NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Replies

• mswatson0777
    mswatson0777 Posts: 290 Member
    Hi Everyone,

This seems like a great motivation group and I love the idea of the daily check in. I had a bit of a weight gain this past year (my father passed away in February, but if I'm being honest with myself it started long before that). I'm the highest I've ever been and I'm scared to see this trajectory continuing. I know the holidays may be a challenging time to start back in, but if not now, then when?

A little about myself: I live in the midwest with my partner and our two very cute, but very naughty dogs. I work full time at a job and a year ago I decided to return to school to get my doctorate for career advancement (both a wonderful decision and a "what was I thinking?!" moment). I'm fairly active and love walking the dogs, doing yoga, and practicing martial arts.

I look forward to getting to know you all!
    Watson
  • cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Just stopping by quickly...many meetings today...but I did get on the treadmill. Yea, it's cold and raining here. You walk faster when you're cold. LOL . My weight is going in the wrong direction, so have to put the stops on some things..

@trooworld I love Sweet Potatoes!! You listen to you body...it really tells us what it needs.

@theslightedgeforever Yea on the weight loss. You are doing GREAT!!!!!!

cbabie
  • theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,211 Member
    edited November 2019
    @trooworld Yes it's that time of year for some chili. I think I will make some tomorrow. Good plan.

@mswatson0777 Welcome to the group! I love your profile pic. Very cute.Sorry to hear of your father's passing. cbabie and I lost our father about 2 1/2 years ago. It can be a very difficult time. Yes if not now, then when. Here's some advantages to starting now instead of Jan 1 like most people. These are from list of why I want to stay on track during the holiday season.
    I’ll feel more in control.
    I won’t have to worry about getting back on track in January and starting over again.
    All my clothes will continue to fit through the holidays and into the New Year.
    I won’t worry about what to wear to holiday parties because I’ll know that everything will fit and look good.
    I won’t undo all my good work from the rest of the year.
    Last year, I gained 10 lbs in about 4-6 weeks. It took me about 6 months to lose that. Then I went on vacation and gained back the 10 lbs. It's taken me 2 months to lose that round. I'm not doing that again in 2020.

@cbabie I know how much you love the cold. NOT! Now reverse your thinking. It's time to put some STARTs on some things. Start tracking every day even if it's just one meal. Start exercising for at least 5 days a week even it's just 5 min to build the habit. Start eating more fruits and veggies and less PB. :wink: Start putting yourself first so you can take care of the rest of your family. Woohoo for getting on the treadmill. Better than just sitting.

So I have 4 NSVs to share. 1) I can wrap my towel further around me than before 2) I put on a pair of exercise shorts that I never wear and they were much looser 3) I dug out my winter jammies from last year and the waistband is tied with a drawstring that's knotted. They are so loose. I'm going to need some new jammies. 4) I keep a list of cards on Trello under the list What Happens if I consistently follow my food plan. (I read those each day) One of the cards said I'll finally be able to fit into those camel brown pants I bought. Today I got to move that card to the Worth It Memories list. Now that card says I finally fit into those camel brown pants I bought. Woohoo!
    It's days like these that keep me moving forward and telling myself just keep sticking to the plan. Plus my plan makes it easier as I'm not restricted on anything as long as I plan it in advance and stay within my colors and portion control.

Green day-195/238 carbs Stayed OP I did go over calories by 120. 1/2 slice of pizza I had with my salad. I made pizza for the family and it just looked too darn good. I checked the carbs to make sure I could still fit it in and yes I could. So I opted for a 1/2 piece instead of a whole to give myself the taste to enjoy. I danced for 36 min to a YouTube video named 80's aerobic hits. Nice change of pace from what I normally do.

November goals: continue following carb cycling program each day, strength training 2 times a week. 4.5 glasses of water.

• trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,868 Member
    Good morning everyone! I'm going to the doctor's today. I'm going to show him my food logs and ask him why I haven't been losing weight. I've been averaging 1700 calories and low carbs, so I don't see why I shouldn't be losing...I have lost 5.7 lbs since Sept 30. Not good enough. He never seems to believe me when I say I'm eating good, so I'll show him what I am eating. I'm also going to ask about the symptoms I've been having.

