What is going on with all the cops being shot

Options
12345679»

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    The hilarious part is, greater than 99% of US citizens will never be directly affected by any of this, even if things were to go to hell in certain areas, unless it escalates to the point where the military gets involved. I see a lot of unjustified fear, and a lot of paranoid hand-wringing in this thread.

Spoiler alert: that's the root of the problem to begin with (on both sides).

personally I think that's one of the greatest things about being an American. that we are capable of concern for people who don't live next door.

Concern and irrational fear are not the same thing.

There's a difference between fear and being concerned with what we are witnessing. When I reach fear level I'll start carrying. Until then, I'll keep paying attention. I'm fortunate to currently live in a place where people get along pretty well. I just don't delude myself into thinking that things can't spiral.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    The hilarious part is, greater than 99% of US citizens will never be directly affected by any of this, even if things were to go to hell in certain areas, unless it escalates to the point where the military gets involved. I see a lot of unjustified fear, and a lot of paranoid hand-wringing in this thread.

Spoiler alert: that's the root of the problem to begin with (on both sides).

personally I think that's one of the greatest things about being an American. that we are capable of concern for people who don't live next door.

Concern and irrational fear are not the same thing.

There's a difference between fear and being concerned with what we are witnessing. When I reach fear level I'll start carrying. Until then, I'll keep paying attention. I'm fortunate to currently live in a place where people get along pretty well. I just don't delude myself into thinking that things can't spiral.

I've been carrying since I could legally do so. It's not based in fear, but in the realization that I may otherwise one day need what I don't have. Fortunately, the company that I work for is fully supportive of this, and it's not all that uncommon in Virginia. I've actually had police officers ask me why my holster was empty when I had to go into specific places for work that disallowed it.

As for location though: I live in, what could easily be described, as "the hood". Honestly, I've never had the first problem out of anyone here, and everyone I've talked to has been more friendly than most of the shitlers I used to run into daily in the more upscale communities. The being said, yeah, I've had more people get shot within a two-block radius of my apartment in the last month, than a lot of people will encounter in years. That still doesn't concern me. Why? I know how to mind my own damned business.

There's a certain culture of respect in these areas that, if transgressed against, will get you shot. Abide by it, and no one has any problems with you. vOv

However yes, I do realize that the potential is there for the whole thing to go up like a bundle of kindling if the wrong match gets struck.

I have a different risk assessment where I live but I understand where you are coming from
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    People are using all kinds of ridiculous things to push their agendas. It shows lack of personal responsibility and respect for anything but their own wants and needs.

It is disgusting and sad, but It doesn't surprise me though.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Maximus wrote: »
    I'll throw this out there.... if the police tell me to stop, I stop. If they tell me to not move, I don't move.

tbf though- didn't that one black guy basically do what he was told? guy told the cop he had a LTC, cop said don't move, guy raised his hands where the officer could see, and so the cop emptied his gun into him?

Which one? Walter Scott ran. The guy selling DVD's fought back. Not sure about the guy in the car.

yeah castile- see above. idk about the other ones, but Castile seemed to do everything correctly and still got murdered. if that's the way it really went down i hope the officer goes to prison or the electric chair.

I agree. In Castile's situation, I'm still wondering why they didn't render aid to him after he was shot. Or even his girlfriend. Still bugs me that she was so Ben Stein about.

I can't for the life of me find the article that I read but... It said that they were not pulled over for a tail light, they were pulled over because the car and the driver matched a BOLO from an armed robbery from earlier that day or week. The total calmness of her video struck me as so extremely odd from day one and the article also directly quoted her mother that her daughter is an attention seeking narcissist. Now all of this could be mumbo jumbo but... The whole thing just does not add up to me at all...
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    willnorton wrote: »
    Sugar_Pill wrote: »
    You forgot the "what's with all the innocent people being shot" & the "we're in the middle of a war on race and too many people are dying".

who has found all those people innocent????? the public dont not know the whole case... somethings are not put out in the public eye... for protection of an ongoing case...

that is what our constitution and the courts are for

but you are definitely entitled to yoru opinion... what makes America great

In the United States of America, people don't need to be "found" innocent. People are innocent, until proven guilty. A former police officer should know that.

you took that comment out of context.. go back and read why I asked that.. it was in reference to what she said first..... 31 years, I know exactly what I am talking about
  • _birdie__
    _birdie__ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    prolly too soon to link a video of body count's 'cop killer' from 1992
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Cop shootings have declined over the years. But more recently we've militarized our police forces in weaponry and training, which leads to less restrictive behaviors during confrontations. We've also required our cops to enforce thousands of petty laws, leading to what amounts to legal harassment. Should a cop really be expected to arrest someone for shop lifting a few CDs that should have been under lock and key? Or pursue someone for selling individual cigarettes on a sidewalk corner?
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I want a country where nobody kills people.
  • tmanfromtexas
    tmanfromtexas Posts: 928 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    [/quote] I can't for the life of me find the article that I read but... It said that they were not pulled over for a tail light, they were pulled over because the car and the driver matched a BOLO from an armed robbery from earlier that day or week. The total calmness of her video struck me as so extremely odd from day one and the article also directly quoted her mother that her daughter is an attention seeking narcissist. Now all of this could be mumbo jumbo but... The whole thing just does not add up to me at all...[/quote]

I read that somewhere also but let us not confuse these facts with what the media and BLM protesters want the narrative to really be. Also, we didn't see what happened prior to shots being fired, we only saw her response afterwards. Since she said the cop killed her boyfriend, then it must be true and we must all fall in line and call for him to be hanged. Kinda strange, the same think happened in Ferguson and Baltimore, but all those cops were found not guilty. Hmmmm.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    I can't for the life of me find the article that I read but... It said that they were not pulled over for a tail light, they were pulled over because the car and the driver matched a BOLO from an armed robbery from earlier that day or week. The total calmness of her video struck me as so extremely odd from day one and the article also directly quoted her mother that her daughter is an attention seeking narcissist. Now all of this could be mumbo jumbo but... The whole thing just does not add up to me at all...[/quote]

I read that somewhere also but let us not confuse these facts with what the media and BLM protesters want the narrative to really be. Also, we didn't see what happened prior to shots being fired, we only saw her response afterwards. Since she said the cop killed her boyfriend, then it must be true and we must all fall in line and call for him to be hanged. Kinda strange, the same think happened in Ferguson and Baltimore, but all those cops were found not guilty. Hmmmm. [/quote]

Just as we assume that someone found not to be guilty, isn't guilty; when they might actually be!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for closing this topic. The original poster has received a significant amount of feedback and the conversations can continue via personal messaging or within a group.

When the community does not allow for objective responses, the topic will become as a whole, divisive. When polarization of this kind happens topics will almost always be locked.

Thank you for your understanding and help in keeping MyFitnessPal a supportive, friendly community.

Respectfully,
    psuLemon
This discussion has been closed.