Serial Starters

Options

Replies

• Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    MONDAY

Good morning. Dog up and fed and I am dressed and back to sleep until I get breakfast and walk dog.

Weigh in - I gained all my weight back from last week. At least I am down from worst weight at Christmas. It is what it is and I am going to work on getting my daily oils back in line and walk both breaks this week. So......I just answered the question--

QOTD: What will you be working on this week in your quest for losing weight??

Hair apt and nail apt today - both overdue.

Will stop by later. Wave to all who follow.
  • LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,854 Member
    Options

AOTD: Trying to figure out how to manage my sweet tooth. Going to try to plan in and ration out reasonable amount of chocolate. I can't yet win this battle; it is at the base/core of my weight problems.....well that and no real exercise for months because of the BC treatment......

Steaming some carrots to have on hand. I hate munching on raw carrots. Chilled steamed carrots I can deal with, and I eat more of them and feel less "diety" when they are easy to eat.

BBL

*tossing hat and towel and bag onto favorite lounge chair next to Miss Tillie~~

Lana
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Tillie would love a new chair buddy!
  • arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Morning all!

Sara - good news about Miss Tillie! Hopefully, you can breathe easy, until her next visit.. even though you gained a little back, sounds like you are still moving in right direction...I can not get my scale to move at all... that's part of the reason I'm not sure if it's accurate...I know I'm not doing great... but, I should hope it would move a little... it stays within 2lbs, always... maybe I'm just doing that poorly...

Lana- I too have issues controlling my sweet tooth...I always look at serving size before I eat and try to only eat that much, sometimes less...chocolate is definitely my biggest weakness...

Trying to motivate myself to actually do something, today.... got another load of laundry in wash... oh, how I dread folding laundry... ugh...

Will check in later.... hope everyone has a good day...
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Dawn, thank you for reminding me - laundry!! I knew I forgot something.

• arniedog74
    Options
    Dawn, thank you for reminding me - laundry!! I knew I forgot something.

Welcome!
  • drakeshattuck
    drakeshattuck Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Arnold Schwarzenegger was asked about staying on a diet, he said "It depends on what you are more hungry for".
  • LanaCabana537
    Options

Good ol' Arnold.

Indeed, what I am "hungry" for changes from morning to nighttime.

Lana
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Good evening,

Soup for dinner, just wish it was warmer. Will make some hot tea/coffee.

Wishing all a good evening.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    TUESDAY

Good morning,

Back to work, but like the 3 day weekend once a month.

Have 12 little baby hats to donate, will take picture and see if I can post.....

Weight is being stupid, so I am ignoring the number and working on better habits.

Wishing all a good day. Wave to all who follow.
  • LanaCabana537
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Good morning everyone~~

Sara - Until you recently got much better news from Tillie's vet, you've been under increased stressed with her health. I'm guessing that that had something to do with your not seeing a good number at the scale this week. You will turn this around.
    And wow! 12 hats you have made to donate? That is generosity. Good for you!

It seems I may have two sunny days in a row here. This is good for my spirits.

Yesterday, I did not track/journal, but I did plan and follow the plan I made for the day.
    I managed to eat only my daily allotment of the Big Trader Joe's candy bar I bought, as planned, to challenge myself to practice self control and reasonable portion control of a food that I don't want to give up.
    I owe this group a report on this candy bar daily for 8 days. Seriously.

Lana
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Good evening,

Dinner was scrambled eggs, fried sweet potato and chicken sausage.

Dog on her walk and then who knows? I got "Blazing Saddles" on my dvd from Netflix. I remember people saying this was one of Mel Brook's better movies and I ordered it when Gene Wilder passed away - so lets hope I laugh.

Will set up lounge chair next to Lana - what kind of drinks are the cboys serving tonight??
  • arniedog74
    Options
    Finally....a good day! Back in May, we had a couple bring us this lil, overweight, very grumpy, Chihuahua... he was a quirky lil pup... if someone went to love him, while he was in another person's arms, he would bite you... not just a nip...a terrible whole in whatever body part he got his mouth on....we learned how to adjust to his personality (he had us well trained) couldn't help but love him... yesterday, a call came in, a girl had seen him on FB and insisted he was her mom's dog...a couple things didn't seem quite right, but we encouraged them to come see for themselves...so, they did just that! I went to his kennel and brought him to lobby... he ran straight to his owner and kissed her like crazy! There was no doubt, they belonged together! They had been looking for a year for him! We had him for 8 months! They didn't know of our shelter... that's the other part of the story... they live 45 minutes away! All we can think, someone had to pick him up... maybe they didn't like his personality! The best thing... he is sleeping in his bed, tonight instead of in a kennel...that makes it all worth it!
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Good morning,

Glad I didnt weigh in this morning!!