@mswatson0777 Welcome! I'm very sorry for the loss of your father. This is a great place to check-in, it is honestly very motivating to come here on a daily basis...whether I am doing well or not, I still check-in. I'm originally from the midwest, myself. I live on the west coast now. I'm sure getting your doctorate can be very stressful! What is your doctorate in, if I can ask? That's great that you are so active. I love dogs, too. I have one myself. Again, welcome, it's great to have you join the group! :)

@cbabie WTG, getting on the treadmill! I love sweet potatoes, too. ;)

@theslightedgeforever It is! Even here on the west coast, it's been raining and cold. Perfect time. Congrats on the NSVs, those are awesome and powerful to remember!!! Yeah! LOL to dancing to 80s aerobics hits. Did you have a headband on too? ;)

EMPOWERED.
    November goals: track 5 days a week, drink 50 oz of liquids a day, ride the stationary bike 5 minutes a day 3 times a week, lose 2 lb
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    @trooworld, I hope the doctor visit goes well and that your doctor can provide some answers! I hear you about wanting beans and sweet potatoes back in your diet! I am especially missing them at this time of the year when I love to make chili. I’m on the struggle bus too and need to figure out what I’m doing. But we NEVER give up, do we? ;)

@theslightedgeforever, what fantastic NSVs you have had!! B) I am so proud of you! You are proof of what happens when you stay consistent and committed to your plan. I have a pair of super cute red plaid jammies that I bought two years ago at Khols and there is a good chance that I might be wearing them this Christmas morning. You have just given me a little more added motivation. Thanks!! :)

@cbabie, good job on getting on the treadmill. How are you going to get your weight to go in the right direction? You need a plan of action! <3

@mswatson0777, welcome to our group!! Cute doggy! :) So sorry for the loss of your father. Good for you for deciding to do something to change your trajectory now and not just wait for the New Year. Yes, this time of the year is super hard but it can really help if you make a plan and do your very best to stick to it. You are very active which is great! What are your biggest struggles with food? Do you have a specific plan you follow?

Good morning! I woke up to my 20 lb. turkey (for the church’s Thanksgiving dinner) thawing its bloody juices all over my fridge and into my cheese/meat drawer. :s Such a rookie mistake to not put it on a tray. Hubby jumped in and helped me clean up the mess, so all is right again…and my meat/cheese drawer is now clean and organized! :D I lost half a pound this week. I was hoping for more, but I did weights yesterday, and my muscles are killing me this morning. Plus, I ate wayyyy too much cheese yesterday. I’m going to really try to rework the foods that I eat on Keto. Diet Doctor has a meal plan that I’m going to look into following. With everything coming up in the next few weeks, I really need to stay focused. I might not lose any weight before the end of the year but I sure as heck don’t intend to gain any! Have a great day everyone! :)
  • mswatson0777
    @cbabie So true about walking faster when it's cold. I live in the midwest and my dog walks fly by around this time of year!

@TeresaW1020 Thank you for the warm welcome! And congrats on the 1/2lb loss! I don't follow any specific meal plan, I'm just trying to eat under 2K daily, get over 100g of protein a day, and keep my sugar under control. Sweet foods are my Achilles heel, they're what I comfort eat and what I have a hard time stopping. Sticking to this has really worked for me in the past so I'm confident as long as my mindset is right it'll work again.

@trooworld Thank you so much for the welcome! I'm getting my doctorate in higher education administration (the title isn't very exciting, but it should really help with career advancement). What kind of dog do you have?? And I love the west coast so I can see why you relocated!

@theslightedgeforever I'm so sorry to hear about your father too. And I 100% agree with your list of reasons. My goal is for my holiday dress to fit better at Christmas than it does now (cause it is definitely tight!). And great NSVs! Dancing to 80s music sounds like so much fun!

Happy Friday Everyone! I'm excited for the weekend, but even more excited for the holiday break next weekend. It will be so nice to get out of town and see my in-laws (I'm one of those weird people that absolutely loves visiting their in-laws on holidays, I won the in-law lottery!). Hopefully everyone's day goes well. We're starting today with a retirement celebration and cake, which I'm avoiding (cake at 8:30am=/=great). Instead I'll enjoy my coffee and the celebration and avoid the break room for the rest of the day. Thank you all again for the warm welcome!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Hi all, did a bunch of errands today, then mowed the grass to mulch up the leaves. It was cold, but won't need to do the treadmill today.

