NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Replies

• trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,880 Member
    @mswatson0777 Hey it's good to "see" you! I'm sorry about all of the stress. That's good you aren't getting on the scale right now. At first I was going to make a marshmallow buttercream from the Bravetart cookbook but then I realized it was way above my skillset lol. I actually found a cheaters buttercream frosting recipe that is supposed to be a lot easier to make. I'm making the chocolate one but she has a vanilla version, too. I'll share both versions in case you want to try either. I recommend watching the videos that go along with the recipes:
    https://sugargeekshow.com/recipe/best-chocolate-buttercream-frosting/
    https://sugargeekshow.com/recipe/easy-buttercream-frosting/

@cbabie Oh no! I'm sorry about the bad news at the dentist. Are you going to get a nightguard? I have one of those because I grind my teeth, too. Yeeees, I can see me running around like a chicken with my head cut off lol! And to top it all off, I WAS going to bake the cake today but my MIL wants me to run her around today to get gifts for my SIL so I can't bake it during the day. I guess I'll be a night baker tonight. AND we are having our new mattress delivered tomorrow and I'm supposed to be making the frosting and decorating the cake tomorrow AND ordering Chinese food and picking that up AND a hauling service is coming to pick up our old mattress in the morning tomorrow. Geez, I don't know, maybe I'll end up throwing the cake in the trash and buying a supermarket cake lol!

@theslightedgeforever As much as I wanted to drink a lot of water yesterday, my water was a bust, too. I drank 17 oz of water! I think my SIL will appreciate the effort even if it isn't perfect. I'm sorry yours are like that. I'm sure when you were younger, it used to hurt your feelings?

Good morning everyone. I found an easier buttercream frosting recipe (see links above) which should relieve some stress but the frosting might not turn out because it's so hot and heat isn't good for buttercream frosting. :( If it fails, I'm going to cover the cake in a chocolate ganache which I've done a million times and know works. Saturday will be a busy day: a hauler is coming in the morning to take away our old mattress, I have to decorate the cake, the new mattress is being delivered, I have to order food for the birthday dinner, my husband has to also be in the kitchen to make Chinese BBQ pork, we have to wait for Amazon to deliver a bunch of packages including the birthday girl's gift, and finally we have to go to the birthday dinner itself. I usually also go get groceries on Saturdays but I'm putting that off until Sunday this week.

COMMITTED.
    August goals: get at least 7 1/2 hours of sleep every night, drink 2 (26 oz) bottles of water a day
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    @trooworld HaHa, I am just like you when I have to make food for people. I hope your cake turns out perfectly and exactly the way you want it to. The staff is throwing a bridal shower for our worship pastor and his fiancé THIS Sunday! I was told yesterday and spent all last evening on Pinterest trying to figure out what I can make and how we can decorate the room. :grin

@mswatson0777 I hope you can get some relaxation this weekend. You need definitely need some rest and some fun. <3

@cbabie Ouch I am sorry that the dentist did go well for you. I hope that you can figure out how to quit the grinding of your teeth. <3

Good morning! The babysitting went great. He is a very good boy when he is not with his big brother who is 10 months older. I had a long day yesterday and went to lunch again with the staff. My weight is up this morning. Maybe I should change my weigh-in day from Friday’s since I keep eating Mexican on Thursdays. :grin: Today’s plan is to work out, do some church work on the computer. I also need to work on a bridal shower that I’m co-hosting this Sunday. It’s just 12 people so it won’t be to crazy but I still want it to be nice. :)
  • cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,563 Member
    Morning all, I laughed as I read all the comments. I truly enjoy this group of gals. I did get on my TM today and I enjoyed it. I even got a shower..I will take the little things in life. Sometimes working from home, you don't always get your shower and dressed. I really ate bad last night. I was so mad at myself and it came out on my DH. plus he is watching this show that is stressing me out. There is a deceitful cop and he is really a bad guy and the good people are getting accused and on trial. I am ready to punch the TV. LOL

@TeresaW1020 I will figure out how not to grind my teeth. I am determined..grind grind grind. LOL. I hope the shower goes well.

