabana Boys take warning" ---That's how that rule goes, right Sara?
    I hope that your move is going well.

Kathryn - glad to hear the colonoscopy went well, even though the prep was miserable.

As Sara typed above, The Beck Diet Solution, by Judith Beck, is a book based on general cognitive behavioral therapy/work, which I believe her father pioneered for applications not involved with weight loss. The daughter applied this type of work to weight loss and wrote a book about thinking and behavior modifications to assist people on their weight loss journey. It is not a weight loss program; you have to choose your own program to follow; and her input/book/42-day process is an interesting and helpful addition.....

Time to get to Trader Joe's before I lose all oomph to do so. Snow is coming soon, so must go while it's decent out.

BBL

Lana
  • hickchic67
    Options
    Lana - that Beck Book sounds interesting.

Sara - how did move to new cube go?

Dawn - still no message. :(

Cold day here. Was below zero on my way in. At least it quit snowing for a bit.
    Stopped to help a kid who ran out of gas. This is not the kind of weather to be stranded in! Hopefully he got to his destination okay.

• ASalner
    ASalner Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Just flying through with an update. This is the first time I've sat down with my laptop in days!

Miracle of miracles, we got a call that we were going to be able to close on our sale and on our purchase on Friday afternoon. We finished closing a little after 6 p.m. The title company actually stayed open late for all of us! It was DH's birthday, so we went to the new house to check it out, headed out for supper to celebrate, and then moved the mattresses, bedding, and suitcases in and slept in the new house the first night! The weekend has been crazy-busy with cleaning and moving in furniture and unpacking. The house was absolutely filthy. Thank goodness for my MIL for cleaning the entire upstairs and all of the bathrooms. I stayed home from work today to finish washing baseboards and woodwork on the main floor. Luckily the basement is not finished, so nothing really to clean down there that needs my immediate attention!

It has been a whirlwind and it will take awhile to settle in. I am not a good "changer" and even though we chose this change, it is hard on me. I question myself. I get buyer's remorse very easily. But I know everything will be okay in the long run.

I did face the scale yesterday morning and it was not pretty. Up 7 lbs from last year at this time. Up 19 lbs from my lowest 3 1/2 years ago. I still haven't signed up for WW but will do so tonight.

Will take some time this evening to read through what I've missed. I am really hoping to get back to posting regularly now that things are settling down.

Annie

This week's WI: 164.2
    All-time high: 177.8
    Goal: 145
  • hickchic67
    Options
    Annie - YAY!!! Finally in the new house and the old neighborhood soon to be a distant memory!! Change is not easy but youre doing it. Youre getting what you wanted. Remember to sit down and take a breather. And all this moving surely counts toward your exercise totals!! Once you are settled in, am sure you will be feeling much better. Deal with the weight after you deal with the move - one thing at a time!

• Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Kathryn, updated dog Callahan picture? They are running late so "after lunch" - its after 1pm so who knows??

Annie read Kathryn's message - well said.
  • hickchic67
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Sara - Cal's pic from October when we had family photos done. (pre-accident)
    He looks like this again except for some patches with no hair from the road rash which has pretty much healed up now.
    Hope you have a smooth transition to the new cube!
  • LanaCabana537
    Options

Annie - OMG! Congratulations on finally making it to the new house. Your MIL is a saint to help out!
    I hope you have many happy years in this new home. Good for you for signing up for WW. The change will do you good.

Kathryn - that was very very nice of you to help out the person who ran out of gas! Good karma.
    Yay for Cal also!

Sara - What's the word? Were you able to move today? Jeez I hope that happens.

Waves to Dawn and Tess and Saltine and anyone else who swoops by later~~

Lana

245.6 today
    250.0 highest
    185.0 goal