NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Options

Replies

• gemwolf110
    gemwolf110 Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Phew last week and this week just flew right on by. Co-worker had her baby so I am officially taking over her job until she comes back. Crew season at church is in full swing and instead of joining one crew I joined 3. All of which I’m very happy I joined and one is a walking crew ;-) . 2nd job is going great. And I even made it to Zumba on Monday.

Hope everyone’s week is going great! Mine going by so fast it’s like hump day already?
  • theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    @trooworld My ankles get stiff too if I don't sit too long. I'm not that old. I got the back off of the battery case only to realize that it needs those round lithium batteries and not AA batteries. :neutral: There's a lesson in patience here somewhere. So I'll go buy some.

@joannadavison I love reading and most of the time you will see a Kindle in my hand. Definitely when I wake up and go to bed. And in between too. lol Good idea on the cold brew teabags. Yes, you can do this. Just one day at a time. Hang that dress you want to wear in Dec out in plain site for you to see all the time as motivation.

@cbabie Glad to hear your wrist is getting back to normal.

@Trishastime Just a delay in eating for this week. I really like what I'm doing and it seems to be working. People are noticing. I can have anything I want as long as it's planned. So I'm not making impulsive decisions. I still stick with my red, yellow, and green days so I know exactly which day I have to just wait. By then, sometimes I still want it and sometimes I don't.

@gemwolf110 You sound very busy but happy which is a good thing. Usually makes this journey we are on a bit easier. I just joined a walking group. We'll see how it goes.

About to lose the battery on this computer so I'll end here. Did good today stayed OP. Right to the edge of my carb limit but I did it. Over calories 11. Walked for 36 min.

• trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,912 Member
    Options
    Morning gals. I went to work yesterday but was feeling cruddy and left at 10:30. :( At least I avoided all the food in the breakroom! lol It's supposed to be really hot here today (think: 90F), I thought summer was over? I think I know why I am feeling sick: I don't think it's true illness at all, but keto flu! You get it from not eating enough salt/having low electrolytes. So, I bought some zero-calorie Gatorade last night and drank some of that and feel a bit better. We'll see if I make it all day today.

@joannadavison That dessert was good! It was a nice treat to have. :) You know, usually, when I am sick, I do eat for comfort, but this time, I'm not doing that, which is quite amazing! I usually do crave carbs when I am sick. Here's to hoping we are both on an upward mindset boost!

@cbabie It sounds like you must be doing your exercises at home, too, congrats on your progress! :D

@TrishasTime I'm glad you stood up for yourself re: the sprinklers. re: the cholesterol...I have heard, anecdotally that people's numbers have fallen as they lose weight on the ketogenic diet, however, we need to look at the science. According to a government study on the long-term effects of a ketogenic diet in obese patients (I will link if you are interested), "The present study shows the beneficial effects of a long-term ketogenic diet. It significantly reduced the body weight and body mass index of the patients. Furthermore, it decreased the level of triglycerides, LDL cholesterol and blood glucose, and increased the level of HDL cholesterol. Administering a ketogenic diet for a relatively longer period of time did not produce any significant side effects in the patients. Therefore, the present study confirms that it is safe to use a ketogenic diet for a longer period of time than previously demonstrated." A Harvard medical school blog says this: "A few studies show some patients have increase in cholesterol levels in the beginning, only to see cholesterol fall a few months later. However, there is no long-term research analyzing its effects over time on diabetes and high cholesterol."

@gemwolf110 You sound busy! :) My week has been eh. I'm glad it is Thursday.

@theslightedgeforever Hahaha! That sounds like the makings of a cartoon. :) Definitely a lesson in patience.