@trooworld oh my you are busy this weekend, hope you get some down time. Buttercream is my favorite frosting...I can eat it until I am sick LOL

@theslightedgeforever I of course love a sister who has all these ideas for ME..LOL. Actually they are good ideas, but its really been too hot at 1pm here. It's cooling off this weekend a BIT. Yes I have to move more. I decided that is why our granny lived so long. She fried everything in Crisco and still lived along time. She was a hard working woman. So you just make sure you take your own creative wisdom. LOL

Cbabie
  • theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,213 Member
    @trooworld I'm sure anything made with chocolate will be a hit. So what about YOU this Saturday? What special thing are you going to do for yourself? I know you are thinking oh I'm too busy I'll do it another day. But busy people get things done. Can you commit to half your water goal on that day? or commit to 5 min sitting in your bedroom with headphones on listening to some zen music with your eyes closed? Something that is good for you.

@teresaw1020 Actually that changing of the weigh in day helped me years ago. Because of my social life, I would always weigh in on Monday's too heavy. Then it discouraged me from getting started. So I put it on Thursday because I had book club and other things on Thursday evenings. I could hyperfocus on Sunday-Wednesday and still lose some weight by Thursday weigh in. It seemed to work for me and kept me motivated for the next week. Try it and see, you can always switch back if you want. Dh always says I make better food for others than I do for him. I'm like you will eat anything though. I have a reputation to uphold elsewhere. I used to be the baker in all my groups because that was what I was good at. Now I'm getting a reputation of being a cook. (I don't think I'll ever make chef status) People are always surprised when they say who made this and I will say me. Then they look really shocked. I'm like you don't have to look that shocked people. lol

@cbabie Yaaay for getting on your treadmill. I bet those other plans shocked you into doing it. I didn't say you had to work out at 1. 6 or 7 pm is cooler. I agree with taking my own wisdom. Still working on that.

Yellow Day- Went over 177/164 Intentional Movement: nada

August goals: Green dot day :( Drink 6 glasses of water :( Burn 225 cals via movement :( Preplan food :(
  • trooworld
    @TeresaW1020 haha I'm glad I'm in good company! ;) I hope it turns out good, too! Good luck being super decorator ;) I know you'll do a good job! Have a great day!

@cbabie I do, too. My morning isn't right if I don't get on here and see what is happening. ;) How's the little one sleeping? I take it better since you were able to do all of those things? It's easy to get mad at the TV, so much to get mad about nowadays. lol I do hope I get some downtime, too! Buttercream is my favorite as well. I hope I don't taste it when I'm making it or there might not be any frosting on the cake! LOL

@theslightedgeforever The special thing I'm going to do for me today is enjoying the mattress that we bought (it's getting delivered today) lol. Besides that, if it isn't too hot, I may take a nice bubble bath tonight: I bought a bath caddy, which is a table that goes across the bathtub that has places for a candle, your phone, a wine glass, your tablet/eReader. I also bought some new bubble bath. If I don't do that, I will sit on my new bed with my eyes closed for 5 minutes and listen to music. BTW, I was so bad at water yesterday that I was physically ill: by 4:00 p.m., I was running around and felt woozy from dehydration! :( So when I went home, I immediately drank a bunch of water and felt a little better.

Hi everyone. Today's the big busy day. I got up early (5:30 a.m.) to get crackin'. I weighed in and lost 1.8 lbs from last week's gain. I'm not back down to where I was two weeks ago but at least I lost.

COMMITTED.
    August goals: get at least 7 1/2 hours of sleep every night, drink 2 (26 oz) bottles of water a day
  • TeresaW1020
    @cbabie Girl, a treadmill walk and a shower! You are on a roll. :D I have managed to take my showers but I can easily not wash my hair for three days. Makes the showering much faster. ;) We are watching a show right now about this teacher becoming a drug lord. Totally stressing me out!

