WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    sending hugs to those that need them.Have a good Tues.
    jane
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Melanie, so sorry about loosing so much with the floods. I have never experienced something like that and have no point of reference. No tornado, no flood, no fire, no robberies.

Barbie, I am on a muscle relaxant, my sister is and our Medicare D pays for it. She is on Flexeril, I am on Parofon Forte.

My Dad had awful shingles, the longer he was on his Tylenol with codiene the more confused he got. Michelle, who I think got so many things when she was a kid had shingles. I remember the first time she complained of pain I just told her it was growing pains. But I took her to urgent care one day and sure enough it was singles. Charlie had it on his forhead, I think that is the only time he had ever taken a Tylenol.

Had my appointment this morning with the cardiologist. I really think the only reason Charlie wanted to go was to question the doctor on the protocol on the stress test. So I told him that I did not want him to immediately go in and say what he wanted to because sometimes his tone of voice is then tactful. So he let her examine me, explain the results. I told her that I got some asthmatic problems with it and that is when he stepped in. And one of his favorite ways to put things is 'logic and common sense dictates'. So she answers back you think I don't have common sense? So we had some tense moments when he said that. Anyway, she was very concerned about the heart rate. So she said we could go two ways. 1, go off of my beta blocker and see how I do or just go ahead and schedule it. I said I wanted to schedule it. So the doctor that sees Charlie does caths on Mondays so that is when it will be done. I am to completely stop my beta blocker. That will be hard. I have been on one since the mid 70's and my heart is so used to it that even a heart rate of 70 feels so strained on me. So I will see. But because I do have this condition that my heart rate can go up to 200 for no reason, eventually it will have to be addressed.

Joyce, Indiana
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Joyce, do you have supraventricular tachycardia? It runs in my family. My grandmother, my mother, and I all have (had) it. My mom chose to do the ablation and pacemaker route. I just live with it. I can usually get it to slow down, but it often reoccurs during that day. I have had far less problems since 1) my periods stopped, and 2) I realized I had celiac and went gluten free. It would often happen on the day before my period started. My doctor offered me a beta blocker, but since I fight feeling sluggish all the time because of my depression, I said no, I wasn't going to take a medication that would make me feel sluggish.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    melanie so horrible to hear of the damage from the floods. Sending you strength, hope you get the support and help you need as you recover from the devastation. <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,323 Member
    Options
    Oh dear Melanie! I am so sorry. :'(:'(:'(

Heather UK

We sat outside this evening,- no noise, no weed whacking, no mowing, no kids, no dogs. :D Had a lovely chat and a drink. Just like being on holiday. <3
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Checking in... ((((hugs to you ladies that are suffering physically or otherwise)))))))

Many conversations on emotional pain. For me the most important thing I can do for my own self is to let emotions take their course. Sometimes the pain of the passing of my parents was like a slap in the face, by a "wave of emotions". It can be triggered by anything really, but the the most important thing that I can do is just mentally hold on to positive feelings, my buoy, until the storm from my heart blows over. There really isn't anything I can do but keep my head above water. To all of you, keep swimming. Keep your eyes open though.
    ((hugs)))
    Becca
    Oregon
  • MissDi321
    MissDi321 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies--I am a 62 yr old grandma and wife and mother of 2 sons. I am fairly new here and have posted in a couple of places. Not hearing from anyone--so I read some of the posts here and would like to join in the conversations and get to know others. I need motivation to exercise. My tracking is going well and my water intake is great--ofcourse it is so hot and the house isn't airconditioned so I drink water to stay hydrated.
    I live in PA and today it is beautiful.
    Looking for people to come along side me and help me to stay motivated.
    Call me Di.
    Blessings to everyone.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Di Welcome to a great group!

Melanie So sorry for what you are going through.

