Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is dairy good or bad?

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Seriously, what I am supposed to eat with Oreos, if not milk?

Pfft...
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    sentipede wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    rankinsect wrote: »
    salembambi wrote: »
    bad for you

& especially for the calf and mother cows

Those cows would be in a lot of pain if they were unmilked. Dairy cows are upset with you if you fail to milk them on schedule.

Totally wrong.
    Cows are forcefully inseminated and the moment they give birth the baby calf is ripped away before it can even walk or open it's eyes. The babies are put into cages (some) for veal and the mother cows are milked, for their milk. The entire process is painful and unethical. But yeah... keep listening to the multi-billion dollar dairy industry when they tell you milk does a body good.

Oh, and momma cows are also upset when their babies are taken away from them.

The words Ethical farming and slaughter just don't make sense.

I grew up on a dairy farm. NONE OF THESE THINGS HAPPENED on our farm. None of the cows were artificially inseminated. The calves drank from their mothers until they were ready to be weaned. The calves were well cared for and were either added to the heard, or sold at market once they were older. It is absolutely possible to make choices that don't support the practices you are talking about. But to be honest, when someone comes in with the type of approach as you are using here, I actually want to eat all the cows and drink all the milk.

ETA: and yes, failing to milk the cows was painful for them.

But a PITA sandwich video on YouTube with absolutely no references showed them doing that. Clearly that is how every single farm is run. Did you YouTube your childhood farm? I didn't think so.

*sigh* you caught me. My recollection is probably way off too. :confounded:

There was likely another barn (maybe it was in the basement of the red one, and there was a secret access tunnel that we weren't ever told about). In the dank cellar barn is where my parents committed all their atrocities. Fortunately, they didn't YouTube that either.
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure you can point to someone's claim and say it's invalid because it's anecdotal and then provide your own anecdote as a counter point.

Pointing out that ethicacy doesn't say anything about the nutritional value was solid enough.

While I can't speak to the validity to either side I've seen studies that support both that it's good and that it's bad. The ethics part and the fact that it's super easy to do without, especially with some of the replacement options available (I like almond milk way better than cow milk), make it easy for me to avoid dairy.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Seriously, what I am supposed to eat with Oreos, if not milk?

Pfft...

IKR?
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    Options
    I'm not sure you can point to someone's claim and say it's invalid because it's anecdotal and then provide your own anecdote as a counter point.

Pointing out that ethicacy doesn't say anything about the nutritional value was solid enough.

While I can't speak to the validity to either side I've seen studies that support both that it's good and that it's bad. The ethics part and the fact that it's super easy to do without, especially with some of the replacement options available (I like almond milk way better than cow milk), make it easy for me to avoid dairy.

Is almond milk truly a replacement for most dairy? The protein is lower, adding vitamin D to it isn't necessary, calcium is so-so depending on manufacture.

I don't need it for protein. I get enough protein from other sources. Calcium I get from the greens I eat. So really for me it's just a culinary replacement. I guess if someone is not eating the same as me it can seem milk is more imperative, but I was just jumping on the anecdote train with my own :P.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

The point is simply that not all dairy cows are treated the way it was described. I'm not saying that these things don't happen. They do, but not all places everywhere. I don't mind anecdotes, so long as they aren't being used as a generalization.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    You have to ask yourself why so many millions of people are lactose intolerant.

You realize we know the answer to this, right? I even gave you a link in a prior discussion that explained it.
    Some people just simply adapt to digesting the sugar enzymes contained in milk out of survival. Others don't.

No, that is not how it works. Some people are born with lactase persistence and some are not. So far as I can tell, I was. I drank milk as a kid, no issues. Stopped drinking it in my teens and didn't drink it other than a little in coffee for years and started again around 30, no issues -- in fact, I felt better including it, although I improved my overall diet at that time so hard to attribute it to the milk. Stopped drinking milk again, continued lots of other dairy (cottage cheese, cheese, yogurt), no issues.
    I wonder about things like this... like if something is giving you heart burn would you just take a pill and continue to eat the item?

Personally, probably not, although my dad loves spicy foods and eats them even when they seem to disagree with him. This has zero, nada, nil, no bearing on dairy for many people, however.

You may want to think that everyone naturally has problems with dairy (why, I dunno), but that's false.

It figures that Lemurcat has already gone back in time and provided a link in a previous discussion by the time I manage to type out my paragraphs. :)

I guess some of us grew up playing with the "Science is easy" Barbie and others got stuck with the "Science is hard!" Barbie.
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    Options

Is almond milk truly a replacement for most dairy? The protein is lower, adding vitamin D to it isn't necessary, calcium is so-so depending on manufacture.