@theslightedgeforever I agree that changing my weigh-in day will take the pressure off and allow me to eat lunch on Thursdays if I decide to. I tried focusing on my weekly average weight but that doesn’t seem to have the same impact. I need the weigh-in day and I NEED it to give me a loss! :grin: Baking has never been my gift but I do get lots of compliments on my cooking.

@trooworld Yayyyy for the weight loss! How did the cake turn out? I bet it was wonderful. I haven’t had chocolate cake in ages. :'( I really don’t understand the issue with water drinking. Do you like sparkling water? I buy plain selzer in a can and drink at least 4 or 5 of those a day. I love the bubbles!

Good morning! Well, I didn’t have to go to the church to decorate so instead I spent the day deep cleaning my house. Then I had this idea to rearrange all my knick-knacks and now I hate it even more. I’m going to put things back and just wait until after the New Year to figure out what I want to do. It’s almost time to decorate for Christmas!! <3 I have church this morning and then the wedding shower later this afternoon. I'm making these yummy ham and cheese sliders and a pasta salad. Obviously, today will be my high carb day. :D I’ve written out my September goals and really plan to hit this month hard. My Happy Scale app says that I should be at goal by next April. NOT if I don’t get my act together!
    September Goals:
    1. No Friday night wine (this one makes me sad but I think it’s necessary)
    2. Fasting-5 days push to 21+ hours, 2 days 18+ hours
    3. Workout six days a week
    4. Lower my carbs-I plan to do this by carb cycling my dinners and keeping my snacks very low carb. I also plan to limit my snacks!
  • trooworld
    @TeresaW1020 Oh man, the f*#@!ng cake! I'll write about it below. Let's just say not as expected? :/ I like flavored sparkling water and we have a Sodastream and when I use that, I drink all my water. So, I should use it! :D I can't believe it's already almost time to decorate for Christmas!!! I hope your wedding shower goes well. I love ham and cheese sliders. Your September goals look tough but you can do it!

Hello everyone! So...the cake...I was late getting it in the oven because I got out my cake pans and they were brand-new but they still had the paper labels glued to them and I couldn't get the glue+labels off the pans and the pans were cheapo anyway. I gave up on those (I tried soaking them) and went on a quest to find new ones. Instead of just directly going to Target or Walmart, I went to two grocery stores first. Then it occurred to me to go to a small neighborhood Target. They didn't have them either. So then I went to Macy's and got them. I got home and baked the cakes and by this time, I was putting us way behind.

We were supposed to be there between 4-5 and I didn't put the cakes in the oven until 2pm and they needed to cool for 90 minutes before I could even decorate them. When they were cool enough to decorate, it was then pretty hot in the house even with the A/C on...the A/C doesn't really reach over to the kitchen. I tried putting the chocolate buttercream frosting between the 3 layers but the cake was sliding. Our solution was to put 3 skewers in the cake to hold it in place. I didn't bother to try to pipe flowers or designs on the cake because I knew at this point that they would just melt off. I knew my cake was done for.

We put the cake in a box and off we went, 2 hours late. When we got to my brother-in-law's apartment, my husband had to carry a bunch of stuff so I carried the lightest and most precious thing, the cake. We were nearly at the front door when my foot slipped off the sidewalk and my feet flew up in the air and I was on my back, cake in hand. I thought for one brief moment that the cake would be okay but sadly, when I looked inside, the below is what I saw. Luckily, I didn't hurt myself, just my pride. My dear sweet sister-in-law Frankensteined the cake back together enough to eat it and it tasted delicious. The buttercream frosting was amazing! That's the sordid tale of that blasted cake!

COMMITTED.

36pi8bdck554.jpg
  • mswatson0777
    mswatson0777 Posts: 290 Member
    @trooworld OH no! Your poor cake, and you worked so hard on it! I bet it was absolutely delicious, presentation is the least important part after all

@TeresaW1020 How did the wedding shower go? I love baked ham and cheese sliders, great idea to feed a crowd!

@theslightedgeforever Thank you for your encouraging words! You're absolutely right, we're definitely still learning as we go!