Karen in Virginia
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Melanie: My prayers are with you and yours. I hope you will recoup your losses soon and are safe in the mean time. I also hope you had flood insurance. :heart:

Joyce: (((HUGS))) I'm sure the doctor wants you to be off any medication that could conflict with medicines used during the procedure on Monday. I hope your heart rate behaves well enough while you're getting ready for this. :flowerforyou:

Becca: I like your perspective on stressful situations and your wise advice, "There really isn't anything I can do but keep my head above water. To all of you, keep swimming. Keep your eyes open though." Well said, my friend. :smiley:

Di: Welcome to a great group of very chatty women. :bigsmile:

I lost my key to DH's car yesterday and I'm still beating myself up over it. I think I set it on the roof and it flew off somewhere along my route. We can buy another key, but it won't be cheap & I feel foolish. I am NOT happy with feeling foolish and even less happy with deserving it. :grumble:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • MissDi321
    Options
    Melanie--so sorry to hear about the flooding and your loss. sending hugs and prayers for you.
  • MissDi321
    Options
    @Miriamwithcats--I can relate to the mom post. Years of therapy and learning that I need to take care of myself and when my boys were young, take care of them...mother was not and still isn't the mother I needed. Sometimes I still grieve the loss of the nurturing mother and father, but I had other women in my life that nurtured me and loved me and that is what saved me. I am sorry you had to go thru that in your life. No one should.
    Di in PA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,081 Member
    Options
    (((Melanie)))
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Melanie ~ Prayers said for you and all the folks who have suffered through the flooding.

Spent 2-1/2 hrs cleaning the bathrooms at the rental house. The more I do the more I see other things that need to be done. I'm sure a lot of you must think, "Why keep it?" The main reason is that the rent money does make a difference (especially when the renters pay) and because we hope to leave it to our son some day.

Carol
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Afternoon Ladies,

I was almost caught up and stopped for a while. When I came back to my computer it had some message about a virus (bogus I think) and wouldn’t let me close the page so I had to turn it off and back on. In the process, I lost my page of notes I had taken. Normally Word will do an auto save but none this time. Sorry but just know you all had some wonderful comments about your posts for the past two days. And so many cute emoticons.

Joyce, I’m glad you got the heart cath scheduled so you can find out what’s going on. My DH thinks that is the only way for the doctors to know what is truly going on and he has no faith in the stress tests or any other test. LOL Don’t they just know how to talk to people some time??/
    Melanie, so sad about what’s happening to you and so many others. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Di, welcome. You will find this a great place for support and information. Come here daily and join right in and these smart women will get you on track in no time. I’m the world’s laziest person and they even have me exercising.

Katla, sorry about the key. I just hate it when I do things like that which end up costing good money I could use for fun.
    pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

It’s been a pretty lazy day today. I have actually spent most of it catching up here and working on my computer. DH and I are going to watch a movie we have recorded. Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day! rainbow-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Did 10 minutes of yoga, did 10 sets of 10 bicycles, then the extremepump class. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Kathy Kaehler Workout DVD

Lenora - is the water in your pool refreshing? Last night our water wasn't very refreshing. But it certainly was better than nothing at all. Sure hope your hubby is OK and that blood isn't something serious. The water today was 90 degrees. Well, better than nothing! Loved those stories about the bathing suits

pip - when you taught aerobics, were you facing the class or did you have your back to the class? Personally, I like bullet too. Especially since the Airstream is all silver.

Glo - I'm so sorry about your mom and then you getting the shingles

Mary from MN - I spoke to the instructor today when I took the extremepump class. She also teaches a kettlebell class. She said that there really isn't any difference between using a kettlebell and using the weighted bar that I use when doing deadlifts. Do you agree?

miriam big congrats to your daughter, on her b-day and on going higher in TKD

Re - so glad you got your AC back! Great price, too

Tuesday here. Yesterday went to ceramics and then mahjongg. They fired my seaturtle and it didn't shiver. Now I'm working on another snail, I really wanted something in red white and blue since 4th of July is in summer. Please, please, please, don't let this shiver.