@cbabie Great getting on the treadmill. I never liked sweet potatoes as a kid, but now I almost prefer them to regular potatoes. Of course, I put a little bit of brown sugar & butter with them. ;)

@TeresaW1020 Congrats on the 1/2#. They say your muscles will retain fluid to recover after weight lifting, so that might be masking more of a loss. We are having dd & family here for turkey on Sunday, then will be hopping in the car to head to other dd for Thanksgiving. So my turkey is in the frig thawing, too. Haven't checked it, but do have a pan under it.

@trooworld Good idea to get things checked out. Hope all is Ok. I meant to ask my Dr what my goal should be, but forgot, so guess I'll just have to see what I think. I doubt if I would ever get too thin, lol.

@theslightedgeforever Great NSV's! And good tips as always..you make me think about what I really want & how to go about it.

@mswatson0777 Welcome to the group. I am not as consistent about checking in as most of the others here, but I try. Sorry about your father. It does get easier. I am also from the Midwest (Iowa). Your plan sounds similar to mine, but I am limiting myself for calories a little more (I am older so am trying to tell myself I don't need as many. Doesn't always work, tho!)
  • its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    @trooworld I think the Mediterranean diet is a good compromise. I don’t think I could do keto myself. I’m glad your unsteadiness has gone away. I’m sorry you’re struggling healthwise, that is always difficult. I think showing your doctor what you’re eating is a great idea. Honestly 1700 calories is reasonable for someone trying to have some weight loss, in my humble opinion anyway. And that is based on my experience. Not that I’m an expert anyway.
    Canadian history…you know I have to look all this stuff up I don’t remember it lol, though I learned it in school. But in school I didn’t pay much attention. It was in the 1600s when people first came to Canada, both England and France had colonies. Overtime the English colonies were larger and eventually England and France got into a conflict over it- the colonists fought, and the English took over. This was in the 1700s. But that’s why we have Quebec, which is still majority French. During the American Revolution, there were some people loyal to the crown that travelled north to Canada.

History is interesting, I wish I had studied it more. I don’t know much American history either. If I had more free time I would love to take some history classes. There are a bunch of universities that allow people to take courses for free, or they post their lectures and readings so you can follow along.

@theslightedgeforever – that is a brilliant idea with the pumpkin puree. And congrats what a great loss! You’ve earned it, you work so hard on your plan. You really are an inspiration and I’m going to go back and read your suggestions and everyone’s for the holidays.

Hey @mswatson0777 welcome! That is cool about the martial arts- I’ve done maybe 5 hours of that and it’s fun, but I don’t feel fit enough to continue. I love weight lifting. Yeah the holidays are hard, I’m struggling with the thought of it myself. But this is a great group. Also that is great about going back to school! Would love to hear more about it. Sorry about the loss of your father.

@cbabie congrats on getting on the treadmill. And you’re very right- listening to our body is important. I try to do that.

@TeresaW1020 I think you’re doing so well with the exercising. Are you enjoying it or does it seem like a chore?

Sorry I haven’t been posting much, just busy Mon-Fri. As I said, last Sunday night I fell down some icy stairs. I’m lucky I didn’t break anything and was just banged up some. Monday was the worst, my neck and head hurt a lot because I fell backwards and then slid down the stairs. On top of it my client is going through a security audit and the auditors wanted to talk to me (I work in security/privacy) so Monday I had 2 hrs with auditors lol. I just called in, but it was a lot of caffeine and advil to get through.

I’m feeling a little better now and very grateful I didn’t break anything. My neck and upper back is not good at the best of times, so it is still a bit stiff.

My gym was having a 30 day challenge and I went 19 days in a row, and I missed day 20. So I am disappointed in myself, but I will keep it up for the rest of the month and see how much I do. One thing I was disappointed about was one of the prizes was 30 minutes with their nutritionist for nutritional counselling. So I was interested in that, but I won’t get it now unfortunately.

In terms of holidays the one thing I have decided is that for my birthday I will just get a fancy coffee with whipped cream. I never do that. Unfortunately the auditors want to meet with me that day too lol. Oh well.
    I gained some weight earlier in the fall, but I have dropped a couple of pounds so I am pleased.