@cbabie Sometimes a shower truly does feel decadent. Sorry you overdid it on food but I'm glad you took care of yourself

Well...it officially happened. We have a positive COVID case in the office and I was exposed so I'm working from home for the next two weeks and going in for a COVID test. I'm pretty upset about it. I've been so careful in my private life and I'm frustrated I had to put my health on the line due to poor leadership decisions. Hopefully everything turns out negative. I haven't had any symptoms yet which is good, but that doesn't mean I won't develop them in the next few days.

Thanks to literally being trapped in the house I got a lot of schoolwork done. I read over 300 pages in two days and outlined my 5 page report and my 3 page journal entry to write up this week. My plan is to get as much schoolwork done as possible so I can try to enjoy my social life once I'm free again (since winter is coming so we only have so many nice days left...and now I have two weeks less of them to enjoy due to other people's poor decision making). I hope you all had better weekends than me.
  • its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    Hey gang. Sorry I haven't been around. On my vacation in British Columbia.

@trooworld I did see you posted that salmon recipe for me and I'm going to check it out.

I'm eating out a lot but trying to balance with no desserts or treats. Hoping not to gain weight. If I can maintain I will be happy.

• its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    @mswatson0777 wow that's terrible. Take care.
  • theslightedgeforever
    @trooworld How was the mattress? Did you sleep like a dream? Woohoo on your loss. I had half my water. So sorry about your cake. It looks like it tasted amazing though. What are your September goals?

@teresaw1020 So tell me what you found focusing on the weekly average versus the weigh in day. What were you getting out of each? What were you not getting? I don't know about trooworld and water but here's my thing. 1) I don't think about water like I think about food. I never say, oh I'm thirsty where I would look at a clock and say it's getting near lunchtime. I sip my drinks versus guzzling so it takes a long time to finish a drink whether it's water, a cup of tea, diet coke. I allow myself two of those a week. Lately I only finish half a can. I can nurse a cup of something over an hour or so and then have to reheat it. Meanwhile my family members can literally drink 2 glasses at the same sitting and I've drank an inch. Who knows, maybe my mom said when I was little don't drink alot or you are going to ruin your meals. Oh just thought of something, I can drink sweet iced tea faster. I used to only drink it when I went to visit my parents. My dad would complain he has to make more tea because of me. oh and I don't like sparkling water nor cold water. After all that, I probably should see a therapist regarding my water issues. lol Nice goals. Did you make you out a little spreadsheet to go along with it?

@mswatson0777 Sorry about the covid exposure. They called back 75% at hubby's work. Luckily he is still home. Never thought I would write that. Hm.... My 87 year old mil lives with us so we use that as a reason. That's good you made good use of your time. What are your September goals?

@its_cleo Oh enjoy that vacation. Just nice to get a change of scenery these days.

Yellow Day- Went over 234/164 Intentional movement: Rest Day

August goals: Green dot day :( Drink 6 glasses of water :( Burn 225 cals via movement **** Preplan food :(

My September goals will be the same as August but mid August I will reevaluate

• trooworld
    @mswatson0777 lol...it was delicious even though it was the ugliest thing! :) Oh dear! I would be very upset about it too. I hope you continue to have no symptoms. I'm glad you at least have gotten something done. Geez, people suck!

@its_cleo I hope you are having a great vacation. Yes, check out the salmon recipe when you can.

@theslightedgeforever The mattress is much, much better. My sleep score reflects it. Saturday night, I was in pain from my fall so I don't count that, but last night I got a GOOD score with very little restlessness and a lot of deep sleep. I didn't drink enough water but I drank some. The cake was good. My Sept goals are going to be the same as August. How about you?

COMMITTED.
  • renaegry
    renaegry Posts: 1,256 Member
    I have hit a 10 year high. I know the first bit will be easy to lose since it came on Fast. August was kind of a write off. Not much for exercising and eating like CRAP. Going to try to be strict with eating then taking the September long weekend off. Then it’s hard core September 7. Can’tbelieve I let myself get to here. Have 25 lbs I would love to lose. Just need to stay focused. And not just jump back hard into things. Will start this week with walking and some abs.
  • cbabie
    Afternoon gals, My day is so messed up I will do personals later. I just wanted to stop back and say I am still here...not TM today seems like it's a Monday!!!!

