WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Michele in NC – Did it right at the door of the plane; which had another outside door and we could see them loaded on the bottom of the plane. I would have been ‘screwed’ without my meds; I wanted to jerk it back and tell them ‘Oh **** NO, you are NOT taking it’! It doesn’t weigh enough to have been checked in the first place. Flew out of a relatively small airport (Tallahassee); but, now thanks to Marie Kondo’s “Spark Joy” … I can pack a lot into a carry-on size suitcase and used a larger handbag to make sure that my ‘medicine’ is always with me no matter what. I could have had somewhere special to be going to, and, I would have missed it. I think I walked the entire lobby/baggage section 2 full times. Really makes we wonder what those people going to the St. Pete/Tampa area did 'if' because they did not have certain tags on them (or the wrong color of tags on them) whether or not the plane even got partially unloaded before it left for Miami. Sister and friend had pulled up and I was going to meet them outside; after making the loop 3 times she came looking for me; she was madder than a 'wet hen' and I was near 'tears'.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Joyce, thank you so much, but you're right about my sis. She did better at the beginning of the party but by this time she was a bit overwhelmed and had gone away to where ever it is she goes. By then she hears and/or sees very little of what is going on around her. I actually started to cry during the party and had to leave for a minute to compose myself. I miss her so much, but "my" Katy has been gone for a long, long time.

Oklahoma City Schools started yesterday too, it seems very early. The kids here in our district will start mid-month I believe.

Janetr OKC
  • Eava57
    Eava57 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Hi...I M new to this thread but not MFP. I just had my 59th birthday in July. My hubby and I celebrated our 32nd anniversary on the 28th. I have struggled this past year to find a motivating group. Do we have weekly weigh-ins or goals? I have lost 20lbs., Gain/loss 10lbs. My goal is to lose 25 lbs. I am a mother of two boys, 27 and 24.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,114 Member
    Options
    lenora- your cement step injury must have really hurt! I'm bruised right below the nail. The rim of the pan hit and I have a nasty bruise. The pan is a Emeril professional quality it takes me two hands to hold it. It actually has a second handle like a door pull on the rim because of the weight. I'm glad you liked the squat video! LOL with the lower seat!

Janetr - nice picture of your family! If you can swing the Kettlebell more than 7 times then you might want to go heavier.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Mary, thanks. That's exactly what I was thinking. I told Jack I needed to go get a heavier one. He was watching me this morning and said, I don't think I could do that. lol He was talking about the squats tho.

Thanks so much for all your advice and encouragement.

Janetr OKC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    I am awake ,and having a cup of tea ,set the washer to start laundry early so when I woke up threw it in the dryer..
    It is a stunning morning 60 degree's and no humidity...
    of course on the news they are saying the zika virus has spread to Florida.. just what we need.. well I guess I will invest in bug spray ,,, and hope it works...
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Lenora - The full recipe is on skinnytaste.com
    If you put Easy Crustless Spinach and Feta Pie into their search box you will find it. It also comes up if you just Google it.

Love Heather xxxxxxxxxx
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Thanks Heather!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Heather - I've pulled up the skinnytaste.com website and plugged in the "Easy Crustless Spinach and Feta Pie"; but, I cannot find it. Maybe I am entering the wrong request for the recipe. I used your name of the recipe to try to pull it up; am I missing something here?
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK
    Good morning ladies or afternoon here. Visiting DD and family, so eating well and exercise will not be easy but I will try. Just had a massage from a lovely sports masseur he's loosened all my tight bits and I feel more supple. My DSIL has kettlebells so I will have a go while I'm here
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Thanks Karen! <3

As I committed last night to writing some of my memoir, I did it. Yeah!
    I also committed to getting my wifi printer onto the new modem. I did it! Double yeah! :drinker: Mind you I was spitting feathers by the end of that. Why do they have to make a simple thing so ×÷==%# difficult! Grrrrrrrrrr!
    Feeling very pleased with myself. :D I couldn't have done it without this group.

I'm making the spinach pie for dinner and DH can take half the leftovers to cricket tomorrow for lunch.
    I also had some feta for lunch today with avocado and beetroot. Fabulous! Added fresh chilli, garlic, cucumber, cherry tomatoes and basil. DH absolutely LOATHES beetroot, so he had a granary baguette with ham and avocado. :D He made it himself.

