Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is dairy good or bad?

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    You have to ask yourself why so many millions of people are lactose intolerant. Some people just simply adapt to digesting the sugar enzymes contained in milk out of survival. Others don't. I wonder about things like this... like if something is giving you heart burn would you just take a pill and continue to eat the item? Personally I feel like that's my body telling me to stop. So many people forgot to listen to their bodies thought it's just sad. A lot of people actually let a computer program and application developers tell them when they should eat instead of trying to figure out if their actually hungry or not :smile:

that last statement is pretty ironic given that you have an open diary that you are using to track calories on a site that is designed by others...

Really? out of the entire statement all you can come up with picking on the very last sentence? LOL!
    Okay, I'll play, yes I'm using a site built and maintained by developers. But that doesn't mean I have forgotten how to listen to my body. It was a general statement, not aimed at anyone in particular.
    Are we done now?

I sure hope so. The anthropomorphizing and illogical appeals to emotion posing as legitimate arguments against the nutritional benefits of milk consumption are getting old.

Ahhh....The plagiarism of another (illogial, unscientific) site combined with the distinct increase in screechiness and general hysteria in response to the debunking of a position took me back to my days of teaching college writing. Next, the crying. I would collect the tears in a vial and wear them on a chain around my neck.

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/04/03/over-75-of-earths-population-is-lactose-intolerant-for-a-reason-dairy-is-harmful/

From that same site:
    Deodorant causes breast cancer.

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2015/10/23/how-to-prevent-breast-cancer-through-an-armpit-detox/

Yeah, the ACS says so too:
    http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/antiperspirants-and-breast-cancer-risk

Uhh...

"All of these claims are largely untrue."

See, not entirely. Do you really think you could take something that doesn't exist in nature like aluminum and just shove it up your arm to stop yourself from getting rid of the body's toxins?

Did you just say that aluminum doesn't exist in nature?

Have you ever seen aluminum on a farm or a forest?

Yes. Now go back to your bridge.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited August 2016
    You have to ask yourself why so many millions of people are lactose intolerant. Some people just simply adapt to digesting the sugar enzymes contained in milk out of survival. Others don't. I wonder about things like this... like if something is giving you heart burn would you just take a pill and continue to eat the item? Personally I feel like that's my body telling me to stop. So many people forgot to listen to their bodies thought it's just sad. A lot of people actually let a computer program and application developers tell them when they should eat instead of trying to figure out if their actually hungry or not :smile:

that last statement is pretty ironic given that you have an open diary that you are using to track calories on a site that is designed by others...

Really? out of the entire statement all you can come up with picking on the very last sentence? LOL!
    Okay, I'll play, yes I'm using a site built and maintained by developers. But that doesn't mean I have forgotten how to listen to my body. It was a general statement, not aimed at anyone in particular.
    Are we done now?

I sure hope so. The anthropomorphizing and illogical appeals to emotion posing as legitimate arguments against the nutritional benefits of milk consumption are getting old.

Ahhh....The plagiarism of another (illogial, unscientific) site combined with the distinct increase in screechiness and general hysteria in response to the debunking of a position took me back to my days of teaching college writing. Next, the crying. I would collect the tears in a vial and wear them on a chain around my neck.

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/04/03/over-75-of-earths-population-is-lactose-intolerant-for-a-reason-dairy-is-harmful/

From that same site:

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2015/10/23/how-to-prevent-breast-cancer-through-an-armpit-detox/

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/antiperspirants-and-breast-cancer-risk

Uhh...

"All of these claims are largely untrue."

See, not entirely. Do you really think you could take something that doesn't exist in nature like aluminum and just shove it up your arm to stop yourself from getting rid of the body's toxins?

Did you just say that aluminum doesn't exist in nature?

Have you ever seen aluminum on a farm or a forest?

It's an element on the stinking periodic table! It's not a man-made substance. It's harvested straight out of the dirt! (or rock)

So yeah, it's on farms and in forests all over the place.

Thank you for pointing out more evidence it is a chemical.

Oxygen is a chemical.

ETA and I apologize for feeding the troll
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    rankinsect wrote: »
    salembambi wrote: »
    bad for you

& especially for the calf and mother cows

Those cows would be in a lot of pain if they were unmilked. Dairy cows are upset with you if you fail to milk them on schedule.

Totally wrong.
    Cows are forcefully inseminated and the moment they give birth the baby calf is ripped away before it can even walk or open it's eyes. The babies are put into cages (some) for veal and the mother cows are milked, for their milk. The entire process is painful and unethical. But yeah... keep listening to the multi-billion dollar dairy industry when they tell you milk does a body good.

Oh, and momma cows are also upset when their babies are taken away from them.

The words Ethical farming and slaughter just don't make sense.

I grew up on a dairy farm. NONE OF THESE THINGS HAPPENED on our farm. None of the cows were artificially inseminated. The calves drank from their mothers until they were ready to be weaned. The calves were well cared for and were either added to the heard, or sold at market once they were older. It is absolutely possible to make choices that don't support the practices you are talking about. But to be honest, when someone comes in with the type of approach as you are using here, I actually want to eat all the cows and drink all the milk.