It is not Thanksgiving for me this weekend, but for you guys I wish you the best and hope you have a super holiday 😊
  • theslightedgeforever
    Quick check in tonight. Remember all the fun I was having with my 4 NSV feeling on top of the world? Well the scale can really knock you back down quickly. lol Up 2 lbs but it has to be sodium bloat or hormonal stuff because I have been exercising this week and following my plan. Anyway I have almost a week to get it back down to losing range. So I've told myself Oh well, let's move on.

High Yellow day- Stayed OP 154/164 carbs No exercise. Onto tomorrow.
  • trooworld
    Hello everyone! I went to the doctor and he didn't tell me much. I asked him about my symptoms and he said he doesn't think I have diabetes because my numbers weren't too high last time, but he'd check my blood anyway. He couldn't explain my symptoms but said to stop taking my new medication for a few days and if the symptoms went away, then they were from the medication. I showed him my food logs from the past two weeks and he said that looked good. All he could say is that I need to exercise. :( Well, I didn't tell him this but the only time I have to exercise is on the weekends. He would just hear that as an excuse. But it's true: I have a 2-3 hour commute every day, I can't exercise during the week. :/

@TeresaW1020 Thanks, see above about the doctor. Yes to the chili! NO, we never ever ever give up! Oh that stinks about the turkey mess. :( Congrats on the half-pound loss, at least it's in the right direction. Good luck reworking your foods and have a great day!

@mswatson0777 Well congrats on your decision to further your education and career opportunities! I have an ornery pug lol. What kind are your two doggies? That's great you love your in-laws. I actually love mine, too! We are lucky, so many people don't lol. Have fun at your celebration!

@RetiredAndLovingIt See above for my visit results. Inconclusive really.

@its_cleo I think it is, too. I'm looking forward to the variety. I think 1700 cals is reasonable, too. I have figured out my basal metabolic rate and it's something like 2,200 cals that I should be burning just by existing, so technically I should be losing at 1700 but my doctor is lame and thinks I need to exercise lol. That's really interesting about Canada's history. I've been to Quebec, it's fascinating how people speak French there. I'm glad you are feeling a bit better. Well, it's no wonder you missed the 20th day, you hurt yourself. Don't be so hard on yourself. This weekend isn't Thanksgiving for us either, it's on Thursday, but I am buying my Thanksgiving groceries so that's an event and a sport. :) Have a great weekend!!!

@theslightedgeforever Remember the scale is just data. Move on. Have a good day.

EMPOWERED.
    November goals: track 5 days a week, drink 50 oz of liquids a day, ride the stationary bike 5 minutes a day 3 times a week, lose 2 lb
  • TrishasTime
    TrishasTime Posts: 588 Member
    Good morning everyone

I am back :0 Scales are unhappy, but at least I got on them. Returning to the Keto way of life and using carb manager instead of MFP.

Too many posts to read through, but I hope everyone is happy. Will catch you all again later

Trish
  • theslightedgeforever
    @trooworld Can you find 15 min to exercise 3 days a week during the week? Then do more on the weekends. You were riding your bike. What happened to that? Try cutting your calories down to 1600 and see if you start losing. Your body just might need less. I don't know how much you weigh but for instance I only need about 1486 average for the week to lose. Since I've lost weight since August, I've had to cut down my calories a bit. Because I'm not burning as much anymore just breathing and all. Well good news is that he doesn't seem to think it's diabetes. 80's aerobics. No headband but I did get out my 80's leotard. I've kept it all these years thinking one day I'll get back into it. It's so tiny. lol Yes, scale numbers are just data. Thanks for the reminder.

@teresaw1020 Sounds like you have a plan for the holidays. Celebrate every 1/2 lb loss I say. Woohoo. That's still 26 lb loss in a year. When's the last time you lost 26 lbs in a year? I don't know that I ever have now that I think about it. Evidently I'm on the 30 year mortgage scenic route to goal. I made chili tonight.

@mswatsons0777 That's great that you get along with your inlaws. Makes the holiday season more fun. Yes I believe it's all about the mindset. Soon that Christmas dress will fit a bit better.

@Retiredandlovingit I don't really know what my goal should be either. I've been fat for too long. I looked good back in my leotard at 128 lbs. So I added 7 lbs for age and I think around 135. I'm short. Only 5 2 and 1/2. But we'll see where my body will take me. I'll just keep tweaking my calories a bit through food and exercise until I stop losing and once I'm there I guess I will have arrived. lol

@its_cleo I thought that was interesting about the American Revolution and how some people still loyal to the crown decided to go live in Canada versus the alternative. Now the whole Quebec French thing makes sense too. I enjoy history now that I'm older than before. Look how many days you did the 30 day challenge. That's impressive in itself versus dwelling on the one day you missed. But I know you wanted that counseling. Maybe that can be next year's birthday present to yourself. A little in a jar each month and then Happy B-Day to You.