I am listening to the interview that Mel Brooks did about Blazing Saddles while they play the movie again - it is an hour and a half. That guy just keeps talking - like the pink battery bunny..... but I had to end it last night as it got too late, will finish tonight.

Dawn!! Those are the stories that give us hope. That dog only loved a couple of people. My dog came chipped because she ran away from her 2nd caretaker. More people need to chip their animals.

Taking hats to work to get picture hopefully I can post here, depending on how it is sent to my email, sometimes I cant. We shall see.

Wishing all a great Wednesday. Wave to all who follow.
  • arniedog74
    Options
    Sara - we chip all animals, now.. and, it's only a one time charge... wish so many more people would do this... although, we do get some that the people don't register... that's disappointing...

Well, off to work... hopefully today won't be too bad..SO out of town couple days... ugh

Have a great day!
  • ASalner
    ASalner Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Wednesday morning

We have had a lot of craziness at our house the last couple of weeks, which is why I haven't felt the energy to post. DH does the yardwork and snow removal for the elderly widow neighbor-lady across the street. Her name is Sandee. We haven’t ever really had much to do with her other than that. I’ve never even really talked with her except a couple of times on the phone when she would call for DH. At any rate, awhile back she had shared with DH that her doctor tested her and told her she has dementia. Sandee refused to believe it and said her doctor is “out to get her”. Fast-forward to a couple of weeks ago. Sandee called to ask if DH could bring her some juice because she hadn’t been feeling well and hadn’t had anything to eat for a couple of days. Then she asked if DH could buy some groceries for her because she had a problem with her foot which prevented her from going to the store. We obliged but started wondering if more was going on. DH found out her phones weren’t working. She could make outgoing calls on her home phone but couldn’t receive any calls. She said her cell phone had gotten stolen (from her house). We found out she was scared to drive because she had gotten lost recently. She called us in the morning and left a message but by afternoon didn’t remember making that call or leaving that message.

So, DH reached out to her sons in California via Facebook. He has emailed them before when Sandee first started talking about the dementia. At any rate, they seem pretty worthless. I get the feeling it hasn’t necessarily been a happy family and that Sandee has been kind of mean, which I guess I could see. But even with us telling them how confused she is, etc., they are only concerned that she says or emails mean things to them. And they said if she would just take her meds and eat, she would be fine.

Well, we decided we were going to call the County and place a report in the hopes they would make a welfare visit and start some services for Sandee. Before we got to do that, I arrived home last Wednesday to find an ambulance at Sandee’s house. I walked over to see what was going on. Apparently she had called 911 several times but from what we can tell, she was trying to use an old flip phone that wasn’t working and it would only call 911. Sandee’s blood sugar was low when the EMTs got there and she was very confused. After they got her blood sugar up, she remained confused. (Dementia). After talking with me and hearing our experiences and concerns, the EMTs determined they wanted to bring her to the ER for further examination and also to get her in the system as needing a nurse to follow-up at her house. So, they did that. I took her house keys so we could keep an eye on her dog – a big, fat, hyper golden retriever named Trixie. I also got one of her son’s phone numbers and DH called him. Sandee was back at our house by 9 p.m. and DH brought her home and got her settled in. The next day, he fixed her phones and brought her some groceries. And he called the County.

On Friday, DH was asked to attend a meeting at Sandee’s house with the county social worker. As a coincidence, a home health nurse also came at the same time to check on Sandee. DH was really only there to provide some info and to be an ice-breaker for Sandee. It was determined that they should get a financial worker involved because Sandee could not tell them anything about her bills or bank account.

Saturday, DH got a call from a different home health nurse who was going over to see Sandee and do a bigger assessment. DH couldn’t be there for that one, but shared some information with the person.

Sunday, DH got another call from the same home health nurse stating that she thinks Sandee cannot live at home by herself. And that daily visits from home health are not enough. She needs someone to be there all the time because she is so confused. She is also malnourished because she isn’t eating properly, she is dehydrated, and she hasn’t refilled any meds since August. The nurse was planning to call the one son we found a number for. She said if the boys won’t get involved, Sandee will be considered “abandoned” and will become a ward of the State. DH brought Sandee’s mail up to her and asked her if she needed anything from the grocery store, so we picked up a few things for her and some dog food for Trixie.

Sandee has been ordering a pizza every couple of days and told DH that the last pizza she had ordered had been stolen. Apparently she thinks her son (who lives in California) snuck into the house during the night while she was sleeping and stole it, and didn’t even say hello. Her son had been trying to call her but she wouldn’t answer the phone because she’s mad at him for stealing her pizza.  It is not going to help anything if she won’t talk to her son. But then again, I don’t think her boys understand that they can’t really count on Sandee to give them any good information. She honestly can’t remember things from morning to afternoon. I’m sure she’s not clear on anything the doctors, nurses, or social worker are telling her.

