NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Options

Replies

• trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,912 Member
    Options
    @mysticlizard thank you very much!

@bugmom92 "Plague Inc" sounds similar to one we play called Epidemic, but I'm sure you know that you are fighting diseases in Epidemic. Splendor, I have for my phone but can't figure it out, I'm waiting to get the game to really understand it. Games are so much fun, but my hubby and I don't really have a lot of friends to play with, so we end up playing 2-player games most of the time (Epidemic is our fave). Wow, I am impressed by your game collection! That is so awesome. It looks like a game store!!!

@gemwolf110 great job on the 14th, that's a lot of steps! Your doggie is beautiful!

@theslightedgeforever I hope your gums heal better.

@ladynasdaq I felt the same way so I quit to save money. MFP is so easy to use, I agree.

Hi everyone! I'm getting ready to drive up to LA (about a 2-3 hour drive, or more depending on traffic!) to celebrate Christmas with my inlaws. I have no idea what we are eating. I haven't been tracking very much, just enough so I don't lose my days accrued. I'm going to settle down and get serious, I don't have a choice. I upped my goal weight to 185 for now. I think it makes it less intimidating to set a higher goal weight.

I think for Christmas, we are going to make a rib roast, mashed potatoes, and roasted asparagus. If our money can handle the rib roast, those things are expensive! Have a great day everyone.
  • lore11a
    lore11a Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Good Morning:
    @mysticlizard..The musical dominoes are like regular dominoes except instead of a number of dots on the dominoes, there are pictures of music notes and rests. You have to know the value of each one. For example: a quarter note is worth 1 point, a half note is 2 points, a dotted half note is 3 points and etc. It makes you have to think and it is also a good way to learn how many beats a note gets. It is more fun than it sounds. Lol.
    You are doing awesome on your exercise. An hour and a quarter, wow!!
    @cbabie..Omg! 7-11 inches of snow would have Oklahoma paralyized. Drinking tea and reading sounds good to me.
    @theslightedge..the green things in the fruitcakes are actually candied cherries that have been dyed green. I used to not like fruitcakes but the ones you bake seem to be better. I love your answer to your kids about the blanket. So funny!!
    @trooworld.. Your Christmas dinner menu sounds great!!
    @gemwolf110.. Your dog is really pretty!

The temperature is supposed to get down to 9 degrees tonight in Oklahoma. I go to a little country church and the heat is not that great so we are only having morning church services, if it doesn't get too bad. My Sunday School class is supposed to do Christmas sacks, hopefully we will get to.

Everyone stay warm!!
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies,

@theslightedgeforever - I am doing better with the 5x5 than I thought I would. So I am feeling pretty good about it. When each of my kids got a car, I made an emergency kit for them. I got them a basic roadside kit with flares, jumper cables, an army blanket, hand and foot warmers, a box of granola bars and put it into one of those small plastic totes (or a cloth grocery bag for my truck kid). I explained what everything was for and had them throw it in their trunk. When I was in my 20's I broke down in the middle of no where in the winter and spent a very cold night in my car, the kit my dad put together for me saved my life.

@gemwolf110 - Your fur baby is beautiful!

@trooworld - I hope you have a nice time today. I like your idea of making a different goal weight and it may not seem so overwhelming. I know what my ultimate goal is but I focus on ten pounds at a time 290, 280, 270, 260, 250, 240, and now 230. This is a rough time of year for weight loss. I just promised myself that I will log it all.

@lore11a - I have never seen Musical Dominoes they sound really neat. What a great way to teach someone to read music. I hope the weather behaves and you can get to church tomorrow, otherwise curl up and stay warm.

It was 5x5 day so I did that, walking, and peddling for an hour. We will go to church tonight so we don't have to go out tomorrow. Hubby just came in so now I need to figure out something different for supper. I was going to sprialize zucchini and try a new recipe but that didn't sound good to him. I have a butternut squash so I guess I will make beef tagine.