@trishastime Welcome back. I hope you had a good holiday. Just start anew and you'll be back to losing in no time.

Green Day Stayed OP 204/238 carbs Exercised 48 min walking Onto tomorrow.....

New NSV- Went to a mall I hadn't been to in about 3 years. The plan was to walk the first floor and then climb the stairs and walk the second floor. The stairs are built like stairs/landing/stairs. In the past by the middle of the second stairs my thighs are burning and screaming and then when I finally make it to the top I'm bent over panting and gasping for air. No lie. Usually telling the person I'm with Wait, just wait. Let me catch my breath. Today was such a different experience. I flew up those stairs and while I was a bit winded at the top I didn't have to stop and catch my breath. So I'm definitely in much better shape.
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member

@theslightedgeforever, yeah I haven’t ever lost 26 lbs in a year either. I think I’m on the same scenic route too! :D That is a great NSV about climbing those stairs! When I went to the concert a few weeks we had floor seats so afterward I had to climb what felt like a million stairs back to the top and once up there I was barely winded. My husband commented on how a year earlier I wouldn’t have been able to do that without panting and whining that I was dying. Progress is a great thing, isn’t it!

@TrishasTime, welcome back!! <3 I hope you had a wonderful time and got in some needed “me” time for yourself.

@trooworld, I’m glad the doctor doesn’t think you have diabetes and hopefully, the blood test will prove that to be true. I know that your exercising is very hard to do with your work and compute. I know you are frustrated but you have to work with where you are at. Maybe cut your calories some, no nighttime eating, get in a lot of water and see if that helps. I have read countless posts on FB and here about people who have lost all their weight and never did a lick of exercise. You got this!! <3

@its_cleo, I’m glad you are on the mend from your nasty fall but do make sure to take it very easy with your back and neck. At least with your fitness level, you know how to stretch and use good form while working out. Yes, to fancy coffee for your birthday and yuck to having to deal with auditors. I am loving my Beachbody workouts. Right now we are doing this program called The Shift Shop and I’m not a big fan of the trainer. He is wayyyyy over the top in his motivation and I find it annoying. Last week I did the prep week and the real three-week program begins tomorrow. Hopefully, I can stick it out and see some nice benefits. I’ve already seen my range of motion improve and yesterday I actually did a few push-ups up on my toes. B)

@RetiredAndLovingIt, I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family! Do you have a specialty that your kids insist you make every year? My daughter always demanded my deviled eggs, which were nothing special but she loved them. :)

@mswatson0777, yup sweets are a huge issue for me too! It sounds like you have a good plan and you are right that sticking to is key. I hope you have a wonderful time with your family and good for you for staying away from that cake! :)

@cbabie, I hope you are doing ok this weekend! <3

Good morning! :) It’s cold and sunny here today and tonight is our church family Thanksgiving dinner, which I’m really looking forward to. Yesterday, I went and helped decorated and set up the Fellowship Hall and it looks great! I also cooked my turkey and it turned out perfect!

So, I’ve been contemplating the upcoming holiday season and how to handle it with my diet. I figured out that I have 7 eating events scheduled between today and the end of the year. Most of these events are traditions that I love and only come at this time of the year. But they don’t exactly fit into a strict Keto diet. So, I did some thinking and I decided that it really doesn't have to be an all or nothing choice. I'm going to do the best I can at these events while at the same time enjoy my family, friends, and yes, the food! I'm not going to strive to do perfect Keto but instead, just try to stick to low-carb eating as much as I can. I will continue my workouts and intermittent fasting. Last year, when I was almost 20 lbs heavier, I had the same mentality and from November to January my weight jumped up and down but I ended up with no gain at all. If that happens this year then I will call it a success! ;)
  • its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    @TeresaW1020 that sounds like a good plan for the holidays. So far I only have a couple of things confirmed- my birthday I will just have a fancy coffee. On Dec 14 we have a big family get together and I decided I won’t eat any of the desserts there but I will enjoy the meal. Last year I tried to moderate but ended up eating like 6 different squares lol. As soon as I have one I’m a goner, so I figure I would skip it.

