WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Purl, my dad died when I was 12. I am now 58 and still cry about losing him. And when certain hymns are played at church, that I associate with my beloved grandmother, I weep. So don't feel bad for crying! It just shows that you love well.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,983 Member
    Options
    <3 On the subject of shingles, my mom had shingles in her 70's not too many years before she died and she suffered terribly. When our doctor told us about the shingles vaccine, Jake and I drove straight over to the pharmacy that had the shots and got them. Our excellent medical insurance didn't cover the cost and we still believe that it was the best 400 dollars we ever spent.

<3 on the subject of muscle relaxers, one of the prescriptions Jake got when he left the hospital after his surgery was for a muscle relaxer and the pharmacist called to say that the insurance (Medicare Part D) wouldn't cover it....Jake refused to take a muscle relaxer, anyway, so I told the pharmacist not to fill the prescription.

:)Heather, my current project that I'm working on a bit at a time is going through old papers and photos and discarding the ones that don't bring me sufficient joy to keep....in the process, I've had to relive or rethink some tough times in my life....it has some of the elements of the emotions of your writing your memoir....I know how easy it is to put it off until tomorrow and work on something more current and more joyful.

petting-poodle-smiley-emoticon.gif breakfast complete, time for meditation followed by dog walking.

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington where it is foggy this morning and will be sunny and 72 degrees later.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    :)B)<3
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Purl, so sorry for your loss. Losing parents is devastating. My dad died 8 years ago just 41/2 months before my husband and I were married. When he went into the hospital (never to come home) he kept introducing me to the nurses as ' my daughter who is getting married in Hawaii' Dad had been to Hawaii 35 years before when I was young and really loved it. Needless to say, tears on my wedding day. I always regretted that he didn't see the photos even though I know he was at the wedding. Tearing up even now. We have lost both of the DH's 'rents as well and it is always awful.

Carol- belated Happy Birthday! Hope it was Peachy! Started to post that yesterday but got booted out. Darn computers.

Lenora- That bathing suit thing still has me laughing. Makes me think of some really hilarious times Mom and I have had lingerie shopping. Once a lady in the adjacent dressing room told us she wished she could have as much fun shopping as we did! (I think on that occasion I was trying to squash her into a bustier for a formal and trying to figure out how to get my foot on her back for leverage or something!!!)I have to figure out how to save that and send it to her. She will just roll on the floor.

Glo-Again, sorry to here about your Mom. Mine is the world to me and I cannot bear to think of the day when she is not here. I had a shingles type virus (on my leg?) Doctor's have no idea why I got it or especially there but the pain was just unbelievable. My ins will cover me for the vaccine and both the pharmacist and Mom are bugging me about it. Just have to get it done. Hope you are feeling better.

RE- yea for AC. Our local weather said this morning that we are tracking as the hottest August on record. Currently a full 2 degrees hotter. Yippee.

Half a month in and no real goals met yet. But not going backwards. I really need to get busy. This heat makes me so lethargic. Excuses, Excuses....

Happy Tuesday Gals. Thanks for the things that make me laugh and cry. :):'(

Tracey- still hot in PA.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    B)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,359 Member
    Options
    Barbie - Yes, thanks for that. <3 My memoirs are bitter/sweet.
    I never really grieved my parents'deaths. I envy those of you who are/were close to your parents. My relationship with them was so conflicted and complicated that there was not much more than a slightly sad relief. They both were in hospital at the end and went fairly quickly. I was there for my mother's death. Sometimes I really wish I missed them more. :'(

Had a lovely yoga practice and have arranged for my friend to come over next Tuesday for a session together. :D

Must do some kettlebell swings this pm to bump up the calorie burn. Plus make my soup. Then off to my hair appointment.

Love to all, Heather UK
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 3X5X35
    Russian Kettlebell swing- 25X10X35

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge
    5 miles

I may still be MIA today and tomorrow because of the DGSs. Archery practice, walking through the shops, bike ride and movie!

Have a great day!

Mary from Minnesota
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning all! Happy Saturday!

Lillian- Quiet coffee mornings are the BEST! Your DGD sounds like a busy girl! At least she sleeps through the night, right?

Yes...thank goodness she sleeps through the night...
  • Lilymay2
    Options
    Charleen2 wrote: »
    Lillian - I totally agree with you, there is no start to the day before the first cup of coffee. Now that DD is in her 20's she has learned not to try and have any conversation with me before the first cup is down. Any diet that calls for that morning cup of heaven to be ditched isn't a diet, its pure evil with a side of death wish for the unwary. :D

Charleen in Colorado (A couple of cool days before the 90's return. I'm working as fast as I can) p0109.gif

Awe!! I agree.... cannot part with my morning coffee....However i will warn all there is a diet that does eliminate the morning coffee and it it " Modere" . my DDIL is starting it and also a friend is. They both said they take a supplement in the morning that is high in caffeine and the plan recommends not drinking coffee...