I hope all you ladies find a little time for yourself today. <3
  • theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    gemwolf your furbaby is so cute.

trooworld Enjoy your time with the inlaws. I agree a shorter goal is easier to reach for me.

lore Musical dominoes sound fun, if I could actually remember all the notes. Seems like lots of cold weather all around this time of year. I'm not one for cold weather exercising but it is probably good for me. To take in all that fresh air. So I'm trying to step out of my comfort zone and just do it. My goal is at least one time this week to walk outside.

mysticlizard Great ideas for winter carkits. I bought some zuchinni so maybe I will spiralize some before it goes bad.

okay, off to read a bit, just wish I had the fireplace to go with it.

• cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,569 Member
    Options
    Morning gals: I am getting ready to go get ready for church. It's cold here and I am not motivated to do anything. I ran I think all day yesterday.

Has anyone thought of their goals for 2017 as far as health? I don't that's a big category, but overall and then make it monthly or weekly or even daily? I haven't , but wondered if anyone had thought that far in advance yet.

I just don't have the motivation today. I was thinking maybe find a new recipe each week. However, we are starting a 21 day fast at church and I am not sure what that is going to look like for me yet.

Maybe a motivation of giving my husband a dollar every time I don't meet my 10K steps...LOL I hate to give him money..he doesn't share. :)

@gemwolf110 if I liked dogs I would love yours. I am mostly afraid of them. Yours is gorgeous.

@trooworld I hope the drive was good and the visit fun! I like your attitude.

@lore11a Wear heavy sweaters...and lots of hot chocolate..LOL I hope your Sunday turns out great.

@mysticlizard How was that butternut squash? I like your 5x5, sounds like fun.

@theslightedgeforever well maybe you should ask DH for a fireplace...LOL Okay maybe you could have a fake one..like the TV :) I know it's not the same.

Okay gals gotta run

cbabie
  • mysticlizard
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

@theslightedgeforever - Hope you enjoyed your book, I wish I had a fireplace too.

@cbabie - The squash was great. It is a dish that my husband loves. He says it tastes like something he could order in a restaurant.

I woke up this morning and it was -21 out. It got down to -22 out. It is -3 now so I guess we are having a heatwave. I am staying indoors today. I got my hour and a quarter of cardio in.

Goal for 2017
    Stay on track, keep logging and exercising.
    Work on getting my protein in.
    Make better food choices.

Not much different than right now, but I am working my plan and with tweaks along the way I should be much healthier this time next year.

I hope everyone has a nice Sunday. <3

Liz
  • cbabie
    Options
    Morning: yea, I didn't do so great yesterday either. My love for PB just kicked me yesterday. It's not so much the sweets right now as PB. weird....

My goals for next year are still a work in progress.
    We are doing a fast and prayer beginning on 1/8 for 21 days and I plan on fine tuning it then. I am also doing a prayer workbook for my YL oils beginning on 1/8. LOL that was Elvis's birthday.

As of right now:

Better muscle tone
    Tracking my food
    exercise instead of eating to handle emotions
    Better cooking each day for meals instead of grabbing a PB sandwich

@gemwolf110 love your goals and you will get back after the holidays. I like your new profile picture.
    @mysticlizard oh I don't miss those temperatures. I would stay in too. Always nice when your family thinks you cook as good as in a restaurant. I made biscuits and sausage gravy the other day and my DH said it was the best I had ever made..LOL ( I think he was hungry and cold). Your goals are great, I think we will always be tweaking them as we each change and grow.

Okay, not sure where everyone else is, but have a great Monday.

Cbabie
  • trooworld
    Options
    @lore11a wow, 9 degrees...I can't imagine how that feels it's been so long since I've been in those temperatures! I hope you got to church okay.

@mysticlizard that's a good idea. I've logged breakfast and lunch, so if I can just settle down tonight and track dinner and snacks, I'll be okay. Usually I pretrack my entire day but I am not sure what we are having for dinner.

@cbabie no I haven't thought about my goals yet, I guess I should! I like your motivation of giving a $1 to your hubby when you don't reach your steps.

@gemwolf110 I bet that was adorable (pup jumping in the snow)! I have lost my motivation to track as well, but I'm just going to do it I hope. Haven't been to the gym in 2 weeks.