Trying to decide whether to go to the garden centre to buy a couple of pot plants and three animal figures for the DGC. I thought we could hide them in the garden so they can hunt for them and then take them home to their own garden. Not sure if it's just a silly idea, or not. ;):*

Love Heather xxxxxxxxxx
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    Eava57 wrote: »
    Hi...I M new to this thread but not MFP. I just had my 59th birthday in July. My hubby and I celebrated our 32nd anniversary on the 28th. I have struggled this past year to find a motivating group. Do we have weekly weigh-ins or goals? I have lost 20lbs., Gain/loss 10lbs. My goal is to lose 25 lbs. I am a mother of two boys, 27 and 24.

Welcome, This thread is a mixture of women who are losing weight with others who have lost and don't want to get off track....we get support and encouragement from each other by reading and posting and often as we can. Some weigh weekly,others daily, others not at all. We set our own goals and resolutions and share about how we are doing on our journey to health and fitness.

:) Barbie from NW Washington (almost finished with breakfast which will be followed by meditation and walking the frisky poodles)
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I think I would like to join you all here. I am pretty bad with commitment so this will be an exercise in itself. Been an on again off again MFPer for a couple of years. Started with about 50 to lose and currently have 20-25 more to go. Sedentary office job more or less and I hate exercise. Ergo I don't. But it is beginning to take its toll. All that sitting has lead to chronic bursitis in my hip. Looking to get serious about being in better shape and look better too. I was a size 2/4 up until about ten years ago when I just packed on the 50. I may never be that tiny again but I would like to be a hell of a lot better! So, anyway I am married to the world's best man and my true BF. We have a Harley so in the summer that's our place to be. I am from PA and looking forward to getting to know you all but there seems to be a lot of you so that could take awhile. LOL! I am also hypo thyroid so right now I am trying Keto. I have known for awhile I don't feel my best with a lot of carbs even thought they are my biggest weakness! Thanks for taking time to hear from me. Oh, btw I am Tracey. Frankie (as you have probably guessed by now) is my Hubs.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    @frankiesgirl21 Tracey Please do join us...you will find that the women here are supportive and very chatty. Some people, like @Lagopus Penny swoop in and entertain us mightily with a post or three, and then may not be back again for a few weeks. Others have been posting here daily for years. So participate as you wish...I get more out of it by checking in frequently. I try to adhere to limited carbs for insulin resistance reasons, but don't stay in ketosis. There are lots of different food plans here, everybody does what works for them. Several of us are at various stages of starting or participating in kettlebell exercises which I think are very fun. To me, the key to not hating exercise is for it to be fun...women on this thread bike, hike, line dance, exercise to videos, swing kettlebells, Jazzercise, garden, and more. Do you know about the low carber forum?It might be a source of support for someone trying Keto: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Karen in Virginia
  • melaniemetoyer
    melaniemetoyer Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies!! Yipee for me, I managed to get in a 2 mile walk this morning ( 1.5 yesterday) before the start of the workday! I am determined to get back on track, after kinda, sorta slacking off a bit last week. Not sure if I mentioned a few weeks ago possibly having RA. (I'm not liking this aging stuff :# will be 55 Sunday). The pain is concentrated in my hands, wrists, with some chronic discomfort in my right hip. Yesterday was VERY bad, aching to the point of tears :'( Dr. prescribed something called rheumate, is anyone familiar with this)? Supposed to be some sort of "all natural" something but the ingredients read like a chemist lab. Apprehensive about taking it BUT, had I not already taken the Advil last night, I probably would have was hurting so bad.

Well off to start the work day. you all have a wonderful day!
    ~Melanie- Baton Rouge
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Melanie Are you on methotrexate? I can't remember. Rheumate is just a bioavailable form of the folic acid (vitamin B9) which is depleted by methotrexate.

Karen in Virginia
  • mousemom18
    mousemom18 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hey, better late than never!

Barbie thanks for keeping this thread going. It's great to see people my age committed to health

I have visited Washington state several times, (skied Mt Baker, wine tasting in Seattle' concert at the Gorge) and Portland once. You and Becca live in a lovely part of the world.

Also, I'm a bit of a wine collector so I appreciate the quality of wines from the PNW

Goals for August? That's a tough one. We will be doing a lot of entertaining both at the cottage (barbecue, late night board games and snacks!) and in the city where we will have houseguests for most of the month!

Also, I'm training for the Tough Mudder in Sep so I can't stray too far.

So I'll make my goals:

8 glasses (2 L) of water per day no matter what
    10,000 steps per day
    Try to finish the month below 140. (Goal weight 135. Ultimate goal 128. Jeepers, those last few lbs are HARD!)

Thanks for being there, everyone!

And good luck with all your own goals

- Mousemom

• janetr7476
    Options
    Mary, should I go up only 5# at a time, or would going up 10# to a 25# be ok? Im using only a 15# now.

Janetr okc