EMPOWERED.
    October goals: track 3 days a week, drink 50 oz of liquids a day, ride the stationary bike 3 times a week, lose 1 lb
  • JoDavo66
    JoDavo66 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    @Trishastime when I 1st graduated I worked for a drug company & we promoted 1 heart & 1 blood fats drug so I had a machine surgeries borrowed to give a rough indication of blood cholesterol & triglycerides. As I wasn't qualified to draw blood I played patient for the nurses to talk them through the machine. I was shocked how high my cholesterol was. My Mum had also had an over 50s test & hers was higher!- Turned out family genetics! Since then I've virtually cut it out. When I had 50 test it was slightly high but loads lower than at 22. Got retested a month later & I got it lowest ever been- slightly higher than new recommendations but lower than when I was a rep. Coupled with bowel cancer on Dad's side- I'm quite good with fibre too- just need to reign in sugar & portion size!!

Hi @cbabie

@gemwolf110 yes, this week flying!

@theslightedgeforever well done OP. I'm only a few cals over but just about there. Day 4 tracking & focussed and the work trousers are not quite as tight. I just want to feel comfortable in them before facing scales & hopefully the lbs damage will not then show/be much.

@trooworld electrolyte imbalance can make you feel awful. Sometimes achey too. Interesting comments from the Harvard research about cholesterol- I wouldn't have thought that but presumably as metabolism changes it affects the fat metabolism also.

I'm a little peeved today. Finished at 12:45 & planned to be at gym to start at 2pm. Boss is off & myself and other 2nd in dept picking up the slack so we ended staying til 2.30pm to get stuff sorted- she'd missed lunch & I missed gym. Having 20min coffee stop on way to get girls as if I'd g9ne straight there I'd be stuck in school bus queue!
    At least I'll get steps in tonight walking around a school to look at their 16-18 provision (6th form) with eldest.
    Have a great day.
  • TrishasTime
    TrishasTime Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone

I am abit peevish today as well - I am going to get off at lunchtime as I have been covering someone (every day was a different someone) being away all day because I have the knowledge and skill t do that. I do not think I would have got through without taking that break out in the sunshine

@trooworld - I hope you are feeling better today and yes I would like to read that information if you would not mind posting the link.

@theslightedgeforever - I can see you eating this way forever, the losses and the fact it suits your lifestyle is a big factor - it seems to be simply working for you Congrats on the loss - well done

@joannadavison - I am glad you get some steps in tonight. Always a good sign when clothes are getting looser han what they were - well done :)

@gemwolf110 - Glad you have turned your life around - you seem to be enjoying every moment of it

We are heading into the "weekend" - please do not let it turn out to be your "weak end" - found this on another site
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    Hey girls! I'm just popping in real quick to say hi. Work was long today and tomorrow is our all day staff meeting so I won't be on at all. I will catch up with you all on Saturday. <3
  • trooworld
    Options
    Good morning gals! Today is an open house at my job and I have to get all dressed up for it. One of my friends is coming to it (people from the public are allowed to come to see what my company is about), so that should be fun. Last night, when my husband went to make dinner, he discovered the chicken was bad, so we had to order food to be delivered. We made the best choice and ordered poke bowls (which are sort of like sushi bowls except instead of over rice, we order them over lettuce). I thought it would be relatively low-carb, but this morning I tracked it and it ended up being 15g of net carbs, which put me over my carbs for the day yesterday. :( Oh well, I can't do anything about it now.

@joannadavison Apparently that was what was wrong because I felt a lot better yesterday after drinking that Gatorade! And that explains why I was so achy all day the day before lol. I'm sorry you missed the gym, but that's great you can get your steps in. I hate when the plans I make fall through! :(

@TrishasTime So, you are going to work half-day today? I'm sorry you've been picking up the slack for some others. Sure, I did post the link, just click on the blue words within my previous post (they are linked). Let me know if you have any trouble and I'll post the links directly.

@TeresaW1020 Hello!!!

EMPOWERED.
    October goals: track 3 days a week, drink 50 oz of liquids a day, ride the stationary bike 3 times a week, lose 1 lb
  • cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,569 Member
    Options
    Morning all!

I am way behind in everything right now. I have not been walking this week. It's a weird week here at this house. However, I got on the scale yesterday and I am still in maintenance mode.

@trooworld Great job on trying to make good choices. Even though you went over, you did the best you could and that says where your mindset is.