Did 50 min of Kathy Kaehler DVD step. Pretty good, very basic, which is what I need, but you really get your heartrate up and are sweating. The plan for tomorrow is to do the deep water class. Then I think I may go to Sam's to get some chips for the pool social and Vince needs milk which I think they sell there. Probably not as cheap as Aldi where I was yesterday.

After exercising yesterday, stopped at the Salvation Army (didn't find anything) then Aldi. We didn't have bowling since the new season starts next week. So I went in the pool, then ceramics then mahjongg.

Betty - the Y I used to belong to had a deep water walking class. You can wear a floation belt and it's just like it says -- you walk (usually pretty fast) in the water, at least that's what they did. You probably will need to go to the class or at least observe it to know what it is they do. I do HIIT on the elliptical. Right now I sprint for 30 seconds then recover for 30 seconds (just go at a slower pace). That burns a lot of calories.

Purl - I'm so sorry about your dad

Margaret - how wonderful about your dad, seeing that rainbow and all

Jess just called. Someone near her has a horse for lease and she's thinking about it. I have a feeling that she won't go for it, tho

DJ - how I wish we could have a clothesline and hang our clothes outside. I do put my bedspreads and mattress covers on the deck after I wash them. So sorry you lost the money

Lenora - I'm totally convinced that my father held out passing away until I could be there. I got there on a Friday and he passed Sat. morning.

Alison - Vince had gout and he said it felt like he wanted them to just cut off his toe. Feel better fast. Now he takes Euloric to prevent another attack

Melanie - so sorry you lost everything. I can't imagine that happening

Di - welcome! Just jump right in, we love having everyone

katla - did the key have a chip in it? Is that why it's so expensive? Or was there a key fob on it?

Went in the pool then did a few laps, then went in the spa. I was thinking "I wish there was a clock out here so I could know how long I was in the spa". I'm thinking that the waterproof remote has the time on it, I just may have to take that out with me and monitor how long I'm in the spa. But I did my part to keep the pool clean....lol I wonder if I should do it tonight, too...you know...just to be on the safe side

Better pot this before I forget again.

Michele in NC

9cdgw8sr45e6.jpg

• MissDi321
    Options
    MIchele--love your Sea Turtle!!!!! What a good job of painting you did! :)
    would love to see your snail when that is done also.
    Di in PA
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Oh, Melanie, I am so, so very sorry.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Michele Lovely Sea Turtle!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Michele- in a way your instructor is correct in that the lifting of the bar for the dead lift uses similar muscle groups that is why the Kettlebell enhances the DL lifting amounts. However, the Kettlebell swing affects a lot more muscles then the DL with the swing motion.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Y'all may recall that my ex-husband, and still good friend, passed away last Sept. Then his 34 yr daughter Tara passed very unexpectedly in March. Today Tara and Lisa's (I still consider them my step-daughters and I was married to their Dad for years) Mom passed from complications due to several strokes in the last year. Poor Lisa has now had to face the loss of her Dad, sister and Mom in less than an 11 month period. Tara left an 18 yr old son that Lisa (32) now has to be Mom to. Please remember Lisa and her family with prayers and positive thots. It has been a very hard time for her. Poor Lisa has had more than her fair share this last year.

Jack and I have decided to go long-term RVing, but not actual full-time. We will keep our house so we have a place to come home to and live when we no longer find the open road alluring. Jack's youngest son (39) will come and stay at our house so we won't be leaving it empty. He is divorced and lives alone. He has 3 kids (two different moms) that spend some weekends with him. We will leave for our first extended trip the middle of Sept. as youngest son had to give his current landlord 30 days notice. We'll pretty much be gone until the first part of March as we already had plans to spend Jan and Feb in Arizona with our besties. We'll come home thru Christmas holidays and to get ready to go with next door neighbors to AZ.

Melanie so sorry to hear of your lose. Big (((hugs)))

Di, welcome and jump right in and join the conversation. This is a terrific group of supportive ladies.

Janetr OKC