Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is dairy good or bad?

ztuins
ztuins Posts: 9 Member
Thanks!

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Good
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Plenty is good. Too much is too much. If one is intolerant of lactose, it's difficult but survivable.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I like dairy. It fits in my goals. For me, dairy is good.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Yes
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Good :+1:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    salembambi wrote: »
    bad for you

& especially for the calf and mother cows

That depends where you get your milk from. I buy local (the farm is 30 minutes from me), organic, grass fed milk.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Divine. Yogurt, Greek yogurt, Kefir, cottage cheese, all the cheeses. Casein and Whey. Good quantity of protein, so an easy way to round out your meal.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    bad for you

How is it bad for you?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Good. Very very good actually. It's necessary if you want great tasting cheese, ice cream, greek yogurt or milkshake. You can safely ignore the fear mongering around it. If you like it, not allergic to it, and it can comfortably fit into your calorie budget I see no reason to avoid it.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    bad for you

It's good for those people who don't have an allergy and have the gene that allows them to digest it, and so is beef. The question of whether it's good for the cows is another issue. For the dairy cows raised near me I'd say it's good for them since all are pasture raised, protected from predators, and well fed. The beef cattle? It's arguable as to whether it's good for the species (it is removed from the pressure of natural selection).
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    Milk products are good in many ways. They are full of nutrients, minerals which are particularly good for one. Iodine is something which hardly ever gets a mention. True one only needs a little 150 microns on a daily basis, dairy is a good way to achieve this and other minerals which promote good thyroid health. Iodine is found in many foods but more often in smaller amounts, 100 gram of dark green veg only provides 4 microns for example when 100 ml of either cow or goat milk provides 30. Cow milk is type 1 casein the protein which can be problematic for many but goat is type two like A2 milk. It is also considered that goat milk lactose is probably easier to digest for some because the body has less stress utilising the milk in comparison to that of cows.