@joannadavison Sorry you missed the gym, how interesting to work for drug company.

@gemwolf110 Sounds like things are turning around for you!!! I am so glad!

@TeresaW1020 Oh I remember those all day staff meetings. I miss those.

@TrishasTime So sorry that you had trouble with the sprinklers.. I was that same person at my job of 30 years. I always said if I knew that my knowledge would actually give me more work...I would stay blonde and dumb. When the 30 years was ended by new management terminating my employment...I probably really believed that. LOL . I am finally over that job and it was a God send not to be in the stress anymore. I know you have great work ethics or you wouldn't be who you are there...I also see that going into your health!!

@theslightedgeforever I am so glad you found your niche.

CBabie
  • renaegry
    renaegry Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Good day all. Got in a Fitbod workout this morning and hope to get in a walk at gymnastics tonight. Depending on the wind. Pretty windy here today.

Jaw is doing so so. Acupuncture was good. Going next week again as well as a tmj massage. Jaw is extremely stifff in left side on the lower side. Effecting teeth eating chewing opening jaw. Hopefully we’ll get it under control soon.

Hope everyone is doing good.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Hi all, well time has gotten away from me again. Went out to the pumpkin patch & picked the gourds (we already had all the pumpkins) and it was a little disappointing, too. I think the weather was just funny this year for a good crop of either. Oh well, enough for me & daughters & gave some away. That's all I really need anyway, lol. Rest of the time busy with little Dr appts for me & DH. Looks like he will be having cataract surgery right after the first of the year. Can't really find a decent time b4 then to do it, between holidays & going to OK, his deer hunting, lol, etc.

@theslightedgeforever --you are doing so well! Keep it up!

@renaegry--hope your TMJ settles down. My oldest dd has had that & pretty painful. She has had chiro treatments for it.

@cbabie--yeah, for maintaining even with a busy time!

Thinking of the rest of you, but forgot to make notes & can't scroll back, lol, so hope you are still doing well.

@TrishasTime --last time I said I was trying a new food plan for me & you asked what it was. I try to set MFP to lose 1/2 or 1#/week, & then try to eat my exercise calories from my Fitbit, since that is the way it is supposed to be set up. But it seems by doing that, I am always going over, so this time I figured out what it says to maintain my weight, lightly active because still trying to average at least 10,000 steps. I made this a round number (1600). That is my goal each day & the exercise calories are my deficit. Kinda the TDEE method, I guess. It just seems easier to stick to that & if I end up eating my exercise calories, I "should" still only be eating at maintenance level. I weigh every day, but average it out on Mondays, & for the first week I lost 3/4#. Too soon to tell if this will really work or not, but been spinning my wheels for so long, it is worth a try, lol. I am not in a hurry, just would like to lose these last 10-20#, lol.
  • TrishasTime
    Options
    Good morning everyone

@trooworld - I have never asked - what does your company do / sell/ make. I think it is a wonderful idea to have a public day. I think you made the best choice you could with a poke bowl, do you now which food items pushed the carbs over? I had eggplant (aubergine) last night and did not realise how carb heavy that was wither.

@RetiredAndLovingIt - I have never eaten back my exercise calories on a daily basis. To me the exercise calories was proof of movement. So how does one go deer hunting if the need cataracts :)

@cbabie - You always come through for me when I need reminding that it is just a job. They looked at me funny when I asked for the half a day ( mind you they owe me 40 hours of extra hours I did). I have not been paid overtime for about 10 years, we use flexi time where you accrue the hours and then take the time off when it suits both parties.

@renaegry - I am glad you are getting some relief for your jaw. Are you able to chew at all?

@TeresaW1020 and @theslightedgeforever - Hope you both are going okay

I am off to a small town for their show. It is just a very simplified show with or dogs doing trials, vendors showing and displaying, no rides, firemen on display (yummy)

Take care
  • its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Hey all, you're in my thoughts. I'm ok. Struggling but ok. I feel like the food and weight stuff is on a backburner. I'm doing my best to keep at it, and not let work and life stress and emotions get to me.