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Re in TX – When we were on vacation with the DGDs … we stood in front of a ‘cooler’ much like you used. Big fan connected to water; most glorious site at the zoo. Five miles of walking. Coming from the opposite side of the zoo, when we found it. Otherwise, going inside to look at the reptiles and stuff like that during the time to get cool.

Marcelyn – I went all through the summer with my DYS … right to August 31st. Talk about hot! I’d stand in a ‘cool’ shower to get cool enough to change clothes. Now can't stand the 'thought' of a 'cool' shower; it has to be as 'hot as I can stand it'. A day before he came; friends and I were out in the front year (on the east side) peeling a bushel of peaches my Daddy had dropped off. Sitting on the cool side of the house. Then, to make matters worse … I got down on my hands and knees to dig up and replant all my flowers during my 8th month; thanks to a leak around the house, because the damn builder had NOT put in drain tiles. Three times; then, we ended up ‘suing’ him over it. He came to fix it for the ‘new’ owners. I’ll never live on a hill if the house is below street level. He ended up digging all around the entire foundation (even under the house) and then putting 3 or 4 rows of drain tiles up from the house to the road. We would have just not been able to ever sell the house if my Daddy had not been an attorney. We had H.O.W. insurance from him … so he had to ‘fix’ it to our satisfaction and the ‘new’ owners. I’ve never had as pretty of a bed of petunias as I had there. They just don’t seem to do as well down here in SW GA.

b]Purl[/b] – I still miss my parents; Daddy’s been dead since 1985; and Mother died about 10 years ago; as did my DMnL … I still want to pick up the phone and ‘talk to them’. But, I don’t have the number in Heaven. So I guess I will just have to wait. Sorry for your loss. With time, it does get easier.

Karen – Whenever I entered my Daddy’s room in the ICU – the bells and whistles would go crazy; I finally crawled up into the bed with him and laid down beside him. My Mother was watching from the hall, right outside his room. When I did that … the bells and whistles stopped and went back to normal. I had my head resting on my Mother’s pillow when she took her last breath. When I raised up; both my sisters wanted to know what was happening! I told them she had just died and to go get one of the ladies at the A.L.F. She seemed so peaceful about it. A week before, she had told one of the ladies that she had ‘seen the gates of Heaven’ swing open and shut and that my Daddy was on the other side. I think she held out (even though she was on morphine) until all 3 of us got there. She opened her eyes just long enough to say “Hi” to my middle sister who had to come up from Miami.

Mother called to tell us that Daddy had had a bad stroke and was in ICU; I tried to sleep but kept having a dream where I felt like I was drowning. I saw ‘lightning bugs’ flying over me on top of the water and going around in circles. When I saw the first one … it was actually 2 together (it symbolized that my first friends were twins); and then others would come and join in the circle(s); and, then some would fly away. I told DH that I could NOT wait until the next AM to go up there, so we loaded the boys in the car and went.

When Mother called to tell us that he had died; we loaded up the boys again and went up. The sky was full of stars and my boys kept seeing ‘shooting stars’ … and when DOS asked, ‘is that PaPaw up there’? DH had to pull off the road so he could ‘cry’. There were several shooting stars and we sat there and watched them and I told him … ‘yeah, that is PaPaw' and the others are people who were ‘in the same place … or getting there’.

Katla – After my wreck; between it and when we got the car back 5 weeks later, our kit to our ‘locking lug nuts’ had gone missing. It cost us $85 to have the lug nuts replaced with new ones and a new kit; thankfully, my insurance paid it after I told them what had happened. One of the other [dealership] or both HAD to have taken the wheel off to fix the fenders. I did not know that they came in different sizes; but, I guess since they are ‘locking’ … there isn’t a universal set that fits all makes and models. It was 'cheaper' (surprisingly) for them to replace them, than it would have been to get them measured and wait 3 weeks for a kit. They are there for a purpose … to keep someone from stealing the wheels over a period of time if you have to leave the car somewhere. But, it would have cost more, go figure; to have the kit replaced. About 3 weeks and we did not have time to wait. Good thing we did not have a flat on the car when we took the girls to the beach. I only discovered it when I did a ‘check’ on the car for our trip out to Louisiana.

Heather – Never say ‘never’. The right person might cross her path in the strangest of ways. My DYS, after watching his DB and wife argue or fight, decided that ‘if that was what marriage was all about, he wanted no part of it’. He dated a woman for 8 months (we never met her; they broke up before we went back the next year). He said, she drew a line in the sand; one that he wasn’t going to ever over. He told her why and he never heard from her again. About 6 months later, a friend of our DDnL#2 told her she wanted to introduce them … they had both been hunting at the same place … he fell hard and she wasn’t looking for a relationship. But, after 3 dates … it because serious for both of them. She ‘thanks’ me for ‘having produced her “Prince” every time that we talk or see one another'. I told her he was ‘not perfect’; but, she said he was ‘perfect for her in every way, for the second, moment, and lifetime’. But, then, some people never want to get married for whatever reasons they have. At 40, she is probably ‘set in her ways’ and any change might ‘upset the apple cart she’s been pushing’.