Well we made it up to Canoga Park (a little north of LA) and back 2 1/2-3 hours each way, not too bad. Christmas celebration was fun. It was reasonable this year, last year everyone went overboard with gifts and hubby and I felt bad because we couldn't reciprocate. I've got to get back to the gym and I will: starting this Friday at 4 pm, I have off until Jan 3rd. I plan on going to the gym most days. Checked the price on rib roasts, Sam's Club has them for around $45, which is pretty good. The best place would be to get one from the butcher shop but there, it would be about $130! Not happening. I'll pick mine up on Friday after work.

Have a great day, everyone!
  • lore11a
    lore11a Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    @cbabie.. What kind of fast do you do? Do you just give up something voluntarily that you like? I know some churches do that.
    @trooworld... I am glad you found prime rib at a good price. I know it will be delicious.
    @mysticlizard... You are doing awesome on your exercise. You are motivating me to try and do better. Great job!!
    @theslightedge... You are so brave to exercise outside in this cold weather, but good for you. Nothing beats the fresh air of outdoors.

I didn't make it to church yesterday, because of the cold temps they cancelled it, but I took everyone's advise and curled up and kept warm.
    I like the goals some of you have already made. I am going to have to think about mine for a while longer. I think one of mine will definitely have to be to get my evening snacking under control. I know it has just become a not so good habit. My daughter-in-law made me a huge can of hot snack mix. She makes people some every year at Christmas time and it is so good. Have to watch my portion control though.

Everyone have a good week!!
  • KWebb84MFP
    KWebb84MFP Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was on Weight Watchers years ago and lost a bunch of weight. With WW (and a TON of exercise), I got off my plateau and hit my smallest weight of 152. The switch to Points Plus made the program stop working for me (plus I started dating my now husband and his love for food and my love for cooking made for a delicious combination, that was deadly to my waistline.

Five years later and I'm up to 236.2, almost my max weight (I was 240 back when I was 15, before I started caring about fitness AT ALL). Rather than get back on WW now that I'm super committed to getting back in shape, I'm just using all the knowledge I KNOW and doing it.
    1. EXERCISE: I've already started a daily yoga regimen which is making me feel awesome, relaxed and strong. I am not a morning exerciser, so I do it right when I get home. I will do at least 30min daily. More if it strikes me, but that's a minimum.
    2. TRACKING: After only tracking my exercise and assuming I was doing pretty well food-wise, I'm going to track EVERYTHING: exercise, food (even if I slip up) and weight (once a week, even if I gain).
    3. FOOD: No more fried foods, daily dessert, cheat meals, or pasta multiple times a week. Since developing an allergy to dairy, ice cream is already gone, but I'm going to be much better food-wise. Cheat meals once a week aren't enough when you've got as much to lose as I do and have a desk job. We're doing TREAT meals once a month, and WITHIN REASON. Not COMPLETE deprivation, but we are sometimes going to have to forgo things we want for our health goals. After a health scare, my husband is on the health track with me, so I won't have to cook two meals and drool over his dinner. Christmas and New Years are coming, so it will just be tiny portions. I've done it before; I can do it again.
    4. ACCOUNTABILITY: I have tried this alone. It doesn't work. My husband is on board, and I hope all of you are on board. Please friend me and post love/tough love. I will do the same. My diary is public. My profile pics is my current pic. It's tough to put it all out there, but it's even tougher to be stuck in a body you don't love, having undone all your weight loss progress. Lets do this.
  • theslightedgeforever
    Options
    Quick check in here. Fullblown cold now. I don't think going outside to walk now is the best move.

Goals for 2017 hm.....I'll think on them.

@KWebb84MFP Welcome to the group. Glad your dh is on board. that makes it so much easier.
  • mysticlizard
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

@gemwolf110 - I sounds like you are really running with work. Take care of yourself and keep healthy.

@cbabie - Maybe your body is trying to tell you need something specific hence the peanut butter.

@trooworld - The rib roast sounds yummy! I hope you enjoy your time off. Have you used your air fryer again?