My uncle is doing chemo, and he is in good spirits. I'm getting on top of a difficult work project that has taken a lot of time. Some other personal stuff with my immediate family has come up but I'm trying to get through it.

Hope y'all are well, Happy Thanksgiving to the Canucks on the board!
  • theslightedgeforever
    Options
    @trooworld Great job on avoiding all the food in the break room. Did the gatorade make you feel better? Poke bowls: You made the best choices you could under the circumstances. You could have order pasta or pizza but you didn't. So now you know for next time how much they are and can plan accordingly. It was a learning experience.

@joannadavison It sounds like you are doing well this week staying focused on your plan and your tracking. Keep doing it and that dress will fit like a glove. I have a red dress with white daisies hanging out for me to see everyday. I usually hate flowers on clothes but this one was so cute I bought it only to have it be waaay to small. I can finally button it but it gaps. So I'm hoping by January it will fit.

@trishastime I think it's a good plan for me. It's just a matter of filling out the spreadhsheet each week. I am sort of worried whether or not my cholesterol numbers will go up, but we'll see in March. Maybe somehow the effect of losing weight will drive them down naturally, or just stay the way they were. I'm fortunate that I don't have higher numbers based on what I used to eat. I think I'd like those small town fireman displays. lol

@teresaw1020 How goes the food and fasting?

@cbabie Being in maintenance mode is a good thing because you aren't gaining. Once your weird week is done you can go back to losing. You'll find your niche too.

@renaegry Glad to hear your jaw is much better. Good for you on the fitbod workout.

@retiredandlovingit I think the hardest thing is getting the numbers right but then when you do it's just a matter of staying within the numbers.

@its_cleo Good to hear from you. Just keep in mind "This too shall pass". That's what I always tell myself when faced with circumstances in life that I don't like.

So I lost 1.8 lbs. I was happy about that. Plus 2% body fat since I started on this plan. That works for me too so now to continue. Holidays can be dangerous but are doable. Just a matter of planning ahead each day and sticking to your plan.
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    @theslightedgeforever, congrats on your 1.8 lb. loss!! The food and fasting need to improve! ;)

@its_cleo, Happy Thanksgiving!! Just keep doing your best and don’t beat yourself up if it’s not where you want it to be. Life sure can be messy! <3 Glad your uncle is in good spirits. That will help him get through this very difficult time.

@TrishasTime, firemen on display sounds like a VERY fun day!! :D

@RetiredAndLovingIt, my hubby had cataract surgery a couple of years ago and it helped him so much. It won’t be long before the first of the year. These next two months always rush by sooo fast! What kind of fun do you do with the family for the holidays? :)

@renaegry, glad that the acupuncture helped with your jaw and hope it will continue to improve. <3

@cbabie, good job in staying in maintenance mode. How is the hand? <3

@trooworld, hello!! You did make a good choice with the poke bowl over lettuce. Just think how high those carbs could have been. Mine yesterday was frightful!! :#

Good morning! :) Yesterday’s all-day staff meeting was LONG but good. We, of course, started the day eating breakfast at this very yummy place called Mama’s Boy. I had the bacon, egg, and cheese scramble and half of a biscuit which was huge and sooooo very good. Then we had lunch at our favorite Mexican restaurant and of course, there were snacks to get us through the afternoon. When I came home I was so tired that I let hubby go pick up Chic-Fil-A for dinner. Sooooo my carbs were super high and I got in no exercise. Today is a new day and I’m back on plan!!