Cbabie
  • theslightedgeforever
    @trooworld You will feel more rested now. My goals are the same but I will look again mid September and maybe increase the water or exercise calories depending on how I do the first two weeks. I got in all my water.

@renaegry At first I was like woohoo congratulations. Then I realized what you meant about the 10 year high. Yeah, I remember when I did that. Right now I'm 36 lbs down from that and had lost a bunch more the last half of 2019 and well you know what happened this year. When I gained about 16 of it back. I had crossed the 50 lbs lost mark. :'( But I did it once I can do it again. So can you. I find the easiest way to keep me focused the long haul is to baby step it. Then I increase as I go. Slowly turning up the water to a boil.

@cbabie Have you ever thought of lowering your expectations on a Monday? Sometimes it's the disappointing ourselves and then the eating crap over it to make us feel better than gets us in the end. God rested one day a week, why not let your Monday be a rest day and just go to work and that's about it. Then you hit it harder the rest of the week. Slowly ease into your week. I used to have my rest day as Monday but just changed it because I was having a hard time getting up early to exercise on Sundays because I stay up so late on Saturday nights. Now it's working much better.

Yellow- Went over 202/164 Intentional movement: 39 min strength training 20 min walk

August goals: Green dot day :( Drink 6 glasses of water o:) Burn 225 cals via movement ???? Preplan food :(
  • TeresaW1020
    @trooworld Ohhhh my goodness!! That poor cake! I am very happy that you didn’t hurt yourself in the fall. And the best news is that the cake tasted delicious and now you have a great memory. When I was about 10 years old my aunt made lasagna for a family party and being the big helper I offered to carry it to the car but the hot pan touched my hand and I dropped the lasagna, which flipped upside down on the carpet. My sweet aunt just scooped that lasagna back into the pan quickly melted more cheese on top, covered the cheese stained carpet with a towel, and off we went to the party. :D I’m glad that you like your new mattress and have been sleeping better.

@mswatson0777 Ohhh I hope that you don’t catch COVID. I’ve been exposed twice now and I haven’t got it so hopefully, you won’t either. Our little college town is exploding with new cases due to the college students determination to party like it’s 1999 and NOT 2020. :#

@its_cleo I hope you are having a wonderful vacation!! <3

@theslightedgeforever My mom is like you with drinks. I’ve been on her to drink more water too. I have always been one to constantly drink (and pee :D ). I always have something to drink so I guess that is why it’s much easier for me. ;) Watching my weekly average and my weigh-in day over this last month has shown me that both are staying within the same few pounds, so it doesn’t really matter which one I watch because neither is moving down! My August graph has basically flatlined and yes, my plan is to change that this month. :)

@renagry Yup, you just need to stay focused on your goal and that extra weight will come off. That is what I keep telling myself! ;)

Good morning! So, our little wedding shower was a lot of fun. The couple had no idea that we were surprising them. We ate, played games, and they opened up our gifts. It was great having the 12 of us hanging out and now we are all looking forward to our annual Christmas party. B) I went into work yesterday for a few hours and helped our children’s director get ready for Wednesday night. This year in our kid's ministry Awana I am helping with the Cubbies, who are 3 to 5 years old. There will be seven of them. Should be fun! :grin: I’m ready to rock this month and get the scale to move!!
  • trooworld
    @cbabie Hello! :)

@theslightedgeforever I'm still getting up too much every 30-60 minutes for the first 4-5 hours of the night's sleep, that doesn't have anything to do with the mattress but you are right, I do feel more rested now. That's great you got in all of your water. It is helping me to check in with you but I still didn't meet my water goal yesterday.