@lore11a - I need to work on my snacking too. I have a real love/hate relationship with exercise. I hate to do it and it is rather like taking medicine (ick). But once I have done it I do feel better. I started with 15 minutes and worked my way up to an hour/an hour and a quarter work out a day. I had to make it a priority in my life as well and that was a big challenge for me. It meant putting me first before everyone else.

@KWebb84MFP - Welcome! At the top of the page there is a gray star, if you click on it, it will turn gold and bookmark the page for you so you can find the thread easier.

@theslightedgeforever - Take care of yourself and feel better. My oldest is off work with the cold and a sore throat. I told her not to come over and spread it. It didn't help, my middle daughter has come down with it and the younger is starting to get a scratchy throat. If I am unlucky I will end up sick for Christmas.

I had a mess of year end paperwork to plow through today, still more to do tomorrow. I did get my hour and a quarter workout in. It got up to 20 degrees today so I feel like we are having a heatwave.

I hope everyone has a good evening. <3

Liz

• cbabie
    Options
    Morning:

I didn't do so well yesterday, not bad, but didn't keep to my goals. I did workout with my weights and got my 30 treadmill walk in..I love my treadmill. It has programmable sd cards from Jillian, so the walk is different paces and inclines and I don't have to think about the changing. Just walking and saying when is this part over..LOL

It seems that people want me to read more..Someone just told me about ANOTHER book I should read..The Energy Bus..the first few pages on audio were very interesting. Must be I need to read in this season in my life.

@trooworld I love the meat at Sams..it's really the only place I buy meat. Enjoy your time off.

@lore11a I have done several different fast, I find the most beneficial for me is to at least give up 1 meal, if I give up lets say my nuts or PB..I don't have the prayer time I enjoy, it seems to be better for me with no meal. I find it's important for the person to find what works best for them. My mom couldn't go with food because of her diabetes, so she would fast TV or something..

@KWebb84MFP Welcome to this group. WE all come from various walks in life and have some of the same struggles, but also each unique to our own personalities. I am so glad your DH is joining you. Mine has never gotten in on this, but he is happy with himself. He is not heavy, except in the winter he gets his bear belly..LOL
    Yes bear not beer...

@mysticlizard I think we all seem to need to work on our snacking..it's why we come to this board. LOL It gives us the support to know we are not alone, but get the motivation to keep tracking. I hope you don't get sick over Christmas...although you could not have to cook or take care of others, they could take care and baby you. :)

@theslightedgeforever I hope you get to feeling better SOON

@gemwolf110 I am so happy you got to sit down and enjoy LIFE...the food looks good, but I don't like fish, but it looks like it would taste good. :)

Okay gotta run

Cbabie
  • trooworld
    Options
    Hi everyone! I tracked about 90% of what I ate yesterday, so that's progress, right? I've got homemade Christmas cookies in the house right now to bring to work, and I need to get them out of the house pronto. I'm going to bring them today to hand out as gifts for everyone. I've been jacked up on sugar for days because of having a cookie here and there. lol time to go!

I have decided not to weigh in every day. I was weighing in every day and then averaging the numbers, but it was driving me crazy. I think I do much better when I weigh in once or twice a week.

@lore11a I'm sorry you got snowed in, but sometimes snow days are what we need! The hot snack mix sounds delicious.

@KWebb84MFP welcome! I gained weight when I married as well. There is something about being happy that makes me want to eat! lol I sent you a friends request. Your plan sounds good.

@theslightedgeforever no, stay in and rest! Sorry you have a cold.

@mysticlizard I have not used it again, although I have planned things on our menu to use it but those things didn't get made for one reason or another. Hope to use it soon.

@gemwolf110 your dinner looks amazing! I'm glad you got to spend time together.

• mysticlizard
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies,

@gemwolf110 - Your supper looks wonderful and sharing it with your honey makes it all the more special.