I did want to tell you about my really awesome news! On Wednesday we went to the outlet mall to buy a dress for a wedding that is on the 26th. I got a super cute dress in a size 16 regular. NOT plus size!! Then we went to the Wrangler outlet store and I tried on some jeans and ended up with a new pair in a 14 regular. NOT plus size!! I was so excited! I started this journey when I joined WW in 2017 wearing a very tight size 20 stretch jean. If that isn't motivating to get my butt up out of this chair and go workout I don't know what is. B):)
  • trooworld
    Options
    Good morning and happy Saturday gals! I had a busy day yesterday with the open house, I walked a lot, much more than I should have with my plantar fasciitis...my foot was hurting me last night. Today it's not too bad. There was free breakfast in the green room (special room for VIP guests and staff at the open house). I went in there and found the best most appropriate things for my diet: a small square of frittata with meat and some vanilla yogurt. The frittata ended up having some potatoes in it but I ate it anyway and the yogurt had sugar in it so I took one bite and threw it away. I'm going grocery shopping today and hope to do part of my meal prep TODAY so I don't end up not doing it.

@cbabie Maintenance mode is better than gaining mode, but I get what you are saying. re: mindset...thank you, that is true!

@renaegry Sorry you are still struggling with that but glad you are getting treatment.

@RetiredAndLovingIt I hope your hubby's cataract surgery goes well, I've heard it makes a world of difference.

@TrishasTime I will message you privately, if I describe it here, it will be obvious what company it is, and it is a company that some people may have heard of. I don't mind people on here knowing, but I don't want everyone in the public knowing I work there. In the poke bowl, it was the imitation crab that really pushed it over. I will leave that out the next time (even though I love it). How did you have the eggplant? I didn't think it was very carb-heavy either. According to my tracker, raw, 1 cup of eggplant has 2g net carbs (5g total carbs). Have fun at the show, that sounds fun! I love dogs and firemen! lol

@its_cleo Thanks for checking in. ((( HUGS ))) to you in case you need one.

@theslightedgeforever Yes, the Gatorade restored me, believe it or not. It has electrolytes in it, I really think that was the problem. re: poke bowls...I think I would have been okay if I didn't put the imitation crab on it, that was 8g of net carbs. See, I wouldn't know that if I didn't track! Congrats on your loss, you are doing phenomenal!

@TeresaW1020 Yes, that is true! Yes, today is a new day and a new chance to stick to your goals. Wow, congratulations on the NSVs!!! Those are awesome!!! Woot woot! You should be very proud of yourself. Do you keep a list of NSVs anywhere? I do. I look back at the list when I am having a rough day or want to quit. It helps!

EMPOWERED.
  • cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,569 Member
    Options
    Afternoon all! So good to hear all the cherry voices.. You are so encouraging to each other!!!! This is a true community of different people from all different walks of life, but focused on one thing. HEALTH!!!

@its_cleo So glad you stopped by!!! I am sending you hugs and to say it's okay somethings always have to go on the back burner or we reach burn OUT....Just know your life will return to a normal state and your uncle and family will be glad you were there and you will look back without regrets.

@theslightedgeforever yea on the loss!!! I am so proud of you and your detail to things.

@TeresaW1020 Wow that is good news!! See it's always good to have a different perspective, even if we did go over the carb threshold. It really is the journey and not the day.

@TrishasTime I am glad I was here for you, just wish people didn't think the work horses don't need a bale of hay once in a while..LOL . Make sure you take you time. I left the company with so much vacation time, they questioned if it was true. I was a liability not an asset at that point. :) . I could see you and theslightedgeforever going to look for the fireman to start and end the show with. LOL

@RetiredAndLovingIt Sounds like you and your family are close and I love that. I am sure at one point in my life, my Dr will say I need the surgery..but I haven't been in 3 years..so who knows..LOL

Cbabie
  • TrishasTime
    Options
    Good morning everyone

@cbabie - I hope your messy week gets sorted soon. Remember this will pass, staying in maintenance means you are not going backwards

@troworld - thanks for the message. Did you get any meal prep done? I am having grocery delivered today and I am using all the meat out of the freezer, so I am looking for nice recipes - may have to go out and get some things I missed when I read everything

@theslightedgeforever - Yes the fireman were (lets say fit - smurks) I had a good time. Do you measure your body fat via the weight scales?