My other goal- normally I limit myself to 4 drinks a week. For the last 2 weeks of Dec I will allow myself 5 if needed. I still need to figure out the rest of my calories.
    Hope you enjoy your church dinner!- And I love it about the stairs! Stairs are great exercise.

@theslightedgeforever I’m 5’2”, 42 years old, and if I got to around 140 I would be happy. I would really like 135 but I don’t know if it’s possible. Same comment- that is great about the stairs!

@trooworld I hope you get some good news re the diabetes.

Well my weight is up a bit this weekend. I don’t care I did pretty well with calories all week, so I’m happy with that.
    Went for breakfast with my uncle today (not the one with cancer, I have a few uncles lol) and I splurged and had pancakes with bananas, pecans, whipped cream, and some caramel sauce. Probably a billion calories lol but I really enjoyed it. I will go for a run later if I can roll myself off the couch. I feel super lazy.

I’m pretty well healed from falling except one of my fingers is still sore- I jammed it into one of the stairs going down and it was very sore. But my neck feels much better. And all the snow and ice here has melted.

Tomorrow I have to go to the office and I figured I would walk in to try to get some more exercise. It’s about 5 km. I usually don’t walk because I feel like I’m carrying 10lbs of crap but I’m going to give it a try.

Also tomorrow is my last cooking class. I have probably 50 recipes, some were very good, a lot of carbs. Lots of rice, beans, we made palak paneer, naan. We made one dish with eggplant that was awesome. It’s been fun, but I’m ready for it to come to an end.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend.
  • TrishasTime
    TrishasTime Posts: 588 Member
    Good morning everyone

@theslightedgeforever - What a great NSV.

@trooworld - I hope the tests come out okay

@Teresaw1020 - Remember all the foods around at Christmas is there during the year, pumpkin, ham, turkey etc You can only make the best choices on the day - good luck.

@its_cleo - I am sorry to hear about your fall - not nice at all

@cbabie - Hello - Hope you are doing okay

@mswatson0777 - Welcome to the group - love your avatar

Back at work today, the carb manager app is very enlighting love how they grade the foods A to F. Got some really nice Christmas receipes from there

Take care
  • mswatson0777
    @RetiredAndLovingIt Sounds like you had an active day! I'm in Iowa a lot visiting family, Des Moines and Iowa City are fun towns!

@TrishasTime Thank you! What's the favorite holiday recipe you found?

@its_cleo I love the idea of deciding how many drinks you plan on for the week, but having some flexibility. I'm setting up the same plan with desserts

@TeresaW1020 How was the holiday event at your church? Great idea planning out how many celebration days are ahead so you know what to expect

@theslightedgeforever Great NSV!!! That had to have felt so good!

@TrishasTime Good for you for getting back to it, that's one of the hardest parts!

@trooworld I've got an American Bulldog and a Pitbull :) I'm glad to hear you dont have diabetes but it must be frustrating not knowing what is going on, I hope you get an answer soon

Hi Everyone! I've had an intensely busy weekend filled of friends and get togethers which was super fun, but challenging with food. I stayed on plan all but one day which was better than I expected. I am completely exhausted going into this work week, but at least it's short thanks to the holiday? Hope you all had wonderful weekends as well!
  • theslightedgeforever
    @teresaw1020 We may be slow but we are making progress. Yaaay on the concert stairs. I think good call on the holiday plan. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. You are going to be following Teresa's Holiday Plan until the beginning of the year. So what exactly does that look like? How many carbs will you allow yourself? Will it be a lower number on non event days and then a higher number for your events? Or will you have a set number that stays constant for the next 5 weeks.

@trooworld Yes Teresa is correct on many people lose weight but don't do much exercise. But that means cutting calories. Don't cut alot but cut a little at a time until you get to a weight loss rate that is comfortable for you. I was cutting 50 calories a day. Just for one out of the 7 days. Then I needed more so I went to lowering 50 on 2/7 days. Then 3/7 then decided to add 25 more burned calories because I really hate to cut calories. This was over a month. Then Whoosh. I have to keep myself at a calorie level that I know is going to make me lose but at the same time keep me from feeling deprived because I won't do it consistently long term and then I'll gain back all the weight I've lost. So pick a day and shoot for 1650. Your body really does get used to less calories I find.

