If calories is a calorie-what's the issue with Sugar then? how to reduce intake? HELP!

Options

Replies

• heartofplastic
    heartofplastic Posts: 68 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    viren19890 wrote: »
    Saw a documentary "Fed up" and "Sugar Coated"

are there different types of sugar? like good sugar vs bad sugar? sugar in fruit vs sugarcane vs jaggery vs molasses vs honey?

How do I reduce my intake? -i'm not diabetic or have any one in my family or extended family suffering from it or have history of but those documentaries make me think.

I finally accepted that eating a pizza vs eating regular home made food is no different for weight loss as long as I maintain a deficit and now this?

The more I learn the more confused I get -who is right? who is wrong?

I'm not an expert but I've read that not all calories are equal because it takes a different amount of calories for your body to digest it after it's been consumed. For instance, 100 calories of carrots is not exactly the same as a 100 calorie cookie because your body will burn more calories digesting the carrots (some veggies like celery and broccoli are known to have "negative calories" because of this) so in the end, the 100 calorie carrot is a much better choice than the 100 calorie cookie... Or so I've read, but that was in just one article so who knows.
  • heartofplastic
    heartofplastic Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    RLester67 wrote: »
    Thermic effect of food exists, but the difference is trivial. And negative calorie food is a myth

Thanks for the clarification! Yeah, I wasn't sure about the negative calories thing either which is why I put it in quotations.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Sugar is sugar. The body breaks it down to simplest form and absorbs it. Good carbs get broken down to sugar. Don't believe all the hype.
    If sugar was really the issue to obesity, then countries that consume more than the US should also have an obesity issue, and most of them don't. Brazil as a country consumes more than the US.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Bro, they had Brazil on the list of obesity ridden countries lol
    What source?

http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/poorest-list/the-worlds-10-fattest-countries-in-2015/

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/01/23/obesity-in-world-countries-map_n_6530896.html

http://listdose.com/top-10-worlds-fattest-countries/

3 here and none show Brazil in the Top 15

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

are there different types of sugar? like good sugar vs bad sugar? sugar in fruit vs sugarcane vs jaggery vs molasses vs honey?

How do I reduce my intake? -i'm not diabetic or have any one in my family or extended family suffering from it or have history of but those documentaries make me think.

I finally accepted that eating a pizza vs eating regular home made food is no different for weight loss as long as I maintain a deficit and now this?

These message boards will just confuse you more because everyone on here thinks they're an expert... but let's be real/ logical here... if they were an expert... they wouldn't be on the message boards now would they? best of luck weeding through the BS.

Best advice I can give is speak with your doctor or go to a nutritionist.
    Doctors have less knowledge of nutrition than a nutritionist and a nutritionist didn't likely go to college to get a degree. If they did they would likely be a Registered Dietician.

And I'm an expert trainer on the boards with great knowledge. Are you saying that because people are on the boards they lack intelligence on the matter?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Raptor2763 wrote: »
    A calorie is NOT a calorie - THAT'S the issue.
    So a question: if I have 1 liter of water and 1 liter of soda, are you saying the liter of soda isn't a liter?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Sugar is sugar. The body breaks it down to simplest form and absorbs it. Good carbs get broken down to sugar. Don't believe all the hype.
    If sugar was really the issue to obesity, then countries that consume more than the US should also have an obesity issue, and most of them don't. Brazil as a country consumes more than the US.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I thought fiber doesn't do that. Isn't fiber a good carb?
    Fiber isn't a digestible carb. That's why it doesn't break down.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    After reading this article, and being someone who is trying to learn how to eat healthy, I am starting to get confused. Is it bad to eat fruit? I will make protein shakes with frozen fruit, bananas, spinach, etc. So is eating that as bad as eating a donut or a tastykake?

It's good to eat fruit. For women over 30 U.S. RDA is 1.5 cups of fruit a day. Lots of nutrients and fibre. If you mean "is the sugar in a fruit the same as a sugar in a donut", the answer is yes-ish. Fruits typically contain fructose but may also contain glucose or even sucrose (bananas and dates). Sucrose is 50% glucose & 50% fructose. Fructose is metabolized slightly differently than glucose, but close enough.

• Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    One problem with sugar is that it contains calories, and people often eat too many calories to maintain a healthy weight. If you are eating too many calories, cutting "bad sugar" intake (defined below) will be an easy way to lose calories from your diet without losing nutrition.