ETA: and yes, failing to milk the cows was painful for them.

Well I never said all of them were doing that. But even one is too many.
    Go ahead and eat cows and drink milk all day everyday, that's your problem not mine :smile:

Our problem? We don't have a problem with it. You on the other hand seem very distressed about it.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited August 2016
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »

Are we done now?

From that same site:

Uhm...did you read the article you linked? Because it straight up says there's no reason to believe such claims.

From your own link:
    "Do antiperspirants increase a person's risk of breast cancer?

There are no strong epidemiologic studies in the medical literature that link breast cancer risk and antiperspirant use, and very little scientific evidence to support this claim.

In fact, a carefully designed epidemiologic study of this issue published in 2002 compared 813 women with breast cancer and 793 women without the disease. The researchers found no link between breast cancer risk and antiperspirant use, deodorant use, or underarm shaving."

You're taking that part out of context.

Taken in context reading that entire article there is literally (and i mean that literally) where it states antiperspirants/deodorants with or without aluminium cause or contribute to cancer.

Finally someone read the entire article.

Because we know you didn't.

Good job though.
    You came to the site as a new poster, found a milk thread, latched on to a tidbit about deodorant and completely derailed the thread with nonsense and a complete lack of basic comprehension of reality.
    Troll level 6.

He said, " it states antiperspirants/deodorants with or without aluminium cause or contribute to cancer."
    That's how I know he read the whole thing.
    You're taking the parts where it says "no strong evidence" in the wrong context. It says, "no strong evidence". That isn't the same as no evidence. Maybe you're fine with risking cancer and dementia over strength of evidence, but not everyone is.

No.
    He said:
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »

Are we done now?

From that same site:

Uhm...did you read the article you linked? Because it straight up says there's no reason to believe such claims.

From your own link:
    "Do antiperspirants increase a person's risk of breast cancer?

There are no strong epidemiologic studies in the medical literature that link breast cancer risk and antiperspirant use, and very little scientific evidence to support this claim.

In fact, a carefully designed epidemiologic study of this issue published in 2002 compared 813 women with breast cancer and 793 women without the disease. The researchers found no link between breast cancer risk and antiperspirant use, deodorant use, or underarm shaving."

You're taking that part out of context.

Taken in context reading that entire article there is literally (and i mean that literally) no where it states antiperspirants/deodorants with or without aluminium cause or contribute to cancer.

He is disagreeing with you. You misquoted him.

ETA
    And I did read the whole article myself and I took nothing out of context. The entirety of the message being put forward is "don't worry about it. It's just an email rumor."
    If you read the whole thing and think that it in any way insinuates that there is any reason to think that antiperspirant causes breast cancer, you have some serious problems with reading comprehension.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    I just snorted my lunch milk!!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    I am slightly lactose intolerant, having milk causes serious gastrointestinal distress, but I am able to have an occasional yogurt, ice cream, and cheese on my pizza without crying.

So a thumbs up for dairy from me. I could never give up pizza!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I am slightly lactose intolerant, having milk causes serious gastrointestinal distress, but I am able to have an occasional yogurt, ice cream, and cheese on my pizza without crying.

So a thumbs up for dairy from me. I could never give up pizza!

I understand that many people consider the dairy cheese to be an integral part of pizza, but it's totally possible to do pizza without dairy. I have pizza several times a month. I wouldn't want to give it up either, I just do dairy-free.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Hard cheeses have very little lactose btw
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    There is dairy free cheese? What is it made out of?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    There is dairy free cheese? What is it made out of?

There are tons of dairy-free cheeses on the market and many that you can make at home. One of the most popular brands in the US is Daiya, another I like is Miyoko's Creamery. They're often made out of soy, but can also be coconut or nut (cashew or almond) based. I will sometimes make a tofu ricotta or cashew cheese at home to top pizza or just skip the cheese and enjoy the sauce and the veggies (or maybe add a bit of hummus for creaminess after it is done baking).
  • lcrampton44
    lcrampton44 Posts: 3 Member
    This report combines the findings of over 400 scientific papers from reputable peer-reviewed journals such as the British Medical Journal and the Lancet. The research is clear – the consumption of cow’s milk and dairy products is linked to the development of teenage acne, allergies, arthritis, some cancers, colic, constipation, coronary heart disease, Crohn’s disease, diabetes, dementia, ear infection, food poisoning, gallstones, kidney disease, migraine, autoimmune conditions, including multiple sclerosis, overweight, obesity and osteoporosis

http://www.whitelies.org.uk/sites/default/files/milkmyths/White Lies report 2014.pdf
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    This report combines the findings of over 400 scientific papers from reputable peer-reviewed journals such as the British Medical Journal and the Lancet. The research is clear – the consumption of cow’s milk and dairy products is linked to the development of teenage acne, allergies, arthritis, some cancers, colic, constipation, coronary heart disease, Crohn’s disease, diabetes, dementia, ear infection, food poisoning, gallstones, kidney disease, migraine, autoimmune conditions, including multiple sclerosis, overweight, obesity and osteoporosis

http://www.whitelies.org.uk/sites/default/files/milkmyths/White Lies report 2014.pdf

Strong first post
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    cottage cheese is best thin ever invented