@its_cleo Looks like we are all getting our holiday food plans in place. That's so much better than winging it. Oh I had you pegged in your early 30's. I might be dreaming with the 135. I really don't know. It's been decades. So we'll see when I get there. I think it would be dangerous for me if I learned how to cook Naan.

@trishastime Nice comment on the foods are there year round. Also we need to remember that it is a holiDAY not a holiday SEASON. In my 100 day book it was talking about making concrete plans for the day before the big day, the day of the big day, and then the days following the big day. Because we treat it like a whole week. I hope the carb manager works for you. Sounds a lot like fooducate. I liked seeing the grades but hated double tracking. I still think MFP has the best data base. I just wish they would add GRADES.

@mswatson0777 You did great this week staying OP all but one day. Woohoo. I'm taking my events one day at a time. I have 4 currently scheduled. Enjoy your time with friends and family.

Red Day- Stayed OP 92/100 Exercise-49 min walk. I had walking club today at the mall. Granny Flo came for a visit today so now I know where that sudden 2 lbs came from. Hopefully she won't stay long and will take all her bloat with her. Being close to menopause is no fun because you just never know.

• trooworld
    Hello gals! Sorry I went MIA over the weekend, I had a lot to do. I'm glad it's a short week! I did a little meal prep yesterday, here's what I meal prepped:

Hummus III + Briam (Greek Baked Zucchini and Potatoes) + Koftedes Greek Meatballs
    Caramelized Onion, Apple and Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash
    Curried Red Lentil and Pumpkin Soup + Beer Bread
    Chicken, Feta Cheese, and Sun-Dried Tomato Wraps

@TrishasTime Hello and welcome back! It's so nice to "see" you! You'll see by my recipes that I switched to Mediterranean diet, keto wasn't working for me. Keto works for a lot of people, just not me! :( I liked carb manager a lot, it's a really great program. Good to have you back!

@theslightedgeforever Not really. I really don't have 15 minutes. Not in the morning and at night, I don't have the energy. Wait, I guess if I get up 15 minutes earlier I could. I'm going to do this: I'm going to buy these expensive inserts for my shoes that my officemate has that supposedly will take the pain away. I will then try walking for exercise 20 minutes a day in the morning before work. But I have to wait until I have the money to buy the inserts, which will likely be around Christmas time. I weigh 236.2 lbs. The last time I figured out how many calories I needed to eat to lose weight, my maintenance calories were 1859. I've been eating an average of 1700 calories, so I should be losing weight. Yes, it is good news that I don't have diabetes, I am very happy about that! What a wonderful experience at the mall, congratulations!!! I think part of my problem is I'm still not drinking enough water. And I may try to cut calories like you are saying.

@TeresaW1020 Thanks. I know I'll figure it out eventually! I hope you enjoy your church's Thanksgiving dinner. It sounds like a fun event. It sounds like you have a healthy attitude towards the holiday season and I have no doubt you will succeed.

@its_cleo Thanks, I think it will be all good. I'm glad you are healed from your fall.

@mswatson0777 Awww, I bet they are adorable, I love both those types of doggies! Yes, it is frustrating not knowing what is going on. I am feeling a bit better though, so that is good. Congrats on staying OP (on plan), I hope you have a good day today!

EMPOWERED.
  • mswatson0777
    @trooworld Your meal prep sounds AMAZING! I might have to try those wraps!

@theslightedgeforever The bloat is the worst! At least we know it's temporary, but it's still so frustrating

Someone brought in more cake today for the retiree so I'm staying far, far away from the break room again today. Luckily it's chocolate cake (I'm a vanilla cake girl). I packed my homemade breakfast and lunch so I'm ready to tackle the day. I also have extra incentive because I weighed in this morning and I dropped 3.1lbs!!! I know a lot of that is bloat/water weight, but it still feels good to start off on the right foot so to speak. I'm hoping this will also incentivize me to stay on track through Thanksgiving weekend at my in-laws. I haven't been successful there yet, but there's always a first, right? And it's only 3 days and only one of those is a holiday. I can do this!!!

Advice time! I've got a work potluck next week (can you tell we're a very food centered office?). What do you like to make for potlucks?
  • mswatson0777
    PS- I have now been offered chocolate cake, pie, caramel apple cheesecake, doughnuts, and banana bread today...and it is only 1:22pm. Send help!!!