@TeresaW1020 I know, right? LOL I'm lucky I didn't break a bone in my back! Yes, we will never forget that cake! ;) Awww, what a sweet aunt you had! Yes, I definitely like the new mattress. I can't believe we are talking about Christmas parties already! :O

Hello all. That crappy construction company has finally come to put in the floor in the bathroom. No, the bathroom is still not done. There are a couple of things that need to be done, the flooring and lighting. They also damaged a side door leading from the bathroom to the spare room with one of their machines, it warped the door but they are denying they did the damage. They said the machine couldn't have made the damage. We have no proof that the door wasn't damaged before they started working so we can't prove they did the damage. Since the door is now warped, once the flooring is in, the door won't open. They said they can sand the door down so it will open. It will still look warped. :(

COMMITTED.
    September goals: get at least 7 1/2 hours of sleep every night, drink 2 (26 oz) bottles of water a day
  • theslightedgeforever
    edited September 2020
    @teresaw1020 Thanks for explaining your reasons about the weight average. I was hoping you would have some life changing reasons. lol I decided to do an experiment with not weighing in daily. I did 3 days. Well that went bad. I'm just hoping it's because Granny Flo time is just around the corner. I will totally take responsibility for the days I went over but sheesh.....sounds like you are having fun.

@trooworld I got in 3/4 of my water goal today. I debated at the end of the day, should I just chug some but then thought about when I do that, I'm up and down constantly in the bathroom and then I'm useless the next day. So I said, start earlier next time. Sorry about your door. Things like that bug the heck out of me.

Yellow Day- Stayed OP 162-164 Intentional exercise 22 min strength training 11 min walking

September goals: Green dot day o:) Drink 6 glasses of water :( Burn 225 cals via movement :( Preplan food o:)
  • trooworld
    @theslightedgeforever 3/4 is really good. Almost there. Thanks re: the door. It will bug us, too, and we will likely have our handyman fix it if this company doesn't fix it. The floor looks nice. Now, we'll see how long it takes for them to get around to doing the lights.

Hello everyone. My FitBit isn't syncing. It does this every once in a while. I swear these things are built to be obsolete. I want to get Amazon's new fitness tracker, the Halo. But it's by invitation only right now. I signed up to be invited. We'll see if I get an invite.

COMMITTED.
    September goals: get at least 7 1/2 hours of sleep every night, drink 2 (26 oz) bottles of water a day
  • cbabie
    Morning all, I am officially off work now until next Monday..yes labor day. It was nice not to be rushed and the little one and my DH are still sleeping ad it's almost 9:30. I still don't sleep. However, it was so nice to walk even though it was 1 hour later than I had planned and get a shower, relax, read my Bible, pray..you know the stuff "I" love. LOL. Well I am still fighting heartburn, still gritting my teeth all day and night. I have found myself clenching my jaw even just to pick up the baby. My mouth is killing me, so trying to "relax" I might try CBD oil, it's citrus flavor, so we will see. I didn't track yesterday..8 hours on the phone was awful. BUT I get to be off the rest of the week.

@trooworld I am so sorry about the cake, and your door. I grit my teeth thinking about it. I think I really just hate liars, manipulators, etc. Why can't people just be truthful..I know Eve bit the apple. LOL. Glad you like your mattress...I need to get one, I think mine is at least 15 yr old..LOL When the baby jumps on it...you know the song. 10 monkeys jumping on the bed, one fell off and hit her head..you can hear the box below it.

@TeresaW1020 I smiled when I read you helping with the kids..I still miss children's ministry. I am going through my books and can't seem to get rid of anything associated with Sunday School, children, etc. My DH just rolls his eyes, he has given up on my books.

@theslightedgeforever Yes I should probably lower my expectations on LOTS of things, I am trying to take this week and plan better. Like right now my mouth hurts because of adult children/grandchildren and I have to stop and figure how to deal.. I won't lose my teeth and be like dad..LOL. (Although I remember the grandkids in awe or scared..LOL watching him move those teeth in and out. LOL

@renaegry yea I am back at my high in 3 years, well actually I guess I was there last June..now that I think about it. It took me breaking my wrist to break the cycle. So I think this time I better figure out a. better way LOL

Cbabie