@cbabie - I don't think a person can ever read too much;) I love to read. We have the rare event of hubby being home for Christmas. Since he is home the girls wanted Indian tacos (taco fillings on Indian fry bread) for supper so he will be cooking Christmas supper. My oldest daughter will come on Friday so I think I will do some baking with all the girls on Friday and Saturday to keep them busy. Then the oldest's BF is coming to spend Christmas day with us. I wish our son's and their families could be here, but we will all be together for the middle daughter's high school graduation in the spring.

@trooworld - Yay! 90% tracking, it is progress. I have a friend that only weighs once a week and she is much happier. Maybe you can cook with your air fryer when you are off work next week.

It is 33 degrees and sunny here today. Even if it is cold it does the heart good to see the sun. It was SL day so I did that, walked, and peddled. So I got my hour of exercise in today. At the beginning of the month I joined the 24 hours of exercise per month challenge - December 2016. It has really motivated me to stay on track. I like seeing how I am chipping away at my goal daily. Well I had better get back to the paperwork, it doesn't seem to want to do itself.

I hope all you ladies have an awesome Tuesday.

Liz

• theslightedgeforever
    Options
    Still here..now bil and sil have decided to grace us with their presence as of Thurs night. If I don't get better, I will just stay in bed and let dh deal with his mom and siblings. I used to care in younger years but now I'm first in my list of priorities. Hoping for a healthier 2017
  • cbabie
    Options
    Morning: running late...I have to take my GD to work and come back home and get ready for work. I get 5 days off after today. YEA, I hope to get things done for Christmas. We just got the tree up last night. It's been another "different" Christmas. I am just maintaining this week. I don't want a gain, so I am trying to nibble and not EAT..LOL just grazing. Oh, well that is what a cow does..See what we have been taught? LOL

Okay I will try to do personals later, but I am so happy for each of you. You are keeping your enthusiasm, and goals before you. Never giving up!!

Cbabie
  • trooworld
    Options
    Hi all! We had our Christmas party at work yesterday and boy did that not go so well. I'm glad I'm off the week after Christmas so I can work to undo some of the damage lol.

@mysticlizard that's a good idea to use my air fryer when I'm off. I have a recipe for toasted ravioli that is calling my name! Great job on the exercise.

@theslightedgeforever I'm sorry you are still sick, but glad you are making yourself a priority.
  • mysticlizard
    Options
    Happy winter solstice and happy hump day ladies,

@theslightedgeforever - I am sorry you are still feeling punky. Rest up and do what you need to do for you. <3

@cbabie - Is there ever a normal Christmas? Take care of yourself and put you first to keep yourself sane. <3

@trooworld - Toasted ravioli sounds amazing. Just get through the week best as you can. Remember we are not perfect and being mindful and logging is a victory in itself. <3

@gemwolf110 - Though work/training sounds very stressful, it sounds rather exciting as well. You have a good outlook on the whole thing. Even though it feels like you have no time, squeeze a few "me" minutes in there for yourself. <3

I think that we should all share the common goal of prioritizing time for ourselves and our health in 2017. I am starting to get caught up in the fast Christmas pace. But I did get my hour and a quarter workout in today. My eating, if I behave myself for the rest of the day I should be fine on calories, but my food choices are not very healthful. It has been a long stressful year and I am ready to put it to bed and start 2017.

I am challenging everyone to take a few minutes for themselves each day for the next couple of days. Even if it is just five minutes to sit and sing your favorite Christmas tune or think of something that pleases you. We women worry about everyone else, and often we make our loved ones and others lives much easier. Catch your breath and pat yourselves on the back, we are bringing another year to the close. You ladies are amazing individuals.

Liz

• theslightedgeforever
    Options
    Cbabie. at least you had a tree, right? I think maintaining is a good goal right now.

trooworld. So just write down some notes how the Christmas party could have gone better. Because you will probably attend some other kind of party before next Christmas. You can use the same strategies.

gemwolf Just realize that your schedule is temporary and like you said it won't be forever and you can make changes as needed. This is what I'm telling myself about being sick. one day I will exercise again. Just not today. Good thing is my blood sugar readings have been down lately. No more in diabetic range.

okay, lots to do tomorrow. Have to find the balance between getting my things done and rest.