I don't need it for protein. I get enough protein from other sources. Calcium I get from the greens I eat. So really for me it's just a culinary replacement. I guess if someone is not eating the same as me it can seem milk is more imperative, but I was just jumping on the anecdote train with my own :P.

So by glossing over it, is it correct that you're not getting the D?

THE D, no. Vitamin D yes, but from suppliments or fortified whatever, like tofu. I'm not arguing for or against people consuming dairy. For me personally i chose not to, but im not going to jump up and down and yell at others ESPECIALLY when ive not done the research myself on the nutritional side.

Like i said, i have seen studies that support both sides but i never bothered to look into them in any details to see if they were *kitten* or not. And frankly, I don't have the knowledge in that field to decipher that on my own anyway so I'd likely be looking to professionals to dumb it down for me if I really wanted to understand.

I really just came to point out the absurdity of knocking someone else down for an anecdote while serving up another in its place is all :).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

You realize we know the answer to this, right? I even gave you a link in a prior discussion that explained it.
    Some people just simply adapt to digesting the sugar enzymes contained in milk out of survival. Others don't.

No, that is not how it works. Some people are born with lactase persistence and some are not. So far as I can tell, I was. I drank milk as a kid, no issues. Stopped drinking it in my teens and didn't drink it other than a little in coffee for years and started again around 30, no issues -- in fact, I felt better including it, although I improved my overall diet at that time so hard to attribute it to the milk. Stopped drinking milk again, continued lots of other dairy (cottage cheese, cheese, yogurt), no issues.
    I wonder about things like this... like if something is giving you heart burn would you just take a pill and continue to eat the item?

Personally, probably not, although my dad loves spicy foods and eats them even when they seem to disagree with him. This has zero, nada, nil, no bearing on dairy for many people, however.

You may want to think that everyone naturally has problems with dairy (why, I dunno), but that's false.

It figures that Lemurcat has already gone back in time and provided a link in a previous discussion by the time I manage to type out my paragraphs. :)

I guess some of us grew up playing with the "Science is easy" Barbie and others got stuck with the "Science is hard!" Barbie.

I was too lazy to do more than refer back to a prior discussion, but enjoyed your explanation.

Northern and western European ancestry here (British Isles and Sweden), so no surprise I do well with dairy. ;-)
  • French_Peasant
    Options

You had a Barbie? I had a "let's see what you can make of this" stick and a "what is the composition of this" rock.

Well, I had several Barbies, including the crown jewel of my collection, Peaches n' Cream Barbie, who liked to ride Prancer, but I didn't have a freakin' BARN or a bunch of freakin' BABY COWS! Feh. Spoiled rich kids. :)

I did have climbing trees and a crick and several neighboring farms--Herefords and Arabians and a Guernsey milk cow--to bum off of, however. Those were the most fun.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

You had a Barbie? I had a "let's see what you can make of this" stick and a "what is the composition of this" rock.

Well, I had several Barbies, including the crown jewel of my collection, Peaches n' Cream Barbie, who liked to ride Prancer, but I didn't have a freakin' BARN or a bunch of freakin' BABY COWS! Feh. Spoiled rich kids. :)

I did have climbing trees and a crick and several neighboring farms--Herefords and Arabians and a Guernsey milk cow--to bum off of, however. Those were the most fun.

Peaches n Cream Barbie was one of the greatest ever. I loved mine so much!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

That's not really a fact for everyone. Almond water tastes revolting to me and mashed potatoes aren't mashed potatoes unless they have milk and butter. Dairy is a staple in my diet and giving it up is not an option. People choose their battles, and just like I chose to have wooden furniture despite of deforestation I choose to continue eating dairy and animal products.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options

That's not really a fact for everyone. Almond water tastes revolting to me and mashed potatoes aren't mashed potatoes unless they have milk and butter. Dairy is a staple in my diet and giving it up is not an option. People choose their battles, and just like I chose to have wooden furniture despite of deforestation I choose to continue eating dairy and animal products.

I 100% agree with this. 1) There is no way I'd meet my protein goals without dairy. 2) Many recipes are not at all the same (nutritionally or in taste) without using real milk.
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    Options

Yup, and that's why I said it was personal and not forcing anything on anyone. Tastes can definitely change if you change your diet, but again, that's you. You do you. I'm not here to tell you what to do! Haha
  • French_Peasant
    Options

The point is simply that not all dairy cows are treated the way it was described. I'm not saying that these things don't happen. They do, but not all places everywhere. I don't mind anecdotes, so long as they aren't being used as a generalization.

A million experiments cannot prove me right, but a single one can prove me wrong.

In such instances, an anecdote is evidence against a universal proclamation. The way it was stated - "Totally wrong" - implied that the following description of bovine bashing is bountiful beyond belief.

Ooh...alliteration. Beowulfian, almost. I bet Beowulf drank some milk along with his mead.