We've had a couple more calls from social workers and yesterday, I saw taxi dropping Sandee off after a dr appt and noticed she was having trouble getting into the house. The cab driver waited a minute but then drove away rather than helping her. So I walked over and was able to unlock her back door. (There is something wrong with the dead bolt on the front door and it wouldn't unlock with the key.) She's lucky I was home - but I assume she would have gone around to the back to try that door.

I hope her sons will step up and take care of their mom, although I worry if they will really have her best interests at heart. I’m pretty sure if Sandee moves away (into a memory care unit nearby or somewhere back in California near her sons), we will end up with Trixie. Not that I need another giant dog in my house! But she’s a sweet dog (who needs training). And DH said when Sandee was at the ER the other night and he went over to check on the dog and try to figure out what was wrong with the phones, Trixie whimpered and cried for Sandee. So, we’ll take her and get her training. Of course, this is all if our dog and Trixie get along.

I still feel exhausted from it all! And it’s not over. But we keep saying it’s good practice for when our parents reach the stage of life where we need to help them.

Other than the Sandee stuff, our weekend was pretty quiet and non-eventful. Just trying to dial-it-in on my diet since I porked up over the holidays. Especially now that I can’t exercise, I need to watch my nutrition if I want to lose weight! But DH and I have been really weak. Emotional-eating! Grrr!

Yesterday was a fiasco at work where we had a big meeting with users from our college campuses across the state and my co-worker called in sick. She calls in sick all the time! She was supposed to lead the bulk of the discussion for the day, so I had to quickly prepare and take it on. It went well, but I was so mad at her and just felt very drained at the end of the day. Not sure what I'm going to say to her today if she comes to work.

Whew! Sorry for the novel. Hoping for a better day today!

Annie
  • LanaCabana537
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Evidently, Miss Annie has been a bit busy! Good luck with all that. Please don't take on Trixie if you cannot well manage it. As Dawn will tell you, shelters get dogs from the elderly regularly. Maybe you can foster her for a little while if she gets along with your dog. As for the sons, pretend they don't exist. They don't care. The sooner the lady gets into a dementia facility, the better.

Dawn - that is a delightful story about the chihuahua! You are right about the chips.
    How old does a dog have to be to get a chip put in? I am assuming that 8 week old puppies are too young, that the breeders can't do it when they are puppies?

Sara - Ah, Blazing Saddles. I am old enough to remember when that movie came out in the theaters. I think I was around 16 or 17? I went the first two times with my older boy cousins, who happened to have some attitude adjustment material with them, and as a result I laughed my head off, but did not know, until I saw it the third time without having had anything beforehand, that the movie actually has a plot! That was a long, long time ago.
    I hope that you enjoy it. It certainly was "of the time", so I'm not sure how it holds up decades later.

I've been having a bit of a time of it here in NC alone in this house. I feel mixed: half widow and half happy ex, who does not have to deal with high maintenance bipolar husband.

Thank goodness the sun is out. Coffee is helping; shower is done. Now I wish my energy would pick up!

BBL

Tillie will supervise The Boys until Happy Hour. It IS Wednesday, so something special is planned for 5PM.

Lana
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Annie - at lunch break. Neighbor is lucky to have you - I also agree with Lana about dog. Very glad Social Services is involved as well. She needs someone to pay her bills and someone not in her family. State of CA have conservators who do exactly that - if you can ask next social services person you encounter with neighbor if your state does that.

Back to the salt mine. Tillie is having a blast with the boys. bbl.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Good evening,

Calzone in oven.

Annie- didnt have time at work - your neighbor will probably not thank you - but I will. She will get help from Social services and dont be surprised if they move her. She is not safe alone. You are the neighbors we hope for when we get that age. One thing -do not become her legal guardian - whatever you do. Her children will make you regret it.

Drama at work involving lady who sits in next cube. Lady on other side of my cube (2 different people) had breast lumps and they would not express themselves. I bought her a nice little box of chocolates using my CVS bonus bucks (which cut the price). We are trying to have kindness week at work - oops I just rolled my eyes..... I am doing what I can. We shall see.

Dog is done/fed. We will have our outing soon and then head over to Lana's Palm Tree where Wednesday night is dog lover's night - we get extra treats for our dogs and the cboys will walk them and give them a spa day.

Will try and fly by later.
  • arniedog74
    Options
    Super quick answer...

Lana- as far as I know, there is no age for chip....we do it in teeny tiny kittens and little puppies...I think not all breeders chip... I'm sure reputable ones do... any that we have taken from breeders have not been chipped...

Will be back in a bit...