@teresaw1020 - Life happens - it seems you have got a handle on it BECAUSE YOU ARE ROCKING IT - SIZE 14 _ WOOHOO

Yesterday was a fun day, got in over 15K steps, drank lots of water, brought my lunch so I would not get tempted - I just hope this new version of me sticks around for a long time

Take care everyone
  • theslightedgeforever
    Options
    @teresaw1020 I'm so excited for you being able to buy what I call regular clothes. Not plus size. I remember my first time I did that. I think that's one of the best NSV of all. Of course I've been stuck on the higher size scale of regular clothes for a while and I'm hoping to move down to the middle before long. It's been so long since I was skinny, they've changed all the size numbers. I have no idea what size will be my final destination.

@trooworld You are doing very well on your plan by scanning the food and making the best choices you could. Old trooworld would have made very different choices a year ago. Plus you got in some walking to the detriment of your foot. But you said it's fine now.

@cbabie I laughed at your bale of hay comments. Is your week going any better?

@trishastime Body fat. My son got a new smart scale in the summer and I weigh on it twice a month to see all the variables. Who knows if it's 100% correct. I'm just glad to see downward movement on body fat and upper movement on muscle mass. I weigh on my scale daily for accountability to myself. You had a great day yesterday. Lots of us are doing new things this year aren't we.

@its_cleo I forgot to ask yesterday, do you have any traditional foods that you always celebrate Thanksgiving with?

So another good day for me. Under carbs and cals. I walked with dh at the mall for 27 min and then did another 15 min on the treadmill earlier. I need to be lifting weights on my green days but my mind is just not there yet. So in the meantime, I'll just keep moving my body. Better than sitting on the chair reading.
  • trooworld
    Options
    Hi all! Happy Sunday! I went to my acupuncturist yesterday and talked about my sleep problems and she recommended two things: try melatonin and also this powdered calcium/magnesium supplement called "Calm". I ordered "Calm" from Amazon, it should be getting here Monday, but I got the melatonin locally and tried it last night. Usually, within the first 4 hours of sleep, I wake up an average of 5-6 times, but last night, I only woke up about 3 times the whole entire night! :) I feel more rested for sure. Yesterday afternoon, I meal prepped one of the meals for next week so now, I only have to cook 3 meals + dinner tonight.

@cbabie That is so true, we are good to each other, aren't we?

@TrishasTime I did, I made "One-Pan Creamy Chicken and Spinach" but added mushrooms. I'll post all of my meal prep recipes this week in case you are interested. That's great you got over 15K steps! I always forget to drink water at events, so good on you. And bringing your own lunch is incredibly admirable. WTG!

@theslightedgeforever Yes, this plan works very well for me, I think. You are right about the old trooworld. My poor foot. I wish it would go away lol. Although it is much more fun to sit in the chair reading, it is better to be moving!

@TeresaW1020 Have you tried chaffles yet? My hubby and I made cheeseburger chaffles last night and they were delicious! For those that don't know what a chaffle is, a chaffle is a waffle made with cheese and egg that lets keto dieters use it as a bun for burgers, or use it as a base to make a pizza, or sweet treats. I will post a pic I found on the internet of a chaffle burger that looks similar to what our burger looked like.

Here is what I am meal prepping this week, in case anyone needs inspiration:
    Caprese Steak Salad
    One-pan Creamy Chicken And Spinach (already made yesterday)
    Keto Cheesy Mexican Skillet Chicken
    The Ultimate Greek Salad + grilled chicken breasts
    Instant Pot Egg Roll Bowl

2hw5gdkckqdr.jpg

EMPOWERED.
  • TrishasTime
    Options
    Good morning everyone

@trooworld - You make some very interesting meals and yes I do need the inspiration, thank you. I am glad you were able to get some more sleep.

@theslightedgeforever - At the moment - what you are doing is working for you, perhaps add weights when it stops working. I am sure that you are using your muscles in everyday chores

I had a good stepping weekend, so I am pleased with that. The low carb meals I am been making has rewarded me with a good loss this week. I am hoping it is not all water related

Hope everyone else who passes by is doing fine

Take care