In terms of "good" sugars vs "bad" sugars, I dont really like that terminology since sugar is sugar, but it is often used so let me explain how I understand the concept: sugar is sugar, but not all sugar comes packaged the same way. If I eat an apple, it has calories from sugar but also fiber and vitamins and lots of good stuff. If I eat a handful of candy, it has calories from sugar but there is no nutrition to go with it. It is just extra calories that bring nothing to the table (other than taste of course). So, rather than good/bad sugar, I find it more helpful to think about the calories I eat today to be a budget, and some ways to spend my calories are going to give me more bang for my buck when it comes to nutrition. For every calorie I spend on nutritionally sparse food, that's less nutrients in my body. Eat nothing but candy all the time and I will feel hungry and crappy all the time because have an unhealthy diet. That being said, sometimes I eat non nutritious but caloric foods because want something with that flavor more than I need the nutrition at that moment. Or because I just want a quick injection of calories to keep me going, like during the triathlon training I'm doing. But I do that as a treat here and there, not as a major part of my diet.
  • goldthistime
    Options
    Could someone familiar with the subject help me understand the differences between glucose and fructose? And for that matter, the difference between fructose in fruit and the fructose in HFCS? I'd just google but a quick peek earlier had me concerned about the reliability of the source I was reading. Is it true, for instance, that fructose has a lower glycemic index? And yet has more potential to harm the liver if consumed in excess than glucose?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Could someone familiar with the subject help me understand the differences between glucose and fructose? And for that matter, the difference between fructose in fruit and the fructose in HFCS? I'd just google but a quick peek earlier had me concerned about the reliability of the source I was reading. Is it true, for instance, that fructose has a lower glycemic index? And yet has more potential to harm the liver if consumed in excess than glucose?
    Aaron_K123 is a molecular biologist and I believe he linked some sources to it, but I can't seem to find the thread. Maybe PM him?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• goldthistime
    Options
    Aaron_K123 is a molecular biologist and I believe he linked some sources to it, but I can't seem to find the thread. Maybe PM him?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I will. Thanks.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

I'm not an expert but I've read that not all calories are equal because it takes a different amount of calories for your body to digest it after it's been consumed. For instance, 100 calories of carrots is not exactly the same as a 100 calorie cookie because your body will burn more calories digesting the carrots (some veggies like celery and broccoli are known to have "negative calories" because of this) so in the end, the 100 calorie carrot is a much better choice than the 100 calorie cookie... Or so I've read, but that was in just one article so who knows.

The argument against a cookie (which in many cases has more fat than sugar) vs a veggies is the macronutrient and micronutrient profile. Comparing one item against another is not really a good argument since peoples diets are a composition of multiple foods. Overall, a healthy or even unhealthy diet could have both of those foods in it. This is why many on this board advocator for a diet of wholesome food, but if you do have a little bit of calories left over, than it's ok to incorporate some treats, especially if you feel it's going to help you stay on track. A lot of people tend to forget that dieting is also a psychological battle.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Raptor2763 wrote: »
    A calorie is NOT a calorie - THAT'S the issue. Calories from proteins, fat, and sugar are used in a set sequence. To be clear, sugar is fairly common. I think what you're referring to is refined sugar - as in the kind found in candy, cake frosting, or even the cake itself. Calories from refined sugar - also called "empty calories - have ZERO nutritional value (hence the term "empty").

Now, if the best solution is to avoid the problem, how to deal with refined sugar?
    1. You're gonna have to become expert at reading labels. HINT: anything ending in "ose" such as "sucrose", "dextrose", or "glucose" should trigger a red flag. Also, be on the lookout for sugar-type substitutes, like stevia and truvia.
    2. Shopping the periphery of the store physically avoids the problem - the sugar-laden products are on the shelves in the middle.

BTW - same general idea holds for salt. You'll find all the salt you need in the food you eat. No need for more.

Just pointing out that the body runs on glucose. It's so important that if you don't eat enough of it, your body will produce it through glucenogenesis.

Also would like to point out that cakes are mainly fat and many cookies have less sugar than many fruits. They are just void of fiber.

OP, there are a variety of sugars and largely they are processed the same, with the exception of fructose. Either way, one should look to get adequate nutrition and not consume large amounts of added sugar.

And even the fructose is in large parts turned to glucose.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    So basically it was indeed a "shockumentary". Whatever I thought I learned was not worth learning however, I did see them talking about a study done on rats/mice- in which they were given cocaine and sugar water and they got addicted to sugar water lol

Basically sugar is sugar -it was to make things easier for people to understand when one did not have fancy calculators or websites with the label of "good" vs "bad" -there was nothing inherently bad in ice-cream sugar vs sugar in an apple other than the whole caloric levels and composition of the said food item.

Good to learn another lesson in nutrition.

Thanks all the posters.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    So basically it was indeed a "shockumentary". Whatever I thought I learned was not worth learning however, I did see them talking about a study done on rats/mice- in which they were given cocaine and sugar water and they got addicted to sugar water lol

Basically sugar is sugar -it was to make things easier for people to understand when one did not have fancy calculators or websites with the label of "good" vs "bad" -there was nothing inherently bad in ice-cream sugar vs sugar in an apple other than the whole caloric levels and composition of the said food item.

Thanks all the posters.

Exactly.
    And even that rat study...it only showed that rats would rather eat than get high.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Thanks all the posters.

Exactly.
    And even that rat study...it only showed that rats would rather eat than get high.

Good for the rats. So many people can't even pull off priorities like that.