Joyce – LOL! I’m not sure that many women look all that ‘great’ in a bathing suit you described as making you look like a blue marshmallow. Just the ‘hard bodies’; but, then … still some of them have their bottoms hanging out. I am surprised at the number of ‘big women, men and children’ that had on 2-piece or bikinis (and the men ... "Speedos"). Oh the thought of that is "EEEWWW!" That is when I want to say, “Just because they make it in your size, doesn’t mean you should wear it.” Even when I was pregnant with my boys; I had a maternity bathing suit. But, I never like the feeling of feeling a breeze under the bottom of any top. My DH ‘thinks he is helping by putting my clothes in the dryer; then they shrink lengthwise. He no longer does it … because when he does … I have to replace them. I’m already long-waisted as it is. I hate to feel like I need to pull it down. He'll now just tell me that I have clothes in the washer that need to go into the dryer.

Glo – Shingles are only contagious if you are around someone (a child) who has not yet had chicken pox. When DYS had them, he had to stay out at the lake, because his step-daughter had not had them. They were told that by the MD that treated him; otherwise, they are not considered contagious to others. But, if I was going to be in a crowd of others … I might ask if anybody had not already had chicken pox. His started on his neck, went up into his hair across one side of his face; and, into his mouth. Thankfully, it did not affect his eyes. He thought that he was just having a bad toothache. His regular dentist could not find anything wrong with them. He had not yet broken out. The next day he went to Shreveport to go to a Periodontist; and when the hygienist came in to clean his teeth, she went and got the dentist. He came in and said, you need to go next door to see a MD. He made the appointment for him … he saw the MD and confirmed that he had a bad case of ‘shingles’ and put him on medication. Then he went back to the dentist and he gave him a mouthwash to use. After his outbreak, he had the ‘shingles’ vaccine so that if they ever return, maybe it will be a ‘light’ case. Because they were all in his mouth, he ended up having to have gum surgery. Thankfully, DDnL#2 had ‘buzzed his head’ right before he broke out with the shingles. So that he’d be ‘cooler’. I thought he had the Jason Stamos [sp?] ‘Bad Boy’ look. I have both Medicare and BC/BS … my shot got paid for; but, I don’t know by whom. I just had to answer about 5 questions and then sign a paper.

Tracy – I think you can go to my post and ‘highlight’ it and open up a word processing programs and copy it to it; then you can do the same thing from your word processing program to your email program as a 'new' email. I answer the posts by opening up a word processing program and put it side-by-side with the posts that have been posted. Answer them, copy and paste them to MFP; delete them when closing out of the WPP and then make any corrections before I hit ‘post’.

Lenora
  • Lilymay2
    Options
    Well the garage sale won't happen this week..... I will be going to the city with DSIL for her surgery. So ...two days in Edmonton at the beginning of the week and 3 days there the end of the week....

Now - 2 days at home...one with the grandkids..... one to straighten out the house and get my poop together ...okay when does retirement kick in again?

And hot again today!!

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Charleen in CO: I'm willing to bet that the deck staining project took a great many more than 5 minutes. WTG! :smiley:

Heather: Your DH's daughter sounds like an amazing woman. I hope you enjoy your lunch with her. :heart: You feel what you feel about your parents because of their actions while alive. There is no fault on your part for that. (((HUGS)))

Gloria: I am so thrilled that you are back! DH & I both had chicken pox as children and had matching scars in our eyebrows when we met. I can't see his any more, and he can't see mine, either. I've had my anti-chicken pox shot but he hasn't been able to take one due to his many autoimmune problems. There is too much risk for him that it would trigger an outbreak. I hope you never have another outbreak. :noway:

Our dog goes to the groomer today. He gets a comb out, no bath and only minor clipping on leg hair. Yay! I'm so glad that her services are affordable. I don't have the patience it takes to do a good job without losing my temper. I'm ashamed of that, but can't help it. Taking him to the groomer is kinder to both of us.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Charleen in CO: I'm willing to bet that the deck staining project took a great many more than 5 minutes. WTG! :smiley:

That is exactly what I thought!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    Having gout attack ,can you say pain?
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Heather, I miss the idea of a mom and dad who were loving and caring much more than I miss my actual parents, who were not. I did not grieve when my mom died at all- I had already grieved not having a mom in the sense of a mothering, nurturing person, all my life. And I had "divorced" her when she started causing my children pain with her actions. She screwed up my life, I was not going to let her screw up my kids' lives. I cut off all contact. My dad was not home much because my mother was so awful, so it isn't really him that I grieve, either. But with him there would have been the chance of having a decent relationship when I was no longer a child, so that is really what I am grieving. He was a decent, caring person but unable to cope with a severely narcissistic, mentally ill wife or the anger that she instigated.
  • melaniemetoyer
    melaniemetoyer Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies, just checking in.... I'm sure you've heard about the flooding in Louisiana. unfortunately Baton Rouge was hit hard, and I lost almost everything. Not a happy camper right now
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Melanie- I am so sorry to hear that. (((hugs)))

<3

Mary from Minnesota